Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,318 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg (1895 Views)

See What Basketmouth Is Going To Johannesburg With / – Man Who Shot South African Lucky Dube Says He Thought He Was A Nigerian. / 18yr Old Unarmed Boy Is Shot Dead By Police In Ferguson, Missouri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by bibiking1(m): 9:16am On Oct 19, 2007
Popular reggae musician Lucky Dube was shot dead in south Africa Yesterday Night. I am beginning to reconsider if Watson might have been right in his postulation. This man was influential in elevating African Music industry and yet the barbarians still killed him
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by evergie(m): 9:39am On Oct 19, 2007
post the link (source of information)
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by bibiking1(m): 9:52am On Oct 19, 2007
www.mg.co.za/, /breaking_news/breaking_news__national/&articleid=322400&referrer=RSS -

www.fijilive.com/news/show/news/2007/10/19/fijilive8.html

I think it is realy pathetic
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by bibiking1(m): 9:55am On Oct 19, 2007
http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL19496643.html

South African reggae star shot dead
Fri 19 Oct 2007, 5:55 GMT

[-] Text [+] (Adds police spokesman, reaction)

By Marius Bosch

JOHANNESBURG, Oct 19 (Reuters Life!) - Gunmen have shot and killed South African reggae star Lucky Dube in front of his son and daughter in one of the highest-profile murders in the country, police said on Friday.

Dube, 43, was killed in an apparent carjacking attempt on Thursday evening and police were searching for three suspects, police spokesman Eugene Opperman said.

"They allegedly tried to take his vehicle, but then shots were fired and he was fatally wounded," Opperman said.

The murder of South Africa's biggest-selling reggae singer cast a pall over the national mood a day before the country's rugby union team face England in the final of the World Cup.

Some callers to radio stations said the South African team should play wearing black armbands as a sign of mourning for Dube.

Opperman said the singer was attacked shortly after 1800 GMT in Johannesburg's Rossettenville suburb. Police earlier said he was dropping his son off when the attack took place.

Dube's killing is one of the most high-profile killings in South Africa, which has one of the world's worst murder rates.

The number of rapes, carjackings and assaults also are high, with some of the most violent types of crime rising last year despite efforts to beef up police forces.

Dube recorded more than 20 albums in his career and won over 20 awards locally and internationally. His first album, released in 1984 with the title "Rastas Never Die, was banned by the country's apartheid government.

According to Dube's Web site, the singer had just completed a month-long tour of the U.S.

During his career he performed across the world and shared the stage with music stars such as Sinead O'Connor, Peter Gabriel and Sting among others.

Paul Boateng, Britain's ambassador to South Africa, told Talk Radio 702 he was shocked by Dube's death. "Both my wife and I are big fans, It is a great loss to music internationally".
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by ogalanya(m): 10:09am On Oct 19, 2007
cry may his soul rest in peace
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by otokx(m): 11:22am On Oct 19, 2007
South Africa is one of the worlds most dangerous place to live in; I wonder how they won the hosting rights for the next world cup.
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by bibiking1(m): 11:54am On Oct 19, 2007
i think that right should be withdrawn from them sef, if just a few years to the event their security situatipon is still so precarious.
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by ademiller(f): 11:56am On Oct 19, 2007
well i neva believed it until i made a very thorough investigation. i heard that this great icon is dead. lucky dube has touched many lives throughout the globe, thru his songs. i mean my mom made us listen to him every day when we were young. he is our inspiration and to be sincere he is the only south african who i saw to be very handsome. to be murdered infront of his kids,isnt that sick. why are people so wicked?i heard he was taking his kids to school when he was shot. well guys, i have this to say. the people at the back of wicked act, we leave for God. well guys this particular page is for any lover of this great man. u can post a tribute, pictures, anything for this great singer. May his soul rest in the bosom of our Lord. Amen
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Afam(m): 12:06pm On Oct 19, 2007
May his soul rest in perfect peace.

On 2010 world cup, shifting the venue to another African country won't be a bad idea because if South Africans can effortlessly kill one of their best then they won't think twice before killing, robbing and maiming foreigners during the world cup in 2010.
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Aiphie(f): 1:00pm On Oct 19, 2007
His death is a loss not just to Africa but to the whole world. cry cry cry
May God grant him eternal rest.
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by bibiking1(m): 7:11pm On Oct 19, 2007
i think thats what should be done
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by vikiviko(m): 7:23pm On Oct 19, 2007
Security situation in SA is sad.
The world cup is approaching, the security agencies should beef up security networks.
Sad for one of Africa's brigthest Musician.
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by bibiking1(m): 4:24am On Oct 20, 2007
their hosting rights should be taken away from them
Re: Lucky Dube Is Shot Dead In Johannesburg by Horus(m): 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2007

Convicts criticise Dube’s killing 

The death of reggae icon Lucky Dube has touched even convicted prisoners serving time for taking other people’s lives.
Almost 100 inmates at Boksburg Prison signed a petition condemning the killing of Dube, whom they described as a freedom fighter.
“Though we are serving sentences for crimes similar to this one, we feel we have wronged our nation and there is no justification for this barbaric act,” they said.
“This is our way of apologising to the community and a sign that we have changed. We say to our peers, crime does not pay. You don’t know the pain you are causing to (Dube’s) loved ones, friends and fans,” they said in the petition faxed to Sowetan.
They condemned the killing “with the disgust it deserves”, saying the murderers have no respect for human life.
They said serving time in prison had opened their eyes. They acknowledge their past mistakes and “had learnt to accept them”.
“The inmates of Boksburg Correctional Services would like to send our heartfelt condolences to the family of our music icon and hero of the freedom struggle, the late Lucky Dube,” they said.

Source: http://www.sowetan.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=596770

(1) (Reply)

Obesere / Rev.mrs Dele George / Omosexy Celebrates Xmas In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.