Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,202 members, 7,815,190 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

The 90s In Music. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The 90s In Music. (3920 Views)

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? / 90s Old School Reggae Songs? Any Suggestions? / Remember these R&B, Soul and Hiphop tunes/artistes of the 90s? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 12, 2012
I honestly believe only the 70s can compete in terms of quality. Let's rep the music of the 90s here. In honour and memory of Whitney Houston, I'll start with one of her songs.

[flash=400,400]http://www.youtube.com///v/3JWTaaS7LdU&feature/relmfu[/flash]

Possibly the biggest hit of the 90s, 14 weeks at number 1 and 43 weeks in top 40.
Re: The 90s In Music. by lalaboi(m): 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2012
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
^ Excellent choice, soundtrack of movie of the same name.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 13, 2012
Twisted (Secksual healing remix) . . . . . .  Keith Sweat

[flash=300,300]http://www.youtube.com///v/GQGFMv5Z3Nk[/flash]
Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 11:03pm On Apr 21, 2012
I think I started a thread on this section once about the excellenc(e)(y) of the 90s, and the relevance to Music.

In the 90s, my religion was rap. A little bit of dance music as well, but mostly rap. The soulfulness of the poetry arrested me.
My timeline was something like Soul 2 Soul, C&C Music Factory,Vanilla Ice, Kool Moo Dee, Fresh Prince, Rock Base, Hammer ('90), NWA, Ice Cube, Snap, Ghetto Boyz & Naughty By Nature in '91.

92-94 and the entire rap scene went up ten notches. Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg,The Dogg Pound, Jeru, Jungle Brothaz, KRS One, Chubb Rock, Heavy D, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Nas, Pharcyde, Eric Sermon, Diggable Planets, a Tribe Called Quest, House of Pain, Onyx, and so many others. They rocked each and every joint. Those three years I still consider to be the Golden Age of Rap. Lyrics were pure, beats were eclectic. I was an undergrad then, and suffered irreparable damage to my GPA as a result of being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of talent. grin

95 was an in-between year. 96-98 was somewhat split between the West Coast ('Pac), East Coast (Biggie also known as the greatest lyricist of all time), and The Fugees. 99 was when rap started to go south, ending in the much-reviled Southern Crunk. In 2012, I watch Weezy on stage, and shake my head in regret. Why did the 90s have to end?

2 Likes

Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 21, 2012
AjanleKoko: I think I started a thread on this section once about the excellenc(e)(y) of the 90s, and the relevance to Music.

In the 90s, my religion was rap. A little bit of dance music as well, but mostly rap. The soulfulness of the poetry arrested me.
My timeline was something like Soul 2 Soul, C&C Music Factory,Vanilla Ice, Kool Moo Dee, Fresh Prince, Rock Base, Hammer ('90), NWA, Ice Cube, Snap, Ghetto Boyz & Naughty By Nature in '91.

92-94 and the entire rap scene went up ten notches. Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg,The Dogg Pound, Jeru, Jungle Brothaz, KRS One, Chubb Rock, Heavy D, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Nas, Pharcyde, Eric Sermon, Diggable Planets, a Tribe Called Quest, House of Pain, Onyx, and so many others. They rocked each and every joint. Those three years I still consider to be the Golden Age of Rap. Lyrics were pure, beats were eclectic. I was an undergrad then, and suffered irreparable damage to my GPA as a result of being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of talent. grin

95 was an in-between year. 96-98 was somewhat split between the West Coast ('Pac), East Coast (Biggie also known as the greatest lyricist of all time), and The Fugees. 99 was when rap started to go south, ending in the much-reviled Southern Crunk. In 2012, I watch Weezy on stage, and shake my head in regret. Why did the 90s have to end?

Mr Brother, brother! Na fall hand be dis, Vanilla Ice does not belong in that list.

My intro to rap of the 90s was Gin & Juice, but as far as I am concerned there's only one rapper - Tupac Amaru Shakur

Listened to my favourite Heavy D rap earlier today; Water Bedhev - smoking album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogEsGuQWH4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB21E74C014B60D6E
Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 11:23pm On Apr 21, 2012
^^
I just had to include Vanilla Ice. Ice Ice Baby comes after Everybody Dance Now in one mix tape I did in 1990 grin

Actually, I was never keen on Tupac. Apart from Changes and Dear Mama, I have never liked any of his music. He's no lyricist, not on the same level with the best of that era. My personal opinion.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 21, 2012
^ What?! Tupac not a lyricist in your opinion?! shocked Complete fall hand pata pata

All eyez on & The Don Killuminati - The greatest rap albums of all time, that bro is an indisputable fact!

1 Like

Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 11:58pm On Apr 21, 2012
naijababe: ^ What?! Tupac not a lyricist in your opinion?! shocked Complete fall hand pata pata

All eyez on & The Don Killuminati - The greatest rap albums of all time, that bro is an indisputable fact!

Which of his albums? Seriously now, which one?
None of them come any close to Biggie's Ready To Die.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 12:18am On Apr 22, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Which of his albums? Seriously now, which one?
None of them come any close to Biggie's Ready To Die.

Listen to Brenda's got a baby, come back and tell me seriously if Biggie is as deep.

Again bros, ALL EYEZ ON ME & THE DON KILLUMINATI, mehn, wrting the names of those two albums sef dey give me goose bumps cool.

Biggie isorai too sha but no way near Tupac, death senior sleep anyday, gba be!
Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 9:42pm On Apr 22, 2012
naijababe:

Listen to Brenda's got a baby, come back and tell me seriously if Biggie is as deep.

Again bros, ALL EYEZ ON ME & THE DON KILLUMINATI, mehn, wrting the names of those two albums sef dey give me goose bumps cool.

Biggie isorai too sha but no way near Tupac, death senior sleep anyday, gba be!

LOL. Sacriledge grin
All Eyez On Me, legbe Ready To Die shocked
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 22, 2012
AjanleKoko:

LOL. Sacriledge grin
All Eyez On Me, legbe Ready To Die shocked

Shio, ready to die, if na Life after death you even dey compare e for better.

All eyez on me- 9x platinum

Ready to die - 4x platinum

And the masses have spoken grin
Re: The 90s In Music. by mbulela: 10:55am On Apr 23, 2012
AjanleKoko: In 2012, I watch Weezy on stage, and shake my head in regret. Why did the 90s have to end?

grin grin
Re: The 90s In Music. by FOREXMART(m): 7:06pm On May 12, 2012
where i got nuts with rap was with "tha shiznit" by snoop dogg. Thats my best all time freestyle. Although am from a metallic rock background lol.
Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 5:01pm On Jun 01, 2012
Two contemporary fellas that have brought back the 90s in rap for me are Bobby Ray Simmons (B.o.B) and Lupe Fiasco.

Those two boys drop rhymes as cool as ice water - just the way it was done back in those days. In this century, the world view of rap has been severely damaged by the likes of Li'l Wayne, T.I., Rick Ross, and 50 Cent (yeah, I just said 50 Cent!).

Y'll should go get that album - The Adventures of Bobby Ray. Pure Class.
Re: The 90s In Music. by joeyfire(m): 8:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
AjanleKoko: Two contemporary fellas that have brought back the 90s in rap for me are Bobby Ray Simmons (B.o.B) and Lupe Fiasco.

Those two boys drop rhymes as cool as ice water - just the way it was done back in those days. In this century, the world view of rap has been severely damaged by the likes of Li'l Wayne, T.I., Rick Ross, and 50 Cent (yeah, I just said 50 Cent!).

Y'll should go get that album - The Adventures of Bobby Ray. Pure Class.

Honestly I can't understand the hype about lil wayne, rick ross and co.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 01, 2012
who has heard Ralph tresvant- sensitivity and jade don't walk away, etc...I can listen to the latter a million times and not gett enough, since last year! u shud YouTube the songs
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2012
gmyguy: who has heard Ralph tresvant- sensitivity and jade don't walk away, etc...I can listen to the latter a million times and not gett enough, since last year! u shud YouTube the songs

Ralph Tresvant used to be tha bomb, somehow Bobby stole his thunder
Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 7:50pm On Jun 07, 2012
naijababe:

Ralph Tresvant used to be tha bomb, somehow Bobby stole his thunder

Na very simple mata.
We didn't need a man with so much Sensitivity grin, just a dude that was Good Enough cool
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 07, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Na very simple mata.
We didn't need a man with so much Sensitivity grin, just a dude that was Good Enough cool

Or could hump around grin
Re: The 90s In Music. by mbulela: 8:45am On Jun 08, 2012
naijababe:

Pls don't be cruel.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 08, 2012
mbulela:
Pls don't be cruel.

It's my prerogative darling grin
Re: The 90s In Music. by AjanleKoko: 10:32am On Jun 08, 2012
naijababe:

Sorry to disappoint, Ain't Nobody Humping Around.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Ibime(m): 2:44pm On Jun 08, 2012
AjanleKoko: I think I started a thread on this section once about the excellenc(e)(y) of the 90s, and the relevance to Music.

1998/99 cannot be washed out the history of rap. That was a special year for rap with the likes of Big Pun, Eminem and Canibus coming out, not to mention Talib & Mos Def, DMX, The Lox, Dead Prez, Big L etc.

Although the Soutthern bounce music rose in the late 90's, the death of rap can be properly traced to the decline of Rawkus and Loud records.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 08, 2012
Ibime:

1998/99 cannot be washed out the history of rap. That was a special year for rap with the likes of Big Pun, Eminem and Canibus coming out, not to mention Talib & Mos Def, DMX, The Lox, Dead Prez, Big L etc.

Although the Soutthern bounce music rose in the late 90's, the death of rap can be properly traced to the decline of Rawkus and Loud records.

His beaf with LL was his demise but 2nd round knockout was awesome though. Didn't care much for Eminem but I liked Stan and his feature in 'Forgot about Dre' although last two songs weren't in the 90s sha.

Dang, I miss the 90s
Re: The 90s In Music. by Murphy7h4: 9:24am On Jun 09, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Vally11: 2:20am On Jun 10, 2012

Hey Hey Hey.... weezy has some quality rhymes grin wink
Re: The 90s In Music. by dayokanu(m): 2:32am On Jun 10, 2012
I think the mid- late nineties was when things changed

That was when all the good music was exhausted
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 10, 2012
dayokanu: I think the mid- late nineties was when things changed

That was when all the good music was exhausted

Disagree, the excellence of the 90s continued into the early 2000s but went downhill from '03.
Re: The 90s In Music. by dayokanu(m): 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2012
Post 2000, which quality rap album was released Blueprint or Marshall Matters?
Re: The 90s In Music. by KayDee4: 5:10pm On Jun 10, 2012
Abeg who said 2pac is not a lyricist ? take time o grin

I like them both (Pac and BIG) and I see their styles of rapping differently just like JayZ and Nas - BIG has a way with words and he puts them together in a way that rhymes well to sound good to the ears while Pac is more poetic with his rhymes.

I started listening to rap in the early 90s : LL Cool, NWA, Snoop, Dre, Ice Cube, Naughty by Nature, KrissKross (I watched their first video on black and white TV cheesy cheesy ), etc etc - cant remember a lot of names right now. After the death of BIG and 2PAC, the quality of rap music peaked around 98/99 with the Fugees (as a group and their solo albums), Puffy and Mase tearing up the charts in their shiny suits, Busta Rhymes, Nas coming back with "I am" and Nastradamus, JayZ with the Hard knock life and "Life and Times of S. Carter", LL was back on the scene with a couple of albums, the noisy DMX was on top of his game, the white boy Eminem on MTV wowing every1, Big Pun, Fat Joe, Jarule (was wack and noisy but i liked him anyway),LOX, Common, Talib, Mobb Deep,Mos Def, Canibus (was always goin to be a flash in the pan). Lots of mixtapes (Sound Bomber, FMF, Violators, lyricist lounge) with underground rappers that made a lot of sense, the comical Red and Methodman, Wutang, et, etc. Then came the JayZ and Nas beef (Blueprint vs Stillmatic) in the early 2000s and 50 cents with his loud mouth and since then i hear the wackest things pumping out of my radio; sadly hiphop is finally dead.

**Nas fan to the core but that ni99a has totally lost the magic touch he used to possess**.
Re: The 90s In Music. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 10, 2012
^ Na Ajanlekok dey yarn dust jare, Pac not a lyricist my foot! Between Nas and Jay-z, I'm sorry gotta be Nas all the way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download Mr Young K Feat Morell - Tafiya (official Mp4 + Mp3) / Lovely Song: Linda Ikeji by Elvis Grey (download) / Jive Angels - "Let's Go Jive"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.