Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? (4555 Views)

5 Things You Should Know Before You Write Your Degree Exams!!! / My Son Cannot Count Numbers / Lautech Pre Degree Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by bigdoo: 5:51pm On Feb 20, 2012
My son is in his final year and has just about three months to sit for his final degree exams in pharmacology (coming up in May 2012) at the University of London. He complains that since the beginning of January 2012, he has been finding it very difficult to catch a sleep. Consequently he has been unable to concentrate on his studies and lectures. He appears to be suffering from insomnia. During the day he feels drained of energy and tired and unable to function properly to do his work. He has visited his GP several times asking for medication to enable him sleep properly but was refused medication because the doctors feel that he is too young at 21 years to start relying on sleeping peels. He said that the doctors instead suggested that he drinks hot chocolate and take hot baths in addition to taking paracetamol. He also complains of having migraines whenever he tries to concentrate during lectures. He is of the opinion that his condition will affect his performance in his degree exams. He feels that he might need more time to sit for his final exams.

I have visited his university with him to speak with his personal lecturer and demanded that he could be allowed more time to sit for his exams possibly later this year or maybe even in 2013. His lecturer suggested that he musters courage and complete his degree exams this year as deferring any exams till next year would not help him as he would lose focus and touch with his academics.

I need suggestions and urgent help from anybody who has something tangible to offer either from experience, professional advice etc.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by ferber: 11:47am On Feb 21, 2012
i think the pressure of the situation is what is getting to him.
if he can defer the exams for some time then he should .he is still very
young and has time to catch up. he probably doesn't feel confident enuf that he will pass with good grades.
keep talking to him to remain calm so that he does not become overwhelmed by the situation.he doesn't need drugs.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by GWslim(f): 11:52am On Feb 21, 2012
The pressure of exam fever can be too high sometime if you consider your chances and competition.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by Businesstools(m): 12:03pm On Feb 21, 2012
He could be experiencing anxiety.This is not the first exam he will be writing.Make him understand that his final exams is no different from the others,after which he should forget about the exam and relax for about a week.3 months is enough time to prepare for a degree exam.Ask him to avoid taking any drink other than water and soft drinks.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by Gloriouspa(m): 12:07pm On Feb 21, 2012
i think you need to be fervent in prayers. Knee before God and pray to deliver him from any evil forces standing on your son's way of success. I believe God will deliver him
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by ekpriobong(m): 12:14pm On Feb 21, 2012
Well, it's quite unfortunate that it happening this way but in any case, something has to be done. First, you have to be praying for him and encourage him to pray as well. Again, i think he has so much fear about the exam esp as it is a final year exam and this is not necessary. Talk to him that he will only be examined based on what he was taught and nothing more and hence there shouldn't be any fear. Exams period is always a happy one for serious students because they know the time has come to prove who you really are/were before now. There is no point going for sleeping tabs for him, what is actually happening to spirit is fear, anxiousness and nothing more. But right now, he needs some rest and how? Drugs may cause him to become addicted over time, alcohol is still going that line and he should stay away from them. So what? Give him a Bible, he should start reading it from Genesis 1 forward lying face-up on his bed with a pillow and holding the book upward and reading it. He should put behind whatsoever he was thinking in his mind and just concentrate with it. His room should be only with a fast blowing fan (no air-conditioner). He'll sleep. When he wakes up, he should eat well and then go to playground and play his best game to satisfaction. Take a warm bath, start reading the Bible again like a novel from where he stopped with same room condition and he'll sleep again and even better now. At times, over seriousness in school/anything may be a problem. Better still, he should be attending tutorial classes to become more grounded. Watch tutorial videos too. But a day should not pass without him playing/catching funs to ease his temperance. I think i should stop here. He'll perform magic during exams. Goodluck.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by pato405(m): 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2012
simply apprehension.

he should take lots of milk [evaporated is better], proteins and fruits.

drugs aren't advisable. addiction may follow.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by Profkenny1(m): 12:26pm On Feb 21, 2012
ekpriobong:

Well, it's quite unfortunate that it happening this way but in any case, something has to be done. First, you have to be praying for him and encourage him to pray as well. Again, i think he has so much fear about the exam esp as it is a final year exam and this is not necessary. Talk to him that he will only be examined based on what he was taught and nothing more and hence there shouldn't be any fear. Exams period is always a happy one for serious students because they know the time has come to prove who you really are/were before now. There is no point going for sleeping tabs for him, what is actually happening to spirit is fear, anxiousness and nothing more. But right now, he needs some rest and how? Drugs may cause him to become addicted over time, alcohol is still going that line and he should stay away from them. So what? Give him a Bible, he should start reading it from Genesis 1 forward lying face-up on his bed with a pillow and holding the book upward and reading it. He should put behind whatsoever he was thinking in his mind and just concentrate with it. His room should be only with a fast blowing fan (no air-conditioner). He'll sleep. When he wakes up, he should eat well and then go to playground and play his best game to satisfaction. Take a warm bath, start reading the Bible again like a novel from where he stopped with same room condition and he'll sleep again and even better now. At times, over seriousness in school/anything may be a problem. Better still, he should be attending tutorial classes to become more grounded. Watch tutorial videos too. But a day should not pass without him playing/catching funs to ease his temperance. I think i should stop here. He'll perform magic during exams. Goodluck.  
WELL SAID!
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by member479760: 12:46pm On Feb 21, 2012
na your isonorun bi that, na by force to go school.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by Korrection(m): 12:48pm On Feb 21, 2012
please check if one Oyibo girl don break his heart, at his age he cant sleep, what a pity?
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 21, 2012
Three weeks is a long time to be without sleep. I have experienced something similar before for two days when my exams were approaching. What i did then was to speak to an older colleague who suggested i close my books for 2 days, go out visit female hostel, and have great fun, and i prayed too. I did all that and by the time the results came out, i passed well. I suggest u tell ur son d same too, let him realise that the worst thing that can happen is to fail and he can always resit. Nevertheless admonish him that he cant fail, cos u believe in him. Wish u d best.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by Princek12(m): 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2012
As someone who has taken several high stakes exam, I think I know what your son's problem is. Your son is suffering from a burn out syndrome, usually associated with over-studying without proper rest, exercise, and nutrition.

He needs to take a week off from studying, exercise daily, drink lots of water, and eat lots of blueberries and strawberries (both of which are brain food).

When he resumes studying, he should study for preferably 6 hours a day, but no more than 8 hours a day. He should not study after 10pm so that his brain can relax before its time to sleep. He should then take a shower and drink some herbal tea, preferably chamomile tea with some honey in it. He should take at least a day off in a week where he does not study. If your son is a Christian, Sundays are recommended for taking off so that he can go to church and just relax.

Overall, tell him that it is just a freaking exam, that many have taken it before him and many will take it after him, and that it is not the end of the world.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by markovnikoff001(m): 3:27pm On Feb 21, 2012
Wonderful responses people have put up here; very exhaustive and comprehensive.

I am going to proffer a solution that may be unpopular with some people. Does your son have a girlfriend? When I say girlfriend I do not mean some random girl that just comes and goes, I mean some best friend kind of girlfriend. You can never underestimate the power of the opposite sex to relax one physically and emotionally. A girl that will hold your son's hand, look into his eyes and tell him everything will be just fine. That will run her fingers through your son's hair and joke with him and make him laugh while taking his mind off the issue that troubles him. And that will make him his chocolate drink(ref. Pato405) and hand it to him and put him to sleep and lie with him if she has to; tell me the boy will not go to sleep. She becomes the support he needs and sees him through this difficult time.

But there is a flip side to this: If the girl is not faithful or breaks your son's heart. Then the boy's present predicament will only be child's play with what his emotional state will become.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by UyiIredia(m): 4:07pm On Feb 21, 2012
Insert Quote
Wonderful responses people have put up here; very exhaustive and comprehensive.

I am going to proffer a solution that may be unpopular with some people. Does your son have a girlfriend? When I say girlfriend I do not mean some random girl that just comes and goes, I mean some best friend kind of girlfriend. You can never underestimate the power of the opposite sex to relax one physically and emotionally. A girl that will hold your son's hand, look into his eyes and tell him everything will be just fine. That will run her fingers through your son's hair and joke with him and make him laugh while taking his mind off the issue that troubles him. And that will make him his chocolate drink(ref. Pato405) and hand it to him and put him to sleep and lie with him if she has to; tell me the boy will not go to sleep. She becomes the support he needs and sees him through this difficult time.

But there is a flip side to this: If the girl is not faithful or breaks your son's heart. Then the boy's present predicament will only be child's play with what his emotional state will become.

Good thinking man !
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by herney: 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2012
He needs some rest. Time off from school.
Degree can wait and can be gotten later.
If he continues this way something worse can happen.
Happen to my mum too.
You need to talk him out of wateva's on his mind.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by God2man(m): 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2012
It is not all problems that will require medication, the fact still remains that we are limited in some cases, issues that are beyond human comprehension, in this case, you need to go spiritual, drug may not solve the problem, the most effective solution to the problem of insomnia is to go for deliverance prayers, and this book come in handy, PRAYER RAIN, by Dr D.K Olukoya, you can easily follow the instruction in this prayer manual without visiting any man of God. Life is a mystery. It is only those people that are connected to God that can decode it. God bless you. God2man.
God bless you. God2man.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by God2man(m): 5:50pm On Feb 21, 2012
It is not all problems that will require medication, the fact still remains that we are limited in some cases, issues that are beyond human comprehension, in this case, you need to go spiritual, drug may not solve the problem, the most effective solution to the problem of insomnia is to go for deliverance prayers, and this book come in handy, PRAYER RAIN, by Dr D.K Olukoya, you can easily follow the instruction in this prayer manual without visiting any man of God. Life is a mystery. It is only those people that are connected to God that can decode it. God bless you. God2man.
God bless you. God2man.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by sd6: 7:33pm On Feb 21, 2012
It is very possible the family or someone has put a lot of pressure upon him to deliver best results at the exams. Its also possible his friends or relatives have had impressive results and he feels his present preparations and standing may not replicate contemporary feats. And because hes young, he thinks its gloomy. Ease him of performance pressure and let him know he doesnt have to be best or like any other person. He should mix study with leisure and not think about not sleeping, he'd surprise how much sleep awaits him especially when exams are close. A symptom of anxiety is insomnia and resultant weakness from lack of sleep.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by omofat: 2:07pm On Feb 22, 2012
And it is on nairaland that you seek to find such help?
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by bigdoo: 12:26am On Feb 23, 2012
I must say that I am highly grateful for all the support and good suggestions from my fellow Marylanders on the issue relating to my son, which I posted. I have drawn my son's attention to all your nice comments, support and suggestions and he is highly appreciative of your concern towards him. I have also asked him to put into practice all your good suggestions and also to consider registering with fairyland. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by bigdoo: 12:44am On Feb 23, 2012
I must say that I am highly grateful for all the support and good suggestions from my fellow nairalanders on the issue relating to my son, which I posted. I have drawn my son's attention to all your nice comments, support and suggestions and he is highly appreciative of your concern towards him. I have asked him to put into practice all your good suggestions and also to consider registering with nairaland. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Re: My Son Cannot Sleep As His Degree Exams Approach, Can Anybody Please Help? by GWslim(f): 11:13am On Oct 01, 2012
bigdoo: I must say that I am highly grateful for all the support and good suggestions from my fellow nairalanders on the issue relating to my son, which I posted. I have drawn my son's attention to all your nice comments, support and suggestions and he is highly appreciative of your concern towards him. I have asked him to put into practice all your good suggestions and also to consider registering with nairaland. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
great

(1) (Reply)

How Is Your Waec Result? / A Compendium of Clinical Medicine / Futo Releases 2nd Admission List For 2011/2012 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.