Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out (1846 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 9:41am On Oct 19, 2007
Hey people the latest release of ubuntu named gutsy gibbon came out yesterday, and the good news is that i have installed it and , my God the stuff is toooo good, just when i tot the last release i.e feisty fawn was the bomb, gutsy takes things to the next level, its super stable,comes with compiz fusion by default,recognizes most of your drivers out of the box,printers support is excellent and to cap it all, it came with the latest gnome release, man the is a most get for anyone looking for power. control and stablilty for their desktop, and as with ubuntu nigeria, we have the cd at least here in lagos, but we would be passing to all out members around nigeria soon, including an application cd that would ensure that u nener get to download anything on line, cheers cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by sholasys: 9:51am On Oct 19, 2007
Nice one Bigrovar, i was the one that send u my address from Ph that i needed ubuntu. How far ?
U can post me your yahoo chat Id
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Ralvy(m): 10:04am On Oct 19, 2007
yh! That's some REAL THANG cool, I started the download yesterday night and it's on 65% now, although I had to pause the download for Ubuntu Ultimate Gamers Edition, the bandwidth consumption for that thang is crazy!

Can't wait for the download to finish!
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 10:24am On Oct 19, 2007
You can post me your yahoo chat Id

bigbrovar yahoo
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by netotse(m): 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2007
na wa o, u guys jst like to confuse pple how often do new versions of ubuntu come out?
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 11:06am On Oct 20, 2007
na wa o, u guys jst like to confuse people how often do new versions of Ubuntu come out?
a new version of Ubuntu comes out every 6 months,feisty fawn the last one came out last april , gutsy the latest version came out this month, the next one is due in April, maybe u u were confused by the ubuntu ultimate release, well that is just an Ubuntu os dvd made by a user for those without internet connections so that u can get all the best applications on ubuntu without having to download anything, N.B u can be more polite next time u want to ask a question ,
u guys just like to confuse people
is a rude way of seeking understanding if u are confused,
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by lynxnoon(m): 4:21pm On Oct 20, 2007
pls guys,
can one use UBUNTU 4 windows xp?
thanks smiley
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 4:28pm On Oct 20, 2007
hmm i cant quite get u , but to for ur information ubuntu is an Operating System just like winodws xp or Vista, so its not an application that u could run on xp, but u can dual boot ur system in such a way that it runs both ubuntu and windows xp, e.g i run both vista and ubuntu on one system thru dual booting, hope that answers ur question
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by lynxnoon(m): 4:34pm On Oct 20, 2007
@bigbgrovar
tnx 4 d info.
pls hw can i dual boot my system 2 run both win xp & ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Ralvy(m): 4:44pm On Oct 20, 2007
See the blog for help;

www.ubuntunigeria.
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by nazzyon(m): 8:28pm On Oct 20, 2007
It has a Vista like look.

Bravo to Linux crew

After trying it and posting about it on my Blog. I have decided that it will be installed  in my next laptop.

Right now it is only the OS that is capable of dragging me away from Windows pending the time Viena will be released in 2010.

KUBUNTU 7.10 is awesome.
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by hayprof(m): 3:39am On Oct 21, 2007
Na Wah for the Ubuntu OS Ooo.

Hw many Releases will we have to Install?
undecided
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Nobody: 4:53am On Oct 21, 2007
what's the difference between ubuntu and windows? Can it run windows apps?
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by hayprof(m): 5:13am On Oct 21, 2007
davidylan:

what's the difference between ubuntu and windows? Can it run windows apps?

Ubuntu Is an OS just like Windows (not exactly)

-The Deal is that -Ubuntu is free to all [OpenSource] While Windows is Cash in Hand

Yes, It can but with the Help Of Some Apps.
-I think Wine or So
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 12:54pm On Oct 21, 2007
hayprof:

Na Wah for the Ubuntu OS Ooo.

Hw many Releases will we have to Install?
undecided

my dear friend the problem is not with ubuntu , the problem is with u, u are suffering from an over doze of windoze syndrome , and and one of the many symptoms are not being used to choice, u c in ubuntu there are lots of choices for people to choose from, for example, u can use gnome based ubuntu for simplicity,or use kde based kubuntu for a windows feel and backed by lots of power,and if u have a system that is low on hardware e.g P2,p3 and below 256 ram-128 ram etc, then xubuntu is for u it is based on the xfce Desktop environments and it works very well with systems with low end hardware,
beside if u are an artist u can get ubuntu studio with comes installed lots of packages and applications for artist,video editors and the likes, u can even get ubuntu ultimate with is a variant of ubuntu for pple without internet connection, it has everything u need in an os preinstalled,
so u see when u have an opensourse os anything can happen, if i have the knowledge i could get the source code of ubuntu and and develop an ubuntu that is based on the needs of NIgerians, unfortunately i dont have the knowledge for that cus am just a law student, so my friend get ubuntu and get used to choice
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by hayprof(m): 4:16pm On Oct 21, 2007
Imagine him telling me all this as if am a Newbie , ?

@bigie, u knw i aint down for all these ur talks, I do what i wanna do whenEva I wanna.

And u knw hw we get down ? Innit?

And don't u look at me like am a Omokekere 4 Ubuntu Ooo, cos u mite not knw I dey build the Ubuntu -Nigeria Version!

So, Please!
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Ralvy(m): 4:41pm On Oct 21, 2007
BiG OlOdO:

And don't u look at me like am a Omokekere 4 Ubuntu Ooo, because u mite not knw [s]I dey build the Ubuntu -Nigeria Version![/s]
So, Please!

Ha-ha!
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by hayprof(m): 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2007
Yeah Mehn!

True 4 shizzie
wink
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2007
Imagine him telling me all this as if am a Newbie , ?

@bigie, u knw i aint down for all these your talks, I do what i want to do whenEva I want to.

And u knw hw we get down ? Innit?

And don't u look at me like am a Omokekere 4 Ubuntu Ooo, because u mite not knw I dey build the Ubuntu -Nigeria Version!

i no know watin i go talk but true u be my oga for ubuntu , i just dey surprise when i dey ask me watin u don teach me, maybe u just dey test me , i no know , sorry sir lol
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by hayprof(m): 9:38pm On Oct 21, 2007
-lol,

No Long thing ma boi.

-Go to bed Now!
wink cool
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by netotse(m): 10:07pm On Oct 21, 2007
bigrovar:

N.B u can be more polite next time u want to ask a question , is a rude way of seeking understanding if u are confused,
@big
chiaman take it easy o! i was jst messing around, didnt mean to sound rude, ok?
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Ralvy(m): 10:00am On Oct 22, 2007
NO MORE cool
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:58am On Oct 25, 2007
ahmed how everything, i dey see una hand work here o, brovar hows gutsy doing ? cant wait to have a feel. i need to get myself a small but mighty laptop but i doubt if i'll be able to read lol
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by h4rdc0d3d(m): 1:27am On Oct 25, 2007
UBUNTU ROCKS!! Downloaded Gutsy annd running it for a week now. Beryl work like holy hell, Those Apple guys are just talking crap with Leopard or whatever it is they are releasing this week. Erm wireless, Graphics everything works. Did I also mention that I have ordered it!! some caveat though-- Beryl eats battery for breakfast! and excessive Hard Drive Activity and slow boot time but WTH Is the beta and I will be upgrading when I get the final release!

Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Ralvy(m): 9:16am On Oct 25, 2007
That's Nice. . . I am currently downloading Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon DVD (4.23GB) It is a combined install/live DVD allows you either to install Ubuntu permanently on a computer, or (by entering 'live' at the boot prompt) to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all.

PC (Intel x86) install/live DVD
For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by t73901234: 6:17pm On Oct 25, 2007
I NEED HELP PLS

my laptop doesn't have a DVD drive and i have Ubuntu ultimate Edition OS on
a DVD which i need to install urgently.
I have an external DVD drive but of course it can't be set as a boot device
but i have already copied d whole OS on my PC currently running on windows.
So i wouldn't know if there's a file similar to .exe that can be run
to install frm the HDD or can anybody suggest a way out pls.
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by Ralvy(m): 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2007
There's no way. grin

al this new ids. . wuna de fear me o

browse thru d bios properly and see if there's USB CDROM Device . .

Otherwise, Virtualization might be the way out (run ubuntu inside xp)

Sounds horrible ryt?

Browse thru d Bios and get bk tu us!
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by t73901234: 11:14pm On Oct 25, 2007
HELP WITH UBUNTU INSTALLATION

i use a laptop with a CD drive and i have the Ubuntu Ultimate Edition OS
on a DVD.
I got an external DVD drive but of course it can't be set as a boot device
and i need to get Ubuntu installed on my notebook urgently.
The OS content has already been copied to my HDD
(my sys is running on windows currently) but i wouldn't
know if there's smthg similar to .exe that i can run frm the
content on the hard disk to install directly like windows 2k and above.
anybody with a useful suggestion pls?
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by hayprof(m): 11:23pm On Oct 25, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

ahmed how everything, i dey see una hand work here o, brovar hows gutsy doing ? can't wait to have a feel. i need to get myself a small but mighty laptop but i doubt if i'll be able to read lol

Omo, i dey O.

Hw u dey, where u con run to? Why u wan Divorce ur Desktop for a Laptop (I swear no Lappie fit do wetin ur Desk' they do!)

I go call u for Phone jare. wink cool
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by nkc(m): 9:06am On Oct 26, 2007
ade i have a mighty laptop, check my posts, thanks
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 11:32am On Oct 26, 2007
t73901234:

HELP WITH UBUNTU INSTALLATION

i use a laptop with a CD drive and i have the Ubuntu Ultimate Edition OS
on a DVD.
I got an external DVD drive but of course it can't be set as a boot device
and i need to get Ubuntu installed on my notebook urgently.
The OS content has already been copied to my HDD
(my sys is running on windows currently) but i wouldn't
know if there's smthg similar to .exe that i can run frm the
content on the hard disk to install directly like windows 2k and above.
anybody with a useful suggestion please?

Hey mahn i think i have a solution for u, i have the latest release of ubuntu gutsy on cd and i have created a small application cd that contains many of the apps u have on ubuntu ultimate, so if u are interested u can get intouch with me , damn ! i 4got that i dont have a phone , ok u can call my girl friend's number 08036434756 her name is tope anything u tell her would get to me grin i hope i will be able to help u out, PS i stay in lagos
Re: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon Is Out by bigrovar(m): 11:37am On Oct 26, 2007
my man ralph i have sent ur package o, contains the latest ubuntu gutsy plus a small apt cd i have been able to make, plus feisty fawn apt dvd and a cd containing themes and wallpapers ,sources and debs packages, u should be getting them next week, take care

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Ashan And What Is G.w.bush / Comments raised here was when Wankel was in its old form / Help With Swift 4G Wimax Modem + Wi-fi Router

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.