Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People (13035 Views)

Poll: Are lefthanded ppl subject to normal table etiquette i.e fork and knife

applicable to lefties: 31% (10 votes)
not applicable to lefties: 31% (10 votes)
wtf, i'm african: 37% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

18 Basic Dinning Etiquette / ~Proper Etiquette Dinning Table / Table Manners/dining Etiquette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 7:55pm On Feb 24, 2012
tpia@:

and what exactly is wrong with eating rice and stew with your hands depending on the context?

like you never did it before?

ebi o o ti pa e!!!
yaba left calling tongue tongue
u r allowed to go wild in private, but oudoors u ought to behave cool

SNCOQ3:

I am proud to be a 'lefty' if i have to use only a spoon, i eat with my left hand even in public. I get the judgmental stare but i don't care.
imagine attending a state dinner with that mindset
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 7:57pm On Feb 24, 2012
^^i'm sure you're the type who sweats heavily and grunts while eating eba.

anyone talking to you at that time, you fit deal am dirty slap for disturbing your meal.

where is this "restaurant" you say you went to sef.

was it kfc in oshodi because you might not even know you're not supposed to eat chicken with fork and knife.

who wouldnt get confused when you see your date insisting you must use cutlery when eating fried chicken. Poor girl.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

yaba left calling tongue tongue
u r allowed to go wild in private, but oudoors u ought to behave cool
imagine attending a state dinner with that mindset
Mr. Man How many st8 dinners have u attended? do u mean to tell me that dem Obj, dangote, Atiku Bill gates those arab monarchs etc all have table manners? even dem balewa didnt have table manners yet they dined with the queen. Pls stop being fussy over nothing. Ur being ready to embarass a nice girl over something as trivial as her using left says so much about u as a person and I feel sorry for U.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by hajifaty: 8:58pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

one word bruv- EDUCATION!!!!
its not abt me, if u aint willing to learn - u wud make an Bottom outta urself.
as i said lots of myopic folks hanging around angry angry
wtf does etiquette hav to do with ur skin color shocked shocked shocked
"u can take the man outta d bush, but u cant take d bush outta d man"

U seems to be one of the big boys for nothing. WTF do u know about Education. Don't u know that knowledge is nothing without understanding. Just leave western culture for the westerners. Go get some sense little dude.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 9:27pm On Feb 24, 2012
tpia@:

and what exactly is wrong with eating rice and stew with your hands depending on the context?

like you never did it before?

ebi o o ti pa e!!!

i thought u ar my english teacher? tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 9:29pm On Feb 24, 2012
^you mean in addition to fighting war with english language, you also consider it unnecessary to speak yoruba?

what kind of people am i being exposed to in this place?
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by erico2k2(m): 9:37pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

tank u my Lady kiss, lots of uncultured folks with access to d net angry angry
btw, if u read my post i was jst askin for a lil education- thats all sad . in regards to ur question, yes i would, if she wasnt forming.
thanks Bruv- but dats d problem with the world today, dis young dudes feel trads are for d oldies forgetting that it shows class, opening doors for a chic b4 u enta wud be frowned at by kids( adebayo201,antartica, md4real, and co tongue tongue) of dis days
Guy stop this b4 it gets too far, I thought this was a Joke
Let me add my 2pence into it this table manner of a thing we adopt its not our way in Africa even at that let me just correct you a bit there is no right or wrong way of holding your knife or fork on the table Ok, the Onus is on the Holder ie knife is for cutting so the dominating hand holds the knife.So if Mr KK is left handed that means the left hand holds the Knife if he is right handed it reverses same as chop sticks.There are loads of food the English eat with thier hands and others they will eat with a spoonThe  issue of table manners got nothing what sover to do with how you hold you knife spoon or fork rather it got loads to do with what food you eat with your hands,spoon, knives & fork.I have notice in Nigeria there are10 to 1 in left handed people so all we see arround are right  handed people so we assume everyone must hold the fork in the left hand nah for a left handed person this could be very akward.Table manners got to do with how you eat open/close ur mouth, how you drink, not frowing food about or chewing on bones bringing teh Dogg out in you  lol Ability to talk while eating without choking** Note in England its rude to eat in silence while in Nigeria its rude to chat while you eat*

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by erico2k2(m): 9:38pm On Feb 24, 2012
adebayo201:

i thought u ar my english teacher? tongue
Bross if I begin count the ammount of food we eat with our hands here in England you sef go tire
Nothing spoil if the guy decide to eat Rice n stew with clean Hands
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by pato405(m): 10:04pm On Feb 24, 2012
@op

more or less like wearing a wrist watch on your right hand. absolutely right - if you are a southpaw. for the ambidextrous one's, the rule doesn't apply. any side [RH/LH] goes.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Ezeufi: 11:16pm On Feb 24, 2012
This kind of thread is an evidence that western education is a sin.
Only africans who are westernly "educated" would compete who is the best at oyinbo's table manner.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 12:34am On Feb 25, 2012
Yes, it is applicable to left handed people. I am left-handed and I had to learn that.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 1:08am On Feb 25, 2012
pato405:

@op

more or less like wearing a wrist watch on your right hand. absolutely right - if you are a southpaw. for the ambidextrous one's, the rule doesn't apply. any side [RH/LH] goes.
Stop making absurd comparison. If I should give you a plate of exotic salad and a fork, as a right-handed person, would you be comfortable to use your left? The whole thing is taken out of proportion.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by yiladogo: 1:30am On Feb 25, 2012
Well,
I'm left handed and honestly I use my fork on my left hand and knife on my right cause it's more convenient for me. and That's how I learned to use it. As for the whole table etiquette thing. I don't think it's compulsory for her to use a fork and knife. let her stick to one utensil it'll save her the whole bushy look. I use a spoon on my lefthand and anyone who see's me will figure I'm a lefty.

And for those who feel, it's a taboo to use to use your lefthand to eat. That's simply your opinion,
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 8:09am On Feb 25, 2012
erico2k2:

Bross if I begin count the ammount of food we eat with our hands here in England you sef go tire
u missed d point totally, i'm not saying u must always obey etiquette, but if u want to it must be done correctly
ItsModella:

Yes, it is applicable to left handed people. I am left-handed and I had to learn that.
thanx, ur opinion is well noted
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 8:16am On Feb 25, 2012
tpia@:

^^i'm sure you're the type who sweats heavily and grunts while eating eba.

anyone talking to you at that time, you fit deal am dirty slap for disturbing your meal.

where is this "restaurant" you say you went to sef.

was it kfc in oshodi because you might not even know you're not supposed to eat chicken with fork and knife.

who wouldnt get confused when you see your date insisting you must use cutlery when eating fried chicken. Poor girl.
yeske!
and u r the type that forms "Behind" eating eba with spoon and fork
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 9:03am On Feb 25, 2012
tpia@:

^you mean in addition to fighting war with english language, you also consider it unnecessary to speak yoruba?

what kind of people am i being exposed to in this place?

this shd solve the issue! angry

tpia@:

^I know you're still smarting because of your hatred of english grammer, but i'm here to help you get over your fear of improving what comes out of your mouth or out of your keyboard.

tongue tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 9:06am On Feb 25, 2012
erico2k2:

abeg bro na wrong quote u give oh shocked check wella b4 u quote person embarassed
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 9:18am On Feb 25, 2012
snthesis:

tank u my Lady kiss, lots of uncultured folks with access to d net angry angry
btw, if u read my post i was jst askin for a lil education- thats all sad . in regards to ur question, yes i would, if she wasnt forming.
thanks Bruv- but dats d problem with the world today, dis young dudes feel trads are for d oldies forgetting that it shows class, opening doors for a chic b4 u enta wud be frowned at by kids( adebayo201,antartica, md4real, and co tongue tongue) of dis days
kids! oga! haba! embarassed
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 10:08am On Feb 25, 2012
^^sowii, shud ve used Pikin instead tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by pato405(m): 10:23am On Feb 25, 2012
all4naija:

Stop making absurd comparison. If I should give you a plate of exotic salad and a fork, as a right-handed person, would you be comfortable to use your left? The whole thing is taken out of proportion.

your reasoning is obtuse. go back to the front page and read the post again. fist question you should ask yourself is what is the idea behind the phenomena?

it's far more convenient to cut-up your meal in pieces with your knife in your right hand if you are right handed because your dexterity in cutting is more enhanced with RH. if you are left handed, you can equally apply a better force on using your left hand on your knife. the other hand does a little job [since it's got less dexterity] of picking up the food with the fork.

it's as simple as that !
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by adebayo201: 10:25am On Feb 25, 2012
snthesis:

^^sowii, shud ve used Pikin instead tongue

you are getting it wrong! check my posts and see for yourself what i wrote about what the topic. You really piss me off when i saw kids like , embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by shaqhead: 11:50am On Feb 25, 2012
I feel she hs more strengt on ha left hand and using the knife especially wen cutting, requires a lot of strenght, so to me shes quite on point cos shes used to hr left and to hr d lft represents d right and d right d left!!!
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 10:22pm On Feb 25, 2012
adebayo201:

you are getting it wrong! check my posts and see for yourself what i wrote about what the topic. You really piss me off when i saw kids like , embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
egbon mi, bros ye, chairman i dey loyal sir
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by antartica(m): 10:26pm On Feb 25, 2012
Synthesis,u don't deserve that b-itch.She is real,while u are unreal.You are both on different frequencies, While u are in the bondage of subjectives beliefs,traditions and stiff necked dogmas,she is riding in the realm of freedom.Freedom for being real.

You can never be fulfilled,unless you are real
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 1:46am On Feb 26, 2012
pato405:

your reasoning is obtuse. go back to the front page and read the post again. fist question you should ask yourself is what is the idea behind the phenomena?

it's far more convenient to cut-up your meal in pieces with your knife in your right hand if you are right handed because your dexterity in cutting is more enhanced with RH. if you are left handed, you can equally apply a better force on using your left hand on your knife. the other hand does a little job [since it's got less dexterity] of picking up the food with the fork.

it's as simple as that !
I still frown at that. The argument is about her using the right hand in holding the fork while etiquette goes against it. It is insignificant to start ranting over that because it's no longer a  symbol of civility. It can only be applicable to some conditions in strict cultural environment(not a restaurant), nor the contemporary. So, it is a cultural thing. She is lefty and very well comfortable with it  - she needs to be accepted base on that. Not this self aggrandizement displayed by the person who took her out.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by erico2k2(m): 11:51am On Feb 26, 2012
adebayo201:

abeg bro na wrong quote u give oh shocked check wella b4 u quote person embarassed
was meant to copy tpia's not urs sowwy
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by erico2k2(m): 11:57am On Feb 26, 2012
snthesis:

u missed d point totally, i'm not saying u must always obey etiquette, but if u want to it must be done correctly
Am I OK Plzz plzz lets see your own understanding of the SO Called ETIQUETTE Im getting worried you are using that word for the very first time oyah give us your own understanding and definition of that word
PS Guy no fall our hand ohhhh
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by slam7000(m): 12:03pm On Feb 26, 2012
Quote from: pato405 on Yesterday at 10:23:12 AM

it's as simple as that !

I still frown at that. The argument is about her using the right hand in holding the fork while etiquette goes against it. It is insignificant to start ranting over that because it's no longer a  symbol of civility. It can only be applicable to some conditions in strict cultural environment(not a restaurant), nor the contemporary. So, it is a cultural thing. She is lefty and very well comfortable with it  - she needs to be accepted base on that. Not this self aggrandizement displayed by the person who took her out.

Different cultures have different table manners but the widely recognised and practised table manners is european or continental orientated.the girl in question was right to hold the cutleries the other way round if her excuse was that she was a leftie.As long as she was not seated nearer or closer and her prominent RH was not interfering in a clumsy manner or bumping on someone elses LH,she is fine.i believe she was sat opposite synthesis so why all the fuss,she said she was leftie and yes she can use her fork and knife the other way round.You can actually ask the restuarant to set the table for a leftie,pls make find out for yourself,here in london it is done,if you can ask them to set the table to suit your natural inclination.most families will tarin their kids on normal etiquettes but back home they are encouraged to use their prominent hands.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 10:05am On Feb 27, 2012
erico2k2:

Plzz plzz lets see your own understanding of the SO Called ETIQUETTE Im getting worried you are using that word for the very first time oyah give us your own understanding and definition of that word
PS Guy no fall our hand ohhhh
if u read my post properly, the table etiquette referred to was the proper way in holding the fork and knife - (loads of table etiquettes/manners dey o)

slam7000:

[color=#990000]Quote from: pato405 on Yesterday at 10:23:12 AM

Different cultures have different table manners but the widely recognised and practised table manners is european or continental orientated.the girl in question was right to hold the cutleries the other way round if her excuse was that she was a leftie.As long as she was not seated nearer or closer and her prominent RH was not interfering in a clumsy manner or bumping on someone elses LH,she is fine.i believe she was sat opposite synthesis so why all the fuss,she said she was leftie and yes she can use her fork and knife the other way round.You can actually ask the restuarant to set the table for a leftie,pls make find out for yourself,here in london it is done,if you can ask them to set the table to suit your natural inclination.most families will tarin their kids on normal etiquettes but back home they are encouraged to use their prominent hands.

thanks for rendering ur informed opinion- i grew up wit the notion that the right hand holds the knife and the left holds the fork- a couple of lefties have attested to this on this thread as well. The problem wit this notion is with a casual observer- no one looking at a diner from a distance is going to ask why the diner is eating with the utentils inappropriately i.e reverse handling,the assumption wud be the diner doesnt have an inkling on how to properly handle his/her cutlery rather than the person being a leftie.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by cdoffx(m): 8:25am On Mar 01, 2012
what is the ettiquete in holding cutleries. its simply that most people are RHded and since normally the hand you use has more power hence its only normal that you cut with the right hand however we lefthanded people have our strength in our left hand so you don't expect us to start fumblin with right hand to hold knife for cutting.
even our African ettiquete is absurd to me tellin us to compulsorily use right hand to eat, i eat eba and amala with my lefthand after all i use right for dirty jobs(toilet)
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by erico2k2(m): 5:27pm On Mar 01, 2012
snthesis:

if u read my post properly, the table etiquette referred to was the proper way in holding the fork and knife - (loads of table etiquettes/manners dey o)

thanks for rendering ur informed opinion- i grew up wit the notion that the right hand holds the knife and the left holds the fork- a couple of lefties have attested to this on this thread as well. The problem wit this notion is with a casual observer- no one looking at a diner from a distance is going to ask why the diner is eating with the utentils inappropriately i.e reverse handling,the assumption wud be the diner doesnt have an inkling on how to properly handle his/her cutlery rather than the person being a leftie.
Right I now understand your understing of the word Etiquette.Now Etiquette reffers to manners in this case you are reffering to table manners (this does not limit itslef to just how you hold fork and Knives) it involves the following
If on a date like you was
1Getting up when the lady comes to the table
2 Not eating with your mouth Open,
3 NotChewing Bones(This one Hard cha)
Have a decent convo while eating and many more
Now regards what hand you use to Hold Knife or Fork, there is no standard rule in this OK!hope you get this like most people rightly wrote on here already you use your DOMINANT hand to hold the knife .Me I swap hands on the table Ie cut with right and still use teh right to put food in my mouth.
Now it would intrest you to know that theere are more than on kind of Table Knife.
So I dont xpect U to go to a chinease Rest and being given chop stick you swop to your left hand lol
I have lived here long anough to know this ok,hope this settles teh matter.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 7:35pm On Mar 01, 2012
The op was obviously not hungry hence his staring bug-eyed at which hand somebody is using to eat food.

Maybe he himself didnt know which hand to use,lol, and wanted to use style cover himself.

Op was it a kfc "restaurant"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dishes You Know You Can Cook Anytime, Anyday / What Are Your Favourite Nigerian Food/Meals? / Disgusting Cake Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.