Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? (47948 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of All (this Pix) / What's The Full Meaning Of ADC? / Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:25pm On Feb 17, 2012
I'm sure many of you knew that Nigeria means "Nigeria Area". But what you all may not know is what the word Niger means. I just learned that that word means darkness. That means Nigeria means "Darkness Area". Is that why we've not been able to sort the power problem? Or do you think that the name has had adverse effect on our country?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Beaf: 3:36pm On Feb 17, 2012
It is a sign of our mental and moral paralysis that we have been unable to change to a Nigerian name in all the years of our existence.
Many smaller countries with self pride have done it, even here in W.Africa there are examples like Bukina Faso and Ghana.

I suggest that we name the country after the smallest ethnic group we have.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

It is a sign of our mental and moral paralysis that we have been unable to change to a Nigerian name in all the years of our existence.
Many smaller countries with self pride have done it, even here in W.Africa there are examples like Bukina Faso and Ghana.

Which is? You want make Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba cut off your head?
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Beaf: 3:47pm On Feb 17, 2012
afam4eva:

Which is? You want make Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba cut off your head?

In all civilised societies, the smallest are respected. The Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba triangle is what has driven Nigeria to despair and corruption, cos its a "winner" takes all arrangement; phuck the damn minorities.

The smallest group would most likely be found in Adamawa or Taraba.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 3:52pm On Feb 17, 2012
why not call it Ijaw Nation shocked
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:53pm On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

In all civilised societies, the smallest are respected. The Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba triangle is what has driven Nigeria to despair and corruption, cos its a "winner" takes all arrangement; phuck the damn minorities.

The smallest group would most likely be found in Adamawa or Taraba.

Yes, you're right. I know that in India, a minority group's language was made the official language.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:54pm On Feb 17, 2012
blacksta:

why not call it Ijaw Nation shocked

Ijaw has become a majority overnight.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by norrisman: 3:57pm On Feb 17, 2012
Nigga area?

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by kosovo(m): 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2012
Like I aforementioned, for those who share same mental pabulum( food for taught), who understand the modus operandi and the tripudio of the ''born to rule'' shibboleth, the Lord Lugard amalgam of 1914 is a revilement to our collective intellectual sagaciousness, an affront to our collective mythical being. Now it is becoming expositus that the  failed state called Nigeria means 'Darkness area'.

I must really commend the op for this magnus maior maximus piece of information
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by ak47mann(m): 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2012
It means darkness you are right cool
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by mensdept: 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2012
Beaf:

The best post of the week by me.

Whats in a name you ask= Everything.

You wonder why our people go a long way in naming their children names like Nifemi, Nkiru, Arigo, Omonefe, etc., with ceremonies, feast, and galantry, yet we have joined our grandfathers to answer Nigeria without even thinking about it. Not EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.

However, the whole world sees the name Nigeria and knows EXACTLY what it means= NI.GGA AREA. And low and behold, see how the country has been and continues to be.

Even neighboring Rep. of Benin (wow that sounds familiar Nigga/Dark-Areans) took a proper name, but us- no. We cant wait for the next Chelsea match or Pastor night vigil.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Ikengawo: 4:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
lol nigerians literally scale the globe looking for reasons to feel inferior.
now we hate our NAME and are praising a country named after us. lol.
it's unfortunate.

Nigeria means Niger Area. Niger is a river, the world means black, which, believe it or not, is not a deragatory word.
a couple of african countries carry the 'area' name

Liberia (liberated area)
algeria (Algers area)
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by maclatunji: 4:54pm On Feb 17, 2012
You can rename Nigeria, Nairaland. I and Seun will hold copyright grin.

Brilliant innit?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by logica(m): 4:54pm On Feb 17, 2012
Huh? I thought the country was named after the Niger River.

The Niger is called Jeliba or Joliba "great river" in Manding, Orimiri or Orimili "great water" in Igbo, Egerew n-Igerewen "river of rivers" in Tuareg, Isa Ber "big river" in Songhay, and Oya in Yoruba. The origin of the name Niger, which originally applied only to the middle reaches of the river, is uncertain. The likeliest possibility is an alteration, by influence of Latin niger "black", of the Tuareg name egerew nigerewen, which is used along the middle reaches of the river around Timbuktu.[4][5] As Timbuktu was the southern end of the principal Trans-Saharan trade route to the western Mediterranean, it was the source of most European knowledge of the region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_River

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 4:55pm On Feb 17, 2012
@OP
Everything about Nigeria connotes darkness (blackness) including the area. Niger is (dark blue) or black color. It could also mean Negro (black) in Spanish/Portuguese.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 4:56pm On Feb 17, 2012
Ikengawo,

With Liberia & Algeria, Nigeria is in good company in deed. War & extremism/wasted oil resources. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by yme1(f): 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
The word Nigeria was coined by the British to indicate the area around the Niger River (Niger Area)

afam4eva:

I'm sure many of you knew that Nigeria means "Nigeria Area". But what you all may not know is what the word Niger means. I just learned that that word means darkness. That means Nigeria means "Darkness Area". Is that why we've not been able to sort the power problem? Or do you think that the name has had adverse effect on our country?
Darkness? where did you get that from?

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
y me:

The word Nigeria was coined by the British to indicate the area around the Niger River (Niger Area)

So, what's the meaning of the niger part of river niger.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 5:00pm On Feb 17, 2012
@ McLatunji,

Seun idea seconded.

At least Seun will know how to "select" better moderators/leaders than the efulefu that INEC mostly throws up every 4 years.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by abdulkoro: 5:02pm On Feb 17, 2012
Nigeria is actually a fine country. The only problem is this Evil religion called Islam.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by bulksms247(m): 5:04pm On Feb 17, 2012
Lol, na true ooo. We suppose rename this country. Make I think berra name

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by abdulkoro: 5:05pm On Feb 17, 2012
I hate that Islam with a great passion.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by soma042(m): 5:06pm On Feb 17, 2012
if we are thinking abt the name, i think BIAFRA is the best name .
but before it should be named nigeria needs to bend down and plead 4 forgiveness from our ibo brother, i think that would achieve peace and unity in this country

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by maclatunji: 5:07pm On Feb 17, 2012
abdulkoro:

I hate that Islam with a great passion.

Islam loves you tongue
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by agubata111: 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2012
This letter was written to the president of Nigeria in the 80's
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by agubata111: 5:13pm On Feb 17, 2012
This letter was written to the president of Nigeria in the 80's

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-521853.0.html
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by freecocoa(f): 5:15pm On Feb 17, 2012
Hmmm,little wonder.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by logica(m): 5:17pm On Feb 17, 2012
If it isn't about superstition, the word "niger" is the latin for "black". That is also the origin of the word "negro" and the derogatory "nigger". But if you want to translate it as "darkness" it's all good.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by yme1(f): 5:18pm On Feb 17, 2012
afam4eva:

So, what's the meaning of the niger part of river niger.

its a derivative of Portuguese nigre meaning walking dead  shocked shocked shocked
Niger the country is Okay in saying, but not the cuss word way.

Niger comes from the latin meaning black so called from the black seed undecided

Too many crazy meanings

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by phreakabit(m): 5:21pm On Feb 17, 2012
I say we all decide to split the darn country!!!! I detest it even more with every single day that passes.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by supereagle(m): 5:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
OMO Naija ni mi o.
Re: Do You Know The Meaning Of Nigeria? by Yinkay: 5:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
Since Niger means darkness, Lumen has to do with light, then Lumen Area=Lumeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Compilation Of Vintage Nigerian Pictures. / PDP Agents Caught With Cash And Bag Of Rice In Osun Governorship Election / Girl Killed By Stray Bullet In Orlu As Unknown Gunmen Clash With Soldiers PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.