Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Lagos Storm: Residents Lament Losses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Storm: Residents Lament Losses (934 Views)

Rivers Gov Poll: Armed DSS Officials Storm Tribunal. / Fuel Scarcity: Nigerians Lament Lack Of Petrol (see Tweets) / Lagos Residents Lament Absence Of Infrastructure (Fashola's Projects Sinks) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Storm: Residents Lament Losses by smlafolabi(m): 8:48am On Feb 14, 2012
As residents of Lagos count their losses after a storm ravaged different part of the state early Monday morning, some of those who lost their property said they were thankful to be alive.

Yaba, Ikoyi, Obalende, Ejigbo, Lekki and Ajao Estate were some of the areas hardest hit by the storm.

One of the occupants of a building in Adekunle area of Yaba, on which a billboard fell, Mrs. Ruqquiat Raimi, said although she suffered much loss, she was happy that her children were unhurt.

Raimi said, “Around 7am, when the wind began blowing fiercely, a tree just beside my house suddenly fell and I had the premonition that the billboard could collapse as well.

“A few minutes after I took my children out, the billboard collapsed. I am grateful to God for sparing my life but most of my valuables and even the goods for sale were destroyed.

“When the billboard was to be mounted in 2010, I told the police authorities not to allow it because it was dangerous. But they went ahead. I hope the government will look into the matter because if this had happened at midnight, I might not have been this lucky.”

On Church Lane, Makoko, two boys sustained injuries after a pillar in an uncompleted mosque gave way and fell on them. The boys were later rushed to a nearby hospital.

Similarly, a security guard and his son were injured after a billboard near the Central Ordnance Depot of the Nigerian Army, Yaba, collapsed and fell on them.

A few metres from the scene, a mast at Skye Bank on Montgomery Road also collapsed, destroying parts of the adjacent house at 366, Muritala Muhammed Way, Yaba.

Two electricity poles near Acess Bank on Herbert Macaulay Road also fell, blocking a portion of the service lane.

In Ijeshatedo, Ago Okota, Jakande and Bucknor Estates in Ejigbo, many houses were destroyed by the storm. The disaster left many people homeless.

The roof of a Pentecostal church, End Time Victorious Bible Church, on 16, Villabond Street, off Aiyelegun Road, Bucknor Estate, Ejigbo, was blown away by the storm.

Because of the ferocity of the wind, the roof fell on many buildings in the area and destroyed them.

The General Overseer of the church, Favour Igbokwe, told one of our correspondents that the storm shook the entire foundation of the church.

She said, “I was sleeping in my office when the wind started blowing. The ferocity of the storm was such that before I could come outside to see what was happening, it had carried the entire roof to a far distance.

“The wind blew off our musical instruments, chairs, fans and countless things. As you can see, our church members are trying to salvage what they can save. I thank God that no life was lost.

“I am grateful to God because as soon as I left my office, the office roof was also blown off. It was such a terrifying experience. Right now, I cannot quantify the destruction done to our church; my office and the fence.”

A community leader, Albert Oke, said the roof that was blown off by the rainstorm affected his building on 97, Alabi Oyo Street, Ejigbo.

The 77-year-old retiree said the storm was an evil wind which wreaked havoc on many buildings on his street and adjoining ones.

Oke said, “The breeze was too heavy. I only experienced its type about 10 years ago. Since then, I have not experienced it. It is not because the buildings are not strong enough; it is because the wind was simply evil.

“I cannot tell you the cost of damage now. But I know I have lost greatly. I do not know what caused such an evil wind. See, I am an old man; where will I get the money to carry out repairs?”

A resident of Olaifa in Ago-Ikotun area of the state, Mr. Ogochukwu Odum, said he had never seen such a storm before, adding that the rainstorm removed the roof of a building and destroyed no fewer than eight vehicles on display for sale.

One of our correspondents observed that the roof of Oke-Afa Police Station under construction was also damaged.

The same situation was observed on Tijani Salako Street where almost all the fences and makeshift houses were destroyed.

Residents of Ijeshatedo area were also counting their losses when one of our correspondents visited the area.

One of them, Ngozi Dumuje, who lives on Sanya Street, said it was shocking that a fence, which took them years to build, could be destroyed in a twinkling of an eye.

Read 409 times

(1) (Reply)

Violence in Ibadan. / Edo State July 14 Poll Decide. (ACN Vs PDP) Vote Now. / For The Love Of Biafra :: A Protest Letter From Akanu Ibiam To The Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.