Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Has Anyone Read Yann Martel's "life Of Pi"? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Has Anyone Read Yann Martel's "life Of Pi"? (1307 Views)

Life Of A Unilag Student / Life Of A Uam Boy / Has Anyone Read Eghosa Imasuen's novel "To Saint Patrick"? Is It Any Good? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Anyone Read Yann Martel's "life Of Pi"? by losky(m): 3:02pm On Mar 21, 2006
this is an awesome book,a must-read!
its kinda controversial,cos its supposedly based on a true story, the experiences of a sixteen year old indian boy called Pi who is the sole human survivor after the ship in which him and his zoo-keeping family (migrating from india to canada) sinks, andĀ  is on a life boat for 227 days in the middle of the pacific ocean,with a hyaena, a zebra, an orangutan and - beat this - a 450 pound bengal tiger which was finally his only surviving companion!!

another interesting thing about this story is Pi's conversion from hinduism to christianity then to islam,and trying to practise all three together!
we also learn about animal behaviour,as his parents owned a zoo in india.this adds to his survival tactics while on the life boat.

Pi is a creature of faith (or faiths,as the case may be),who sees eternally renewed wonder in God and in his creation.

when he finally gets aground,his story is seriously doubted,so he givesĀ  another version of his survival,which many people believe is the true one,while the other is a figment of his (crazy??) imagination.

the book is really captivating.I read it in almost 5 hours, it depicts a whole lot and will leave you pondering long after you're through,
theres a whole lot to talk about concerning life of pi,so i keep wondering,

Has anyone read Yann Martel's life of Pi?!!!!!!!!
Re: Has Anyone Read Yann Martel's "life Of Pi"? by alj(m): 5:38pm On Mar 30, 2006
yeah read it last year amazing!!!!! one of the best ever top 3 at least.
Re: Has Anyone Read Yann Martel's "life Of Pi"? by losky(m): 6:16pm On Mar 30, 2006
so alj, what'd u think of the authenticity of the whole story?
u think it was made up?
i would really like to know ur own views
i cant stop wondering about the whole experience,if it really happened.
Re: Has Anyone Read Yann Martel's "life Of Pi"? by shawna(f): 5:34pm On Jun 23, 2006
i heard so much about that book!!!!! cheesy cheesy i was gonna read it but havent really had the time sad

(1) (Reply)

How To Marry The Right Wife- A Guide For Men. / Ovunda Ihunwo Sets Port Harcourt Alive With 'Hopes Of The Living Dead' / Quillbot (paraphrasing & article rewriter Subscription) Available For One year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.