Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? (3570 Views)

Hope For C++ Newbies: Gui Toolkits / Managed Extensions for C++. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 8:21am On Feb 23, 2012
IDE?
Debugger?
Make file tool?
Tool for writing tests?
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by dellnet: 9:16am On Feb 23, 2012
Top of the morning, in most cases the IDE have all. Kdevelop has almost everything in it.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 9:19am On Feb 23, 2012
i tried kdevelop and couldn't figure out how to compile a single file. Looks like i'd have to make a makefile even for just a tiny project  undecided

I tried Code::Blocks and like it better, one-click compile, no makefiles.

What about testing? What setup do you use for testing your code?
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 9:27am On Feb 23, 2012
This looks promising, for testing: http://code.google.com/p/googletest/wiki/Primer
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 9:38am On Feb 23, 2012
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by dellnet: 9:41am On Feb 23, 2012
To test my code I release it in a debug version embedding the runtime library using code generation. If the IDE does not support code generation I run the application in gdb.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 9:46am On Feb 23, 2012
GDB is actually something I don't know much about, or how it works.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by dellnet: 9:53am On Feb 23, 2012
It is a very good tool and easy to use. It allows you to see what is going on inside your code. From process to threads to stacks, functions, down to variables. At the base it is a debugger.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by waxrider: 2:00pm On Feb 23, 2012
What are these?

When there is .NET IDE and other .NET tools.

Try C++ .NET platform. Or Visual C++ 6.0
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by lonamy: 3:15pm On Feb 23, 2012
waxrider:

What are these?

When there is .NET IDE and other .NET tools.

Try C++ .NET platform. Or Visual C++ 6.0

God bless you. Some programmers are yet to come to the realisation of the fact that .NET platform is the BOMB. Some people like wahala.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by waxrider: 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
May be they are writing programs to add 2 numbers. Or program to calculate fibonanci.

If you want to write huge project, then, .NET is the bomb
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by fred2265: 5:50pm On Feb 23, 2012
Code:blocks FTW
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by miriatataz: 6:31pm On Feb 23, 2012
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 8:17pm On Feb 23, 2012
i don't use windows, so .net isn't of much relevance to me
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
codeblocks
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by IbrahimB: 8:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
Eclipse and GNU g++ for me.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by Beaf: 2:51am On Feb 24, 2012
I use Visual studio primarily, it basically makes other platforms look impaired.
For stuff with Unix library requirements, I use codeblocks.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by Beaf: 2:52am On Feb 24, 2012
For Linux, I would recommend Mono and MonoDevelop.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 7:41am On Feb 24, 2012
Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by dellnet: 10:08am On Feb 24, 2012
Here we go again. All you .net lovers, you should check the difference between managed and unmanaged codes.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by lordZOUGA(m): 11:00am On Feb 24, 2012
netbeans and MINGW compiler
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by kennbox(m): 12:50pm On Feb 24, 2012
Howdy people,

Well,
I basically use:
Linux(mainly)/Win32
Eclipse
GCC/G++/MinGW + GDB
CMAKE
and UnitTest (occasionally)

for UI/Crossplatform related apps, I use QT
www.qt.nokia.com

also Heavily uses BoostC++
www.boost.org

well, for a beginner, I would advice GCC/G++ with any nice syntax highlighting capable Editor (like gEdit)

Keep Coding,
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, boost seems pretty legit.

There is also this really nice C++ FAQ:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Boost and smart pointers I think basically make C++ as easy to use as Java.
Re: What Development Chain Do You Use For C++? by ektbear: 7:39am On Feb 25, 2012
I cannot recommend this FAQ highly enough.

You go through it, come across things you don't understand/concepts you've never heard of, google and then it makes sense. Or if it doesn't make sense, write it down for looking at later.

A much more efficient use of time than reading a C++ book from scratch, 90% of which will be stuff you know or have seen before.

Another really useful thing I found is SWIG: http://www.swig.org/

You can use as a tool to write tests for your C++ in whatever scripting language you like (ruby, python, whatever).

Which is even cooler than this Google testing framework, in my opinion.

(1) (Reply)

My Collections Of Python Projects / Asalimpo and Fincoapp - 2 excellent programmers! / Free Online Embedded System Design Tutorials with PIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.