Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? (4421 Views)

Samsung LED TV Used 32" Clean 37k Pics / @-}-}--Canadian USED In Box **BB 9700 Bold 2 - White & Black In Lagos 30K Each** / USA Used In MINT Condition Torch 3 (9860) Fully Unlocked For Sale. . SOLD!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by FrankO: 8:48pm On Jul 15, 2005
My friends,
Could anybody help me to know whether a TV used in UK could work in Nigeria. A friend is just planning to send some to Nigeria and he asks me this question which I do not have an idea. So I think my dear friends could help me out.
Cheers! smiley
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Greatpeter(m): 8:52pm On Jul 15, 2005
It will work but I think you will need to adjust the voltage.
We use high voltage here and theirs are low.
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by mamba(m): 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2005
It will work here, the voltage is the same..
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 10:13pm On Jul 15, 2005
Mamba, the voltage is definitely not the same but many televisions have this "universal voltage" figure that makes them work with 110 V (UK) voltage up to our 220-240 V in Nigeria.

The refresh frequency also matters (50/60). Well our electronics wizard will be able to shed some light on it. Frank, why not tell us the make and model of the television set you plan to bring into Nigeria?
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by mamba(m): 12:15am On Jul 16, 2005
UK is 220volts... it's USA that has 110v
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by medube(m): 12:47am On Jul 16, 2005
mamba's right. Uk is same as Nigeria and hence anything there will work.
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:00am On Jul 16, 2005
Oops, I was so wrong. I'm glad that at least I now know the truth, thanks.
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 2:24am On Jul 16, 2005
Nigeria even uses the same adapator as the UK so no adaptors are needed smiley

Though I suggest getting some sort of surge protector sent as well to prevent damage to your TV from cruddy mains power
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Ra(f): 2:52am On Jul 16, 2005
Practically everything that works in the UK will work in Nigeria.
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by jogego(m): 8:04am On Jul 16, 2005
GOTCHAAA!!!!!! They dont use SCART leads in Nigeria.....
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 8:52am On Jul 16, 2005
SCART isn't really in wide use anyway because the cables were a rip off
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by FrankO: 1:32pm On Jul 16, 2005
Seun,
The guy has not yet purchased the TV(s), so I may not know the specifications; but I will ask him to send me their specipications before he buys them. My friends' guidance on voltage will definately guide us. Thanks
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by oluwizard(m): 6:42pm On Jul 16, 2005
Hello guys,

I am into Electrical/Electronics Engineering. Nigeria and UK are using the same voltage, but the TVs and VIDEOs will not have sound here in Nigeria, because they are using 6.0mhz and in Nigeria we are using 5.5mhz. But that is a small problem; all you need to do is to find a good technician in your area to convert it for you. If it is video(VCR) they only need to adjust it; no replacement of any part [is required].

You can call me for more information, ok? 08023572724 08036567086.
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by FrankO: 8:40pm On Jul 16, 2005
Hello oluwizard,

Do you mean that the UHF or VHF is nor an obstacle? Some TVs have on them written UK CHANNEL, what does that mean please? Can any body help? Are they only made for UK?

Cheers!
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 8:53pm On Jul 16, 2005
Na wa oo.. For one, i know that most DVD's here won't work in NIgeria. Actually most electronics here won't work in Nigeria. Like the DVD in my room, it doesn't play Nigerian movies/songs. ONly American $h!t.

Editor: note that this post refers to the US, not the UK!
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 1:59am On Jul 17, 2005
Buy an all region DVD player (el-cheapo ones usually work) unfortnatly my sony isn't all region (I'm locked to region 4 :/) But my $120 JVC plays all regions and burns smiley

My sony was good when I bought it 6 years ago tongue
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by nike4luv(f): 1:36pm On Jul 18, 2005
but i was told..sky tv doesnt wok in nigeria
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Vieira(m): 8:24pm On Jul 18, 2005
sky TV That is a provider and has their own boxes and are UK specific.

I have sent my old TV home and it worked perfectly without any adjustments including the sound as well!

The DVD player we sent home was multiregion so it was not an issue. You can get a multiregion DVD as low as 30 pounds!! (Sainsbury were selling some for this price a month ago).

There is really no problems sending a UK tv at all, but as someone said you might want to get a stabiliser and surge protector to prevent NEPA spoiling the TV.

Frank O, PM me and I'll be able to advise better and will gibe you my number for your friend to call.
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by oluwizard(m): 10:15pm On Jul 18, 2005
All UK  TV'S can work in nigeria,  you only need to convert it, but if the tv is multisystem it will work  here directly.  For example if you are using sharp  television here in nigeria,  on the tv screen where it normally display  the channel of the tv under it you will see something like   "BG"  "DK"  "I"  If the sound SETTING is in BG  IT will bring good sound but if it is in DK  or  I  it will not give sound.  On dvd you only need to decode it.

uhf and vhf as notting to do in it but tell ur brother to get 3 band TV'S I.E [UHF,VHF,VLF]
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 5:42am On Jul 20, 2005
I extrememly strongly suggest that you get a surge protector and or a UPS, nothing kills electronics quicker than a jolt of electric current, and a loss of power in a movie would result in a bit of an anti climax!
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by tasteguy(m): 1:12pm On Jul 20, 2005
what you just have to do is to read the rating and adjust you adaptor to that while you must have plogged it through the stablizer
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:22am On Jan 03, 2006
Just get a surge protector from the UK; everything gets spoilt in Nigeria!  I wonder if a surge protector is any use.  sad

hmm let's say get a surge protector that says "£3000 guarantee" like in da argos catalogue.  Do you think they'll cover appliances in Nigeria?
Re: Can a TV used in UK work in Nigeria? by vokalguy(m): 2:40am On Jul 12, 2006
who in his right mind would take a tv from Uk to Nigeria, there is the risk of the tv gettin damaged, geez

(1) (Reply)

Cooker Hood Available For Sale At Low Price / Wireless Intercom Pabx IP Phone For Office, Home Use. / Iphone 5 Black 64GB - Few Months Old (very Clean)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.