Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,227 members, 7,957,529 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:10 PM

Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash (2201 Views)

Police Raids Abuja Highway Market, One Killed (photos) / Ogun Police Arrest Touts With Gun,fake Police Warrant Card On Highway In Otta / Police Nab Three Inter-state Car Robbers After Their Operation(Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 6:49pm On Feb 24, 2012
40 die in Aba highway crash

From Iyabo Lawal, Ibadan

A GALE of deep wailing tore the air at Bola Ige and Alesinloye Markets in Ibadan, Oyo State yesterday following reported deaths of 40 people, including 22 traders from the two markets, in an auto crash along Aba-Onitsha highway.

advertisement

One of the survivors, Moses Olufayo, who is currently recuperating in a private hospital said the traders had gone to the textile market at Aba, Abia State and were returning when the accident occured.

While 22 of the traders died on the spot, survivors were rushed to St. Dominic Catholic Hospital, Ogungbade, Ibadan where medics are battling to save their lives .

Olufayo, who sustained cervical fracture, said the bus conveying the traders had a head-on collision with an Aba-bound bus.

Another survivor identified as Ade said the auto accident could have been averted if the two drivers had exercised some degree of patience.

Meanwhile, the wife of the senator representing Oyo Central Senatorial District, Ayoade Adeseun Tola has donated N.5 million to the hospital for a surgical operation for Olufayo, who needs the operation to avoid a complete paralysis.

Medical Director of the Catholic hospital, Dr. Taiwo Obisesan, assured that the hospital would do all within its power to ensure that the victim does not become paralysed.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/feb/23/7.html
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 6:54pm On Feb 24, 2012
First things first: may their souls rest in peace. They died for no fault of theirs as I reckon that three factors namely bad roads, DUI by one, or DUI by the other driver, might have caused the accident.

That said, is it not interesting to note that Yorubas travel all the way from the SW to buy goods in Aba for resell in the SW?

Most likely these same goods were imported by Igbo traders via Lagos port and Yorubas have to travel down to the East to buy and take back to their land.

Lesson of the day: Igbos who invest elsewhere because of a phantom market have no clue what they are doing. Even if your ware is in a cave and you are the only one having it, buyers will come looking for you right in your cave.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 24, 2012
Are Yoruba people now buying ankara cloths from Aba? Quite interesting! Better than importing them from Switzerland.

So unfortunate they lost their lives in the process.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 24, 2012
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 24, 2012
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by chosen04(f): 7:07pm On Feb 24, 2012
Nchara:

40 die in Aba highway crash

From Iyabo Lawal, Ibadan

A GALE of deep wailing tore the air at Bola Ige and Alesinloye Markets in Ibadan, Oyo State yesterday following reported deaths of 40 people, including 22 traders from the two markets, in an auto crash along Aba-Onitsha highway.

Nchara:

While 22 of the traders died on the spot, survivors were rushed to St. Dominic Catholic Hospital, Ogungbade, Ibadan where medics are battling to save their lives .

Do you mean that the accident happened on Aba- Onitsha high? And the Survivors were rushed to a Hospital In Ibadan? . . . . . . . . You mean they rushed the survivors about 778Km. . . . . . . . .Are they no hospitals in the East again?
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 7:15pm On Feb 24, 2012
chosen04:

Do you mean that the accident happened on Aba- Onitsha high? And the Survivors were rushed to a Hospital In Ibadan? . . . . . . . . You mean they rushed the survivors about 778Km. . . . . . . . .Are they no hospitals in the East again?

That question should go to the reporter Iyabo Lawal of The Guardian Newspaper. Most likely the survivors were in a fairly stable condition. I had been involved in an accident along the East-West road just before Yenagoa. I had significant surface injury but we still drove to Ibadan before seeing the doctor.

BTW, when I lived in Ibadan, I also noticed many Yoruba traders going to the East to buy stuff but it did not mean anything to me until I came to Nairaland grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Obiagu1(m): 7:32pm On Feb 24, 2012
^^^

People come all the way from Ghana to buy goods in Onitsha and Aba. Like you said, the idea that you have to invest outside Igboland to access to the market elsewhere is false.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by hercules07: 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2012
Nigerians travel far and wide to trade, the goods could not have been imported via Lagos. My mum and I traveled to the North to buy goods when we were young, it is the trading instinct in our peoples.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2012
hercules07:

Nigerians travel far and wide to trade, the goods could not have been imported via Lagos. My mum and I traveled to the North to buy goods when we were young, it is the trading instinct in our peoples.

As far as I know, all the things Igbos go to Lagos to buy are bought from Igbo business men in Lagos. Can you think of anything that Igbos travel to the SW to buy from a Yoruba person? I would like to know.

BTW, Igbo traders outside Igboland also travel to Igboland to buy goods
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by ektbear: 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2012
If they are travelling to Aba to purchase goods imported through Lagos, well that seems very inefficient.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Dede1(m): 8:17pm On Feb 24, 2012
@OP

I do not care if a person travels to Mamfe or Idi-araba, network of roads should be upgraded and maintained. This is an exemplary outcome event when we do not cry and demand services from the government with one voice as Nigerians. A road in the east should be as good as the road in the west, north or south.

Nonetheless, the article reeks of Nigeria big time. It is not even Aba-Owerri road or Owerri-Onitsha but Aba-Onitcha road.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by tollu: 8:27pm On Feb 24, 2012
Dede1:

@OP

This is an exemplary outcome event we do not cry and demand services from government with one voice like Nigerians.

Nor be cry the people don dey cry for donkey years so? People don cry sotey eye nearly commot. The government is deaf to the people's weeping and blind to their plight.

@Topic
This is just horrible.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by hercules07: 8:33pm On Feb 24, 2012
@Nchara

Kolanut, Cocoa and other things only sold by Yoruba people, SW people only go outside of their region to buy what those people have in abundance, going to buy goods imported via Lagos does not make sense, first of all, one of your brothers would have offered it to them right there in Ibadan and will just charge a premium as he is saving them from travelling to aba (afterall his container can pass through Ibadan and cut off at ife towards Ore and Eastwards, also, other yorubas would have bought it from your people in Lagos thereby acting as middle men, the traders have come to buy what is local to you guys and have a market for it shikena.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2012
hercules07:

@Nchara

[s]Kolanut, Cocoa and other things only sold by Yoruba people,[/s] SW people only go outside of their region to buy what those people have in abundance, going to buy goods imported via Lagos does not make sense, first of all, one of your brothers would have offered it to them right there in Ibadan and will just charge a premium as he is saving them from travelling to aba (afterall his container can pass through Ibadan and cut off at ife towards Ore and Eastwards, also, other yorubas would have bought it from your people in Lagos thereby acting as middle men, the traders have come to buy what is local to you guys and have a market for it shikena.

Cocoa to be used for what? What would Igbos use cocoa for? There is no value-adding cocoa processing company in Igboland or anywhere in Nigeria, except for multinationals like Cadbury, Nestle and Lever Brothers (choco milk makers) whom am not sure where they get their cocoa from but whom in any case have their factories in Lagos/Agbara. In any case, cocoa is grown in abundance in Abia and Imo. Indeed, there are 14 cocoa growing states in Nigeria. As for kolanut am also not sure. There are oji Igbo (Igbo kola) trees everywhere in Igboland. I will let other Igbos here weigh in on this one.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Dede1(m): 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2012
hercules07:

@Nchara

Kolanut, Cocoa and other things only sold by Yoruba people, SW people only go outside of their region to buy what those people have in abundance, going to buy goods imported via Lagos does not make sense, first of all, one of your brothers would have offered it to them right there in Ibadan and will just charge a premium as he is saving them from travelling to aba (afterall his container can pass through Ibadan and cut off at ife towards Ore and Eastwards, also, other yorubas would have bought it from your people in Lagos thereby acting as middle men, the traders have come to buy what is local to you guys and have a market for it shikena.

This is the mindset I had alluded in my previous post. You would be surprise the volume of goods that are not imported through port at Lagos. Yaoundé, Cameroon, Calabar and Port Harcourt, Nigeria are seaport often and quietly used by Ndigbo.

The moment the natural deepwater seaport is completed in Akwa Ibom State or the construction of Opobo (Opu Obu) seaport, Lagos will see less than usual traffic volume of imported stuffs.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Afam4eva(m): 8:58pm On Feb 24, 2012
Where did this accident happen. I'm seeing Aba and Oyo everywhere.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Dainfamous: 9:07pm On Feb 24, 2012
Everybody knows that the whole tribes in Nigeria travel to ABA for business same as onitsha,
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by executinal(m): 9:17pm On Feb 24, 2012
May their souls rest in peace.
@Nchara easy bro allow peace for once wink wink
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 9:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
executinal:

@Nchara easy bro allow peace for once wink wink

What does this mean? Would you rather I throw bombs than discuss facts?
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by igbaodun: 9:32pm On Feb 24, 2012
A dead Ibo is worth more to Nigeria than a living Ibo. buncha mo/r/o/ns
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Dainfamous: 11:28pm On Feb 24, 2012
igbaodun:

hw many monikas do u have? worthless bunch sad sad
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by ekwynwa: 12:05am On Feb 25, 2012
igbaodun:

another lunatic ve crawled out of his dirty cave. sad

guy take one shot of Otapiapia and end your misery already lipsrsealed
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by Nchara: 12:08am On Feb 25, 2012
ekt_bear:

If they are travelling to Aba to purchase goods imported through Lagos, well that seems very inefficient.

Unlike their Igbo counterparts, they cannot do more than their finances permit: they are not financially capable of international trading. We are talking about average Yoruba traders, not Tinubu, Otedola, Adenuga and the other rich Yorubas.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by BlackPikiN(m): 12:29am On Feb 25, 2012
There is something about people from OYo state.
E be like say na dem dey trade pass.

Go to Orlu market na dem full there dey follow sell food stuff. Dem dey speak igbo like say tomorrow no dey.

Some of their men are into building houses.

I still laugh at those mo/ro/ns who say Yoruba no dey go SE.
Go to Aba and Umuahia and see the population of yoruba.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by EzeUche(m): 12:32am On Feb 25, 2012
The ethnicity of the person should not matter, what matters is the horrible state of Eastern roads.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by ektbear: 4:11am On Feb 25, 2012
Nchara:

Unlike their Igbo counterparts, they cannot do more than their finances permit: they are not financially capable of international trading. We are talking about average Yoruba traders, not Tinubu, Otedola, Adenuga and the other rich Yorubas.

How can it be cheaper to go all the way to Aba to buy goods imported through Lagos?

That is insanity.

I am wondering what they actually went to buy there.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by ASOROCKb(m): 4:22am On Feb 25, 2012
EzeUche:

The ethnicity of the person should not matter, what matters is the horrible state of Eastern roads.
Spot on, Bro
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by aljharem(m): 5:03am On Feb 25, 2012
this is sad cry cry

40 people died and the OP is too bigoted to reason. What an ideeiot
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by ektbear: 5:05am On Feb 25, 2012
Hmm, insensitive of me too to get distracted by this guy's agenda.

RIP to the dead.
Re: Politics Of Inter-zonal Trade: 40 Die In Aba Highway Crash by aljharem(m): 5:11am On Feb 25, 2012
ekt_bear:

Hmm, insensitive of me too to get distracted by this guy's agenda.

RIP to the dead.

are you minding the ideeiot

it is like each time a yoruba who does not even know that NAIRALAND and ideeiots like him exisit, the ideeiot feels happy.

When I talk they would say Alj harem is bad but you notice how none of them cautioned him.

[size=13pt]No sensitivity, Lack of compassion, pure wickedness[/size] angry angry angry

but if na Igbo now, they would come here shout nwannem this Gburuburu that. Let me here anyone talk wen I start my turn

I mean not 12 or 15 people but 40!!!! just like that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Female Robbery Gang Leader Nabbed And Stripe Naked In Abuja Today (pics) / Igwe Of Awgbu In Anambra Kidnapped / See How Kidnappers Were Caught, Stripped And Beaten In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.