Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. (8213 Views)

Picture Of Ojukwu As A Boy With His Father In 1937 / Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / Throwback Picture Of Ojukwu As A Kid - (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Akiika: 11:02pm On Mar 02, 2012
I'm sure Nigeria will hold the world record for the greatest number of d/umb, educated illiterate. I still don't understand what y'all enjoy from ethnic bigotry. Keep on the internet war while less than 1% of the population steal your collective wealth. Can one Bayelsan tell me how GEJ's presidency has improved his condition? yet you waste your time struggling to even type and construct grammar for your unintelligent comment.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by lctewand(f): 12:34am On Mar 03, 2012
Nobel Laurite, Prof. Wole Soyinka also showered praises on the late Ikemba Nnewi whom he described as his childhood friend and urged Nigerians particularly Ndigbo to emulate his leadership qualities.

i still do not understand how this statement has caused an ethnic war here on nairaland.
whats wrong with you people?
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by iiiyyyk(m): 12:41am On Mar 03, 2012
Akiika:

I'm sure Nigeria will hold the world record for the greatest number of d/umb, educated illiterate. I still don't understand what y'all enjoy from ethnic bigotry. Keep on the internet war while less than 1% of the population steal your collective wealth. Can one Bayelsan tell me how GEJ's presidency has improved his condition? yet you waste your time struggling to even type and construct  grammar for your unintelligent comment.

i wish i could take some nairalanders to Ogbia LGA to see the level of poverty in that place.

it beats my imagination the level of reasoning of nigerian youths.  when you look at the way they talk, you know the future of this country is hopeless
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by amec(m): 3:16am On Mar 03, 2012
my dear primary school historian, your curricula in primary school is not enough to guarantee a squeed commentary here. get some higher education, you then can appreciate what is called
'the vindication of history'.

those you see as psychophants today during the sixties really were thinking the way you do today, but now they seem to have grasped the truth in ojukwu's madness back then.

they, haven seen the sham that the giant of black race has become, simply are regretting their roles back then ok.

they ve seen the deception that nigeria is. a mere contraption!

they are pointing you,
to a fact.

weather you like it or not 'that history will soon be revisited'; and i guess thats the very reason you are worried and call them psychophants.

they just suddenly realised 'afterall ojukwu was right'.
this is what you re seeing now.
nigeria and indeed the black race will never rise untill the 'aburi' accord is fully implemented.

i remember some northern suckers like ibb, telling us way back 88, to continue looking or matching forward like zombies.
but if you have a hindsight of truthfulness, you ll agree that the call for sovereign national conference has never abated an inch.

today, the call is still louder almost like it were when abacha stole abiola's mandate.

pdp is just postponing the evil day.

what do you think nigerian want out of thier call for snc?

they want the center to become weak.
they want every state in nigeria to be viable and responsible for its resources and then pay tax to the center.
they want some genuine federalism.
they want qualified persons to be incharge of things based on merit not quota system.
they want every man and states in nigeria to be able to develope at their own pace not parasiting on others. get THIS!

its the warp and woof of Aburi Accord.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by HighChief4(m): 5:13am On Mar 03, 2012
tpia@:

i just went through the wiki pages of soyinka and ojukwu, and there's no record of them meeting before 1967 when he visited ojukwu to discuss the war.

soyinka schooled in abeokuta while ojukwu spent his early years in lagos, and was sent to england at age 13 [in 1946].

ojukwu returned to nigeria in 1956 [age 23], while soyinka moved to england in 1954 [age 20].

did they meet in england or before then?

i guess there's something i'm missing.

What you are missing is that you should keep your mouth shut and go take your drugs
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by charlsecy4(m): 9:33am On Mar 03, 2012
tpia@:

i just went through the wiki pages of soyinka and ojukwu, and there's no record of them meeting before 1967 when he visited ojukwu to discuss the war.

soyinka schooled in abeokuta while ojukwu spent his early years in lagos, and was sent to england at age 13 [in 1946].

ojukwu returned to nigeria in 1956 [age 23], while soyinka moved to england in 1954 [age 20].

did they meet in england or before then?

i guess there's something i'm missing.

If Soyinka was in England as at 1954, then he could have met Ojukwu as Ojukwu only left England in 1956, although I wouldn't use the words, "childhood friend" to describe the relationaship. If that's not the case, then it could be that Soyinka was hallucinating when he said that!

BlackPikiN:

Hahahaha, alagbatomoye, you sound so dumb and dry!
I wonder why your psychiatrist stopped your medication!
You need to be chained!

I think he is still on medication. The issue is that he is no longer responding to treatments!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by ACM10: 11:29am On Mar 03, 2012
P.S.: Pls tune in to Splash FM 105.5 Ibadan on saturday 10/03/12 from 10AM to 11AM for a live debate between Igbo and Yoruba intellectuals. I'm working to get the tape of today's debate and post it online for public consumption. People are being seriously miseducated on the events surrounding the war and its actors here on NL
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by otokx(m): 12:50pm On Mar 03, 2012
iiiyyyk:

i wish i could take some nairalanders to Ogbia LGA to see the level of poverty in that place.

it beats my imagination the level of reasoning of nigerian youths.  when you look at the way they talk, you know the future of this country is hopeless

Bitter truth; our so called leaders are out for themselves. How many roads in Nnewi did the FG or SG or LG rehabilitate for this burial? You may just be surprised - maybe 1 and then repaint some areas. No real development.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by tpia5: 11:17pm On Mar 03, 2012
If Soyinka was in England as at 1954, then he could have met Ojukwu as Ojukwu only left England in 1956, although I wouldn't use the words, "childhood friend" to describe the relationaship.

why would a relationship between them be kept a secret until now?

people assumed soyinka was sympathetic to the biafran cause for humanitarian or political reasons, not because of previous ties with ojukwu.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by EzeUche(m): 12:55am On Mar 04, 2012
God bless Wole Soyinka.

The last of a dying breed amongst the Yoruba.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by udezue(m): 4:39am On Mar 04, 2012
@ Gogobiri, u are an idiiot. May your ethnic group face the same or better worse extermination. Fuckin hateful m.orons like u are the reason why Africa is such a backward continent compared to the rest of the world. A man stood up against on-going genocide against his region and u have the nerve to come here and talk trash about unity? So the slaughtering of 50,000 Easterners was unity for u therefore Ojukwu should have folded his arms? Effiong and the rest should have turned a blind eye? May your immediate family members be killed and maimed in the most horrible way. Bastarrds
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 04, 2012
udezue, did you take time to read my post before running your mouth? Did Ojukwu fight on the side of Nigeria or Biafra? If he fought for Biafra then he is not a champion of one Nigeria, so why is Nigeria now hailing him as a Nigerian hero (scratches his head), those trying to distort history are merely trying to usurp Igbo votes in the coming elections (simple logic), Do i condemn Ojukwu's actions considering the Northern incident NO! So why all the curses, is the truth so bitter you cannot exercise logical restraint in speech? Your response exclaims Biafra thrice as your facebook slogan, apparently you are an Igbo man who still harbours Biafran sentiments, well good for you only next time tell your next Ojukwu to make adequate preparations so as to avoid a repeat of the 1966 massacre, history has validated the Igbos and this time the whole world including the Yorubas might be in support of your next MASSOB, IGBO Kwenu
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by HighChief4(m): 3:27pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^^My friend sgut up already if have nothing meaningful to say. When a man uses all possible means to achieve peace and it fails, then what do you expect him to do? He tried his best to settle everything amicably but the young naive Gowon turned his face and pretended everything was fine. Go read your history books and also work on your thinking process.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by davidif: 5:29am On Aug 09, 2017
BlackPikiN:
Nobel Laurite, Prof. Wole Soyinka also showered praises on the late Ikemba Nnewi whom he described as his childhood friend and urged Nigerians particularly Ndigbo to emulate his leadership qualities.

He stated that Nigeria’s history would not be complete without the role of Ojukwu, saying rather than mourning his exit, Nigerians should celebrate the fact that in his life, bitterness gave way to reconciliation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/ojukwu-jonathan-soyinka-rawlings-anyaoku-others-pay-final-respect/

And What leadership qualities are you talking about again? Putting your own personal vendetta over the overall good and well being of your people?? Uhm, no thanks.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by disumusa: 5:02pm On Aug 09, 2017
BlackPikiN:

He stated that Nigeria’s history would not be complete without the role of Ojukwu, saying rather than mourning his exit, Nigerians should celebrate the fact that in his life, bitterness gave way to reconciliation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/ojukwu-jonathan-soyinka-rawlings-anyaoku-others-pay-final-respect/

nawa for wolesoyinka how can he associate himself with that worwor ojuku

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whistleblowers Fetch Nigeria N143billion / Nnamdi Kanu Claims These Pictures Are Photoshop. You Decide. / Kogi West Citizens Demand Fixing Of Kabba-Egbe-Ilorin Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.