Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? (10847 Views)

The Black Berry Craze / Mtn Free Calls A Blessing Or A Trick? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 22, 2012
Have you ever come across some of these our nowadays Nigerian girls, who have just Black Berry and maybe a Mexican hair as their only asset, with less than N20,000 in their bank account? Imagine a girl that's still a student, not even from a middle class family, without a job, no business, no income besides inconsistent dash from male admirers, few relations and stuffs like that, and when she gets the little money she's supposed to use to start a business for herself to become an entrepreneur or save for her future and educational advancement, etc, she ends up using it to buy just a Black Berry handset of N60,000 and maybe a Mexican hair of say, N90,000, and still climbs on top of okada doing "iyanga toro-toro" in her useless mentality and utmost stupidity? Honestly, this is an economic wastage that must be addressed in Nigeria,

Also, we learnt that my brother that had an accident early last month and died, was pinging on his BB while driving on a highway, pondering on all these shabby situations, makes me to wonder if really Black Berry is a blessing or a curse to Nigerians? 
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by MrsChima1(f): 2:12pm On Feb 22, 2012
LMAO@Mexican hair  grin grin grin grin grin grin

They are selling Mexican hair now?!!!   shocked shocked shocked shocked

Blackberries are so bleeping old, upgrade!
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by bekay911(f): 2:15pm On Feb 22, 2012
Sorry for d demise of ur bro.
But every technological invention serves a purpose in one way or d oda. So BB is a blessing but we nigerians tend to abuse it
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Killz3(m): 2:24pm On Feb 22, 2012
bekay911:

Sorry for d demise of ur bro.
But [size=15pt]every technological invention serves a purpose in one way or d oda. So BB is a blessing but we nigerians tend to abuse it[/size]
End of Discussion! cool
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2012
~Killz~:

End of Discussion! cool
what about the facts I referenced in the original post? so they are not worth discussing or being addressed right? so you support that your cousin sister, sister, niece, girlfriend, etc who's just say 20 and still being given peanut money to go ahead and buy a BB or Mexican hair (that adds no value to her financial and economic life) with all her lifesaving when actually she cannot maintain it and still keep coming back to beg you for money for monthly subscription when she's idle and no job or business, whereas she would have used that huge amount to start a retailing business in her school and start to turnover the capital and grow from there? Don't you guys know that Nigeria is seriously looking for ways to improve and encourage more and more youths (boys and girls) to become entrepreneurs and employers of labor in mere future? And we are here misusing our resources for nothing that adds no value to those teenagers and youths using them beside promoting prostitution and theft and all of that?

Think wisely before you react to things in life, my dear brothers and sisters, we are looking for ways to uplift this nation from ABJECT PENURY!!! and not creating more DEPENDENCE which is one of the major reasons Nigerian economy has stayed like this for years, government aside,
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by born2boink(m): 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2012
PING ! PING!! PING!!! someone is annoying
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 22, 2012
It's a blessing to some people while a curse to others
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Killz3(m): 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2012
Jobfront. The Blackberry menace is not gender specific. For every girl you show me, i'll show you 5 guys that did idiotic things just to own a BB. Stop hyperventilating anytime you hear "woman" wink
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2012
Adetayo100:

It's a blessing to some people while a curse to others
Well spoken, thanks, I truly believe, and it seems to be more of a blessing to the male folks than to their female counterparts, which doesn't necessarily mean all females, but out of every 10 girls using BB, it is only economically and genuinely useful to 1, whereas in every 10 guys that use it, it is economically and genuinely useful to 7, don't ask how come the survey, google it,

~Killz~:

Jobfront. The Blackberry menace is not gender specific. For every girl you show me, i'll show you 5 guys that did idiotic things just to own a BB. Stop hyperventilating anytime you hear "woman" wink
Maybe because I want sanity and change amongst them, if I don't, I wouldn't be concerned, and you need to see how I try to discipline the females (cousins, nieces, friends, lovers, etc) around me, I am not a guy that hides the truth to get more female admirers, you need to face the reality, preach, keep telling them, wisdom comeths by hearing and hearing, stop being a secret complainant that complains inside a small hole, and comes in public to sing, ALL IS WELL!! just get females liking you that you're fighting their course, deep down their hearts, they value the guy that tells em the truth to change their life, not the one that praises them in their front and goes back to say all sorts of shits, against em, so always be bold and stop this your fending fending, I am still doubtful of your true gender though, lol

And again, you and I know that Nigerian girls are doing lots of unmentionable things just to get a BB, offering their bodies to get just BB, if you haven't come across them, I do, if i am not mistaking, on a weekly basis, some doing horrible things you wouldn't want us to expose here anyway, all the same, guys do too, but the rate is ignorable you know that, at least, in every 10 guys again using BB, 6 bought it with their money, and 5 are financial capable to take charge of their future, 4 are from a middle class family that is able to provide them BB, whereas the remaining 1 stole it. But in every 10 girls using BB, 7 got it through a man, either by offering their bodies to get it or any other means, 2 are from a middle class family, and 1 bought it herself, find out this figures,
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Killz3(m): 3:15pm On Feb 22, 2012
I don't care what you or anyone says. I act and reply to what i feel should be right. I don't necessarily castigate anyone just because you want me to. Guys do worse things for BB. And when they get the BB, they give it to girls! Guys make girls bad! So what are we yapping about? If you want to correct someone, you don't go about screaming at the top of your voice! Individuals are different. Who wan spoil go spoil. If you like, preach from now till this time next year, if they want to be foolish, they would. Principles that guide me are different cos i have seen that life is not a tussle until you make it a tussle. You hate women, and it's obvious from your comments. I don't hate women, but i don't tolerate nonsense excesses from anyone. . . men and women alike. My gender is male! I don't need to think like Jobfront to make you believe me!
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by ImaIma1(f): 3:23pm On Feb 22, 2012
its not only blackberry fones n mexican hair tht people spend money unreasonably on. so why is dis particular one an issue? people spend their savings on computer games, tablet phones, and many other gadgets and end up drinking garri. its a matter of choice and priorities. mexican hair n bb fones jst happen 2 be part of dt list.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2012
~Killz~:

I don't care what you or anyone says. I act and reply to what i feel should be right. I don't necessarily castigate anyone just because you want me to. Guys do worse things for BB. And when they get the BB, they give it to girls! Guys make girls bad! So what are we yapping about? If you want to correct someone, you don't go about screaming at the top of your voice! Individuals are different. Who wan spoil go spoil. If you like, preach from now till this time next year, if they want to be foolish, they would. Principles that guide me are different cos i have seen that life is not a tussle until you make it a tussle. You hate women, and it's obvious from your comments. I don't hate women, but i don't tolerate nonsense excesses from anyone. . . men and women alike. My gender is male! I don't need to think like Jobfront to make you believe me!
Hahahaha "I don't need to think like jobfront, " I love that statement, lolz, anyway my dear, I am not saying you should think like me neither do you expect me to think or act like you, cos we are different, but then, from your statement, there's no need for us to be disturbing ourselves to go to school, socialize, etc to gain more knowledge and social discipline, since "If you like, preach from now till this time next year, if they want to be foolish, they would" it then translates that you and I don't need to discipline our children, because if they must spoil, they must spoil, irrespective of our trainings and daily teachings, and then, Churches too have no need to be there, and every other thing that's out there to help correct people, let people know that certain things aren't right, then has no need to be there, because: "If you like, preach from now till this time next year, if they want to be foolish, they would", think about your last statement again my friend, and listen to its echo,
Ima Ima:

its not only blackberry fones n mexican hair tht people spend money unreasonably on. so why is dis particular one an issue? people spend their savings on computer games, tablet phones, and many other gadgets and end up drinking garri. its a matter of choice and priorities. mexican hair n bb fones jst happen 2 be part of dt list.

and also, you're in support that such unscrupulous lifestyles should keep dancing along our nation while we sit back daily criticzing the GOVERNMENT FOR NOT GIVING US LOANS TO START-UP BUSINESS, NOT DOING THIS AND THAT? Have you ever been with some foreigners and observe their kind of life? Most who even earn 10x what you and I are earning, still they end up using a dilapidated Motorola handset,
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by tkb417(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2012
undecided
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by ImaIma1(f): 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2012
what cn u do about it?why dont u carry a public announce system around and tell pple not to spend "their" money on whteva they want.

thats why i said its priority. one girl buys darling yaki- N350/400, anoda girl buys indian- 100k, its their choice and money. when they r suffering and drinking garri in their closets, they dont call u to join them. they r not stealing the money to buy it.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
I fink i prefer my lady on her regular Peruvian hair, Makes her look like an angel.

I don't av time for BB anymore, plus i ensured that my Lady ain't on BB, can't av any1 spoiling my born again baby 4 me. smiley
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2012
Lol @ Mexican hair, I thot it was Brazilian.

Anyways, I think its a little bit of both. For those who use the bb, for instance, for knowledge gathering, research and networking, its quite beneficial. So I guess its a matter of percentages. What percentage use a bb for beneficial purposes?
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Fhemmmy: 3:45pm On Feb 22, 2012
If we have a society where people have access to things easily - It will not look like mini gods to them.
In a nation where access to the world (Internet) is like not in existence, the easy way to communicate is BB Chat.
Also, in a nation where the stolen are being celebrated cos of what they have and not how they have it, it is only a trend and i am sure is not about to stop anytime soon.
It is not a curse, but we over do everything that is touched in Nigeria.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by brainpulse: 3:47pm On Feb 22, 2012
BLESSING OR CURSE.

The Nigerian factor has added it to it's fashion list and style even if you don't know what its used for, just hold it for you to be recognized. You might not even have money to buy Breakfast, launch etc. so far you got it and can ping with it, you forget you ar hungry.
3 days i was in a bus with a man complaining that he gave his son #35,000 for part payment of school fees and pocket money. The son returnd home the following week(6 days after) and told the father than his pocket had finished and also needs to buy handout. The father said he called the elder brother in the same school and asked for details just for him to be told that the money was used for BB and the boy needs bail-out B/4 registration closes. The complaint of the man was that the money given to him was borrowed from a friend. while he was managing, skipping meals and rushing for #50.00 danfo so that his son can go to school. his son was enjoying his subsidy money to buy BB (for what? the man shouted while we all laughed) @ mile 2.
It has exposed so many of how young sisters to begging for money just to up step their fashion style and move on the train. Time for studying and relevant research has being turnd to time of twitting, FB, chatting & Pinging. Ask what other meaningful things do they use it for? hen hen hhen
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 22, 2012
Now, I have lots of true life stories to share with you, which should motivate any wise person reading this thread, one of them is this:
you wouldn't believe that my eldest brother, just 40yrs, a employer of over 10 graduates, with each not earning less than N50,000, owns a big house in lekki phase 1, uses some of the best cars you can think of, and owns other properties and assets nationwide, just bought BlackBerry phone last month, do you know why he finally decided to buy it? Because his business clients started to demand for his pin and blah, blah, so he sluggishly bought one just for their sake. One day, we asked him, why don't you want to buy a BB? He replied: I don't need to add more expenses to my troubles, and besides, I cannot be using something to adds no economic, financial, etc value to my life and business, so what's BB? And he went ahead to tell us how he's planning to lay off three of his staff this year, one is a female, for her habitual pinging attitude even while she's at work. I frowned on this very note because my childhood friend living and working in the states once told me that they dare not take their phones to work, not allowed at all, I pondered, why can't Nigeria have this kind of law in place? Hmmmm,

Secondly, my other brother that died in a car accident early last month, refused to buy BB despite the fact that he is very very, and also an employer of labor running one of the best, but you know what? His extravagant, merry-loving rich friends lured him into buying this phone called BB, and this very BB handset led to his early departure from planet earth, how? We learnt through eye witnesses that witnessed the accident that led to his death, that he was pinging while driving and didn't notice the on-coming vehicle or whatever, and before he could put things under control, he has already joined our grandpa and granny, sobs, sobs, so my brothers and sisters, don't let all these evil technologies maim your lives, think economically, safety, finance always,

Now I ask to proponents of the original topic and very many others: ask yourself, how has this very BB i am using impacted my life; financially, economically, socially, morally, mentally, religiously and otherwise? Answer that question withing you,
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by tjdj: 3:51pm On Feb 22, 2012
once you are BLACK and you own one,if you get addicted to the pinging all the time ,you wont know when the you will get hit by an on-coming car and you BERRIED,
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by VirtuousWoman: 3:59pm On Feb 22, 2012
A lot of married men, who calim to be big boyz, buy bb for their undergraduate girl-friends and so on. Simply so that when they are even at home with their wives, they will be pinging and chattin on the bb with their girlfriends. when the wife is in the bathroom, toilet, kitchen or just out of sight. some even pretend to be watching tv in the sitting room if the wife is in the bedroom, just so they can continue their chat with the girlfriend.
bb had made neglecting the wife comfortable for those men who are professional adultrers.
such men will never put their wife's or children's pix on their bb.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Shola2009(m): 4:01pm On Feb 22, 2012
lmao! " iyanga toro-toro"

@ poster
I agree with you . This is an economic issue that must be addressed. grin
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by lolaluv1(f): 4:04pm On Feb 22, 2012
OP
Your post is so subjective. The truth is; people can do whatever they like with their money. I don't own a BB, or Brazilian weave. But if I feel I need it, best believe I'm getting it!
The truth is; people have different preferences and tastes. Why would a guy buy Timbaland boots and not palm slippers? Why buy PS 3 and not Eight bit or Sega? Why would a guy buy the latest Toyota Camry and not a two-door car?
It is all a matter of taste. Which is why there are markets that cater to both the Nokia 3310 versus bb on one hand, and the Yaki versus Brazillian hair on the other hand.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Basics007: 4:08pm On Feb 22, 2012
@OP. All these epistle cos someone is using BB. i used to hate it just like you do now. I bought it purely because i didnt want to be left out then but suprisingly it's been more of a blessing to me than a curse since i got it. So to each his/her own.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Feb 22, 2012
BB and MEXICAN hair are not mearnt for the POOR, period
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by alex406(m): 4:18pm On Feb 22, 2012
Is a curse because people are not making judicious use of it,all do is abuse any good thing that comes our way.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by brainpulse: 4:20pm On Feb 22, 2012
lola.luv:

OP
Your post is so subjective. The truth is; people can do whatever they like with their money. I don't own a BB, or Brazilian weave. But if I feel I need it, best believe I'm getting it!
The truth is; people have different preferences and tastes. Why would a guy buy Timbaland boots and not palm slippers? Why buy PS 3 and not Eight bit or Sega? Why would a guy buy the latest Toyota Camry and not a two-door car?
It is all a matter of taste. Which is why there are markets that cater to both the Nokia 3310 versus bb on one hand, and the Yaki versus Brazillian hair on the other hand.

I believe you are of point on this.Wait close your eyes,take a deeeep breathe and out, good calm down open your eyes close to the monitor read, meditate and understand, good, oya  comment.

What we are saying is, do you have to squiz yourself out to get what you dont really need just because you are intimidated by the growing fashion trend while other department in your life is not adding value? Is BB a matter of complexity or a necessity.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by badmrkt(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2012
nice topic @op
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by brainpulse: 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2012
A friend told me of a woman in her work place who always burst of her husband trust and fidelity soon got the shocker of her life when an instant message came into her hobby's BB thanking him for buying her a BB that he has proved that He loves her. The wife was somehow surprised becos she had asked her husband to get her a BB B4 but he stylishly told her that she doesn't really need it. She asked her husband about the message, guest what the man told the woman blabbing it is surely a wrong PIN number the lady sent the message to. I Laughed my sorrow away.
Re: Black Berry Handset- A Blessing Or A Curse To Nigerians? by Vuprax: 4:36pm On Feb 22, 2012
Those who dey use BB know wetin them dey use am for. While I agree that a lot of people buy and use them in a way that adds no value to them, a vast majority use it as a business/ networking tool (dont ask me what type of business/ networking grin ). What merely remains is to sensitise people to be careful while using them in disaster- prone areas eg while driving or walking on the main road.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5G Data Breakthrough Announced By Samsung Electronics / Pls How Do I Download Facebook And Other Applications On My Blackberry. / HOT:: Download Latest Pes 2017 Apk + Data For Android ( HD )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.