Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U (1637 Views)

Alleged Tax Evasion: Fashola Uninformed, Vindictive – Lagos PDP / Apc Is Mischievous And Totally Uninformed!-blasts Reuben Abati. / Nigerian Youths Corrupt,Uninformed, Unenlightened, Semi-literate,Clueless- Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by kainos76(m): 10:26pm On Oct 24, 2007
Comments Regarding Article
19/09/2007 11:07
I am shocked Oprah made these remarks. I would be very insulted if I was Nigerian. It's just the same as some people say all blacks are criminals and all whites are racists! There is no place in a society for people who harbour these views! - Mr Reddy

Good on Oprah
19/09/2007 11:15
Well said Oprah. Corruption in Nigeria is crippling the country and Nigeria's leaders are not doing enough to stop it. Some extra presure won't hurt. - Attie

Most of them are criminals
19/09/2007 11:27
I have seen a few good Nigerians and most of those I've met are a total chaos. Met them in church and social gathering and they all speak the same language, drugs, and fraud, if you follow. - Andile

aww, c'mon!
19/09/2007 11:34
So when Oprah does a show on the Holocaust, do Germans all demand an apology? If she does a focus on blood diamonds, do all the Congolese jump up and down? People who watch Oprah must be superhuman, as that stuff is idiotic, lame, painful and frightening! - Tom

generalisation sucks but if the shoe fits,
19/09/2007 11:55
I guess we have a better understanding about the risks and wrongs of generalising and stereotyping because of our political history (South Africa), but the constant scamming attempts by SOME Nigerian citizens is a reality and we should not hide it. There is no wrong in calling a shark a shark, if it is a shark! Forget about Oprah and worry about why the west thinks you are a shark. - leon

Oprah Appologise?
19/09/2007 12:00
This african American can do anything I please, doesn't understand how much we do not actaully like her!! - Kevin

OH PLEASE!
Oh PLEASE!!!Cry me a friggin river.It's high time that all Nigerians woke up+realised that in this case it's not OPRAH supposedly 'dragging the country's reputation thru the mud', but in fact it's all the fraudsters in their own country! THEY, NOT Oprah, are the ones guilty of that. And that's not even taking into account their drug dealing shenanigans. So please, everyone was thinking it, Oprah just had the courage to say it. It's simple:Stop the fraud and restore your national reputation. - Ca55

Oprah and the Nigerians
19/09/2007 12:02
If the Nigerians feel they need an apology for being called fraudsters, the whole world needs an apology from them as 99% of all fraud, drugs and prostiution committed in other countries, are done by the Nigerians. So please, get real and hang your head in shame for being part of this nation of thiefs. - Frank

What?
Apologise for what? It's a well known fact that a large portion of criminal activities in SA and abroad is indeed run by Nigerians - Theana

THE TRUST HURTS
19/09/2007 12:03
The truth hurts. Just look at the Nigerians in South Africa. They are up to no good. Get rid of them - Anti Nigerian

419 Scam
19/09/2007 12:12
There is a very interesting history about this scam and although not all Nigerians are involved and not only Nigerians the majority originates from them today. Oprah does NOT have to apologize. It has to be exposed as many people have been left destitute and some even dead. See 419eater.com - QuintS

Let's face facts
19/09/2007 12:14
I don't understand why all the noise, the truth is these internet scams are rife and alarming and are mostly done by Nigerians. There aren't many Nigerians with day jobs, how do you think they leave? Some even say they can never work, they do a "business" as it gices them quick money. the "business" is obviously illegal and involves taking people's money. Oprah merely pointed out an issue that is of concern, rightfully so. Nigerians are generally corrupt and they know this - Zinhle

Nigeria
19/09/2007 12:26
So, if Nigeria is such a fun place to be, why are Shell and BP pulling out of the delta? Why are there so many Nigerian "entrepreneurs" in SA? It' s because they know a weak target if they see it. - ChrisS

Oprah's researcher used an unrepresenataive sample
19/09/2007 12:27
I an African and have met good and intelligent Nigerians. Most Nigerians like most Africans are intelligent and me, Oprah and Brian Ross cannot take that away from us. How on earth does holier than us people of America get duped by the Nigerians. I think Oprah's researcher (Brian Ross) fed her with wrong and unimpirical information and she belived him/her. Brian Ross' sample was not representative of the Nigerians and I think it should be discarded. What reserach method did you use MrRos? - JR

I dont see the difference
19/09/2007 12:44
Nigeria sounds just like South Africa or any other African country!!! Lets blame the white people. Its so much easier than accepting responsibility for our own actions. - deev

Andile you are a VERY DANGEROUS PERSON!
19/09/2007 12:52
How would you respond to "Most South Africans are violent". DON'T generalise have the basic intelligence to back up a statement with the modicum of fact. Eish!!!!!!!!!! - Alice Selman

The truth will set you free
19/09/2007 13:04
It's kinda true though, isn't it? - CSB

Nigerians
19/09/2007 13:06
are bad news. If you've stayed in central Jozi you can attest to this. They are the most corrupt and have a don't care attitude when it comes to ripping people off. They are the biggest pimps out there and unfortunately South african women love them. O yah, Oprah should not apologise for telling the truth. Aluta continua, - Fresh

Nigerians
19/09/2007 13:29
Oprah dragged before a queen That in itself is one of the most bizarre statements I have heard. The next must be for her to apologize to the Nigerians for calling them crooks?? have I missed something in the last decade? They are a bunch of crooks and the queen was probably the head of the Nigerian mafia. Get a life!!!! - morecats

Africa, wake up and get honest!!
19/09/2007 13:33
Nassir Abbas - Your last paragraph is true! Africa has a reputation for corruption, Nigeria in particular. It is unwritten policy in many companies not do any deals with Nigerians, and every contact I've had with Nigerians in business as an international agent for Africa has been proved to be a scam. The business ethics in Africa are generally poor! - Barry

I have received one of their
19/09/2007 13:39
I dont think Oprah would have generalised like that, anyway some Nigerians are crooks, get out of South Africa, and take your drugs and fraud with you. - Kubeshni

JR, you idiot
19/09/2007 13:48
If you think most africans are intelligent, you are the stupidest of all africans!Most africans use the little intelligence they have to think up scams, that is the only creativity most africans show. - Ice

Well said!
19/09/2007 13:50
Why must Oprah apologise? The truth hurts, doesn't it? MOST Nigerians are crooks in my eyes. If they're not committing fraud with their scams, then they are pushing their drugs all over the country. - Tracey

The truth hurts
19/09/2007 13:51
If the cap fits then wear it !! Ask the SAP what they think of people from Nigeria. I may start to watch Oprah after all !! - SPOT

Shocked!
19/09/2007 14:00
Am shocked that someone of Oprah's calibre could be so silly.I'm a 26yr-old African (born and bred in SA) and even I am not that ignorant to think that all Nigerians are crooks.I've met a lot of SA crooks -lazy tsotsis. Nigeria's population is large and if SA population was as big, then I know SA people would be criticised like Nigerians are. For every 1 bad Nigerian, there's million good ones. SA, wake up! - Presh

I HAVE BEEN TARGETED THREE TIMES
19/09/2007 14:02
Just like the Americans, SAs have also been receiving these communications from Nigeria. As SA banks won't deal with Nigeria ie won't accept funds unless it is from a big corporate with links to SA, then the argument is purely factual -Nigerians are crooks. Its as simple as that! My brother emigrated to the Uk and the only time he was targeted by fraudsters - you guessed it, was by Nigerians, but being from Africa he was too sharp for them and they were arrested!! Go home Nigerians! - jenny

Utterly noncense
19/09/2007 14:18
We all know nigerians are crooks,Fraudsters and drug pushers. a couple of my friends have been corned by nigerians i do not think Oprah should appologise. - Zinhle

Nigerians
19/09/2007 14:40
Well said Kubeshni! I have NEVER heard of a Nigerian doing something worth while or good in South Africa, it is always drugs , illegal guns , prostitution etc. We are trying to make our country a better place and you are just of our problem! Get out of our country, or is your country too rotten and banged up by yourselves that you need a new place to spread your crime and worthlessness? - MO

Lol
19/09/2007 14:52
"the queen was probably the head of the Nigerian mafia" That was funny. Most nigerians are crooks but not all of them. Just like most black people are criminals and most indians and whites are racists and coloured peopele low lifes. Should Oprah apologize? I don't think so. It's just facts. - KitttyKat

CROOKS
19/09/2007 14:54
IT CANT BE ALL OF THEM PLS OR 99% OF ALL DRUGS,PROSTITUTION,FRUAD IS DONE BY THEM. - alchemist

Culled from news24.co.za
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by SecondNjoy(f): 10:53pm On Oct 24, 2007
exactly - fok them and fok u.
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by almondjoy(f): 11:28pm On Oct 24, 2007
SAVING MY OWN COPY!!!!! cool

kainos76:

I am shocked Oprah made these remarks. I would be very insulted if I was Nigerian. It's just the same as some people say all blacks are criminals and all whites are racists! There is no place in a society for people who harbour these views! - Mr Reddy

Good on Oprah
Well said Oprah. Corruption in Nigeria is crippling the country and Nigeria's leaders are not doing enough to stop it. Some extra pressure won't hurt. - Attie

I have seen a few good Nigerians and most of those I've met are a total chaos. Met them in church and social gathering and they all speak the same language, drugs, and fraud, if you follow.

- Andile aww, c'mon!
So when Oprah does a show on the Holocaust, do Germans all demand an apology? If she does a focus on blood diamonds, do all the Congolese jump up and down? People who watch Oprah must be superhuman, as that stuff is idiotic, lame, painful and frightening! - Tom

I guess we have a better understanding about the risks and wrongs of generalising and stereotyping because of our political history (South Africa), but the constant scamming attempts by SOME Nigerian citizens is a reality and we should not hide it.

There is no wrong in calling a shark a shark, if it is a shark!

Forget about Oprah and worry about why the west thinks you are a shark. - leon

Oprah Apologise?
This Arican American can do anything I please, doesn't understand how much we do not actually like her!! -

Kevin OH PLEASE!
Oh PLEASE!!!Cry me a friggin river.It's high time that all Nigerians woke up+realised that in this case it's not OPRAH supposedly dragging the country's reputation through the mud, but in fact it's all the fraudsters in their own country!

THEY, NOT Oprah, are the ones guilty of that. And that's not even taking into account their drug dealing shenanigans. So please, everyone was thinking it, Oprah just had the courage to say it. It's simple:Stop the fraud and restore your national reputation. - Ca55

Oprah and the Nigerians
If the Nigerians feel they need an apology for being called fraudsters, the whole world needs an apology from them as 99% of all fraud, drugs and prostiution committed in other countries, are done by the Nigerians. So please, get real and hang your head in shame for being part of this nation of thieves. - Frank

What?
Apologise for what? It's a well known fact that a large portion of criminal activities in SA and abroad is indeed run by Nigerians - Theana

THE TRUST HURTS
The truth hurts. Just look at the Nigerians in South Africa. They are up to no good. Get rid of them -

Anti Nigerian 419 Scam
There is a very interesting history about this scam and although not all Nigerians are involved and not only Nigerians the majority originates from them today. Oprah does NOT have to apologize. It has to be exposed as many people have been left destitute and some even dead. See 419eater.com - QuintS

Let's face facts
I don't understand why all the noise, the truth is these internet scams are rife and alarming and are mostly done by Nigerians.

There aren't many Nigerians with day jobs, how do you think they leave? Some even say they can never work, they do a "business" as it gives them quick money. the "business" is obviously illegal and involves taking people's money. Oprah merely pointed out an issue that is of concern, rightfully so. Nigerians are generally corrupt and they know this - Zinhle

Nigeria
So, if Nigeria is such a fun place to be, why are Shell and BP pulling out of the delta?

Why are there so many Nigerian "entrepreneurs" in SA? Its s because they know a weak target if they see it. - ChrisS

Oprah's researcher used an unrepresentative sample
I an African and have met good and intelligent Nigerians. Most Nigerians like most Africans are intelligent and me, Oprah and Brian Ross cannot take that away from us. How on earth does holier than us people of America get duped by the Nigerians. I think Oprah's researcher (Brian Ross) fed her with wrong and unimpirical information and she believed him/her. Brian Ross' sample was not representative of the Nigerians and I think it should be discarded. What research method did you use MrRos? - JR

I don't see the difference
Nigeria sounds just like South Africa or any other African country!!! Lets blame the white people. Its so much easier than accepting responsibility for our own actions. - deev

How would you respond to "Most South Africans are violent". DON'T generalise have the basic intelligence to back up a statement with the modicum of fact. Eish!!!!!!!!!! - Alice Selman

It's kind of true though, isn't it? - CSB  

Nigerians
are bad news. If you've stayed in central Jozi you can attest to this. They are the most corrupt and have a don't care attitude when it comes to ripping people off.

They are the biggest pimps out there and unfortunately South aAfricanwomen love them.

O yah, Oprah should not apologise for telling the truth. Aluta continua, - Fresh

Nigerians
Oprah dragged before a queen That in itself is one of the most bizarre statements I have heard. The next must be for her to apologize to the Nigerians for calling them crooks?? have I missed something in the last decade? They are a bunch of crooks and the queen was probably the head of the Nigerian mafia. Get a life!!!! - morecats

Nassir Abbas - Your last paragraph is true! Africa has a reputation for corruption, Nigeria in particular.

It is unwritten policy in many companies not do any deals with Nigerians, and every contact I've had with Nigerians in business as an international agent for Africa has been proved to be a scam.

The business ethics in Africa are generally poor! - Barry

I don't think Oprah would have generalised like that, anyway some Nigerians are crooks,
get out of South Africa, and take your drugs and fraud with you.
- Kubeshni

JR, you idiot
If you think most Africans are intelligent, you are the stupidest of all Africans. Most Africans use the little intelligence they have to think up scams, that is the only creativity most Africans show. - Ice

Well said!
Why must Oprah apologise? The truth hurts, doesn't it?

MOST Nigerians are crooks in my eyes. If they're not committing fraud with their scams, then they are pushing their drugs all over the country. - Tracey

The truth hurts
If the cap fits then wear it !! Ask the SAP what they think of people from Nigeria. I may start to watch Oprah after all !! - SPOT

Shocked!
Am shocked that someone of Oprah's calibre could be so silly.I'm a 26yr-old African (born and bred in SA) and even I am not that ignorant to think that all Nigerians are crooks.I've met a lot of SA crooks -lazy tsotsis. Nigeria's population is large and if SA population was as big, then I know SA people would be criticised like Nigerians are. For every 1 bad Nigerian, there's million good ones. SA, wake up! - Presh

Just like the Americans, SAs have also been receiving these communications from Nigeria. As SA banks won't deal with Nigeria ie won't accept funds unless it is from a big corporate with links to SA, then the argument is purely factual -Nigerians are crooks. Its as simple as that! My brother emigrated to the Uk and the only time he was targeted by fraudsters - you guessed it, was by Nigerians, but being from Africa he was too sharp for them and they were arrested!! Go home Nigerians! - jenny

Utterly nnonsense/b]
[b]We all know Nigerians are crooks,Fraudsters and drug pushers. a couple of my friends have been corned by Nigerians. i do not think Oprah should apologise
- Zinhle

Nigerians
Well said Kubeshni! I[b] have NEVER heard of a Nigerian doing something worth while or good in South Africa, it is always drugs , illegal guns , prostitution etc.[/b]

We are trying to make our country a better place and you are just of our problem! Get out of our country, or is your country too rotten and banged up by yourselves that you need a new place to spread your crime and worthlessness? - MO

Lol
"the queen was probably the head of the Nigerian mafia" That was funny. Most Nigerians are crooks but not all of them. Just like most black people are criminals and most Indiansand whites are racists and coloured people low llives Should Oprah apologize? I don't think so. It's just facts. - KitttyKat

CROOKS
IT CANT BE ALL OF THEM PLS OR 99% OF ALL DRUGS,PROSTITUTION,FFRAUDIS DONE BY THEM. - alchemist

Culled from news24.co.za

Uninformed ko!  Uninformed ni!  Una no dey shame? shocked  Can still use you leprous cyber fingers to type unapologetic crap here?  Shameless buffoons!  See the whole world knows us---Yahoozers and Yahoozees! angry   I did not even understand it was this bad.  These are coming from South Africans oh!  You can imagine what the rest of the world think.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!  We owe Dr. Watson an apology---Big time! angry  We stink even in the back yard of SA---No hope!

Some of them are smart enough to know that the "Queen" is the head of the colonial 419 subjects!  We don die finish--rotten and dey smell all over the world with no burial place as "global osus"! Tufiakwa!

NIGERIAN BUSINESSMEN AND WOMEN GO TO SCHOOL AND GET PROFESSIONAL JOBS OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YAHOOZING IS NOT A BUSINESS OR PROFESSION!
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by iykrion(m): 11:36pm On Oct 24, 2007
These people are really a bunch of cretins angry Perhaps they will also tell us that those that shot and killed Lucky Dube are Nigerians. Many South Africans are lazy and criminally minded. Umu anu ofia!
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by babadee(m): 12:38am On Oct 25, 2007
iykrion:

These people are really a bunch of cretins angry Perhaps they will also tell us that those that shot and killed Lucky Dube are Nigerians. Many South Africans are lazy and criminally minded. Umu anu ofia!

Word!!!
imagine all that crap coming from aids infected, virgin child rapists and violent animals. so violent they killed one of their own most important exports to the world. Abeg make i hear word. Screw SA.
you didn't know there were a few criminals in Nigeria when we were helping you fight Arpatheid!!!
Morons
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by kainos76(m): 8:31am On Oct 25, 2007
Fellow nairalanders I was appalled when i stumbled on this article. I have been living in SA for over 2 years now and its so disheartening how miopic these bigots are. Though it is certain that a lot of uneducated Nigerians living in SA are engaged in all sorts of nefarous activities, south africans cannot deny the impact that Nigerian professionals have made in their country. 20% of the doctors here in SA are Nigerians, a lot of our Academics are making an impact in their Tertiary institutions, Professor Omotosho and Dr Akin just to mention a few. Fellow nairalanders the youngest Doctor in South Africa is even a Nigerian.

I am quite disappointed that people would say most Nigerians are corrupt when its a fact that we are about 140 million people excluding those in the diaspora making an impact in their chosen field.
Well the world can hate all they want I know that there are lots of good people in Nigeria, people that are role models back home and even here in SA.
I am also disappointed that some members of nairaland are even so miopic to support some of the miopic views expressed in that article when even some South Africans say that generalisation is bad. I would like to state at this juncture that we as Nigerians should be more wary of the enemies within.
Long live to the good people of Nigeria who cannot defend themselves.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 25, 2007
so bad,
Am on fire presently, can think of what to say angry
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by dayokanu(m): 9:47am On Oct 25, 2007
@poster,
Can you give me the site and let me bombard those sex deprived animals where the Vice president attacked an HIV victim.

SA export AIDS to the world. They are the most violent . In Jo'Burg 1 person gets shot every 10 minutes

WHy are they so gullible that they all keep falling for Nigerian scam letters. Statistically America does the most scams in the world wonder when you

visit any website you see something like "Win a free laptop or Plasma screen TV or 1 million dollars" Are those Nigerian scams too?

And this are the majority of worldwide scams. You know the works of hackers how many Nigerians can hack go to UK ad see they are mainly 'Pakis"
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by onyekang1(f): 12:07pm On Oct 25, 2007
short of words lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by texazzpete(m): 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2007
dayokanu:

@poster,
Statistically America does the most scams in the world wonder when you

visit any website you see something like "Win a free laptop or Plasma screen TV or 1 million dollars" Are those Nigerian scams too?

And this are the majority of worldwide scams. You know the works of hackers how many Nigerians can hack go to UK ad see they are mainly 'Pakis"

Simple fact is that 'win a free laptop' or 'win a free ipod' banners are not likely to deprive the victim of his entire life savings. For sheer cruelty and merciless cash drainage, try Nigerian 419ers.

kainos76:

Fellow nairalanders I was appalled when i stumbled on this article. I have been living in SA for over 2 years now and its so disheartening how miopic these bigots are. Though it is certain that a lot of uneducated Nigerians living in SA are engaged in all sorts of nefarous activities, south africans cannot deny the impact that Nigerian professionals have made in their country. 20% of the doctors here in SA are Nigerians, a lot of our Academics are making an impact in their Tertiary institutions, Professor Omotosho and Dr Akin just to mention a few. Fellow nairalanders the youngest Doctor in South Africa is even a Nigerian.

I am quite disappointed that people would say most Nigerians are corrupt when its a fact that we are about 140 million people excluding those in the diaspora making an impact in their chosen field.
Well the world can hate all they want I know that there are lots of good people in Nigeria, people that are role models back home and even here in SA.
I am also disappointed that some members of nairaland are even so miopic to support some of the miopic views expressed in that article when even some South Africans say that generalisation is bad. I would like to state at this juncture that we as Nigerians should be more wary of the enemies within.
Long live to the good people of Nigeria who cannot defend themselves.

Bullshit! It's about the impact on ordinary people's lives, and the impact from wayward Nigerians outside the country is most often far more than the positive influence of the few good men. it's like saying Lagos is a paradise simply because it's got Silverbird cinema and several yacht clubs.

babadee:

Word!!!
imagine all that crap coming from aids infected, virgin child rapists and violent animals. so violent they killed one of their own most important exports to the world. Abeg make i hear word. Screw SA.
you didn't know there were a few criminals in Nigeria when we were helping you fight Arpatheid!!!
Morons

. . . So violent we almost killed tuface twice, eh? You've just generalised, yet you condemn others that generalise? Hypocrisy always stinks.

kainos76:

OH PLEASE!
Oh PLEASE!!!Cry me a friggin river.It's high time that all Nigerians woke up+realised that in this case it's not OPRAH supposedly 'dragging the country's reputation through the mud', but in fact it's all the fraudsters in their own country! THEY, NOT Oprah, are the ones guilty of that. And that's not even taking into account their drug dealing shenanigans. So please, everyone was thinking it, Oprah just had the courage to say it. It's simple:Stop the fraud and restore your national reputation. - Ca55

Did any of you self-righteous goons read this piece above? When we glorify crime and corruption in Nigeria, what othe result do we anticipate?
have any of you self-righteous people stopped to ask yourselves why songs glorifying crime and 419 (Yahoozee, I go chop your dollar) are chart toppers and party favourites in Nigeria? I refuse to play Yahoozee because i know how terrible the message in that song is.
Everytime Seun puts a sticky on the homepage of Nairaland talking about 419, and he puts a vote button in the story, you'll be surprised that over half of the people that contribute to the discussion do so in favour of 419, preferring to shift the blame for theft onto the victims.

This is nigeria, where people do evil things and act genuinely shocked when the consequences catch up with them. I've said it before,a nd i'll say it again. The real traitors are those that blindly defend our twisted values and awry state of the nation.

As the Zulus say, "I have spoken".
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by evergie(m): 1:37pm On Oct 25, 2007
How do we attack this SA ppl? But wetin make them think say them better pass us?
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by Legendary(m): 3:41pm On Oct 25, 2007
Its good to hear people stand up for Nigeria in a time when patriotism and patriots are fast on the decline.

However, there is a need to take this anger, zeal, passion (call it what you may) into our daily lives, our communities, place of work and our environment generally and ignite a positive change in the small things (how we talk to people in a lower strata of society, our hygiene standards, matters pertaining to our integrity, moral standards, trustworthiness etc).

Study has shown that less than 7% of a society's population is enough to kickstart a major change (whether attitudinal, policy implementation, etc). Let us be part of the less than 7% change agents.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2007
Some of the ones I love

Oprah and the Nigerians
If the Nigerians feel they need an apology for being called fraudsters, the whole world needs an apology from them as 99% of all fraud, drugs and prostiution committed in other countries, are done by the Nigerians. So please, get real and hang your head in shame for being part of this nation of thiefs. - Frank

What?

Let's face facts
I don't understand why all the noise, the truth is these internet scams are rife and alarming and are mostly done by Nigerians. There aren't many Nigerians with day jobs, how do you think they leave? Some even say they can never work, they do a "business" as it gices them quick money. the "business" is obviously illegal and involves taking people's money. Oprah merely pointed out an issue that is of concern, rightfully so. Nigerians are generally corrupt and they know this - Zinhle

Nassir Abbas - Your last paragraph is true! Africa has a reputation for corruption, Nigeria in particular. It is unwritten policy in many companies not do any deals with Nigerians, and every contact I've had with Nigerians in business as an international agent for Africa has been proved to be a scam. The business ethics in Africa are generally poor! - Barry

Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by Purist(m): 4:24pm On Oct 25, 2007
Coincidentally, I stumbled on this same piece last night while searching for the actual statement Oprah made against Nigeria. I was going to make a comment but it's locked. Here's the link: http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Celebrities/0,,2-1225-2108_2186033,00.html

And by the way, I really think that guy at Punch should be questioned on how/where he got his report.
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by almondjoy(f): 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2007
Purist:

Coincidentally, I stumbled on this same piece last night while searching for the actual statement Oprah made against Nigeria. I was going to make a comment but it's locked. Here's the link: http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Celebrities/0,,2-1225-2108_2186033,00.html

And by the way, I really think that guy at Punch should be questioned on how/where he got his report.

Oh please save your time---What is there to question from a "Yahoozee" journalist! We are talking about Nigeria you know. Crediblity is something that can never be researched or attained! So save your precious time!
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by texazzpete(m): 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2007
Good ol' Nigerians!
glorify crime and 419, hype these thieves as 'big boys' and celebrate their achievements. Then have the guts to complain why Western countries deny you Visa, when other countries have had enough and call us out on our tolerance of 419.
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by Kobojunkie: 8:04pm On Oct 25, 2007
It never seems to amaze me how when we get slammed with truth from the mouth of others, we rush to pick sides. So those Nigerians who put down the SA's for saying what they really have come to believe of Nigerians from experience are the PATRIOTIC AND GOOD ONES You dudes have to be kidding me!!!!

I am a full blooded Nigerian and even I see that in all,sure some generalized a bit but it is not like they lied?? This is what they have come to learn from the few Nigerians they have met, I guess. I am guessing many of you have not been to SA before. The place is definitely filled with Nigerian drug dealers and criminals. I am sorry to say it but I was down there myself and had to walk on my toes all the times. I was not afraid of some South African nabbing me but of another Nigerian actually assaulting me. Sure there are the good Nigerians but we live in a time where we have exposed our ills to the world and the world knows of it. I ask you all to take one visit to South Africa and see for yourself. For one good Nigerian, there are about 5 criminals who happen to be Nigerians. Even a friend of mine who moved from Nigeria to South Africa for a teaching position ended up moving back cause he lived not sure if he would see the next day and he was more afraid of the Nigerians there than he was people of any other ethnicity.

I remember I met this one taxi driver in Birmingham Alabama, an african american dude too. We were talking of things and I told him I was from Nigeria. This dude's face changed in a second and then he told me of how some nigerian dude had played him 419. Do you know how that felt?? I bet this man would remember me but not as much as he would the man who duped him of most all he had over some business deal and mind you, same sort of deal he has worked on for years with so many others ( not illegal), but his one bad case happened to be with a Nigerian.
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by azorjiu(m): 8:45pm On Oct 25, 2007
That is how nigerians are perceived.

Below is a thread from london mad house.

http://forums.gumtree.com/about119495.html&highlight=nigerians

oblivious

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Now, I'm not racist but,   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

, I wish that Nigerians would stop sending me messages on eBay asking if i can post my expensive electrical items to their:
(delete as appropriate)

neighbours/cousins/mums/daughters/boyfriends/siters/uncles/friends/son,

who is:

riddled with disease/studying/depressed/homesick/incarcerated in Nigeria or surrounding areas!

WOULD YOU EVER Bleep OFF AND STOP TRYING TO SCAM ME LIKE IM SOME SORT OF Arrow WITH JUST HALF A BRAIN CELL WHO IS ACTUALLY GONNA FALL FOR IT!

Jeeeeez 

SpellKaster

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oblivious wrote:
, I wish that Nigerians would stop sending me messages on eBay asking if i can post my expensive electrical items to their:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

riddled with disease/studying/depressed/homesick/incarcerated in Nigeria or surrounding areas!

WOULD YOU EVER Bleep OFF AND STOP TRYING TO SCAM ME LIKE IM SOME SORT OF Arrow WITH JUST HALF A BRAIN CELL WHO IS ACTUALLY GONNA FALL FOR IT! 

Jeeeeez 

I get those all the time. You should google 'Scam Baiting' there's some funny stuff in response to those.

oblivious

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject:   

I mean, the fact that you have 0 transactions and only signed up to eBay that very day kind of gives it away 

oblivious

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

I get those all the time. You should google 'Scam Baiting' there's some funny stuff in response to those.

Will do SpellKaster I seem to have waaaaaaay too much tim eon my hands!

SpellKaster

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

That will kill a few hours that will.

Unless you want to contribute to the 'Show us your boobs' thread 

oblivious

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

Well i could i guess, but they're far too huge to possibly both fit in one picture!   

SpellKaster

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

Well i could i guess, but they're far too huge to possibly both fit in one picture!   

Well, if you e-mail me two pictures, i'll have a look and see if i can stick them together 

oblivious

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

Well, if you e-mail me two pictures, i'll have a look and see if i can stick them together 

SpellKaster

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

If you've got the time, i've got the inclination 

poopiekat

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject:   

Oblivious sez: asking if i can post my expensive electrical items

Anyone with half a brain knows they don't have electricity in Nigeria!!

How naive can you be??

satanic_angel

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:   

poopiekat wrote:
Oblivious sez: asking if i can post my expensive electrical items

Anyone with half a brain knows they don't have electricity in Nigeria!!

How naive can you be??

Naive? Wouldn't she have to fall for the scam to be called that?!

oblivious

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

It seems we both have far too much time on our hands!

I could email you random bits of my body that you can put together piece by piece,   

SpellKaster

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Now, I'm not racist but,   

oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:
SpellKaster wrote:
oblivious wrote:

(delete as appropriate)

who is:

Jeeeeez 

It seems we both have far too much time on our hands!

I could email you random bits of my body that you can put together piece by piece,   

That sounds like a great idea!

The less clothes the better too!

SpellKaster

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:   

*checks mailbox*

*Empty*

mentatq

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:   

Oddly enough, we get a lot of those in Canada. Claim they are in USA want to ship item to their kid attending school in England. Do you have a lot of Nigerian exchange students there? Are their majors scamming and spamming?

imlooking

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:   

i track the buggers down and send loads of crap to them,used to get shit from yahoo addresses took three weeks but by the time i finished they were having a nervous breakdown.

donley

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: racist   

What fascinates me is, they never seem to give up. Most of them have bought English language letters that are riddled with mistakes, and even then, they manage to take in people that you would normally think knew better. Recently, a controller in an American city was caught with his hand in the city money jar. It isn't that they are so intelligent, it is because they realise there will always be one more greedy fish to take the bait. Any dumb bastard who takes the bait deserves to be caught.

Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by deb(m): 3:06pm On Mar 04, 2009
Only mentally retarded human being like most of those South Africans generalise and stereotype others.

@
Word!!!
Morons

Man! I love you. You deserve a hug grin cheesy wink tongue
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by deb(m): 3:34pm On Mar 04, 2009
It never seems to amaze me how when we get slammed with truth from the mouth of others, we rush to pick sides. So those Nigerians who put down the SA's for saying what they really have come to believe of Nigerians from experience are the PATRIOTIC AND GOOD ONES You dudes have to be kidding me!!!!

I am a full blooded Nigerian and even I see that in all,sure some generalized a bit but  it is not like they lied?? This is what they have come to learn from the few Nigerians they have met, I guess.  I am guessing many of you have not been to SA before. The place is definitely filled with Nigerian drug dealers and criminals. I am sorry to say it but I was down there myself and had to walk on my toes all the times. I was not afraid of some South African nabbing me but of another Nigerian actually assaulting me. Sure there are the good Nigerians but we live in a time where we have exposed our ills to the world and the world knows of it. I ask you all to take one visit to South Africa and see for yourself. For one good Nigerian, there are about 5 criminals who happen to be Nigerians. Even a friend of mine who moved from Nigeria to South Africa for a teaching position ended up moving back cause he lived not sure if he would see the next day and he was more afraid of the Nigerians there than he was people of any other ethnicity.

I remember I met this one taxi driver in Birmingham Alabama, an african american dude too. We were talking of things and I told him I was from Nigeria. This dude's face changed in a second and then he told me of how some nigerian dude had played him 419. Do you know how that felt?? I bet this man would remember me but not as much as he would the man who duped him of most all he had over some business deal and mind you, same sort of deal he has worked on for years with so many others ( not illegal), but his one bad case happened to be with a Nigerian.

I'm sick and tired of Nigerians talking about our problems and challenges as if we are the only ones who have problems.
Nigeria is not the only corrupt nation in the world. Nigeria is not the only country where crime takes place.
So many other countries do more than we do and they don't even make noise about it but we Nigerian are more like always celebrating anything
negative that come out of our country. We magnify and call the attention of the whole world to whatever "evil" had taken place in our country.

Its so amazing that just a few people cause the big problems in the midst of millions of other Nigerians and we have so now sold the entire Nigerian nation to the whole world as though we are the greatest evil genius the world has ever produced just because we cannot keep our mouth shut and deal with our problems
internally like other countries.
I remember that sometime back I read in the newspaper a story of some Ghanian fraudsters who lied  that they are Nigerians after they were caught in their regular cyber crime? Why wouldn't they call themselves Nigerians when they know that we are the only ones who proudly derive pleasure putting our nation down in the eyes of other

Until we stopped giving a larger than life imagery to our bad deeds over our good deeds, the hypocitical and the holier than thou world has just began to stereotype us.
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by JJYOU: 3:46pm On Mar 04, 2009
wbb
Re: Fellow Nairalanders See What Some Uninformed People Think Of U by lucabrasi(m): 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2009
SAVING MY OWN COPY!!!!!

Quote from: kainos76 on October 24, 2007, 10:26 PM

Good on Oprah
Well said Oprah. Corruption in Nigeria is crippling the country and Nigeria's leaders are not doing enough to stop it. Some extra pressure won't hurt. - Attie

I have seen a few good Nigerians and most of those I've met are a total chaos. Met them in church and social gathering and they all speak the same language, drugs, and fraud, if you follow.

- Andile aww, c'mon!

I guess we have a better understanding about the risks and wrongs of generalising and stereotyping because of our political history (South Africa), but the constant scamming attempts by SOME Nigerian citizens is a reality and we should not hide it.

There is no wrong in calling a shark a shark, if it is a shark!

Forget about Oprah and worry about why the west thinks you are a shark. - leon

Oprah Apologise?
This Arican American can do anything I please, doesn't understand how much we do not actually like her!! -

Kevin OH PLEASE!
Oh PLEASE!!!Cry me a friggin river.It's high time that all Nigerians woke up+realised that in this case it's not OPRAH supposedly dragging the country's reputation through the mud, but in fact it's all the fraudsters in their own country!

THEY, NOT Oprah, are the ones guilty of that. And that's not even taking into account their drug dealing shenanigans. So please, everyone was thinking it, Oprah just had the courage to say it. It's simple:Stop the fraud and restore your national reputation. - Ca55

Oprah and the Nigerians
If the Nigerians feel they need an apology for being called fraudsters, the whole world needs an apology from them as 99% of all fraud, drugs and prostiution committed in other countries, are done by the Nigerians. So please, get real and hang your head in shame for being part of this nation of thieves. - Frank

What?

THE TRUST HURTS
The truth hurts. Just look at the Nigerians in South Africa. They are up to no good. Get rid of them -

Anti Nigerian 419 Scam

Let's face facts
I don't understand why all the noise, the truth is these internet scams are rife and alarming and are mostly done by Nigerians.

There aren't many Nigerians with day jobs, how do you think they leave? Some even say they can never work, they do a "business" as it gives them quick money. the "business" is obviously illegal and involves taking people's money. Oprah merely pointed out an issue that is of concern, rightfully so. Nigerians are generally corrupt and they know this - Zinhle

Nigeria
So, if Nigeria is such a fun place to be, why are Shell and BP pulling out of the delta?

Why are there so many Nigerian "entrepreneurs" in SA? Its s because they know a weak target if they see it. - ChrisS

Oprah's researcher used an unrepresentative sample
I an African and have met good and intelligent Nigerians. Most Nigerians like most Africans are intelligent and me, Oprah and Brian Ross cannot take that away from us. How on earth does holier than us people of America get duped by the Nigerians. I think Oprah's researcher (Brian Ross) fed her with wrong and unimpirical information and she believed him/her. Brian Ross' sample was not representative of the Nigerians and I think it should be discarded. What research method did you use MrRos? - JR

Nigerians
are bad news. If you've stayed in central Jozi you can attest to this. They are the most corrupt and have a don't care attitude when it comes to ripping people off.

They are the biggest pimps out there and unfortunately South aAfricanwomen love them.

O yah, Oprah should not apologise for telling the truth. Aluta continua, - Fresh

Nigerians

Nassir Abbas - Your last paragraph is true! Africa has a reputation for corruption, Nigeria in particular.

It is unwritten policy in many companies not do any deals with Nigerians, and every contact I've had with Nigerians in business as an international agent for Africa has been proved to be a scam.

The business ethics in Africa are generally poor! - Barry

I don't think Oprah would have generalised like that, anyway some Nigerians are crooks,
get out of South Africa, and take your drugs and fraud with you. - Kubeshni

JR, you idiot
If you think most Africans are intelligent, you are the stupidest of all Africans. Most Africans use the little intelligence they have to think up scams, that is the only creativity most Africans show. - Ice

Well said!
Why must Oprah apologise? The truth hurts, doesn't it?

MOST Nigerians are crooks in my eyes. If they're not committing fraud with their scams, then they are pushing their drugs all over the country. - Tracey

The truth hurts

Shocked!

Utterly nnonsense/b]
[b]We all know Nigerians are crooks,Fraudsters and drug pushers. a couple of my friends have been corned by Nigerians. i do not think Oprah should apologise - Zinhle

Nigerians
Well said Kubeshni! I have NEVER heard of a Nigerian doing something worth while or good in South Africa, it is always drugs , illegal guns , prostitution etc.

We are trying to make our country a better place and you are just of our problem! Get out of our country, or is your country too rotten and banged up by yourselves that you need a new place to spread your crime and worthlessness? - MO

Lol
"the queen was probably the head of the Nigerian mafia" That was funny. Most Nigerians are crooks but not all of them. Just like most black people are criminals and most Indiansand whites are racists and coloured people low llives Should Oprah apologize? I don't think so. It's just facts. - KitttyKat

CROOKS
IT CANT BE ALL OF THEM PLS OR 99% OF ALL DRUGS,PROSTITUTION,FFRAUDIS DONE BY THEM. - alchemist

Culled from news24.co.za

Uninformed ko! Uninformed ni! Una no dey shame? Can still use you leprous cyber fingers to type unapologetic crap here? Shameless buffoons! See the whole world knows us---Yahoozers and Yahoozees! I did not even understand it was this bad. These are coming from South Africans oh! You can imagine what the rest of the world think. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! We owe Dr. Watson an apology---Big time! We stink even in the back yard of SA---No hope!

Some of them are smart enough to know that the "Queen" is the head of the colonial 419 subjects! We don die finish--rotten and dey smell all over the world with no burial place as "global osus"! Tufiakwa!

NIGERIAN BUSINESSMEN AND WOMEN GO TO SCHOOL AND GET PROFESSIONAL JOBS OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YAHOOZING IS NOT A BUSINESS OR PROFESSION!

@ALMONDJOY

maybe im missing something here,what exactly is your point??
out of 150million nigerians,a minority are committing frauds and oprah does an articler or whatever which was seen by many to be biased and this is the best you could come up with??

did the brian ross interview the nursery,primary,secondary school students who against all odds like no seats,no blackboards e.t.c manage to get educated?

did they interview young nigerians who made something out of nothing like the 2 face,dbanj and the young entrepreneurs?

why is south africa not been villified by south africans or their citizens in spite of the high rateof crime,rapes e.t.c going on there,lucky dube was a victim yet their citizens dont go online pouring vitriol on their country,same as brazil and the crime in the favelas e.t.c
unless what you r advocating is for nigerians both home and abroad to hide their cultures,identities and pride because of an oprah piece

(1) (Reply)

Horror In Ogun State, Police Killed Innocent Woman In Exchange For Robbers. / Fresh Violence In Bauchi Again By Kalo-kato (not Bokoharam)! / Terror Watch List: Nigerian Lawmaker Deported From Amsterdam Schiphol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 234
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.