Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,163 members, 7,835,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods (2796 Views)

Check Out How Ondo People Are Appeasing The Gods For The Epidemic Disease / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) / The Ijebu People And Their Ancestral Hometowns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 6:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
The late father of my mother was laid 6 feet down together with his gods in a good riddance burial. He's burning in hell with all his "idols" his children say.
His own gods had to make way for Jesus despite them being indigenous to the land. His native beliefs are now foreign in a land which belonged to his ancestors.

This cultural suicide (or perhaps one may define it as “civilization”) is certainly not unique to my grandfather's tale as illustrated by ghastly news such as this:
http://www.cultureindevelopment.nl/Culture_in_Development/News/Common_News/368/Pentecostal_Christian_Evangelists_Destroy_Ancient_Artifacts_in_Nigeria

Whilst I maintain the belief that spirituality is not and should not be hereditary I find it quite poignant that this man's belief had been eclipsed by a foreign import - Christianity.

The crusade against ancestral gods is certainly not righteous. Destroying gods that resembled and represented Africans and installing ones that do not. Is this not a form of debasement? Isn’t renouncement enough?
Those iridescent "idols" that partly vindicated Africans to the Europeans that were so sure that Africans had no skills to exhibit. Whilst many of these gods are facing the death penalty in Africa today, they are being "rescued" by Africa's converters and sit in museums as trafficked refugees in foreign abodes.
If Europeans were to endorse these largely demonized native beliefs would some Africans begin to re-evaluate them?

Of course not everything should be defended or protected in the name of tradition or any other name for that matter but can't certain things be revised? Refined? Or reformed just like with Christianity once upon a time?
It seems to me there is an unvoiced opinion held amongst a circle of Africans that the "repented" African is somehow the "civilized" African undecided

Why are some Africans afraid of African spirituality?
Why are some so against the native beliefs?

1 Like

Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by ifyalways(f): 8:21am On Feb 16, 2012
To answer your questions:
Ignorance.
Self hate.
White is good,black is evil.

Btw,I hope they added a little "cross" to fight and perhaps sanctify the man and his "demons"?lol
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 1:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
ifyalways:

To answer your questions:
Ignorance.
Self hate.

Btw,I hope they added a little "cross" to fight and perhaps sanctify the man and his "demons"?lol

Yesterday I was in conversation with a Ugandan man. Oh dear, the things I heard.
He credited Christianity for introducing civilization to the dark continent. By means of what I thought. Slavery? A very civilized introduction for a product that is supposedly an embodiment of civilization abi? (smh)
To test his esteem I then asked him a question. If he was sickly and I supplied him with medicine originating from Africa and Europe, which medicine will he likely employ to treat his ailment. Unsurprisingly he said the European product. They are after all better marketers I suppose but he defended his choice by calling the African medicine "crude" and it made me think. . .are there parallels with the choice he made with the medicine and that of his faith as he also dismissed African beliefs as "primitive" or is this a result of conditioning.

I am aware that there were particular atrocious acts existing in Africa - as well as other parts of the world - but does that automatically make us uncivilized people.

There are countless civilizations that predated the era of Christianity on the continent. Perhaps Christianity brought some things that were good. But was that "good" largely undercover work? Was those "good" done in a good way?

One thing I've noticed between Asians and Africans - Asians maintain what is theirs and do not easily accept what is foreign. On the other hand Africans, most appear to be outward-looking people and adopt aplenty from without at the expense of what is theirs. Of course there are advantages and disadvantages to both behaviour. Albeit, it's just a personal observation.

Hmmn colours are subjective tongue but I get your point.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by EEngineer1(m): 6:25pm On Feb 16, 2012
@op, u r right, but just go straight to the point, where do u belong?
do u want to be Mrs.Pagan 9ja
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 6:31pm On Feb 16, 2012
Excellent exposure dear friends!
For some people, everything that comes from outside is better ,
Even think they see progress and civilization in what actually caused the enslavement of their ancestors.
IFYALWAYS: Exactly , that reasoning is simple: White is good, black is a devil , "Our God is good, your gods are devils"
Cause much pain that some Africans have no memory, and embrace the beliefs and traditions that were the cause of Africa bled, and that still bleeds.
These attitudes (my humble opinion) are the no-progress to Africa, and will turn against themselves.
Africa suffers from an identity crisis caused by the Europeans, has always marked the territories, separated ethnic groups, enslaved, killed , and his great goal has always been this: to destroy the identity and traditions , A people without identity always be a slave.
I wonder: If the African gods were indeed (as some say) the cause of the deterioration in Africa, the new Western God has something better?
The enemies, who enslaved and enslaving Africa are not African gods nor ancient traditions ,
Are those who have always exploited the penetration African military, economic and cultural.
To destroy these traditions is easy , to rescue the ancient African ethical values ​​is the big challenge.
Please excuse my bad English
I hope I have offended anyone
I express my profound respect for all.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:19pm On Feb 17, 2012
WE WILL rebuild shrines on the ruins of churches and mosque.

WE WILL give our ancestors, their due respect.

WE WILL revere The supernatural and Godly forces through nature and its creations.

WE WILL throw out the fake man-worshiping idols of jesus the carpenter.

WE WILL revive our culture, heritage and our IDENTITY.

WE WILL bring back our lost self-respect.

[size=32pt]WE WILL RE-BUILD OUR NATION[/size].

[size=64pt]I PAGAN 9JA, TAKE A OATH TO DEFEND MY HONOUR, FAITH AND BELIEFS AGAINST ANYONE WHO DARES TO CHALLENGE IT.[/size]

WHAT ABOUT YOU?

Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 2:34pm On Feb 17, 2012
E-Engineer:

@op, u r right, but just go straight to the point, where do u belong?

I believe I have gotten straight to the point already. But for emphasis my point is. . . accepting Christianity or Islam or any other such religions that originated from without (Africa) is not a prerequisite for civilized conduct. I am not against any ones religion or faith if the conviction is not contrived nor conceited. However I am against the ill notion that some Africans appear to sub-consciously or consciously erroneously believe that Christianity/Islam is a staple of civilization or now that their eyes have been opened to the "truth" all other practises outside the perimeter of their religion/faith is "satanic"/"uncivilized". A yes for Christianity is not a yes for civilization and a nay for animism is not a nay for primitiveness. There are positives in animism and a lot of that can be adapted instead of falsely summarizing the whole of native beliefs as "witchcraft".

The irony of this whole charade is that those who introduced the word of God to Africa host many of the renounced gods/idols in their plush galleries - reaping a neat sum for their vain effort whilst the overzealous converted Africans continue to destroy them. Why do the converters see the treasure in what Africans see as devilish? If according to them these idols have no power as god why would they have any power as demonic entities?
Demonising ones own culture whilst glorifying another?
Religious dieties are a reflection of ones society.

do u want to be Mrs.Pagan 9ja

I don't think this is a serious question so I'm not motivated to answer such.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 3:57pm On Feb 17, 2012
Dear friends emöfine and Pagan 9ja

I understand that both are saying the same thing. Possibly what is in the methods differ. I understand and support both positions.
I think it's much more positive rescueing the ancient traditions that embrace alien beliefs, which are not more civilized, on the contrary ,
It is possible that many Africans still do not have any awareness of the great cultural treasure they have.
I respect them both very much.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by redjasper1: 9:56pm On Feb 17, 2012
I think those 'converters' see the treasure in what religious Afrakans today see as devilish because they know the real power behind our Deities. The infiltrators have definitely pulled some job on us they have told us in that which we practice the very source of OUR power is evil and uncivilized all the while helping themselves to a blessing behind closed doors. This is why much of the powerful stuff remains far underground another part to that is many initiated into the lower phases of the systems are not always interested in what will be most beneficial to the Afrakan struggle, you have initiates in these systems not only divining for the outside but sharing the little science they have come to master with any devotee waving a buck.

That is a problem we could solve ourselves by better supporting OUR elders financially, if the financial and social support was there a lot of the rut would be regulated across the board and some would even see their powers being stripped the elders would make sure of it.

Lastly we can never think to blame the Gods for the deterioration of AFRAKA there were many oracles forewarning of what was to come AND how to prepare before the first carrack had been put together! If the chief has become bigger than himself, and will not take heed to the messages delivered by the preists it breaks the balance needed between the two realms and opens up an immense vortex for human error, it was not the Deities who broke divine order but rather those who were in charge of the land during those periods. Maybe a theory but a very prominent theory among the Afrakan esoteric community. There's an old saying that a hard head makes a soft toochy and from what I see we're still getting our toochys smacked across the globe because of our hard heads!
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 10:14am On Feb 18, 2012
I think those 'converters' see the treasure in what religious Afrakans today see as devilish because they know the real power behind our Deities. . .

I disagree. I doubt they attach much "real power" to these gods. However I believe they see worth (both as a capitalist and anthropological way of thinking). That is why they are free from the fear of superstitious repercussion - you see, even some converted Africans are still governed by a similar fear that exists amongst animists (except the converted populace believe it's for righteousness sake and an embracement of civilization.)
If the Europeans and co did see "power" in these gods they would revere them as such and not solely as antiques because in some cultures back home the display and looting of these gods would be deemed as sacrilege. I guess one can say that certain outsiders have recycled what Africans have now made redundant or almost deplete. But there will still be much debate about the function these gods are now serving today in their foreign abodes albeit we all don't regard these "idols" with one shared thought. Just because Europeans and the likes have "preserved" these gods, you must remember what for as they exist in a commercial environment which is an antithetical depiction of an archetype god (and such betrays their lack of reverence). If you think about it, a characteristic of a god is to supply wealth not be the means to that gotten wealth - because the selling of god can be likened to selling ones soul. Thus I guess one can conclude that it was not only the Africans that were bought and sold as mere products; their gods suffered a similar fate.
If anything it serves to highlight how detached most of these outsiders are to the spiritual potency of these items. Funnily enough the fact that some Africans will go as far to burn these gods could even convey that some still attach a certain kind of power to them in which they hope to finally quench.
But certainly the Europeans and co are business savvy whereas Africans take matters rightly or wrongly concerning spirituality very seriously - as our neighbours have kindly given us the "word of God" (at a price) they have adopted our rejected gods (again, at a price). Those relegated gods operate under new roles today. Their sceptre had been stripped from the moment they were renounced (and perhaps similarly with Africa's esteem).

Yet I believe one could be delicate, astute or even capitalist in how they deal with certain dying practises because it's astonishing how ignorant and hostile we have become to our own culture and I bet that if our ancestors were to be captured in some sort of concrete form some Africans will burn them also because they may be termed as "demonic mediums".

you have initiates in these systems not only divining for the outside but sharing the little science they have come to master with any devotee waving a buck.

That is a problem we could solve ourselves by better supporting OUR elders financially, if the financial and social support was there a lot of the rut would be regulated across the board and some would even see their powers being stripped the elders would make sure of it.

Interesting point. Still a lot of knowledge is protected and hidden by the custodians - that's even one of the reason why I despair and frown when whoever quickly dismisses native beliefs as "primitive" and round them all up to be "witchcraft" because I wonder to myself, how much does such a person truly know to summarize them as such.

There's an old saying that a hard head makes a soft toochy

Sorry, but what's toochy? embarassed
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 10:21am On Feb 18, 2012
@Ptolomeus I really appreciate your input. Thanks.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2012
Remeber, what fate befell the foolish white men who raided the ancient tombs of the Pharaohs in Egypt and the curses reigned upon them. most of them died.

Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by EEngineer1(m): 9:56pm On Feb 19, 2012
@op, cant u take a joke, must u be so mechanical, i agree with ur point its just that i dont have the strength to start writing out my bogus analysis of all these things
u still havent answered my question, are u a christian or ATR?
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 10:02pm On Feb 19, 2012
E-Engineer:

@op, cant u take a joke, must u be so mechanical, i agree with ur point its just that i dont have the strength to start writing out my bogus analysis of all these things
u still havent answered my question, are u a christian or ATR?

tongue I wasn't angry and I didn't mean to sound so "mechanical".

What's ATR?

I'm not a Christian by the way.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by EEngineer1(m): 10:58pm On Feb 19, 2012
ATR means african traditional religion. U must be a hajiya (moslem) then?
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by redjasper1: 5:24am On Feb 20, 2012
emöfine:
Thus I guess one can conclude that it was not only the Africans that were bought and sold as mere products; their gods suffered a similar fate.

In many cases yes the systems have been bought and sold as mere products but the forces behind the systems can only be summoned for purpose, they can never be bought or sold. After I had started the path in america I became increasingly upset at some of the various houses I went through, it was all about 'money and ego' I came to see. There were white 'converters' in some who took the craft more serious than their black counterparts, behind closed doors I witnessed this, they had no problem following the calendar and led some of the best rituals! Whites recognize the value we both should definitely agree on that whether it's capitalistic, spiritual or otherwise.

emöfine:
Still a lot of knowledge is protected and hidden by the custodians - that's even one of the reason why I despair and frown when whoever quickly dismisses native beliefs as "primitive" and round them all up to be "witchcraft" because I wonder to myself, how much does such a person truly know to summarize them as such.

The person who summarizes them as primitive is actually correct our systems were the first of their kind and didn't derive from anything but the Gods themselves! The trouble is that many from the outside don't have a clear picture of what really transpires inside the systems many are even under the impression of the tradtional path being polytheistic, failing to realize the role of the forces within our galaxy playing to that of the 'supreme' force. If such people began to look at what they considered 'witchcraft' through more of a scientifical lense instead of the status quo religious dogma it would better their understanding of the philosophy behind the native beliefs. The base of much confusion I think lies where many see fit to have a keen grasp on the manipulation of force while prematurely disregarding other aspects, ancient Khamit it took long years to truly master this stuff, like any other science in that if you aren't a devoted practitioner of the field you'll have limited understanding of it. I would ask those same people 'how do aircraft fly' and if not put into exact terminology I likewise would dismiss it as witchcraft!

emöfine:
Sorry, but what's toochy? embarassed

The rear end.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 3:10pm On Feb 20, 2012
E-Engineer:

ATR means african traditional religion. U must be a hajiya (moslem) then?

No. I have my own beliefs; maybe they’re not as defined or rigid as the organized faiths and that I do not adhere to any entity but I’d rather maintain my own identity and flexibility than having to put my own in a bracket just to satisfy a statstic therefore making me free from any yoke.
Still I can appreciate and admire the spirituality of another individual if I find their philosophy harmonious. smiley

Funnily enough even though I have a Christian background by virtue of my parents, some people mistake me for a Muslim. Ironic.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 3:18pm On Feb 20, 2012
red jasper:
In many cases yes the systems have been bought and sold as mere products but the forces behind the systems can only be summoned for purpose, they can never be bought or sold.
Yes.

After I had started the path in america I became increasingly upset at some of the various houses I went through, it was all about 'money and ego' I came to see. There were white 'converters' in some who took the craft more serious than their black counterparts, behind closed doors I witnessed this, they had no problem following the calendar and led some of the best rituals! Whites recognize the value we both should definitely agree on that whether it's capitalistic, spiritual or otherwise.

Don’t mind our people. Most of them only see the value in foreign imported products such as the bible but if today their converters were to largely and openly adopt their former spirituality I bet they would eventually become converts again.

The person who summarizes them as primitive is actually correct our systems were the first of their kind and didn't derive from anything but the Gods themselves!
I understand what you mean and initially that was my own interpretation of the word but how one employs a word can alter the meaning. "Primitive" has negative connotations so one may readily assume that the word is being used to highlight something bad. The Ugandan man who I was in conversation with never failed to couple the word with “uncivilized”.

The trouble is that many from the outside don't have a clear picture of what really transpires inside the systems many are even under the impression of the tradtional path being polytheistic, failing to realize the role of the forces within our galaxy playing to that of the 'supreme' force. If such people began to look at what they considered 'witchcraft' through more of a scientifical lense instead of the status quo religious dogma it would better their understanding of the philosophy behind the native beliefs. The base of much confusion I think lies where many see fit to have a keen grasp on the manipulation of force while prematurely disregarding other aspects, ancient Khamit it took long years to truly master this stuff, like any other science in that if you aren't a devoted practitioner of the field you'll have limited understanding of it. I would ask those same people 'how do aircraft fly' and if not put into exact terminology I likewise would dismiss it as witchcraft!

Interesting!
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 10:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
red jasper:

In many cases yes the systems have been bought and sold as mere products but the forces behind the systems can only be summoned for purpose, they can never be bought or sold. After I had started the path in america I became increasingly upset at some of the various houses I went through, it was all about 'money and ego' I came to see. There were white 'converters' in some who took the craft more serious than their black counterparts, behind closed doors I witnessed this, they had no problem following the calendar and led some of the best rituals! Whites recognize the value we both should definitely agree on that whether it's capitalistic, spiritual or otherwise.

The person who summarizes them as primitive is actually correct our systems were the first of their kind and didn't derive from anything but the Gods themselves! The trouble is that many from the outside don't have a clear picture of what really transpires inside the systems many are even under the impression of the tradtional path being polytheistic, failing to realize the role of the forces within our galaxy playing to that of the 'supreme' force. If such people began to look at what they considered 'witchcraft' through more of a scientifical lense instead of the status quo religious dogma it would better their understanding of the philosophy behind the native beliefs. The base of much confusion I think lies where many see fit to have a keen grasp on the manipulation of force while prematurely disregarding other aspects, ancient Khamit it took long years to truly master this stuff, like any other science in that if you aren't a devoted practitioner of the field you'll have limited understanding of it. I would ask those same people 'how do aircraft fly' and if not put into exact terminology I likewise would dismiss it as witchcraft!

The rear end.
I agree with you.
There is talk of witchcraft without knowing what is witchcraft.
Witchcraft has its origin in Africa but in Europe!!
Let us open our eyes ,
Here in America we say:
"Europeans arrived, they left us the Bible and took the gold and silver , "
The reality of Africa is no different. The Europeans brought their god, your bible , took almost everything (everything but the culture and the desire for freedom). To assert dominance spoke of "uncivilized" traditions treated as "witchcraft" , when the uncivilized and witches were, are and will be them ,
If the Catholic God really exists, the Inquisitors, slave owners and operators have booked their place in the hell that is not African, but Judeo-Christian.

Dear[b] Mrs. emöfine:[/b]
Thanks for your sweet words.
You may have noticed that my English is bad, and is a great effort to step in and read.
His words are of great value to me.
You're a very intelligent, measured, and friendly.
You can count me as a friend unconditionally.
Thank you!
Best regards!
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 8:46am On Feb 21, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear[b] Mrs. emöfine:[/b]
Thanks for your sweet words.
You may have noticed that my English is bad, and is a great effort to step in and read.
His words are of great value to me.
You're a very intelligent, measured, and friendly.
You can count me as a friend unconditionally.
Thank you!
Best regards!

Thank you dear friend. smiley

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from by the way?
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2012
emöfine:

Thank you dear friend. smiley

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from by the way?
Dear friend emöfine:
I live in Montevideo, Uruguay, South America.
I am a humble researcher of African traditions, particularly the Yoruba.
I also practice the cult of Orisá done here with the name "Batuque".
As you know, many reasons including the great persecution forced in America, in the various expressions, the cult of Orisá should be adapted in terms of some materials, as to some fundamentals, but its root is the same.
If you wish, with the greatest pleasure, I am at your service to give you the information you want.
I repeat my unconditional friendship and respect for you, and I am at your service.
A friendly greeting!
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 3:13pm On Feb 22, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend emöfine:
I live in Montevideo, Uruguay, South America.

Hey Ptolomeus. So are you South American? Your name sounds Greek.
I guess you speak Spanish or even Portuguese. Hola amigo.

I am a humble researcher of African traditions, particularly the Yoruba.

That makes both of us. Although my own method might be different.
Is that what lead you to this site?

I also practice the cult of Orisá done here with the name "Batuque".

Please tell me more about how you practise Batuque?

As you know, many reasons including the great persecution forced in America, in the various expressions, the cult of Orisá should be adapted in terms of some materials, as to some fundamentals, but its root is the same.

South America amazes me. In Brazil it’s Candomblé. Cuba - Santería. And of course in Uruguay it’s Batuque smiley. I also heard parts of Venezuela practise this traditional religion. Recently I met a man from Trinidad and Tobago that is a practitioner of this Orisá belief.

It’s actually quite impressive how far reaching this African (Yoruba) belief has spread. It’s interesting - the Europeans came to Africa with Christianity and the Africans left with Ifa and other native beliefs. The people in these countries outside of Africa seem to be more faithful and appreciative of these practises than us Africans.
Yoruba appears to be popular in South America. Are there any other Arican groups that are well known in that region as well as their beliefs? . . .such as Angola or Congo?

Ptolomeus, can you speak a little bit of Yoruba? Do you listen to African music?

If you wish, with the greatest pleasure, I am at your service to give you the information you want.

cheesy
Oh yes, I would be delighted if you could be generous enough to share some information with me.

I repeat my unconditional friendship and respect for you, and I am at your service.
A friendly greeting!

smiley
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 4:21pm On Feb 22, 2012
emöfine:

Hey Ptolomeus. So are you South American? Your name sounds Greek.
I guess you speak Spanish or even Portuguese. Hola amigo.

That makes both of us. Although my own method might be different.
Is that what lead you to this site?

Please tell me more about how you practise Batuque?

South America amazes me. In Brazil it’s Candomblé. Cuba - Santería. And of course in Uruguay it’s Batuque smiley. I also heard parts of Venezuela practise this traditional religion. Recently I met a man from Trinidad and Tobago that is a practitioner of this Orisá belief.

It’s actually quite impressive how far reaching this African (Yoruba) belief has spread. It’s interesting - the Europeans came to Africa with Christianity and the Africans left with Ifa and other native beliefs. The people in these countries outside of Africa seem to be more faithful and appreciative of these practises than us Africans.
Yoruba appears to be popular in South America. Are there any other Arican groups that are well known in that region as well as their beliefs? . . .such as Angola or Congo?

Ptolomeus, can you speak a little bit of Yoruba? Do you listen to African music?

cheesy
Oh yes, I would be delighted if you could be generous enough to share some information with me.

smiley

Dear friend:
Ptolomeus is just my nick , my name is Enrique.
My original language is Spanish, but I also speak French, Portuguese and Catalan.

I'm glad we both have an affinity for the subject. You live in Nigeria?
You can count on my full cooperation and information. I would like to have yours.

Write on Batuque take too much space, but at least I would like to explain something:. Broadly speaking, I can tell you that unlike the original cult, ceremonies for all Orisá are performed in the same Ile. This is because originally, the number of followers was low at each site and the worship was forbidden by the slave. Another difference is that not all African Orisá are known in America, if not all priests came Orisá.
Can you ask what you want.

Indeed, in America there are other cults of Angola, for example in Candomblé of Angola in Brazil.

I speak very little yorubá. Just know some greetings, some words, and ritual songs. I just I have a Yoruba-English dictionary of Abraham ,
Except ritual music in America there is very little coverage of African music. Some years ago, Miriam Makeba was very successful , But we know very little.

You say rightly. I have observed in the general forum that Africans do not have a full awareness of the great cultural heritage that have , that saddens me ,

I am keen to make contact with you, if you consider it appropriate.

I am at your service, and I express my greatest respect and friendship.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 10:33pm On Feb 22, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend:
Ptolomeus is just my nick ,  my name is Enrique.

Nice name smiley
So what does Ptolomeus mean?

My original language is Spanish, but I also speak French, Portuguese and Catalan.

That’s good.  You must be well travelled.
Do you understand Italian?

I'm glad we both have an affinity for the subject. You live in Nigeria?

No, I don’t live in Nigeria. I live in London.

You can count on my full cooperation and information. I would like to have yours.

cool. . .and you have mine.

Write on Batuque take too much space, but at least I would like to explain something:. Broadly speaking, I can tell you that unlike the original cult, ceremonies for all Orisá are performed in the same Ile. This is because originally, the number of followers was low at each site and the worship was forbidden by the slave. Another difference is that not all African Orisá are known in America, if not all priests came Orisá.
Can you ask what you want.

Which Orisá’s are known in South America? I heard Sango was the most popular one.
Were any of your ancestors African? Did your parents practise Batuque and pass the belief down to you? Or was you independently inspired to adopt this belief?

Indeed, in America there are other cults of Angola, for example in Candomblé of Angola in Brazil.

Candomblé was derived from Angolan practises? I thought there were some Yoruba influences as well.
But I've heard that capoeira in Brazil originated from Angola.

I speak very little yorubá. Just know some greetings, some words, and ritual songs. I just I have a Yoruba-English dictionary of Abraham

Ba wo ni? grin That’s all the Yoruba I know. Can you write a Yoruba song here please, I would like to see smiley

Except ritual music in America there is very little coverage of African music. Some years ago, Miriam Makeba was very successful ,  But we know very little.

Music is a good guide when one wants to know more about particular cultures and countries. Some South American music was influenced by Africans and some African music has been influenced by South Americans – sweet cultural exchange.
Miriam Makeba, she was good. I could recommend you some African musicians if you like.
But I would also like to know more about South America.

You say rightly. I have observed in the general forum that Africans do not have a full awareness of the great cultural heritage that have ,  that saddens me

Largely we are culturally sub-conscious.
These imported faiths have inhibited so much on our culture that our indigenous practises have become foreign to us.
I don’t practise any African religions myself but I have an appreciation for them.

I am keen to make contact with you, if you consider it appropriate.

How do you hope to make contact? via mail?

I am at your service, and I express my greatest respect and friendship.

Thank you. I extend the same warm offering of friendship towards you.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 4:22pm On Feb 23, 2012
emöfine:

Nice name smiley
So what does Ptolomeus mean?

That’s good. You must be well travelled.
Do you understand Italian?

No, I don’t live in Nigeria. I live in London.

cool. . .and you have mine.

Which Orisá’s are known in South America? I heard Sango was the most popular one.
Were any of your ancestors African? Did your parents practise Batuque and pass the belief down to you? Or was you independently inspired to adopt this belief?

Candomblé was derived from Angolan practises? I thought there were some Yoruba influences as well.
But I've heard that capoeira in Brazil originated from Angola.

Ba wo ni? grin That’s all the Yoruba I know. Can you write a Yoruba song here please, I would like to see smiley

Music is a good guide when one wants to know more about particular cultures and countries. Some South American music was influenced by Africans and some African music has been influenced by South Americans – sweet cultural exchange.
Miriam Makeba, she was good. I could recommend you some African musicians if you like.
But I would also like to know more about South America.

Largely we are culturally sub-conscious.
These imported faiths have inhibited so much on our culture that our indigenous practises have become foreign to us.
I don’t practise any African religions myself but I have an appreciation for them.

How do you hope to make contact? via mail?

Thank you. I extend the same warm offering of friendship towards you.
Hello dear friend.
The Ptolomeus Nick is just an invention unrelated to me.

I have traveled a lot, true. I understand some Italian but not speak it well. You've noticed that my English is very bad.

Depending on the service may be said that in America are known Orisá Esu, Ogun, Iyamesán, Sango, Ode (Ossossi), Oba, Ossayin, Sonponno (Omolu), Ibeije, Osun, Iemojá, Nana Mburukú, Osanguiyán, Osalufá, Obatala, Osumaré , among others ,

Capoeira is not a religion but a dance with wrestling moves, created by slaves.
Candomblé in Brazil has different variants grouped under the same name.
There Keto Candomble (Yoruba, Orisa) and Candomble de Angola (Nkisse). Both are different.

You put me in a rush to my smiley , I can not write Yoruba, and possibly if I do I will be criticized, but let's see , at least a little , something about the Orisa Osun ,
Tàlà dé omi o tàlà yèyé màràjó
Omi tàlà dé omi tàlà dé rì lànà
Ìyá’ dò jí yèyé mi bàbà dé o ru kí lànà
Òsun tàlà dé
Yé bámi Òsun bi olomi, yé bámi Òsun bi olomi, yèyé pòndá e’ lú nfá ta ga rè lá yé bámi Òsun bi olomi
O yèyé Òsun pe rere mã
O - Ogun pe ní’ léwà
Omi ní wá rá wàrawàra omi ní wá rá
Òsun ìpòndá pàra wè’ lé wò
Olomi l’Òsun
Ato’níre olomi l’Òsun ato’níre

I guess after this corresponds that I excuse undecided

In Uruguay there is a strong influence of African music. In fact, the CANDOMBE (created by slaves) is arguably the most autochthonous country music, possibly even more than the tango. In times of slavery, to a certain time of year, every ethnic group began playing drums early in the morning, announcing public one another, for the night each group expressing its typical touch and dances. This event is known as "llamadas" (calls) and is a tradition that continues today.

I would like to have direct contact with you, but do not know how to send a PM on the forum.
I send you a friendly greeting and I am at your service ,
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 9:43am On Feb 24, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Hello dear friend.

Hola amigo! cheesy

Capoeira is not a religion but a dance with wrestling moves, created by slaves.

I know. I was just noting some African practices that have been adapted in South America. smiley

Candomblé in Brazil has different variants grouped under the same name.
There Keto Candomble (Yoruba, Orisa) and Candomble de Angola (Nkisse). Both are different.

Ok. It appears the prominent African influences in Brazil largely stems from Yoruba/Angola.
What of Uruguay?

I can not write Yoruba

And I cannot read in Yoruba grin but I recognize some words. Thanks for the effort. Do you have a translation?

In times of slavery, to a certain time of year, every ethnic group began playing drums early in the morning, announcing public one another, for the night each group expressing its typical touch and dances. This event is known as "llamadas" (calls) and is a tradition that continues today.

That sounds so cool.

In Uruguay there is a strong influence of African music. In fact, the CANDOMBE (created by slaves) is arguably the most autochthonous country music, possibly even more than the tango.

I really want to hear some candombe. Can you recommend some musicans/songs?

I would like to have direct contact with you, but do not know how to send a PM on the forum.
I send you a friendly greeting and I am at your service

Okay amigo. If you don’t mind, can I have your email address please so I can send you a message?
Have a good day!
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24, 2012
Hola querida amiga!

The fate of the slaves in America was not casual. In mining regions, or rice or cotton plantations, the slaves sought a strong physical condition. For domestic slaves were sought shorter or complexion.
Also, in places where there were large concentrations of slaves (plantations, mines, etc, ) Is trying to mix different ethnic groups, where possible rivals to avoid uprisings.
Brazil has always had a large territory, so that the requirements were varied.
The latest wave of arrivals to South America slaves were precisely Yorubas. l recently proclaimed the prohibition of slavery, so that the Yoruba traditions still kept fresh (much more than Angola, for example).
In Uruguay the needs of the dominant Spanish was very different. Had not large plantations of coffee or cocoa or cotton, so a cattle farm was no more than four or five slaves, and when his dealings with his boss, but generally was quite human. In Uruguay, the Yoruba presence was low, compared to Angola, for the reasons explained above functional.

I have the translation to Spanish, which I guess is correct (I have understood that the Yoruba language is very descriptive, and it is difficult to translate directly some things) but the Yoruba translation into Spanish, then English may have a catastrophic result . Overall it is a worship of Osun, is called owner of River Osun, owner of the sweet waters, and so on. etc.

On translation, like to see some other forum friend help us and give us views about writing in Yoruba.
Someone willing to collaborate?

Candomble is actually a rhythm, a musical style only by various kinds of drums. There are styles that define ethnic groups who started and are preserved today. Can you see anything on the "calls" (for an example) in this link, but really nothing is the same to him personally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCmL-X9e25M

I send an affectionate salludo dear friend!
Alaafia!
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ndipe(m): 1:36am On Feb 25, 2012
Why do I choose to worship Jesus Christ?

He died for my sins and rose again for my justification. Today, if I need anything, I have to pray in faith and He will intercede on my behalf. My forefather's relgion would demand an arm and a leg to fulfill rites while the gift of Jesus Christ is FREE.

Dont be brainwashed, Jesus Christ is the Only Way to God.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by emofine2(f): 10:03am On Feb 25, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Hola querida amiga!

smiley

Ndipe:

He died for my sins and rose again for my justification. Today, if I need anything, I have to pray in faith and He will intercede on my behalf. My forefather's relgion would demand an arm and a leg to fulfill rites while the gift of Jesus Christ is FREE.

I’m not questioning anybody’s right to worship whom they want. I’m just slightly amazed that some converted Africans go on a witch-hunt  god-hunt burning “idols" that are essentially carriers of a society’s culture and history in an attempt to be righteous and vanquish the presence of demonic influences. In the process summarizing native beliefs as “witchcraft” and “uncivilized” as if adopting a foreign faith is an embracement of civilization (modernity perhaps).
And all the while, the converters of Africa and beacons of Christianity have these endangered “idols” neatly preserved in their own countries.

Who exactly is being "brainwashed"?

By the way your handle reminds me of the shona word “ndipe”.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2012
Ndipe:

Free my A$$. you fools have to pay regular hard-earned extortion money to your pastors while we have to just donate a few fruits or a chicken or goat once in a while (only if needed for certain rituals). and stop woth tha arm or leg cr.ap. we dont do that. angry angry
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by Ptolomeus(m): 10:06pm On Feb 25, 2012
Ndipe:

Dear Sir:
I have not offended his God nor his belief.
You have every right in the world to have their beliefs, as I, and everyone else.
My religion taught me to be respectful of others not to offend,not be fanatical ,
I assume that their religion has really helped you improve your life and make you a better person.
You meditate ,

emöfine; PAGAN 9JA
I appreciate and respect very much to both.
Receive a warm hug from your friend.
Re: The Crusade Against Ancestral Gods by redjasper1: 5:30am On Mar 07, 2012
'Don’t mind our people. Most of them only see the value in foreign imported products such as the bible but if today their converters were to largely and openly adopt their former spirituality I bet they would eventually become converts again.'

HAHA! that is hilarious!

Emöfine & Ptolomeus Thank you for the chat friends!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tribal Marks... / I'm The First Attah Igala In History To Have Only One Wife- HRM Ameh Oboni / Ogun Ti Afi Manjeun ( Bibo Asiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.