Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved (2643 Views)

Sun Man Of The Year...should It Have Been GEJ? / Tinubu Wins The Sun Man Of The Year (Photos) / 2015 Election : Who Is To Honour As "The Politician Of The Year?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Beaf: 3:08am On Feb 28, 2012
[size=14pt]Akpabio’s honour as Sun Man of Year 2011 well deserved —Oshiomhole[/size]
Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Edo State governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole on Saturday, described the Sun Man of the Year Award 2011, bestowed on his AkwaIbom State counterpart, Chief Godswill Akpabio by the managemant of the Sun newspaper as a honour well deserved.

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) governor, who was the Sun Man of the Year 2010, stated this while
presenting the award to Akpabio at an event held at the Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.
[size=14pt]
According to Oshiomhole, “the Sun Man of the Year 2011 that is being honoured today is not a fluke. It is based on what you have been able to put in place in.your state as their leader since you took over the rein of leadership. I have been to AkwaIbom State and I know what I saw. This award is a confirmation of your achievements in office and I can say without any apology that you deserve this.”[/size]

Speaking shortly after receiving the award, Governor Akpabio said the award “ is a recognition of commitments, hardwork, passion and deep sense of service to good governance in the country.”

Akpabio, who dedicated the award to the children of Akwa Ibom rescued from child labour from various parts of the country to becoming beneficiaries of the ongoing free and compulsory education programme in the state, said the gesture of the Sun newspapers represented the readiness of media institutions to partner those in governance for sustainable democracy in the country.

The governor, who invited other Nigerians to explore the rich potentials of Akwa Ibom by coming to confirm the extent of development, changes and transformation, noted that the Year 2011 was challenging base on the failed attempts by opposition groups to cripple his administration through propaganda and falsehood.

He remarked that the award would spur more anger in him for the development of the state as a model for others to emulate, listed major sector of achievements in the implementation of free health care programmes for children from the age of 1 – 5 and also to pregnant mothers.

Akpabio indicated that the Akwa Ibom government has also made significant attainments in the construction of an independent power plant IPP, the Tropicana entertainment centre for tourism while a partnership has been established with the Federal government for the development of a deep sea port at Ibaka, saying the mega project will complement services provided by an international airport constructed at the instance of his administration.

Noting that the accomplishments of his administration go beyond stories, Akpabio thanked the Sun for maintaining a criteria of selecting the awardees without undue influence, stressing that it gives hope to the continuation of the Nigerian project based on the will of God for unity and progress.

The managing director/Editor – in chief. The Sun, Mr Tony Onyima said the award which has gone through a transformation since 2003 was instituted to acknowledge the contributions of individuals in the development of the Nigerian nation.

Onyima stated that in the repositioning the essence of the award the contributions of ordinary Nigerians have been taken into considerations, adding that with the growth in status and statue the award has been opened up for sponsorship of organisations.

He assured that with the involvement of corporate institutions the Sun newspaper was committed to sustaining the celebration of contribution of Nigerians in lifting hope for the country.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/36729-akpabios-honour-as-sun-man-of-year-2011-well-deserved-oshiomhole
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Beaf: 3:09am On Feb 28, 2012
Lets give honour to the best governor in Nigeria.
He is the best by a long shot. cool
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Afam4eva(m): 3:45am On Feb 28, 2012
Akpabio deserves all the accolades he's been getting. His works are there for everyone to see.
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by adook1: 6:14am On Feb 28, 2012
No salaries since last year
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 28, 2012
Are they saying the man is devoid of any form of corruption? Mchewww
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 28, 2012
yorke:

No, they are saying is the best within the corrupt. I heard many good things about that Governor, it cant be wrong!
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by aljharem(m): 10:06am On Feb 28, 2012
afam4eva:

Akpabio deserves all the accolades he's been getting. His works are there for everyone to see.

When last have you been to Akwa Ibom ?
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 28, 2012
yorke:

Let us all learn to celebrate excellence. Corrupt or not. The guy has been delivering to the people of his state and like the earlier poster said. His works are there for all to say.
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by gonon: 10:20am On Feb 28, 2012
If he is corrupt, then i like his form of corruption. If roads/bridges are being constructed, provision of free education, construction of an airport and trying to better the life of Akwa Ibomites is corruption then i am up for it. Am still waiting to see which other PDP governor is doing what he is doing. The last time i visited the state, i was impressed. AKWA IBOM ADO OK
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 28, 2012
Congratulations to him.
He has really tried by raising the pedestal there.
Now, Akwa Ibom people have an idea of what developing means.
Anybody that comes after him just has to beat his standard and I hope he ensures the person that will be taking over will be a development inclined person with ideas of how to move the state forward  cool
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Afam4eva(m): 10:46am On Feb 28, 2012
@al_harem
There are cameras in Akwa Ibom and the state is not camera shy.
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by chuks49(m): 10:50am On Feb 28, 2012
Ibori did well as governor, that did not stop him from looting. Naija is made up of lootocrats.
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by Kabai: 11:04am On Feb 28, 2012

As every other leader in Nigeria till date, Akpabio would definitely not be devoid of corruption. But when I visited Akwa Ibom last, I was forced to ask about who the governor is because of what I saw there. I say it so sincerely here, I thought I was arriving in Abuja cos of the infrastructural design that Julius Berger has done there which can be likened to the designs in Abuja constructions. You can see that with the roads, round about, fly overs etc. You know what? If Akpabio had been one of those greedy governors, he wouldn't let Julius Berger do the major road constructions in the state which will stand the test of time.

As an advocate of SUSTAINABILITY, i would have called him the Governor with excellent sense of SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT.

I also asked what the slogan "AKWA IBOM ADO OK!" means, and my an Akwa Ibomite explained to me how the governor got into the government house, and to his surprise discovered that the allocations to the state were quite sufficient for first class development projects contrary to what his predecessor (Victor Attah) used to tell the people, and then he declared the THE RESOURCES AND ALLOCATIONS WERE SUFFICIENT for excellent developmental projects, and then declared "AKWA IBOM ADO OK" meaning AKWA IBOM IS RICH, AKWA IBOM IS GOOD, etc. A selfish governor wouldn't establish this kind slogan, but would hid the state resources as the previous did.

So that Governor deserves the award, and he is really a good fellow. I know he is willing to do better.
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by amtheone(m): 11:21am On Feb 28, 2012
I thank God for my Governor - Akpabio. I like this statement "His works speak for him". I always believe that if one is working, he doesn't need media advert. His works will speak for such individual.

God bless Akpabio
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by akpanbaba: 12:27pm On Feb 28, 2012
The state witnessed an unprecedented political killings-------------He has done well

The state recorded an unprecedented number of kidnappings, He has done well

The blood of innocent Akwaibomites murdered is equal to development------- Well done

Modern development strategies depend on the quantity of blood wasted in Akwa Ibom, New theory of development.
I dont know how many people Oshiomhole has killed in Edo State as he is also developing Edo State.
I wonder why lives were snuffed out of several akwaibomites without waiting to see how their governor was honoured as the Sun Man of the Year .I dont know if Sun a has the DEADLY GOVERNOR OR THE MOST INSECURED STATE OF THE yEAR AWARD for Akpabio.I am waiting patiently.This is a clear case of the journalism of brown envelop.People who see evil and still continue to sing praises of evil will be consumed by evil soon
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by olaezebala: 1:00pm On Feb 28, 2012
he is a holy criminal so he deserve it
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by CuteTj(m): 3:07pm On Feb 28, 2012
As the Governor of the state with the highest amount of money received as Federal Allocation + the 13% derivation from oil, he should be hanged if he isnt the best Governor. Kudos to Him sha!
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by adook1: 3:23pm On Feb 28, 2012
This man is buying awards to boost his bad profile.pls visit akwa ibom and talk about him and get lynched . Media made governor
Re: Oshiomhole: Akpabio’s Honour As Sun Man Of Year 2011 Well Deserved by mystikal(m): 7:34am On Mar 02, 2012
This governor has his fair share of critics and maybe he has one of the fattest allocation in the land, but the development in that state is really visible and clear. I am not easily impressed with Nigerian rulers but when I visited Uyo, I was struck by the development compared to the last time i was there about 4 years ago.

(1) (Reply)

Yobe Govt Relaxes Curfew In Damaturu / Lets Vote For Boko Haram Or Against Boko Haram Ammesty / Soldiers, Residents Flee As Boko Haramapproaches Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.