Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,593 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation (5951 Views)

Pls Can I Get Interpretation To My Dream / Dreams Interpretation! Dreams Interpretation!! Dreams Interpretation!!! / The Evolutionary Basis For Morality (A Lesson For Christians) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 7:31pm On Feb 29, 2012
Thank you Cgift for your contribution.

I was not talking about the physical either when I said Adam was made in Elohim's image. I was talking about the fact that he was both Male and Female. The distinction is spiritual before it is physical.

And we are heading back to that state because as you rightly pointed out Jesus said that when that time comes we shall be like the angels. Angels are not divided into gender.

('but wait . . .', I hear someone ask, 'what about the sons of God that took daughters of men for wives in Genesis'? I no go lie to you, I cannot answer that one.)
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by lagcity(m): 7:34pm On Feb 29, 2012
My own basic rule is pick the one that suits you and ignore the rest. I like the part where Jesu turns water to wine. Haleluyah!! I'm neva drinking water again grin. Brothers and Sisters in the Lord, abeg make una pass me the Henessy cheesy The Lord is good.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by UyiIredia(m): 7:38pm On Feb 29, 2012
Biblical Encyclopedias are also useful. Mr Chinedumo's point of reading the whole Bible is critical. Once that is done one won't take the Bible out of context. Another important way of reading the Scriptures is through cross-referencing. A beginner at interpreting the Bible can start with Dake's Bible but I don't think that's necessary. By 9, I was already critically studying the Bible for myself. Finally, learn to read between the lines. Once one reads critically the Bible fro cover-to-cover the so-called contradictions Bible critics mention will be seen for what they are: reading out of context.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 7:47pm On Feb 29, 2012
The origin of Paul’s doctrine of the two Adams in 1 Cor. 15.45-49 has been the subject of much discussion. The most commonly argued background is Philo or Alexandrian traditions. Study of Philo, however, makes it unlikely that Paul is reacting either to Philo, to Alexandrian traditions, or even to a misrepresentation of Philo. Gnosticism also does not provide a plausible background. In 1 Cor. 15.46 Paul is not reacting against an over-realized eschatology, nor is he reversing an alleged priority of ‘spiritual man’ to ‘natural man’. Paul’s main object is to answer the question of 1 Cor. 15.35: In what kind of a body are the dead raised? The closest parallels to Paul from the history of religion are found in rabbinic literature. Paul knew Palestinian exegetical traditions about a first and last Adam. His encounter with the risen Christ gave concrete form to that abstract idea.

http://jnt.sagepub.com/content/25/3/343.abstract
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by stildude(m): 8:36pm On Feb 29, 2012
2 Cor 3: 6. Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. The above scripture should be clear enough. There is head knowledge of the bible and heart knowledge. Some preachers know the bible inside out (I mean the logos), they know the greek and hebrew versions, they can quote more than 4 versions of the bible. Even know the dates and the present value of ancient wealth. While all these are good, The question is what do they seek to achieve with this knowledge. Is it all for the sake of theological relevance?. No Matter what the scriptures sounds or reads like, it is the Holy spirit that can interprete or show us the real meaning. He is our teacher.

Take for instance, the scripture 2 Cor 5: 17 that reads. If any man be in christ, he is a new creature, old things are passed away and all things are become new could be used to mean new birth or salvation. But with the light of the spirit, when logos turn to rhema, a christian sister received her healing. She was suffering from a deadly disease. She came to church one day and heard the message of salvation. After receiving Christ. She later learnt about the above scriptures and thought to herself. '' I am no more that person that had that deadly disease'' With faith in her heart, she received her healing. Another example is an old illiterate woman that was taught that if you have a little faith, you could tell a mountain to move and it shall move (matt 17 : 20) Thereafter approach her pastor and said ''concerning that scripture, My husband left me a plot of land that I would have converted to economic activity to alleviate my plight. But the problem is, there is a big rock in the middle of the plot. Based on this scripture can I tell this rock to move?'' The pastor said ''well that is what the bible said'' But the woman left with a great conviction and was praying that the rock should move. not long after that. A construction company approached and paid her to blast off the rock. The rock was totally removed and the woman was able to convert the plot into profitable venture. The point here is whatever the Holy spirit interpretes, that is the meaning of the WORD thereof. There could be two seemingly unrelated scriptures, but through the help of the Holy Spirit, you will be able to join them together and the scriptures will form pictures  or revelation to you and it becomes profitable to you.

The problem with the church today is that there is not enough light or faith to see and believe the word. Too many religious, fanatical, philosophical preachers out there. Most of the great men God has ever used to spear head rivival waves in the world were men who didn't attend bible school or later attended after their calling. (act 4: Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 9:50pm On Feb 29, 2012
Just so as the kabbalah Adam Kadmon stuff (from Wikipedia) is not left unchallenged, a short extract from a very recent piece:

http://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/j23_3/j23_3_70-75.pdf

There is some debate about whether Paul is using the Philo’s categories of “earthly” and “heavenly” man. Although some see Philo’s influence, the connection is tenuous, especially with no proof that Paul uses Philo’s categories anywhere else. Most of Paul’s other terminology differs sufficiently from Philo that there is no reason to conclude that he is being influenced by him in this passage. This is all the more true when one considers that evidence for the influence of Genesis on this passage is much stronger. There is no reason to posit another major background influence since the Genesis influence sufficiently explains the passage.

Possible Rabbinic influences face the same problem; a superficial reading seems to support the conclusion that Paul was influenced by them, but analysis invariably exposes such links as forced.

Similarly, far too much is being made of the absence of the word "them" with unsubstantiated accusations and allegations. Everyone knows that many English conjunctive/disjunctive etc words have to be and are added to make sense of some sentences/passages. Ask anyone who speaks Arabic for example, especially of the Egyptian everyday variety and see if it can be translated sensibly into English without adding far far far more than words like "them" etc.

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Mafious(m): 10:05pm On Feb 29, 2012
I don't know what rabbinical exegesis is but I'm sure it but I can assure you it is a senseless word if you don't believe me
look up the meaning of both words and you would see they do not belong together.

It appears Pastor AIO is a theologian; simply defined it is making the simple and pure word of God that can be easily
understood by even the unlearned complicated.

Jesus said the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat "true" that the pharisees are the one with Authority to interpret
the scriptures is a lie from the pit of hell sold to us by theologians. No where would you find Moses interpreting
a single scripture to anybody rather he sat in judgment resolving disputes and providing General Foresight to the nation
of Israel the pharisees where basically Lawyer (learned in the law of God just as lawyer today are learned in civil litigation)

Lack of personal discipline is the reason Bible Colleges thrive Joshua 1:8 says this book of the law shall not depart out of
thy mouth not out of theological class.

When Paul says "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn" he was quoting an old testament scripture which
forbade farmers from muzzling the threshing Ox so that the would not starve because

1 Oxen need a lot of food and it they were let to roam free they could very well fend for them self so if you denied them the
right to find their own food be prepared to feed them.

2 The risk of underfeeding them is genuine so not muzzling them is guarantee that they would not starve God is not an abuser of
his creations.

If you read the Acts of the Apostles and all the epistles of Paul you not find a single place where he takes from the Church
coffers even though he founded every single one of them, the Church council and decides what he gets and some members of his
congregation give him a prophets offering.

Even though the Ox is not muzzled their is a limit to how much it can eat cause their is still a yoke around it neck that makes
it uncomfortable if it bends to eat too often.

When petrol became scarce in the 80's everybody opened a Filling station, when recharge card business was booming everyone
sold recharge cards, it has become apparent that the Gospel is a money spinner so don't be surprised when you see hundreds of
Churches springing up. If Pastor's did what Paul did and let the Church council determine a fixed income most people would
not be called of God as many say they are, believe me if you want to be called of God everything that happens to you would point to God
calling you whether he does or not.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 12:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
stildude:

Take for instance, the scripture 2 Cor 5: 17 that reads. If any man be in christ, he is a new creature, old things are passed away and all things are become new could be used to mean new birth or salvation. But with the light of the spirit, when logos turn to rhema, a christian sister received her healing. She was suffering from a deadly disease. She came to church one day and heard the message of salvation. After receiving Christ. She later learnt about the above scriptures and thought to herself. '' I am no more that person that had that deadly disease'' With faith in her heart, she received her healing. Another example is an old illiterate woman that was taught that if you have a little faith, you could tell a mountain to move and it shall move (matt 17 : 20) Thereafter approach her pastor and said ''concerning that scripture, My husband left me a plot of land that I would have converted to economic activity to alleviate my plight. But the problem is, there is a big rock in the middle of the plot. Based on this scripture can I tell this rock to move?'' The pastor said ''well that is what the bible said'' But the woman left with a great conviction and was praying that the rock should move. not long after that. A construction company approached and paid her to blast off the rock. The rock was totally removed and the woman was able to convert the plot into profitable venture. The point here is whatever the Holy spirit interpretes, that is the meaning of the WORD thereof. There could be two seemingly unrelated scriptures, but through the help of the Holy Spirit, you will be able to join them together and the scriptures will form pictures  or revelation to you and it becomes profitable to you.

I am a bit wary of testimonials on Nairaland because I know how the nigerian mind works.  Besides after reading the testimonials of such as Joagbaje I think that has shattered any form of credulity that I might have had. 

However I do agree with the conclusion that it is what the spirit interpretes that is the meaning of the passage.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 1:01pm On Mar 01, 2012
Enigma:

Just so as the kabbalah Adam Kadmon stuff (from Wikipedia) is not left unchallenged, a short extract from a very recent piece:

http://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/j23_3/j23_3_70-75.pdf

Similarly, far too much is being made of the absence of the word "them" with unsubstantiated accusations and allegations. Everyone knows that many English conjunctive/disjunctive etc words have to be and are added to make sense of some sentences/passages. Ask anyone who speaks Arabic for example, especially of the Egyptian everyday variety and see if it can be translated sensibly into English without adding far far far more than words like "them" etc.

cool

I do not see what was written in that link as any sort of challenge against the notion that Paul was influenced by rabbinical sources. It just makes a statement:

Possible Rabbinic influences face the same problem; a superficial reading seems to support the conclusion that Paul was influenced by them, but analysis invariably exposes such links as forced.

This happens too often in the writings of christians apologists. I think the motivation is that if you say something authoritatively enough then it will go unchallenged. Since everybody has been reading the matter 'superficially' what the writer needs to do is go deeper into the matter and demonstrate for us the analysis that exposes the links as forced.
Or at the very least point us to a link where it is done. It is not enough to just say the connections are forced and our readings are superficial, show us how and where we are being superficial and where we are forcing links. All that dismissive rhetoric without back up was exhausted a long time ago by Davidylan.

And while we thinking about this matter of the extent of Rabbinical influence on Paul let us not forget Paul's very own claims:

acts 23:
6But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

acts 26:
5Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion[b] I lived a Pharisee[/b].

acts 22:
3I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

Gamaliel was the leader of the Pharisees.

So the question I want to ask is this. Since we know that Paul was trained by pharisees as a pharisees and considered himself one according to Jewish culture then why is it so shocking for us that his theology matches pharisees theology so closely? Why is it so shocking for us that his methods of interpreting scripture match those of the Pharisees?

Okay, imagine that his doctrine of the 2 adams had nothing to do with Pharisee sources. As someone who studied as a pharisee, at the very least he would have been very aware that what he was teaching sounded like pharisee doctrine and could easily be misconstrued for such. If he didn't want that I'm quite sure he could easily have thrown in a disclaimer. "Hey guys, I know this sounds like pharisee doctrine but actually I arrived at it independently. I had forgotten all I learnt in school and then this revelation came to me".

Furthermore, we must not forget that Jesus was himself a Rabbi and taught in the synagogues. And indeed a lot of what Jesus taught mirrored pharisee doctrines too.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 1:06pm On Mar 01, 2012
Ah, just as I expected about that article.  smiley

OK, here is another similarly more recent piece which is more rigorous and which actually addreses the Hultgren article of which extracts are relied upon in post 35.

http://files.wts.edu/uploads/images/files/71.2.Gladd.The%20Last%20Adam%20as%20the%20Life%20Giving%20Spirit.pdf

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
Enigma:

cool

I get the point.  However, why the word 'them' and not 'him' or 'her'?  'Them' is already pushing the reader in the direction of a plurality of persons.  The passage goes uncomfortably from singular to plural and back again.  

26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he[b] them[/b]

So when this Adam was created was he a single being or was it a plurality men.  First God creates HIM, and then He creates THEM.  

My point is that saying 'them' is extremely suggestive in a way that the original text is not.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 1:13pm On Mar 01, 2012
"Them" because of what is considered the best reading from the context. smiley

Ergo, God knows how many Bible versions/translations, including even Jewish ones ------ with different groupings of scholars (some even theological opponents) ---- accept that reading.

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 1:19pm On Mar 01, 2012
Mafious:

I don't know what rabbinical exegesis is but I'm sure it but I can assure you it is a senseless word if you don't believe me
look up the meaning of both words and you would see they do not belong together.

It appears Pastor AIO is a theologian; simply defined it is making the simple and pure word of God that can be easily
understood by even the unlearned complicated.

Jesus said the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat "true" that the pharisees are the one with Authority to interpret
the scriptures is a lie from the pit of hell sold to us by theologians. No where would you find Moses interpreting
a single scripture to anybody rather he sat in judgment resolving disputes and providing General Foresight to the nation
of Israel the pharisees where basically Lawyer (learned in the law of God just as lawyer today are learned in civil litigation)

Lack of personal discipline is the reason Bible Colleges thrive Joshua 1:8 says this book of the law shall not depart out of
thy mouth not out of theological class.

When Paul says "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn" he was quoting an old testament scripture which
forbade farmers from muzzling the threshing Ox so that the would not starve because

1 Oxen need a lot of food and it they were let to roam free they could very well fend for them self so if you denied them the
right to find their own food be prepared to feed them.

2 The risk of underfeeding them is genuine so not muzzling them is guarantee that they would not starve God is not an abuser of
his creations.

If you read the Acts of the Apostles and all the epistles of Paul you not find a single place where he takes from the Church
coffers even though he founded every single one of them, the Church council and decides what he gets and some members of his
congregation give him a prophets offering.

Even though the Ox is not muzzled their is a limit to how much it can eat cause their is still a yoke around it neck that makes
it uncomfortable if it bends to eat too often.

When petrol became scarce in the 80's everybody opened a Filling station, when recharge card business was booming everyone
sold recharge cards, it has become apparent that the Gospel is a money spinner so don't be surprised when you see hundreds of
Churches springing up. If Pastor's did what Paul did and let the Church council determine a fixed income most people would
not be called of God as many say they are, believe me if you want to be called of God everything that happens to you would point to God
calling you whether he does or not.

I'll overlook this guys obtuseness for the simple reason that reading the above gave me a few giggles.  I value humour highly.  

My guy, Rabbinical is an adjective meaning that something is from the Rabbis.  

Exegesis is how scripture is interpreted.

Therefore Rabbinical Exegesis is how  Scripture is interpreted by Rabbis.  

If you have any gripe with the interpretation of the passage in exodus and about whether or not God care for the treatment of Oxen then please take it up with St. Paul.  He was the one who said:

9For it is written in the Law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain.” Is it for oxen that God is concerned? 10Does he not speak entirely for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop.

According to Paul that passage is not about Oxen at all but rather it is 'entirely' about us.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 1:20pm On Mar 01, 2012
Enigma:

"Them" because of what is considered the best reading from the context. smiley

Ergo, God knows how many Bible versions/translations, including even Jewish ones ------ with different groupings of scholars (some even theological opponents) ---- accept that reading.

cool

And I cannot argue against that. However I think it is good for people to know that there are alternative readings.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 1:26pm On Mar 01, 2012
Fair enough; there are alternative readings no doubt. smiley

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by dj5naira(m): 6:56pm On Mar 01, 2012
Bacis? Interpetation? Mr chinedumo, what is happen to your engrish?
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by amor4ce(m): 12:58am On Mar 03, 2012
We should humble ourselves and ask for help from God.

Ask for knowledge, wisdom and understanding, and apply patience.

The Messiah constantly referred to the Scriptures - Law, Psalms, Prophets - and the Bereans did likewise; this is very important.

I use God-given Yoruba traditions to get elucidations on messages that appear coded.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 4:30am On Mar 07, 2012
Enigma:

Ah, just as I expected about that article.  smiley

OK, here is another similarly more recent piece which is more rigorous and which actually addreses the Hultgren article of which extracts are relied upon in post 35.

http://files.wts.edu/uploads/images/files/71.2.Gladd.The%20Last%20Adam%20as%20the%20Life%20Giving%20Spirit.pdf

cool

I have just read the link you offered above. I cannot see anything there that refutes my suggestion that Paul was passing on rabbinical teachings.

What I would have expected was an article that said:

1)this is what Paul says

2) This is what the Rabbis teach

3)What Paul says and what the Rabbis teach do not agree on such and such a point.

The link you gave me does not even address the rabbinical position on the issue of 2 adams.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 7:33am On Mar 07, 2012
^^^ If you say so. smiley I have read it too and I see different. Even the argument of Hultgren, the article of whose extracts you relied upon, was addressed.

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 2:43pm On Mar 07, 2012
Unresolved questions.

How many Adams have there been?

1. The "primordial Adam" or Kabbalah "Adam Kadmon"?
2. The second Adam - who was later divided into Adam and Eve?
3. The last Adam of Paul?

Was Paul's last Adam the same as kabbalah "Adam Kadmon"?

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 2:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
Enigma:

Unresolved questions.

Was Paul's last Adam the same as kabbalah "Adam Kadmon"?

cool

Yes, Paul's last Adam, in my humble understanding, is the primordial Adam.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 2:55pm On Mar 07, 2012
So Jesus was created, then? Jesus is a created being?
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 2:57pm On Mar 07, 2012
First, you have not shown us from anywhere, not even from the Hultgren article, that Paul believed in the myth about Adam Kadmon! You have simply asserted but shown us nothing to support the idea that Paul believed in the Adam Kadmon myth.

Further, an argument that Paul believed in the Adam Kadmon myth and speculation and other, arguably, minority Jewish mythology and/or was teaching them in his 'first and last Adam' theology is a misunderstanding of the literature and scholarship and, not to say the least, of Paul! It is one thing to say Paul was aware of Jewish/rabbinical tradition & mythology and another to say Paul accepted and taught such tradition & mythology as part of Christianity (Jews and even the vaunted rabbinical tradition  even consider Paul a heretic for seeing the last Adam as Christ or Messiah!)

The argument in the literature is that being aware of the Jewish/rabbinical traditions and that his audience was similarly aware, Paul took advantage of imageries from such tradition to paint a picture and make an imagery of his own for the purposes of his own different theology.

Here is one simplistic example from http://ejmmm2007..com/2007/01/adam-kadmon-i-spiritual-man-primordial.html

What is most striking to me is Paul’s insistence on the “order” of being. Paul pointedly states the “spiritual Adam” was not first. I take that to mean that Paul is making sure his readers understand that what he is teaching is markedly different from what they might assume. And that indicates to me that Paul is both aware of and modifying for his own theologic purpose an already well-known doctrine of a “spiritual Adam” that people believed preceded the earthly Adam. Since Jesus came millenia after human creation, Paul finds it necessary for the spiritual Adam be the culmination of humanity, rather then its origin. So in response to the question, all in all, I would think that this idea of being incorporated into the "body of Christ" is likely a specifically Christian re-retooling of the Jewish esoteric doctrine.

Here is a further example from another article which actually highlights a range of Jewish mythological speculations or "rabbinical tradition": http://www.satsonline.org/userfiles/Asumang,PutontheLordJesusChrist.pdf

It is important to point out again that these examples in ancient Jewish beliefs only serve to illustrate not that Paul borrowed from these speculations, but that he sometimes presented his teaching either to refute or to demonstrate a far superior teaching about the glorious inheritance of the saints in Christ. Our knowledge of these speculations, I suggest, enhances our understanding of the background of Paul’s teaching.

For now, let me pose the following questions:

A. First and Last Adam

1. Who is the first Adam according to Paul? What was the nature of this first Adam according to Paul? Was he androgynous according to Paul? Was he Adam Kadmon, according to Paul?

2. Who is the second Adam according to Paul? What was the nature of this second Adam according to Paul? Was he androgynous according to Paul? Was he Adam Kadmon, according to Paul?

3. Who is the last Adam according to Paul? What was the nature of this last Adam according to Paul? Was he Androgynous according to Paul? Was he Adam Kadmon, according to Paul?

4. Does Hultgren suggest that Paul believed and/or taught or even base his theology on the Adam Kadmon myth?

B. The Adam Kadmon myth in Judaism

5. How much of Judaism believes in the Adam Kadmon myth today?.

6. How much of Judaism has ever believed in the Adam Kadmon myth?

7. How much of Judaism has always believed in the Adam Kadmon myth?
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 2:58pm On Mar 07, 2012
Enigma:

^^^ If you say so. smiley I have read it too and I see different. Even the argument of Hultgren, the article of whose extracts you relied upon, was addressed.

cool

I did not rely upon Hultgren.  I quoted him cos I when I was looking for material to buttress my argument I just googled '2 adams, pharisees, paul' and some other key words and then I posted the links that came up.

The following is perhaps a closer link to what I'm trying to argue.

ADAM ḲADMON (more correctly, ḲADMONIThe oldest rabbinical source for the term "Adam ha-Ḳadmoni" is Num. R. x., where Adam is styled, not as usually, "Ha-Rishon" (the first), but "Ha-Ḳadmoni" (the original). Compare the very ancient expression "naḥash ha-ḳadmoni" (the original serpent, the devil).—Adam, Hebrew for "man"; Ḳadmon or Ḳadmoni, "first" or "original"wink:

This doctrine concerning the Logos, as also that of man made "in the likeness" ("De Confusione Linguarum," xxviii.), though tinged with true Philonic coloring, is also based on the theology of the Pharisees. For in an old Midrash (Gen. R. viii. 1) it is remarked: "'Thou hast formed me behind and before' (Ps. cxxxix. 5) is to be explained 'before the first and after the last day of Creation.' For it is said, 'And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters,' meaning the spirit of the Messiah ["the spirit of Adam" in the parallel passage, Midr. Teh. to cxxxix. 5; both readings are essentially the same], of whom it is said (Isa. xi. 2), 'And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him.'" This contains the kernel of Philo's philosophical doctrine of the creation of the original man. He calls him the idea of the earthly Adam, while with the rabbis the  (spirit of Adam) not only existed before the creation of the earthly Adam, but was preexistent to the whole of creation. From the preexisting Adam, or Messiah, to the Logos is merely a step.

The above-quoted Midrash is even of greater importance for the understanding of the Pauline Christology, as affording the key to Paul's doctrine of the first and second Adam. The main passage in Pauline Christology is I Cor. xv. 45-50. According to this there is a double form of man's existence; for God created a heavenly Adam in the spiritual world and an earthly one of clay for the material world. The earthly Adam came first into view, although created last. The first Adam was of flesh and blood and therefore subject to death—merely "a living soul"; the second Adam was "a life-giving spirit"—a spirit whose body, like the heavenly beings in general, was only of a spiritual nature. The apparently insuperable difficulty of the Pauline Christology which confronts the expounders of the New Testament (see, for instance, Holtzmann, "Lehrbuch der Neu-Testamentlichen Theologie," ii. 75 et seq.) disappears entirely when reference is made to the Midrash. As a pupil ofGamaliel, Paul simply operates with conceptions familiar to the Palestinian theologians. Messiah, as the Midrash remarks, is, on the one hand, the first Adam, the original man who existed before Creation, his spirit being already present. On the other hand, he is also the second Adam in so far as his bodily appearance followed the Creation, and inasmuch as, according to the flesh, he is of the posterity of Adam. Paul, therefore, is not dependent upon Philo for his Christology, as most scholars hold; indeed, he differs from him on most essential points. With Philo the original man is an idea; with Paul he is the personality of Jesus. With Philo the first man is the original man; Paul identifies the original man with the second Adam.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/761-adam-kadmon
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 3:03pm On Mar 07, 2012
Nevertheless, the questions I posed in my last post remain. smiley

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2012
Pastor AIO:

I do not see what was written in that link as any sort of challenge against the notion that Paul was influenced by rabbinical sources.  It just makes a statement:

This happens too often in the writings of christians apologists.  I think the motivation is that if you say something authoritatively enough then it will go unchallenged.  Since everybody has been reading the matter 'superficially' what the writer needs to do is go deeper into the matter and demonstrate for us the analysis that exposes the links as forced. 
Or at the very least point us to a link where it is done.  It is not enough to just say the connections are forced and our readings are superficial, show us how and where we are being superficial and where we are forcing links.
All that dismissive rhetoric without back up was exhausted a long time ago by Davidylan. 

I had deliberately let the red bolded go previously but it is a point to be addressed. When we (e.g. myself or Davidylan) or even the so-called "christian apologists" are dismissive of allegations against the Bible and its writers based on myths and fanciful scholarship, it is precisely because knowledge/understanding of the Bible and experience of scholarship has shown and continues to make it fairly easy to identify such myths and fanciful scholarship. That one stops at the dismissive comments sometimes without going into further detail or attempt to debunk the claims is simply because of the boredom and ennui involved in the process.

Take e.g. the Adam Kadmon thing, of course the articles I referred to knocked it on the head without necessarily stretching that issue as they had more important points to address. The Gladd article actually contains plenty of information that puts paid to the idea but even if all one sees is this one line from footnote 5, it should be enough to show the stance of the article:
As Albert Schweitzer so aptly puts it, ‘‘The Second Adam is, in Paul, an eschatological not a mythical conception’’

Beyond that if we consider the importance of the claim about the introduction of the word "them" to the case about the androgynous Adam and Adam Kadmon, the Gladd article knocks out the basis of the whole argument presented on this thread again in an aside even while making other important points. The theory presented to us here started and was hanged on the case that 'male and female created He them' is a wrong translation with unproven allegation of twisting etc concerning the word "them".

Now this was used as the foundation of the whole argument that the first Adam was androgynous etc. However, the article shows that the word 'Adam' is used to denote either a specific person Adam or to denote 'mankind', which thus explains the legitimate use of 'them' and is according to context as I had pointed out earlier. In that alone the article wholly undermines any suggestion that Paul's argument believed that Adam was androgynous.

Here is footnote 11 from that article:
It is common to view ‘‘man’’ in 1:26-28 and 2:7 as distinct from 5:3. Cf. Richard S. Hess, ‘‘Splitting the Adam: The Usage of Genesis I–V,’’ in Studies in the Pentateuch (ed. J. A. Emerton;VTSup 41; Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1990), 1-15. Typically, when  dℵappears without the article, it is translated ‘‘Adam.’’ But if the noun is articular (,dℵh), then the general noun ‘‘mankind’’ is normally used. Perhaps the root cause of this confusion is the so-called ‘‘J’’ and ‘‘P’’ traditions. Sections 1:1–2:4a and 5:1-28 are the ‘‘P’’ document and 2:4b–4:26 is ‘‘J.’’ The two documents purportedly reflect two creation accounts. But in 5:1 the P tradition uses the proper name ‘‘Adam,’’ whereas in 1:26-27 the generic ‘‘mankind’’ is used (see Victor Hamilton, The Book of Genesis: Chapters 1–17 [NICOT; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990], 160, for a discussion of this higher-critical problem). Though in 2:7 ‘‘man’’ occurs, in the remainder of the narrative in 2–3 (esp. 3:17-21) ‘‘Adam’’ and ‘‘Eve’’ are certainly names. Therefore, though ‘‘man’’ (,dℵ) occurs in 1:26-28 and 2:7, in the light of 5:1 and 3:17-21, it is appropriate for us to view these accounts as the creation of Adam and Eve.

We may finish with another question: where in and in how much of Christianity has there been this belief or even acceptance of the Adam Kadmon myth?

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2012
Enigma:

cool

As I said before, I don't know much about Hultgren but if you could kindly copy and paste the part that talks about rabbis and their traditions and how it has nothing to do with Paul's christology then I would very much appreciate it.  I have skimmed through the link again and found nothing close.

As for the rest of your issues and the questions you posed I think they will be best answered after a couple of considerations. 

First, What does Adam Kadmon mean?  Kadmon simply means the original.  Adam Kadmon means the Original Man. 

Second, What is Kabalah?  This refers to the oral tradition in Judaism.  qabalah comes from the Hebrew 'to receive'.  It started to be written down around the 11th century CE.  So today we have Kabalah texts but originally the transmission was oral. 
There is also Lurianic Kabalah which came centuries later.  And now we have a new trendy Kabalah endorsed by the likes of Madonna. 

Okay, one more consideration.  Rabbinic teachings were also transmitted orally and only started to get written down after the temple got destroyed, much like the gospels. 

Originally, Jewish scholarship was oral. Rabbis expounded and debated the law (the written law expressed in the Hebrew Bible) and discussed the Tanakh without the benefit of written works (other than the Biblical books themselves), though some may have made private notes (megillot setarim), for example of court decisions. This situation changed drastically, however, mainly as the result of the destruction of the Jewish commonwealth and the Second Temple in the year 70 CE and the consequent upheaval of Jewish social and legal norms. As the Rabbis were required to face a new reality—mainly Judaism without a Temple (to serve as the center of teaching and study) and Judea without at least partial autonomy—there was a flurry of legal discourse and the old system of oral scholarship could not be maintained. It is during this period that Rabbinic discourse began to be recorded in writing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

Enigma:

First, you have not shown us from anywhere, not even from the Hultgren article, that Paul believed in the myth about Adam Kadmon! You have simply asserted but shown us nothing to support the idea that Paul believed in the Adam Kadmon myth.

Okay, let me raise my hand in confession.  I am incapable of reading Paul's mind, even if he were here today, not to mention the fact that the dude died 2000 years ago.  Of course all I'm capable of doing is suggesting what is LIKELY to be the case.  This is the situation with each and every thought or reasoning process.  Now you are being dishonest when you say that I 'asserted but showed nothing'.  That is so below the belt.

-I brought up the fact that Paul claimed to be trained as a Pharisee.  He made this claim himself, I didn't put the words in his mouth. 

-The doctrine of the primordial Adam was a pharisee doctrine that can be found in the Midrash.  I even quoted the Midrash.

-Even if Paul was not deriving his christology from the pharisees, at least he would have been aware, if he had indeed studied with them, that what he was saying was remarkably similar.  However with all things considered I would say that is is MOST LIKELY that Paul's christology was a derivation, like a considerable amount of christianity is, from the doctrines of the Pharisees. 

I remember asking on NL, even opening a thread expressly for the purpose, what people understood by Pharisee and what they believed in.  I asked this question because it seemed to me that people thought Pharisee was just another word for hypocrite.  They seem so unaware that they have their doctrines and their ways of doing things and that while there were hypocritical pharisees there were also devout and sincere pharisees.  I even went so far as to suggest that Jesus would have been a pharisee himself.  Anyway, the thread didn't go anywhere. 

Further, an argument that Paul believed in the Adam Kadmon myth and speculation and other, arguably, minority Jewish mythology and/or was teaching them in his 'first and last Adam' theology is a misunderstanding of the literature and scholarship and, not to say the least, of Paul! It is one thing to say Paul was aware of Jewish/rabbinical tradition & mythology and another to say Paul accepted and taught such tradition & mythology as part of Christianity (Jews and even the vaunted rabbinical tradition  even consider Paul a heretic for seeing the last Adam as Christ or Messiah!)

Before I get hasty and shout that you're talking utter rubbish here, let me consider the fact that you've always demonstrated yourself to be a level headed guy and can back up most of what you say. 

What do you mean by 'minority jewish mythology'?  What is a minority jewish mythology vis a vis a majority jewish mythology? 

Please consider that what you said in the brackets that I bolded is a totally fabrication.  Where did a jewish authority consider Paul a heretic for seeing the last Adam as Christ or messiah? 

'Thou hast formed me behind and before' (Psalms  139:5) is to be explained 'before the first and after the last day of Creation.' For it is said, 'And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters,' meaning the spirit of the Messiah ["the spirit of Adam" in the parallel passage, Midr. Teh. to cxxxix. 5; both readings are essentially the same], of whom it is said (Isaiah  11:2), 'And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him.'
This is from the Genesis Rabbah.

Paul said a considerable amount that would have had Jewish authorities (and some early christian authorities as we can see in Acts and a lot of Paul's more polemical letters) denouncing him as an heretic, but none of it was for articulating a doctrine of 2 adams and making one of them the messiah.

The argument in the literature is that being aware of the Jewish/rabbinical traditions and that his audience was similarly aware, Paul took advantage of imageries from such tradition to paint a picture and make an imagery of his own for the purposes of his own different theology.

But my guy, don't you find that argument lame?  C'mon.  Paul was using the imagery of Jewish rabbinical traditions to make a DIFFERENT point?  Really?  Using it to create his own theology?  Really?  So what was this different theology that Paul was inventing?  Consider what the guy you're quoting is saying:

What is most striking to me is Paul’s insistence on the “order” of being. Paul pointedly states the “spiritual Adam” was not first. I take that to mean that Paul is making sure his readers understand that what he is teaching is markedly different from what they might assume. And that indicates to me that [size=16pt]Paul is both aware of and modifying for his own theologic purpose an already well-known doctrine of a “spiritual Adam” [/size]that people believed preceded the earthly Adam. Since Jesus came millenia after human creation, Paul finds it necessary for the spiritual Adam be the culmination of humanity, rather then its origin. So in response to the question, all in all, I would think that this idea of being incorporated into the "body of Christ" is likely a specifically Christian re-retooling of the Jewish esoteric doctrine.

Can you not see how stupidd what this guy is saying is from a christian theological stand point.  At least he has the honesty to admit that it is his own interpretation when he says, " I take that to mean that Paul  . . . ". 

You sef, as a christian, think about this.  How can the carnal Adam preceded Christ, the spiritual adam in existence?  Is that a christian understanding?  Is it not more LIKELY that Paul is talking about the MANIFESTATION on earth of the 2 adams when he says that Christ came second?  Carnal Adam cannot precede Spiritual Adam in existence. 

Now to answer your questions one by one:

A. First and Last Adam

1. Who is the first Adam according to Paul? What was the nature of this first Adam according to Paul? Was he androgynous according to Paul? Was he Adam Kadmon, according to Paul?

According to Paul the first Adam was a Carnal man, he was by nature a 'living soul'.  Paul makes no mention of his gender status.  Paul does not use the word Kadmon (original/primal) in his letter but from his description the first adam does not correspond to Adam Kadmon. 

In this whole discourse there have only been 2 adams unless you are trying to confuse issues.

2. Who is the second Adam according to Paul? What was the nature of this second Adam according to Paul? Was he androgynous according to Paul? Was he Adam Kadmon, according to Paul?

The second Adam was a spiritual being.  His nature was that of a 'life giving' spirit.  Paul makes no mention of his gender status.  Paul does not use the word Kadmon, but in description he corresponds with the Primal Adam (adam Kadmoni) of the Rabbis.

3. Who is the last Adam according to Paul? What was the nature of this last Adam according to Paul? Was he Androgynous according to Paul? Was he Adam Kadmon, according to Paul?

Where there are only 2, the second is the last so I believe that I've already answered this part.

B. The Adam Kadmon myth in Judaism

5. How much of Judaism believes in the Adam Kadmon myth today?.

6. How much of Judaism has ever believed in the Adam Kadmon myth?

7. How much of Judaism has always believed in the Adam Kadmon myth?

I wonder why you keep reiterating the word 'myth'.  Are you subtly trying to denigrate the idea of adam Kadmon? 

You are trying to be clever.  We all know that throughout it's history judaism has been a rich hotch potch of ideas.  A big example of conflicting ideas in Judaism found in the bible would be the Resurrection of the Dead.  The Pharisees believed in it.  The Sadducees didn't.  The Sadducees include the priests and the aristocracy of Israel.  If the priesthood of a religion do not believe in a concept then can we say that it is representative of the religion. 
However the Pharisees believed in resurrection and the pharisees were the common people.  So who better represents the jews, their aristocracy or the common man. 

Better still. 
How much of christianity believes in infant baptism?  Today and in the past. 

How much of christianity believes in baptism on behalf of the already dead?  Today and in the past. 

Are we now so pathetic that we are resorting to appeals to populism?  If many people believe it then it most be right. 

The doctrine of the 2 adams is a doctrine found in Judaism, in a certain section of judaism, namely amongst the pharisees who were the Rabbis and taught the common people from institutions called synagogues.  After the destruction of the temple in 70AD Rabbinical Judaism became the main form of judaism and the Oral traditions of the Rabbis slowly became written down in the Talmud and the Midrashes. 
Does this deal with your questions?
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 1:41pm On Mar 10, 2012
I will still come back and address Enigma's last post, but I want to say that we should not forget the subject of this thread which is the issue of how to interpret scripture. I think after dealing with this issue we should come back to that.
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 2:00pm On Mar 10, 2012
Well, I will keep this brief.

1. Where in Genesis does it suggest that the Adam referred to in that book was a "spiritual Adam"?

2. Assuming it is a "spiritual Adam" and it is Jesus as we are being told, that means Jesus is a created being; Jesus was created; and Genesis 1 is telling us how Jesus was created -- in which case WHEN?

3. To show the incongruity and nonsense of this, then who was having the conversation "Let us make man in our image" in verse 26, which precedes the creation of "Jesus" in verse 27, with God the Father?

4. If Paul was not seen by Jews as a heretic, point to one Jew i.e. believer/practitioner of Judaism who sees Jesus as the Messiah! 

And the information about kabbalah is not wholly right either but I'm not going to bother myself with that. If people have noticed, I don't generally bother myself with other people's faiths and beliefs be it Islam, Grail, Kabbalah (even atheism until the special case that arose with that one). In so far as people of these faiths do not pass it off as Christianity, I generally mind my own business.

smiley
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 2:51pm On Mar 10, 2012
Enigma:

Well, I will keep this brief.

1. Where in Genesis does it suggest that the Adam referred to in that book was a "spiritual Adam"?

2. Assuming it is a "spiritual Adam" and it is Jesus as we are being told, that means Jesus is a created being; Jesus was created; and Genesis 1 is telling us how Jesus was created -- in which case WHEN?

3. To show the incongruity and nonsense of this, then who was having the conversation "Let us make man in our image" in verse 26, which precedes the creation of "Jesus" in verse 27, with God the Father?

4. If Paul was not seen by Jews as a heretic, point to one Jew i.e. believer/practitioner of Judaism who sees Jesus as the Messiah! 

And the information about kabbalah is not wholly right either but I'm not going to bother myself with that. If people have noticed, I don't generally bother myself with other people's faiths and beliefs be it Islam, Grail, Kabbalah (even atheism until the special case that arose with that one). In so far as people of these faiths do not pass it off as Christianity, I generally mind my own business.

smiley

Thank you, especially for the first question, because it brings us straight back to the original points I was trying to make when this thread started.

Remember that the OP said that we should not jump on a single line and interpret it out of it's context. 

I responded that in fact the Rabbis do this a lot and so does Paul.  I gave the example of the Unmuzzled Ox.  You agreed that a text or proverb can be applied to different situations outside of it's original context. 

I also pointed out that this tendency of the Rabbis to interpret scripture like this is called Pardes.  Jesus said that we should listen to what they tell us, even if we shouldn't do what they do, because they have the authority of Moses.  The sit in moses' seat. 

Let me try and answer the questions you posed here, but you too, please try and answer some of the questions that I've asked you too ehn.  Please.

It doesn't. Not explicitly anyway.  If you're going to limit yourself to Peshat then you won't find any reference to a spiritual adam. 

Let us say instead of 'created' he was 'begotten'.  Answer these questions yourself. How was Jesus Begotten? (I believe many Muslims have asked this question on NL and no one has answered them).  and WHEN was he begotten?

Your reasoning is totally limited in Peshat.  that is why you will see incongruity and nonsense. 

Dude you're not being disciplined in your reasoning.  Stay on course.  Paul was not considered a heretic on account of having a doctrine of 2 Adams.  Not even for considering Jesus to be the messiah.  It wasn't only Jesus there were also other candidates for messiah and there were jews who believed in some of them and Jews who didn't. 
Paul ran into trouble when he tried to abrogate the mosaic law. especially the parts regarding circumcision and diet.  All the original christians were Jews and they all saw Jesus as messiah.  There are even Jews today that see Jesus as messiah, but NONE of this has anything to do with what we are discussing.  PLEASE STAY ON COURSE.

The reason Paul was considered a heretic has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.  We are discussing interpreting scriptures. 

Please try answer some of my own questions na.[quote][/quote]
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by Enigma(m): 3:58pm On Mar 10, 2012
smiley

I see the argument is now running away from saying Jesus was created! Not only that, but also that He was created in Genesis 1! Why am I not surprised?  smiley

So who were the people created before Jesus that God was talking to "Let us make man" before proceeding to create Jesus?

And it is an untruth to say Christians have not addressed the issue of Jesus being begotten. I have seen a number of posters do it (and who cares what the Moslems, Eckists, Kabbalah people etc are asking anyway?). In any event, even I addressed the question of Jesus being begotten in a number of posts on this thread:  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-497445.0.html

So when was Jesus created and who are those "created" or existing before He was created.

cool
Re: 10 Basis For Scripture Interpretation by PastorAIO: 6:50pm On Mar 10, 2012
Enigma:

smiley

I see the argument is now running away from saying Jesus was created! Not only that, but also that He was created in Genesis 1! Why am I not surprised?  smiley

So who were the people created before Jesus that God was talking to "Let us make man" before proceeding to create Jesus?

And it is an untruth to say Christians have not addressed the issue of Jesus being begotten. I have seen a number of posters do it (and who cares what the Moslems, Eckists, Kabbalah people etc are asking anyway?). In any event, even I addressed the question of Jesus being begotten in a number of posts on this thread:  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-497445.0.html

So when was Jesus created and who are those "created" or existing before He was created.

cool

I see why you group yourself with Davidylan now.

I looked at the thread you referred me to. please you'll have to show me the actual post where the issue of how and when Jesus was begotten was addressed.

And if you can, could you kindly answer some of the other questions I asked too. I've tried to answer your questions as best as I can. I cannot help it if you are determined to misconstrue and twist everything. I showed you a link where they talk about the 2 adams in the Midrash. Please look at it again, I'll copy and paste it for you so that you don't have to work too hard.

Midrash.
This doctrine concerning the Logos, as also that of man made "in the likeness" ("De Confusione Linguarum," xxviii.), though tinged with true Philonic coloring, is also based on the theology of the Pharisees. For in an old Midrash (Gen. R. viii. 1) it is remarked: "'Thou hast formed me behind and before' (Ps. cxxxix. 5) is to be explained 'before the first and after the last day of Creation.' For it is said, 'And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters,' meaning the spirit of the Messiah ["the spirit of Adam" in the parallel passage, Midr. Teh. to cxxxix. 5; both readings are essentially the same], of whom it is said (Isa. xi. 2), 'And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him.'" This contains the kernel of Philo's philosophical doctrine of the creation of the original man. He calls him the idea of the earthly Adam, [size=16pt]while with the rabbis the (spirit of Adam) not only existed before the creation of the earthly Adam, but was preexistent to the whole of creation. From the preexisting Adam, or Messiah, to the Logos is merely a step.[/size]

Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere and it is not that you are reading stuff into what I wrote that isn't there. Could you please show me where I said that Jesus was created in the first chapter of Genesis. Thank you very much in advance.

I didn't realise how loaded this question was until now. I presumed you accept Paul as an authority, so when Paul says the 2nd Adam is a life giving spirit I didn't think that I would have to argue any further. But I see you have not accepted that yet and you are merely 'assuming it is a "spiritual adam" . . . and that means Jesus is a created being;'

Why do I get the feeling that this is not an healthy discussion but that you are trying by any means to get the better of me?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Will Be An Atheist For Some Hours/Days / 6 Big Reasons Why Islam Is False / Since I've Joined Nairaland,what I've Learned About Atheism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.