Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,894 members, 7,824,745 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed (24332 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Seun(m): 10:08pm On Feb 13, 2012
Today, I inaugurated the board of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) under the leadership of Dr. Christopher Kolade. I also had the great privilege of kicking off the Public Works Women and Youth Empowerment Programme which is an intervention programme designed to employ 370,000 youths in the year 2012 with 30% of those jobs being reserved for women. This programme will also place young graduates as interns in firms and companies with a view to sharpening their skills preparatory to engaging in entrepreneurship and those firms that choose to retain these graduates will be given incentives by the Federal Government. This is only one step in government's plan to provide the enabling environment for all willing Nigerians to get to work and compliments the Youth Enterprise With Innovation in Nigeria (YouWin) initiative which I launched on the 11th of October 2011.

I want to close this day by remembering a great fallen patriot, a man who paid the Supreme price for this nation and a man whose zeal for Nigeria's unity knew no bounds. Today, I remember General Murtala Ramat Mohammed who fell to the assassins bullets on this day 26 years ago. May his soul continue to rest in peace. GEJ

https://www.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck/posts/323375514379496
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by damola1: 10:11pm On Feb 13, 2012
RIP murtala.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Sunofgod(m): 10:17pm On Feb 13, 2012
Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P)

[img]http://globalresearch.ca/coverStoryPictures2/24386.jpg[/img]

Enough said. . . .
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Afam4eva(m): 10:19pm On Feb 13, 2012
Murtala can be remembered for so many things including masterminding the Asaba massacre. RIP Murtala.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Challas(m): 10:22pm On Feb 13, 2012
Ride on GEJ.I pray that God will give u d wisdom to take this country 2 d promised land.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by executinal(m): 10:34pm On Feb 13, 2012
Good GEJ. Lets see how it goes
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by mentorken05(m): 10:38pm On Feb 13, 2012
Av we 4gotten so soon ωђατ murtala mohammed did 2 innocent biafran citizens(children,women nd minors) during d war?he dosent worth his pic being on #20 note
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by CarlosVent(m): 10:45pm On Feb 13, 2012
GEJ no matter what happens we shall keep supporting you and I know that God will use you to touch the lives of people in this Nation which you have already started doing.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by moderattor: 10:49pm On Feb 13, 2012
GEJ has in less than 3yrs proven to be Nigeria's greatest President!
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Eagle75: 11:00pm On Feb 13, 2012
Seun:

https://www.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck/posts/323375514379496

Today, I inaugurated the board of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) under the leadership of Dr. Christopher Kolade. I also had the great privilege of kicking off the Public Works Women and Youth Empowerment Programme which is an intervention programme designed to employ 370,000 youths in the year 2012 with 30% of those jobs being reserved for women. This programme will also place young graduates as interns in firms and companies with a view to sharpening their skills preparatory to engaging in entrepreneurship and those firms that choose to retain these graduates will be given incentives by the Federal Government. This is only one step in government's plan to provide the enabling environment for all willing Nigerians to get to work and compliments the Youth Enterprise With Innovation in Nigeria (YouWin) initiative which I launched on the 11th of October 2011.

I want to close this day by remembering a great fallen patriot, a man who paid the Supreme price for this nation and a man whose zeal for Nigeria's unity knew no bounds. Today, I remember General Murtala Ramat Mohammed who fell to the assassins bullets on this day 26 years ago. May his soul continue to rest in peace. GEJ

Oga na 36yrs ago not 26yrs, every other things said; we dey watch ooo. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by otajipopo: 11:03pm On Feb 13, 2012
When I saw 26 years ago I was like did I witness MMs regime without knowing cos I was told the story.
I think MM died 36 years ago and not 26.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by babaowo: 11:04pm On Feb 13, 2012
@moderator, Can u pls define a great president
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Mucokey(m): 11:10pm On Feb 13, 2012
stil GEJECTED, only time ll tell.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by desertboom(m): 11:16pm On Feb 13, 2012
SURE-P. . . Nigeria government is very good at tagging attractive name to government policies.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by kutchs: 11:28pm On Feb 13, 2012
Good job My presido! Your detractors will surely eat their words leta.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Afam4eva(m): 11:29pm On Feb 13, 2012
Sure-p sounds like the name of a rapper.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 13, 2012
Oh. . . Its now SURE-P, no longer SURE? Nigerian govts and slogans sha, well it does sound "rapperly".
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Maisuya1: 11:50pm On Feb 13, 2012
I just have 2 questions:

1. Where are the initial promised palliatives, including the commissioned busses meant for states?

2. When are we going to stop commissioning, kickstarting, constituting and start enjoying dividends, getting results, showing progress so far?
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Buhari1(m): 11:56pm On Feb 13, 2012
[b]MURTALA MUHAMMED

As the leader of the counter-coup, Murtala Muhammed commanded almost mythical loyalty from northern soldiers. He was from an influential northern family with close links to the NPC, and his uncle Inuwa Wada, was the former Defence Minister. Even when Gowon became the Head of State, he remained the power behind the throne. If anyone was going to rebel against a perceived anti-northern regime - it was Murtala. He would not tolerate disobedience from his subordinates, despite himself having "very little respect for constituted authority" (see Oluleye: "Military Leadership In Nigeria"wink.

The northern officers were joined by a number of federal secretaries, two Judges, prominent northern civil servants and by British and American diplomats who asked the northern soldiers to drop their plan to secede from the federation. As negotiations continued in Ikeja, the explosive Lt-Col Murtala Muhammed was the most vociferous and uncompromising advocate of northern secession. The civilian participants managed to persuade the northern soldiers to drop their secessionist plan, and their most senior member; Lt-Col Gowon was appointed Head of State.

The coup in Lagos was initiated by Lts Nathan and Nasarawa who managed affairs until their superiors; Lt-Col Murtala Muhammed, Major Martin Adamu, Shittu Alao, and Baba Usman arrived.

At the Ikeja airport in Lagos, northern troops commanded by Murtala Mohammed took over the airport and hijacked a British plane which they intended to use to ferry their families back to northern Nigeria after the northern region’s secession. Captain Okoye who was passing through Ikeja airport, was captured, tied to an iron cross, beaten and left to die an agonising death in the guardroom. A detachment of troops sent to try to recapture the airport was ambushed and routed by northern soldiers. In an irony of fate, ten years later, the international airport at Ikeja was renamed after the man who had captured it by force.

Some Igbo soldiers were able to escape from Lagos due to the clemency of Captain Mumadu of the 1st Brigade signals troops who allowed them to flee. [/b]

Revisiting History: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966 https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-651793.0.html

Hmmm, interesting.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by passyjango(m): 12:38am On Feb 14, 2012
Creating jobs is good, 370,000 jobs may not make any impact on the huge unemployment level in the country, but will make a huge difference to the youths you are lucky enough to secure them as well as their families. However, we need to move away from will and start getting things done.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by GboyegaD(m): 12:44am On Feb 14, 2012
Eagle75:

Oga na 36yrs ago not 26yrs, every other things said; we dey watch ooo. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. This committee is headed by someone who is 80years old under who Cadbury cooked her books. I don't know why he feels there are no better Nigerians.

Mai-suya:

I just have 2 questions:

1. Where are the initial promised palliatives, including the commissioned busses meant for states?

2. When are we going to stop commissioning, kickstarting, constituting and start enjoying dividends, getting results, showing progress so far?

Are you waiting to see it Bros, the more you look, the less you see oooooo.

kutchs:

Good job My presido! Your detractors will surely eat their words leta.

It is only a period of time, we shall all live to witness it. If he has 2 committees to work on fuel subsidy and you think that is right then, I SMH for you.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by GboyegaD(m): 12:49am On Feb 14, 2012
passyjango:

Creating jobs is good, 370,000 jobs may not make any impact on the huge unemployment level in the country, but will make a huge difference to the youths you are lucky enough to secure them as well as their families. However, we need to move away from will and start getting things done.

I hope this is possible but I have fears. Government in times past have always promised without result but I pray he succeeds in this and they should please make it on merit and not godfatherism.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by AGBORMAN1(m): 12:56am On Feb 14, 2012
Pls my dear President, i beg u to focus on 5 things & produce good result,
ur name will live forever.

1. Give us Electricity
2. Give us Electricity
3. Give us Electricity
4. Give us Electricity
5. Give us Electricity

Then i'll vote for u again 2015.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by kizito96(m): 2:10am On Feb 14, 2012
That's a good package by the President. Rest in Peace Murtala Muhammed
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by HighChief4(m): 2:11am On Feb 14, 2012
Fuuuckk Murtala Mohammed. Good riddance to bad rubish. Heartless beast!!!

Exactly on October 7, 1967, the federal troops under the command of Lt Col Murtala Ramat Mohammed committed the greatest genocide in Af, rica’s history. In a broadcast at Benin to signal what is to happen at Asaba on September 21, 1967, Lt Col Mohammed thundered, “I have already dispatched my forces to deal with the rebels around Agbor and Asaba”. Little wonder why Igbo women were violated, children maimed, pregnant women violated and their pregnancies emboweled from Benin, Agbor, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Uku with the grand finale been the butchering of over 2000 defenseless men and male children who had rolled out their drums to rejoice with the federal troops for recapturing Asaba from Biafran forces at St Patrick’s College area of Asaba by Lt Col Mohammed’s troop for alleged “Biafra sympathy”. All these happened in total disregard to the Geneva Convention and federal directive issued by the then Nigeria’s HOS, Major-General Yakubu Gowon.

In the words of 58 years old eye witness, Ifeanyi Uraih, who was a resident of Asaba then with his nine siblings and parents, “I cannot tell this story without tears in my eyes, but I have no bitterness in my heart… They ordered everyone to come out to the town square… They were honest with us. They told us they were going to kill us. They took us to the mounted machine guns. Then it dawned on us that it was true. I was standing with my older brother at the edge of the crowd. He was holding my hand. He had always taken care of me. We shared the same bed. He was the first to be dragged away by the soldiers. He let go of my hand and pushed me into the crowd. He was shot in the back. I could see the blood gushing from his back. He was the first victim of the massacre. Then all hell let loose. I lost count of time. To this day, I live with the smell of the blood of my brethren that night. Even the heavens wept for the victims of this holocaust. Finally the bullets stopped.” Luckily Uraih made it alive because the bodies of the people who were killed fell and buffered and him.

It is indeed 44 years today but the wound are still fresh. According to Chinelo Egwuatu, another survivor of the genocide, “We can forgive but we should never, ever forget… There is no way you can bring the people back, but you can at least acknowledge that it happened.” Special thanks to the University of Florida Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies and its team of researchers ably led by Erin H. Kimmerle, Professors Elizabeth Si Bird and Fraser Ottanelli who have elected to “break the silence, honour the dead, develop a historic record of the event and secure funding to build the permanent memorial”.

On the part of the Federal Government, it is time we put this ugly part of our history permanently behind us by giving the dead deserving state burial and proper apologies rendered to the surviving families of these great Nigerians, whose blood were wasted by bloodlust and hate-mongering soldiers. Anything less is begging the question and it behoves us all as Nigerians to seek justice for the dead
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by aljharem(m): 2:12am On Feb 14, 2012
Mai-suya:

I just have 2 questions:

cool cool cool cool cool cool + 160 grin grin
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:49am On Feb 14, 2012
For this Ijaw drunkard to mention mutala mohanmmee is an affront to the Igbos! Mutala mohanmee was the man behind the GENOCIDE in ASABA! That mohanmee shouldnt have a place in the history of a country that includes the IGBOS!
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Samoo01: 4:12am On Feb 14, 2012
President "Goodluck" Jonathan, an ex shoeless proletariat who's never seen a spending program he doesn't like, staged another event on Monday to propagandize his nominal "job creation program" by announcing his intention to create 370,000 new government jobs.

Sounds good on paper. Or does it?

Be that as it may, what the President failed to tell Nigerians is that he'll be loading an additional hundreds of thousands of people to the payroll of an already over bloated and redundant Federal Civil Service where ghost recruiting is a par for the course.

The government shouldn't be in the business of creating jobs. The earlier Mr. President and his minions reach the epiphany that Keynesian quick fix economic policies doesn't work the better for his approval ratings.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by psalmizt(m): 4:54am On Feb 14, 2012
Samoo01:

President "Goodluck" Jonathan, an ex shoeless proletariat who's never seen a spending program he doesn't like, staged another event on Monday to propagandize his nominal "job creation program" by announcing his intention to create [b]370,000 new government jobs.[/b]

Sounds good on paper. Or does it? cry cry cry cry cry cry

370,000 jobs my foot, I wonder why the actual description of these jobs hasn't trickled into cyberspace. I saw NOI on ChannelsTV yesterday giving a breakdown. Don't be fooled people, these jobs include Environmental Sanitation Representatives, Street cleaners, Garden tenderers and what have you. It is the height of stupidity to think of job creation in that light, Our leaders are wicked, our nation is doomed, the chicken would come home to roost, Only a matter of time.
A country that openly claim not to be interested in the plight of its people. To start with, does GEJ, or NOI or even SLS know how many people pass out of NYSC in 1year? That's about 200,000. Do the maths, how many of such get jobs? maybe 1%. Govt officials act like a set of Ignoramus, abeg, this matter tire me, Next Stop please
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by ememonl(m): 5:32am On Feb 14, 2012
Warever men, just show working, enough with the grammar. The boys are hungry - no time.

Mean while Happy Valentine's day to you all. I wish you so much love happiness and fulfillment.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-0jahrsj-6lc/Tzm6tV0l8AI/AAAAAAAARYE/FqAN9BZEep8/s320/1926494tesqmhwgox.gif[/img]

http://5slate..com/2012/02/brad-pitt-and-angelina-jolie-ban-kids.html
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by Eltonluigi(m): 5:43am On Feb 14, 2012
afam4eva:

Sure-P sounds like the name of a rapper.
Yea, a gangsta rapper with no street credibility.
Re: SURE-P: President Jonathan On Subsidy Reinvestment And Murtala Mohammed by simpleseyi: 6:49am On Feb 14, 2012
We are talking about Murtala Mohammed and the only things some people from the East can remember are his actions at the war front. What do you expect him to do during the war? Hug his enemies who are at the war to eliminate him and his battalion? Murtala Mohammed fought gallantly during the war and he deserves praises for that. You talk about the many Ibos that were killed, what about the Yorubaa and Hausas that Ibo soldiers killed or are you saying that through out the war, Biafran soldiers did not kill anyone from the other side? These are the same people that accuse Obabanjo of being too brutal at the war front. Is the war front a place to kiss your enemies? I don't know why Ibo parents are bringing up their children to hate other tribes. You said Awolowo betrayed Ibos during the war, but an Ibo man, Azikwe was the President and a Hausa man the Prime Minister when Awolowo was jailed for Treason and Treasonable Felony, yet Yorubas will not say Ibo and Hausa betrayed them by sending Awolowo to jailed.

Awolowo had the choice of supporting any of the parties during the civil war and he opted to support the Nigerian Army, whether that decision was right or not is Awo's problem, but he had two choices and he went with his heart. Ekweme and Shagari rigged Awolowo out in 1979 and 1983, yet, Yorubas will not cry over that. Any group of people that rise up in rebellion against a constituted government should be ready for the consequences.

Ojukwu was and is still a great man, I am very sure Ojukwu will never ever say that Awolowo betrayed him or that Murtala Mohammed commit genocide, Biafrans fought a war and they lost. Shikena Sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. Count your losses and move on with you life and stop bringing up your children to hate other tribes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Telephone Numbers Cloned—Governor Amaechi / Dahiru Zubairu Is Dead (Zamfara Governor's Chief Of Staff ) / Fakiya Olumide: Soldier Killed By Boko Haram Insurgents In Borno State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.