Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages (3617 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by maxsiollun: 11:44pm On Mar 01, 2012
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/02/daily-chart-9

Nigeria has OVER 500 indigenous languages. So please - let us once and for all keep trotting out this tired old "250 languages" cliche that Western media shoves down our throats.

Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by Ptolomeus(m): 9:14pm On Mar 02, 2012
Brazil 181
I would like to know what those 181 languages ​​from Brazil!.
I guess that also are including dialects , but in the case of Brazil really do not think so.
Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by AndreUweh(m): 7:59pm On Mar 04, 2012
Awolowo was quoted as saying that Nigeria does not have more than 50 languages. He may be right. For example some people have classified Ijebu, Okun, Awori, Offa and Owoh as separate languages from the Yoruba language.
Shortly after the war, the then anti Igbo regime of Gowon reclassified Ikwerre, Ekpeye and Ukwuani as separate languages from Igbo language. The problem here is that the Igbo ones unlike their Yoruba counterpart has bought this idea largely and has used it to claim nationhood.
This is what you get when you have insincere govts.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by PhysicsQED(m): 11:15pm On Mar 04, 2012
^^^^^

Saying that Nigeria does not have more than 50 languages is incorrect. Maybe whoever said that should have said that Nigeria does not have more than 50 distinct "cultures", which is more plausible.

Much of the linguistic diversity leading to the "250" or "500" claim probably has to do with languages in the Northern part of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by Ptolomeus(m): 5:32pm On Mar 05, 2012
That's what I meant when I made my comment about Brazil. It is impossible for Brazil to have 181 languages​​!.
Regarding your comment of the Yoruba, despite my status as a foreigner, I understand that if a claim from them, not that important language, but its historical origins, their common ancestors, traditions, and primarily because like many other African peoples were divided arbitrarily by Europeans, without regard to any item socio - cultural, historical or blood.
I think these reasons by itself would already valid a claim for anyone.
But it is my humble opinion, of course.
My respects.
Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by Ngodigha1(m): 6:10pm On Mar 05, 2012
In my own part of Delta North., instead of one Igbo language, some people will come up even up to seven languages. I pity some people.
Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by isalegan2: 5:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ptolomeus: Brazil 181
I would like to know what those 181 languages ​​from Brazil!.
I guess that also are including dialects , but in the case of Brazil really do not think so.

Maybe the different Native American "Indian" tribes.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
South Africa is linguistically more diverse than Nigeria?

HOW?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by karfe(m): 9:22am On Nov 29, 2013
PhysicsQED: ^^^^^

Saying that Nigeria does not have more than 50 languages is incorrect. Maybe whoever said that should have said that Nigeria does not have more than 50 distinct "cultures", which is more plausible.

Much of the linguistic diversity leading to the "250" or "500" claim probably has to do with languages in the MIDDLE BELT part of the country.
Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:43am On Nov 30, 2013
Radoillo: South Africa is linguistically more diverse than Nigeria?

HOW?

No idea how, very good question probably took south Africa's population and divided it by the number of languages spoken and came up with said rubbish number

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by karfe(m): 3:47pm On Dec 24, 2013
http://www.ethnologue.com/country/NG

This web site is reliable
Re: Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages by Fulaman198(m): 3:40pm On Dec 25, 2013
karfe: http://www.ethnologue.com/country/NG

This web site is reliable

Interesting, thanks

(1) (Reply)

The Nairaland Culture Carnival / Please When Is It Proper To Start Greeting Goodevening...is It 4, 5 Or 6pm / A War-Room Discussion & Analysis Of Yoruba History.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.