Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. (24173 Views)

Buhari Declares Free Higher Education / Kwankwaso Declares Free Education In Kano / CBN Donates ₦500M To University of Agriculture In Abeokuta (UNAAB) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Tinkinguy(m): 3:01pm On Feb 14, 2012
Rochas declares free Education in Imo state to University level.
Conditions:
1) The student’s Father must be from Imo or both parents must be from Imo.
2) He/She must be attending Imo state owned schools
3) He/She must be certified by the traditional ruler of his place, by local liaison officer of his community that he/she is truly from that community in Imo state.
4) For Imo university student of Imo state, each will get 100,000 per school year, out of which 70,000 will be the bursary for the school fee and 30,000 as loan/grant from the state.
5) After graduation and the graduate start working, only once he/she start working, then the graduate can pay the 30,000 grant to Imo state coffers, if he can only remember what help he received.

you can follow the state of Imo Address right now via Channels;

http://www.channelstv.com/global/live_video.php

I think this is a good and great step.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by peckhamboi: 3:07pm On Feb 14, 2012
I just heard as well, how is he going to fund this?
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Tinkinguy(m): 3:10pm On Feb 14, 2012
I asked myself the saem question,
but I do know when someone said to his friend he is going to the market to buy a shoe, it only means he already have the capacity finacialwise to by the shoe.

let watch and also pray for him.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Feb 14, 2012
Assuming there are 10,000 students enrolled in Imo State Universities annually, Imolites are looking at their government spending about Naira 1000, 000,000 on students, only at the university level? And this is likely in addition to other costs to maintain the same schools each year.
 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by homerac7: 3:31pm On Feb 14, 2012
^

That's same amount Presidency uses to buy food in a year my dear. Kano state spent above dt for building house as parting gift to the ex-governor. Most of northern states spend more than dt on pilgrimage yearly.

IMHO, it will b money well spent.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Tinkinguy(m): 4:09pm On Feb 14, 2012
I do think, the Governor would have done his calculations and estimations before makeing the annoucement,
Recall, when he did same for the primary and secondarys, even to the extent of providing uniforms and canvass for pupils of primary school, there were doubts of how this will play out, and uptill now, the program have continued.

I guess he will push this well also, and am happy for him.

he is doing something that will help his people, thats the spirit,
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Afam4eva(m): 4:18pm On Feb 14, 2012
Why do you think he did not do calculations before making pronouncements? Are you smarter and him and his special advisers?
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by wesley80(m): 4:22pm On Feb 14, 2012
This is great, very very good. The zeal of his people towards embracing educatn has got to be encouraged but this is going to cost the state cos I don't think any other state has got as many peeps in skool at the tertiary level. I hope he pulls this off.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Tinkinguy(m): 4:27pm On Feb 14, 2012
@Afam,
I guess you did not read my post very well for proper understanding.
I never said he did not do his calculation, what I said is that "I DO THINK" which means I assumed he had done his calculations.

Bros, na whoaa for you o!!, the smart guy.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by chukwuawka(m): 4:30pm On Feb 14, 2012
Kudos to him, agu ana agba egbe ona ata nli,the plan is manifesting gradualy,
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Feb 14, 2012
Yes,it is progressive deeds like this we need not just in imo but all over the country. Carry go, Governor Rochas.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 14, 2012
Kobojunkie, cool down. Your attacking imo state is now seen as a sinister move instead of clearly constructed criticism. Do you know how much is the IGR of Imo state every month?

In btw,I know a Nigerian, not even in govt, that can buy the both madagascar and maldives with enough balance left to buy another island.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Okijajuju1(m): 4:51pm On Feb 14, 2012
Another bad idea.

This is the same idea that has caused the decay in the education sector today.
NOT EVERYONE IS SUPPOSED TO GET A UNIVERSITY EDUCATION. . . .

Instead of a blanket 100,000 Naira for all imo state indigenes that gain admission into the university, how about you spend a shi't load of money in upgrading the state owned universities to a 75% standard on the Harvard/Princeton/Yale-sacle of measurement, make the schools independent to charge as much as they would require to run the schools, research and all and then the government provides a MERIT scholarship to deserving indigenous students to studying in these institutions with a promise of a job upon graduation.

Also channel money into building a world-class vocational institute, that would have visiting international lecturers from all over the world. This way, what you would have is a Carpenter that graduated from "IMO STATE VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CRAFT & TECHNOLOGY" that can write a standard proposal, do a world class job and that can charge a comensurate fee for his/her services. You would see Imo state producing world-class graduates and then these private universities would lose patronage. Imo would have their graduate tailors strutting their shi't on the Newyork/Paris and Milan catwalk, their technicians being sort after by Fortune 500 companies, e.t.c.

Im tired of these half-baked graduates litered all over the place and screaming NO-Job.!  angry

Bleep Okorocha, that nigger is still as clueless as he was the day he dicided to start paying minors 100 naira per month salary. I wonder how much that 100 naira can get them now with the increase in price of commodity brought on by the subsidy removal.  angry

1 Like

Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by IYANGBALI: 4:51pm On Feb 14, 2012
free but WITHOUT ANY QUALITY
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Nwaaba1(m): 4:55pm On Feb 14, 2012
wow well done my Governor.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Davidbanky(m): 4:59pm On Feb 14, 2012
I dnt care how he funds i†̥ ,all i knw is †ђa† †ђξ money is still not up to what thεy steal,atlst he is doing something,i rembr one guy came here to complain about him,wish †ђa† guy can comment on †н!$ now
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by iykak47: 5:01pm On Feb 14, 2012
Fashola must hear this cool.
Ichie Rochas i doff my hat to you, you dont allow us to rest after
celebrating your achievement before you add another one  smiley smiley smiley
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by passyjango(m): 5:02pm On Feb 14, 2012
Well, that is great, hopefully it will be qualitative education.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Kolababa: 5:03pm On Feb 14, 2012
Any other governors in Nigeria can do the same including the poor Kogi, Osun and Ekiti but the greed and selfishness of the politicians will not allow that. For a governor like Rochas to think of this laudable move, he must have sacrificed some benefits he and his aids should enjoy and that is the essence of selfless government.
Even Lagos with all the money runs into billions cannot do this except that the peanut Fashola is giving from those billions and people are hailing him.
I CONGRATULATE THE IMO PEOPLE FOR HAVING ROCHAS.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Chinom(m): 5:04pm On Feb 14, 2012
Grandstanding !!. I go believe am when i see am. Idea is good but,
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Koolking(m): 5:07pm On Feb 14, 2012
History in the making. That's noble. I see Imo becoming one of most fastest develop states in Nigeria. Education is a catalyst for change. The govt of Rochas is wise and would definitely receive the supports of Nigerians who yearn for CHANGE.

I also see a sudden population explosion in Imo state. I hope the govt has drawn up a blueprint to address the imminent threat to the state.

Let's prove the presidency wrong that the president does not need to come from IMO in order for people to feel the impact of governance.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Konnektions146(m): 5:08pm On Feb 14, 2012
he must have made his calculations wrt di and know dat he can pull it before makin it public

@Okija ,
i always respect yu broda but i ve seen u dont like anythin abt okorocha
rome wasnt built in a day,
Okija_juju:

Another bad idea.

Instead of a blanket 100,000 Naira for all imo state indigenes that gain admission into the university, how about you spend a shi't load of money in upgrading the state owned universities to a 75% standard on the Harvard/Princeton/Yale-sacle of measurement, make the schools independent to charge as much as they would require to run the schools, research and all and then the government provides a MERIT scholarship to deserving indigenous students to studying in these institutions with a promise of a job upon graduation.

angry
wen this is done, how many people can afford it? yu re a witness to all dis private universities and how exhorbitant it can be acquire so_called standard education.

if 10,000 imo students gets this grants, it will amount to abt N1b which u know is no money to be spent in a year.
his predecessor ddnt do this much, in short many governors never and wont do dis.

y cant we applaud good initiative for God`s sake

IYA NGBALI:

free but WITHOUT ANY QUALITY

he can choose not to do anythin and de school will still remain same but yu cant loose at both ends, at least subsidizing education and hoping that de standard improves.

i hope the standard of the IMO state school will be looked at, i just hope so

kudos my man Rochas
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by olabukola: 5:10pm On Feb 14, 2012
Kolababa:

Any other governors in Nigeria can do the same including the poor Kogi, Osun and Ekiti but the greed and selfishness of the politicians will not allow that. For a governor like Rochas to think of this laudable move, he must have sacrificed some benefits he and his aids should enjoy and that is the essence of selfless government.
Even Lagos with all the money runs into billions cannot do this except that the peanut Fashola is giving from those billions and people are hailing him.
I CONGRATULATE THE IMO PEOPLE FOR HAVING ROCHAS.
How there you castigate Fashola, are u not Yoruba?
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by trustidkid: 5:11pm On Feb 14, 2012
right step in the right direction, big up to the governor. rochas needs to be encouraged as he continues to transform imo people. may god help him actualise his dream. god bless you.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by inene: 5:12pm On Feb 14, 2012
i admire governor rochas and his guts.  i want to believe that he has done his calculations well and can pull this off. if he does there would be no governor like him in the annals of the state.  he will beat de sam in the minds of imo people.  he has in a short time done what the former governor could not do in four years.  just visit and see massive road construction in the state.  i wish him well and pray god to keep him to do more for the good people of imo.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by odomanis: 5:14pm On Feb 14, 2012
IYA NGBALI,

Would you prefer it expensive and of no quality? Point of correction,it is not free. Their state government is paying for it. The school authority if corrupt free will use this money to maintain and run the school. This is a commendable gesture which should be supported by all.

Welldone Rochas !!!
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by iykak47: 5:18pm On Feb 14, 2012
Okija_juju:

Another bad idea.

Also channel money into building a world-class vocational institute, that would have visiting international lecturers from all over the world. This way, what you would have is a Carpenter that graduated from "IMO STATE VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CRAFT & TECHNOLOGY" that can write a standard proposal, do a world class job and that can charge a comensurate fee for his/her services. You would see Imo state producing world-class graduates and then these private universities would lose patronage. Imo would have their graduate tailors strutting their shi't on the Newyork/Paris and Milan catwalk, their technicians being sort after by Fortune 500 companies, e.t.c.

Im tired of these half-baked graduates litered all over the place and screaming NO-Job.!  angry

Bleep Okorocha, that nigger is still as clueless as he was the day he dicided to start paying minors 100 naira per month salary. I wonder how much that 100 naira can get them now with the increase in price of commodity brought on by the subsidy removal.  angry

@Amadioha Okija, check am now my governor is better than yours who used state fund to purchase  a new aircraft,dont tell me he sold the old one.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by alienkind: 5:19pm On Feb 14, 2012
Where is action governor,Oshiomhole,over to you
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Feb 14, 2012
Rochas Okorocha has said it that he will beat sam mbakwe's record in Imo state.

But I don't agree with the  criteria for one to be qualified. He should extend the gesture to not just Imo indegenes but also to residents.
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Marlboro1: 5:21pm On Feb 14, 2012
Good job governor. It will be great if you can also build another university in Imo State to help absorb the hundreds of thousands of Igbo students -especially Imo who are not able to get into the few existing universities in the country. Now that Imo University is going to Ideator, it will be great to start another one in Owerri / Mbaise zone. The people will forever remember you and remain greatful for that.

By the way, why are the other governors of South East just looking at this guy with limited resources and experience instead of copying him? Why cant Peter Obi of Anambra and Theodore Orji who have been in office for long not able to replicate Rochas' massive infrastructural development and educational revolution? Why are they starting to look like real wasted opportunities?
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by Ejine(m): 5:22pm On Feb 14, 2012
While I commend the Imo state governor for this daring task, I hope we all use this opportunity to put Abia state in serious prayers.
The news I'm getting from my younger cousin regarding the state of affairs in that area is less than encouraging at the moment  cry
Re: Rochas Declares Free Education In Imo State To University Level. by olabukola: 5:22pm On Feb 14, 2012
iykak47:

@Amadioha Okija, check am now my governor is better than yours who used state fund to purchase  a new aircraft,dont tell me he sold the old one.
I tot he is from Imo State too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Student Faces Disciplinary Action For Drinking Water From Bottle’ During Dinner / Gunmen Attack Plateau State University, Many Feared Killed And Injured / Ekiti Students Protest Fee Hike, Fayose’s Policies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.