Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,428 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine (4684 Views)

FRSC Officials In Ibadan Sitting In Their Van Carelessly / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / VIO In Lagos Impounded His Car Over Fake Drivers License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Aks(m): 1:45pm On Feb 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I found it amusing that this country is a joke. I shipped a RHD car from UK via Grimaldi.

The car was dully cleared by customs yesterday and at the point of delivery to the owner this morning, FRSC officer stopped the agent and said the car is not roadworthy. The asked for settlement ASAP and when he didn't give in, they moved the car into their compound and slashed a fine of 52K to be paid after the agent appear in court on Thursday.

Question
Why is the RHD car allowed entry into this country in the first place, is it for the FG to generate money bth from CUSTOMS (Through Duty) & FRSC (Impounding the car and slashing a huge fine) or something is not adding up somewhere. I really need your sincere opinion on this matter
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Mykellio: 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2012
my brother, sorry about your experience. its rather unfortunate! but then you need to understand that the FRSC is a domestic and internal road and traffic law enforcement agency. the entry or embargo of your RHD car is not their jurisdiction. it is when you drive such car on the road that you are liable to being apprehended and charged to court. that is not to say that i have not seen people driving RHD cars in Lagos but it is actually illegal to do so. that is why i started by saying that your experience is rather unfortunate. perhaps you should find a way of explaining to them that your actual plan was to convert the car to LHD immediately upon delivery. but the TRUTH is that in Nigeria, RHDs are not allowed and FRSC does not have the jurisdiction to stop their entry.

1 Like

Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Aks(m): 2:09pm On Feb 28, 2012
@ mykello - Thanks for the response, I already arranged for the conversion guy who met us @ road safety office. FRSC officials kept saying we should settle ASAP or else they will issue d ticket which they claimed is a new directive. I called their cust complaint no and I was asked to send a mail to an addy which I did inorder to address it cos I complained abt their men asking for bribe and the huge amt slashed on me as FINE. I do hope to hear from them.

I think there should be a synergy btw customs and FRSC giving a set date like 3 days after the clearing date of which the car will be declared not roadworthy to give room for delivery of such cars to d owner and subsequent delivery to the techician that will do the conversion.

They can as well ban importation of RHD cars outrightly to forestall this occurence
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Pennywise(m): 2:12pm On Feb 28, 2012
52k is for frsc clearance. . . . Do you want to sell your car or not?
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Aks(m): 2:15pm On Feb 28, 2012
Nope, personal use

Have u had such experience b4 and how do you mean 52k is for frsc clearance.,
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by SamMilla1(m): 1:57pm On Feb 29, 2012
Those rogues now replaced police in harrasing people on the road. They seized my drivers licences because they said i have no triangle. Initially asked for 2k which refused thinking that i have freedom in this country. Gave me to then pay the 2k in some bank accounts before 15 days or face court. Funny. Its over 15 days now and i have been driving with the copy. Who knows what they are going to do next
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by ingot: 2:03pm On Feb 29, 2012
Its quite bad what we experience in this country, Try to be wise and head-strong as much as possible. Have you registered road worthy particulars? You must have a little fault which they are trying to play on.
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Gentleboby: 2:16pm On Feb 29, 2012
Ala-roro why refuse to settle them in the first place, When you do illegal thing same time do illegal settlement.
Thank you at list this will be a lesson to all nairamember.
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by hardbody: 2:16pm On Feb 29, 2012
@Sam Milla,

If you are able to stay out of trouble till you are due for renewal, then do not bother with them. Some years ago (about 4 or 5), i was driving back after xmas in the villa and the FRSC stopped me and identified that my brake lights were not functioning. They seized my drivers license and directed me to go and pay at some union bank around ihiala ( I live and work in Lagos) and that was on a weekend, I happily left the license with them. When it became due at the next time, i simply renewed my license. THose guys do not have records and they would not do you jack, except you fall into their hands again. I have even given then coloured photocopies of the driving license severally in Lagos and i have never had any body suing me to the courts.

@poster

I haven't read that law but i have been told that there is a law (maybe a bylaw or something) allowing RHD vehicles on the road for 3 months or thereabouts. Interestingly, it was my FRSC girl friend that gave me that hint, so obviously they have some jusrisdiction, be it inherent or expressed legally for teh FRSC to enquire into the RHD issue. Do not sit on a high horse, ask to find out what you are paying for and how best to remedy it, it might just be that you will then get a formal approval to use it for a limited time until you effect the change. It is a pity about any embarassment you might have faced, it is our Papa's land.
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by chelseabmw(m): 2:33pm On Feb 29, 2012
embarassed embarassed
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by DisGuy: 3:19pm On Feb 29, 2012
Aks:

@ mykello - Thanks for the response, I already arranged for the conversion guy who met us @ road safety office. FRSC officials kept saying we should settle ASAP or else they will issue d ticket which they claimed is a new directive. I called their cust complaint no and I was asked to send a mail to an addy which I did inorder to address it cos I complained abt their men asking for bribe and the huge amt slashed on me as FINE. I do hope to hear from them.I think there should be a synergy btw customs and FRSC giving a set date like 3 days after the clearing date of which the car will be declared not roadworthy to give room for delivery of such cars to d owner and subsequent delivery to the techician that will do the conversion.

They can as well ban importation of RHD cars outrightly to forestall this occurence

Are you serious? lipsrsealed
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by femmy2010(m): 3:45pm On Feb 29, 2012
I feel so sorry for your loss.
Officially,a RHD vehicle is not allowed to come into the Country(It is a contraband,same with an a car older than 15 years)and before it would ever be cleared,your clearing agent must have played ball with customs releasing officers.
Officially,the FRSC operatives are empowered to impound RHD vehicles on Nigerian roads,though bad but your agent should have simply given them their undue inducement which should be in the N500 - N1000 range.
It is well my bruva and i do remain sorry for your loss.
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by gbenga007(m): 4:55pm On Feb 29, 2012
I read your post and I dare say it's very unfortunate - and indeed. The number of RHD vehicles have increased geometrically over the years, with people even thinking it's fashionable to drive "rightee". I'd tried to insert some pertinent and aforementioned posts herein but I just couldnt. However, I'd advice you wait for response since you have officially lodged your complaints. Besides, it's an organisational policy. However, i would say, albeit anonymously, sequel to some nairalanders urging you to demand for the details of the offence. The offence is called DGD (50k) and OVO (2k) for Dangerous driving and Other Violation Offences, respectively. Dangerous driving in the sense that it violates normal and generally permitted driving. NOTE that driving includes the driver and the drived, human and vehicular, among other things. Feel free to outpour your anger here.

@Femi, Thanks. I perceive he's a clearing agent and understands the situation better

Disclaimer: I'm NO FRSC and please dont take your emotional display here too personal.
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 29, 2012
@OP: With all due respect i feel no pity for you. For one it's a big safety risk trying to convert RHD to LHD, not to mention the psychology of being the odd man out on the roads or the cost of conversion. Besides why can't we just follow simple instructions and obey the law. I shake my head if it's the fashionable thing dats y u chose RHD; any reason at all is not even worth the stress. the fine for dangerous driving amongst others is 50k. You can follow up and get them charged for requesting bribes, but u must also pay ur dues for breaking the law.
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by lilkech(m): 10:34pm On Feb 29, 2012
Op next time if u see rightee u go run
Re: Frsc Impounded My Car, gave a ticket of 52k as Fine by Chinom(m): 10:41pm On Feb 29, 2012
Next time, simply import from Germany, Holland or Belgium. Many people in the UK buy thier cars meant for Naija fron those places.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Distinguish Between A 1999/2000 Honda Accord (baby Boy) And A 2002 / What Colour Would You Prefer Your Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon To Come In? [PHOTOS] / Mikkyphp's Free Paint Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.