Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Bankole Arrested Again ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bankole Arrested Again ! (9262 Views)

Dasuki Released, Re-arrested Again / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office / Dimeji Bankole And Gbemi Saraki Having An Affair! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bankole Arrested Again ! by HighChief4(m): 4:59pm On Feb 23, 2012
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC yesterday arraigned the former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole before an Abuja Federal High Court over alleged involvement in a fresh N9bn contract scam. This is coming barely one month after an Abuja high court cleared him and his Deputy, Bayero Nafada, of any wrongdoing in the N40bn loan they were alleged to have misappropriated, The anti-graft agency, which approached the Court of Appeal to upturn the verdict of the Abuja high court, yesterday told the court sitting in Maitama that Bankole, during his tenure, awarded contracts to ghost companies in order to defraud.

EFCC prosecution witness, Mr. Ibrahim Ahmed, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, while giving evidence against Bankole, said the companies patronized by the ex-Speaker’s administration had no records with the Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC. The testimony was made before Justice Donatus Okorowo. Ahmed also stated that efforts to trace the locations of the companies were futile as the addresses found on the contract award documents were nonexistent. EFCC had slammed a 16-count criminal charge on the former Speaker which borders on contract inflation to the tune of N9bn. Bankole had challenged the competence of the charges and told the court to quash them on the grounds that the proof of evidence did not disclose any shred of criminality against him. He added that the counts in the charge sheet did not comply with Section 58(4) (a) of the Public Procurement Act 2007 under which he is being prosecuted.
Besides, Bankole had argued that the offence stated in Section 58 of the Act could only be committed by specified persons such as contractors, suppliers and procurement officers, hence he could not be affected by the provisions of that Act. The witness, a serving officer with the EFCC, stated that upon investigating the petition written against the former Speaker by an erstwhile member of the House, Hon. Dino Melaye, he found out that contact details of the beneficiary companies were non-existent. He added that letters sent to the addresses were returned two weeks later for reason of non-existence of the addresses.

It will be recalled that the leader of the ‘Progressives’ in the House of Representatives, Melaye, who petitioned the EFCC over the alleged N894m contract scam, said that the battle by the group against Bankole and the leadership of the House over alleged financial impropriety was borne out of patriotism and principle, and was not personal. He had told the former EFCC boss, Mrs. Farida Waziri, that they were fighting against corruption in the House, and not Bankole. He had said: “We have decided to battle corruption the way it has never been fought before, we have seen propaganda in the media and blackmail.
Government should not be seen as a government of the greedy, by the greedy and for the greedy. “I have antecedents in the House of Representatives, I raised the motion that led to the investigation of the Siemens case and the revocation of the sale of Delta Steel Company, Aladja; I raised a motion against Multichoice which led to a fine of N10m and they paid it to the coffers of the Federal Government; I raised the motion for the runway of Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport and it was reduced from N49bn.

“I equally raised a motion on the Airport-Kubwa road which was eventually cancelled. So, I have a history of championing the cause against corruption in this country. I do not see any difference from what we are doing, what we are experiencing in Nigeria now is a dreadful continental abnormality. “If we can question ministers, DGs, other executives of MDAs, we should equally look at ourselves as he who must go to equity must come with clean hands. We want the 10 principal officers of the House to explain how the N11bn appropriated between 2008 and 2009 was expended, though N2bn was returned to the Federation Account, they should tell us how the remaining N9bn was spent.

“We are aware of how 400 units of Samsung 40inches TV sets were bought at N525,000 per unit while the market price is N180,000.00, even if you add VAT of 10 per cent, the amount will not exceed N220,000.00 per unit; how N150m was spent on exotic bullet proof jeeps [Mercedes Benz], and N62m on Range Rover bullet proof jeeps when the President does not have such cars in his convoy.

“Our primary function is embedded in Section 88 SS 2b of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which states inter alia that corruption and inefficiency should be exposed by the House as truth has no colour, we hope that the details of this petition will help protect democracy.” Melaye had earlier led the same group to the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Abuja, where they submitted a similar petition to the former National Chairman, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo. Members of the group include Hon. Solomon Ahwinahwhi, Hon. Austin Nwanchukwu, Hon. Independence Ogunewe and Hon. Abba Anas.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/32021.html
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by ingot: 5:37pm On Feb 23, 2012
High_Chief:

“We are aware of how 400 units of Samsung 40inches TV sets were bought at N525,000 per unit while the market price is N180,000.00, even if you add VAT of 10 per cent, the amount will not exceed N220,000.00 per unit; how N150m was spent on exotic bullet proof jeeps [Mercedes Benz], and N62m on Range Rover bullet proof jeeps when the President does not have such cars in his convoy.

“Our primary function is embedded in Section 88 SS 2b of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which states inter alia that corruption and inefficiency should be exposed by the House as truth has no colour, we hope that the details of this petition will help protect democracy.” Melaye had earlier led the same group to the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Abuja, where they submitted a similar petition to the former National Chairman, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo. Members of the group include Hon. Solomon Ahwinahwhi, Hon. Austin Nwanchukwu, Hon. Independence Ogunewe and Hon. Abba Anas.

You can only imagine

Why was he released last time? Will a proper probe be put up now? How sure he won't plea-bargain and go scot free

Useless people angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Yeske2(m): 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2012
ingot:

You can only imagine

Why was he released last time? Will a proper probe be put up now? How sure he won't plea-bargain and go scot free

Nigerian politics, he would be left the hook as usual.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by kokoA(m): 6:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
Bank-ole again? This boy learn well o grin
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by mkmyers45(m): 6:48pm On Feb 23, 2012
ingot:

You can only imagine

You can just imagine this our country, anyway i believe it will be better someday
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by BigB11(m): 6:50pm On Feb 23, 2012
Just imagine Buhari as the head of EFCC, God knows that Bankole and many other criminals would have left this country many months ago.
Nigeria remains in the same spot until Nigerians are sensible enough to come together and rescue this great nation from the hands of blood suckers, who are here to stay forever and ever.

Occupy Nigeria was the right tool, but lack of leadership skills, management skills, organizing skills and presence of selfishness/ hopelessness among most Nigerians sabotaged the main purpose of Occupy Nigeria process.
It is a shame indeed.

Until we're smart enough to effectively get ourselves together, folks like Oladimeji Bankole will forever step on our constitutions and milk the national resources (or money) that belong to all of us for the rest of their tiny lives.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by BigB11(m): 7:10pm On Feb 23, 2012
Our troubles in Nigeria are very clear, in fact, clearer than spring water and solutions to these troubles are also pretty much straight forward.
But getting the right entity to exercise the right channels remains the most challenging task for over 40 yrs.
Only if Nigerians can just become a bit more sensible, let go sentiments, let go personal agenda and come together as one, I can assure you that it wouldn't take much to chase these burr heads out of town.

I have never seen cowards like Nigerian politicians/leaders before in my life. If you push them against the wall, they will run like no man's business.

What hope do you have when the heads of harmed rubbers association are also the ones selecting the head of security guards association?
EFCC remains a joke, a waste of time and a useless organization, until Nigerians take this country back from the burr heads.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by russellino: 7:22pm On Feb 23, 2012
Efcc's prosecution team is wack, they should hire me, I will nail that guy and his kpomo lips to the wall
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
GEJ's administration will remain incompetent until Segun Oni/ Fayose has been arrested, until then. . . . enjoy your fresh gas
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by executinal(m): 8:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
That guy called BANKOLE deserve to be cooling off in kirikiri angry
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by muyoto: 9:51pm On Feb 23, 2012
arrested and what next?
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by eghost247(m): 9:54am On Feb 24, 2012
again?
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 24, 2012
The moral of this tale is- there are some jackass u dont disgrace and fight with while in power,learn to identify them, those jackass dont forgive and they have a snake memory, they plot their revenge forever. Am talking of Hon Dino Melaye!
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by brainpulse: 10:07am On Feb 24, 2012
valacious:

The moral of this tale is- there are some jackass u dont disgrace and fight with while in power,learn to identify them, those jackass dont forgive and they have a snake memory, they plot their revenge forever. Am talking of Hon Dino Melaye!
Do you think this is a revenge mission i doubt. I believe there are some few or tinny Nigerians in high places that will not look at corrupt activities go scout free
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Basics007: 10:07am On Feb 24, 2012
Of course he'll be set free by all these 2kobo courts again.
But i always wonder when all these crooks are released who is really to be blamed. Is it the EFCC that cant build a competent case or the courts that doesnt have the nerve to convict a 'big man'?
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 24, 2012
brainpulse:

Do you think this is a revenge mission i doubt. I believe there are some few or tinny Nigerians in high places that will not look at corrupt activities go scout free
^yes i agree that dino melaye may be trying to fight corruption, but do u remeber how speaker bankole humilated this guy then?his salary withheld, and even told to go on suspension for months. Hon Dino might be fighting corruption to pacify his bruised dignity also.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by MAYOWAAK: 10:16am On Feb 24, 2012
Very quickly, Bankoleism is a term used to describe a man that adorns himself in white attires all the time, yet engages in activities that are at best black, such as conniving with bank officials to borrow, collect, use, misuse, manage or mismanage by sharing with fellow colleagues while majority of citizenry suffer.
Bankoleism, has different phases, it all depends on what side of the divide one chooses and you will be surprised about what you see. Bankoleism is when the Inspector General of the Nigerian Police decides o pay you a social visit on the eve of your arrest, abduction or invitation to a sister organization to answer questions regarding money that has already be spent, chopped and whacked.
It also is a state in which one falls from grace to graceful grass because N10b is not just ten naira.
While the larger society listens to the Bankoles and his sweet sounding grammar, they take loans and share amongst themselves in millions and billions. In Bankoleism its either you are judged on the pages of newspapers or your running mouth could put you into trouble, it all depends on whose shoes you take, whose foot you step on,
It's funny how the tables turn, one moment, former speaker Dimeji Bankole was telling the world how EFCC was not worth a dollar and next minute, he is going to be doing WAEC questions for hours nay days in the same EFCC.
The Bankoles of these nation, its political class and people are many, they include but are not limited the Patricia Ettehs, impeached for inflated contract of N620 Million and recently forgiven and before that given a national honour, the Wabaras, of the bribe for budget fame, the Bode Georges, took billions got a slap on the wrist, a thanksgiving and back grooving as a party chief, or is it the Ibrus, convicted and serving time in elite hospitals.
Bankole should have seen it coming, but sadly with so much to steal, they never see it coming. First it was the N2.3B naira car scam, and then the N9B naira contract scam.
And to imagine that Nigerians are celebrating Tamborine or Tambuwal, the new speaker tells us we are in for a long haul, we celebrate everything, like goodluck in the face of a lacklustre lucklost society, we are plagued with all sorts, in one week, we beat Argentine and it's called match-fixing, and same week are lucky by 6minutes not to have lost to Ethiopia.
A nation that celebrates when PHCN brings electricity with shouts of 'Up Nepa' is already cheering, PDP Dealt with, Obj looses out and all those tantalizing haedlines. However the truth is that "It will cost the country at least three hundred and thirty-eight billion, six hundred and forty-five million eight hundred and forty-five thousand, five hundred and ten naira (N338,645,845,510bn) in taxpayers' money to keep the 469 members of the incoming seventh National Assembly in office for the next four years."
For a nation that imports fuel that it has in abundance, because it cannot get just two refineries to function optimally. It would spend all that money for Mark, and Tambuwal, for doing nothing, It may interest Nigerians to know that sixth senate which just ended, passed only 91 bills in a period of four years with as much as over 20 Senators not having been to the chamber since January."
In the whole Bankole saga, it remains to be seen if it will end any better than other such Nigerian movies, we are either waiting for part two, or it's to God be the glory. EFCC says they discovered Bankole was plotting other schemes to thwart his voluntary surrender, arrest or kidnap, same time, the commission says the former Speaker will remain in custody to enable him have sufficient time to answer questions on the numerous fraud allegations against him.
In all these the ordinary Nigerian just watches not knowing who to believe and exactly what is happening.
The whole Abuja is agog, well wishers and jobbers and one wonders for a group that cannot explain, how just March 30, 2010, approved for itself : Speaker, N100m, Deputy Speaker, N80m, House Leader, N60m, Dep. House Leader, N57.5m, Chief Whip, N55m, Dep. Chief Whip, N54.5m, Minority Leader, N54.5m, Minority Whip, N50m, Dep. Minority Leader, N50m and Dep. Minority Whip, N50m for expences.
At a time when Nigerians are groaning under all sorts of economic pains, when governors while stealing claim they cannot pay N18, 000.
For the Bankoles in our society the arrogance is swell, its continuous, because what can the people do, it remains to be seen how Jonathan can achieve the feat of getting back a semblance of sanity into a corrupt system. With men like Dimeji's father Chief Alani Bankole, an Egba High Chief whose only comments were, he was not worried about the arrest of his son because he was sure that at the end of the day, the embattled former speaker would not be indicted.
“I trust my son. He will not be indicted. You can quote me as saying so.” What air of certainty, who would not feel that, if my son can steal, my error, I mean take a loan of N1B only I will say same I am sure?
I will take excerpts from an essay I wrote some five years back and conclude, Corruption has and will continue to thrive because we have power concentrated in the hand of few people who are not practically accountable to the people. Nothing visible and strongly commendable has happened, we can only hope for internal system restructuring, a form of self-repair.
We are on a continuous guinea pig breeding exercise of corrupt public officials that keep thriving because of a dysfunctional budding democracy, a democracy that has continued to remain nascent at the expense of public good
Despite the entire baby crawling efforts at posturing that Jonathan will do, this government lacks the commonest transparency as those before it, and as been done in the past, with aid from some eggheads, and credit to them, we will watch as they increase the technical complexity of their so-called reforms to conceal or pave way for the further distortion of the economy.
Bankoleism will be further enshrined into the system because of an illiterate, apathetic and ignorant populace, without adequate public discernment of political choices and knowledge
Our inability to tackle the menace of Bankoleism will leave us in the present masquerade supervised corruption in health, education, Police, transport, aviation, roads, housing, etc.
Jonathan and his team, if he can, if he will, needs to answer the following question, how does a public official advertise his corrupt services, what are the methods for concealing a corrupt payment, how do corrupt partners integrate vertically? If these and many issues are addressed, there would be fewer Bankoles.
It's not about eliminating corruption, it's about rebuilding the system, and we all have a part to play. Jonathan do one thing!
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by DrKnow1(m): 10:18am On Feb 24, 2012
Our judicial system is fast becoming a circus. Nigeria is a banana republic, sorry to say
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by chiama1: 10:27am On Feb 24, 2012
This guy Bankole is just a shameless thief cry, the sad thing though is that they set him free again. the ordinary man on the street will steal N20.00 worth of bread and get killed for it but mega thieves like this fool Bankole are celebrated.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:29am On Feb 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

GEJ's administration will remain incompetent until Segun Oni/ Fayose has been arrested, until then. . . . enjoy your fresh gas

We have many serving public officers who have criminal records and are still running the show. Segun Oni/Fayose are just one class, what about Oyinola and Rochas - but of course we all understand what is going on now don't we  wink
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by lucabraski(f): 10:34am On Feb 24, 2012
YORUBA PEOPLE. UNA TOO THIEF. HABA. UNA NO GET SHAME? shocked!!!![i][/i]
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Honeycity(f): 10:37am On Feb 24, 2012
lucabraski:

are you alright?
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Jemibee: 10:52am On Feb 24, 2012
Arrested and Released as usual !! abeg next story
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by bulksms247(m): 10:54am On Feb 24, 2012
Nigeria is very very funny. Anyday am feeling sad I just read Nigerian news I will start laughing
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 24, 2012
lucabraski:

Apparently you are not well trained or you wasted your parent's funds sending you to school. . . . . .I pity the poor man that sired you.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by damipaul(m): 11:05am On Feb 24, 2012
This headline is misleading! He was charged with this the same time he was charged with the 40Billion loan.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Ucheosefoh(m): 11:05am On Feb 24, 2012
@lucabraski u don start dem go ban u, lol @ ur comment @ topic very soon he will be discharge like b4 so no big deal
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Beaf: 11:08am On Feb 24, 2012
I keep saying it, that phucker is going to jail. cool
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Beaf: 11:10am On Feb 24, 2012
Ucheosefoh:

@lucabraski u don start dem go ban u, lol @ ur comment @ topic very soon he will be discharge like b4 so no big deal

Whatchout bruv, this is not Farida's EFCC.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 24, 2012
lucabraski:

Mumu. . . .just because ibo politicians steal smartly doesnt mean they are better than their yoruba counterparts.From 1999 till 2007,all the senate president from Enwerem, Okadigbo,wabara,Pius to ken are involved in dubious and fraudulent activities which some of them were disgraced and impeached out of office.Nigeria will prolly be put for sale if we finally have an ibo president.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by jdoss: 11:20am On Feb 24, 2012
Maybe I am missing something here, but this seems to be following the same pattern as the last case. It does not look as though they have him dead to rights on this crime. This looks like it is about contract inflation, and I don't think it is the responsibility of the speaker of the house to go to the market and check the prices of TVs.

The last case was dismissed because the "crime" that was committed was by the clerk of the house(or something like that). The same thing will probably prove true in this situation. Whose job is it to vet these contracts and make sure they are not inflated. That is the guy who should be charged in place of Bankole.

I think that if the EFCC wants Bankole, they needs to prove that the companies that benefited from the contracts then went ahead and gave Bankole money or that he interfered with the job of the guy that should have vetted the contract.
Re: Bankole Arrested Again ! by Beaf: 11:24am On Feb 24, 2012
jdoss:

Maybe I am missing something here, but this seems to be following the same pattern as the last case. It does not look as though they have him dead to rights on this crime. This looks like it is about contract inflation, and I don't think it is the responsibility of the speaker of the house to go to the market and check the prices of TVs.

The last case was dismissed because the "crime" that was committed was by the clerk of the house(or something like that). The same thing will probably prove true in this situation. Whose job is it to vet these contracts and make sure they are not inflated. That is the guy who should be charged in place of Bankole.

I think that if the EFCC wants Bankole, they needs to prove that the companies that benefited from the contracts then went ahead and gave Bankole money or that he interfered with the job of the guy that should have vetted the contract.

No sir, Bankole has to prove that those companies exist. That isn't the clerks job, I think they've got the guy this time; I'm sure that if he wriggles again, they will find another one. bankole is like a Ibori and IBB, natural thieves.

(1) (2) (Reply)

IGP, 3000 Policemen For Jonathan’s Visit To Borno, Yobe / Jubrin's Allegations: EFCC, ICPC, Police May Clash Over Budget Padding Probe / Patience Jonathan & Banks Trade Blame Over Funds Trapped In 10 Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.