Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,798 members, 7,817,306 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

What Happened To Izuogu Automobile - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Happened To Izuogu Automobile (4435 Views)

Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales / Fatal Accident That Happened Today In Unubi, Anambra State (Graphic Photos) / What Happened To Izuogu’s Z-600 Nigeria Made Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by htajz: 5:43pm On Mar 02, 2012
Izuogu Z-600
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Izuogu Z-600

The Izuogu Z-600 prototype was the first indigenous Nigerian car, and the first automobile of indigenous all-African technology. It was the brainchild of engineer Ezekiel Izuogu. Launched in 1997, the car caused a stir in the Nigerian media, and was touted by the then Nigerian chief of Staff General Oladipo Diya.
[edit]Design and Specification

The prototype was equipped with a self made 1.8L four cylinder engine that got 18mpg and allowed the car to achieve a top speed of 140 km/h (86 mph). Front Wheel Drive (FWD) was chosen over Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) because a transmission tunnel, which RWD would require, would be more expensive to fabricate. 90% of the car's components were made locally.
The design of the car was very utilitarian resembling a Renault 4 with its upright stance and a front end that resembles the locally assembled Peugeot 504.
To be priced at $2000 it would have been the cheapest car in the world. Clever features like a door bell used in place of a horn ensure it achieves its low price target. Mass production was planned under Izuogu motors located in Naze, Imo state, but too many financial and political hurdles prevented the car from proceeding past the prototype stage.
[edit]Current progress

In 2005 interest from other African countries arose about the Z-600 and Dr. Izuogu was invited to South Africa to give a speech on science and technology. The South African government showed keen interest in the car and wanted Izuogu to build it in South Africa.
Optimism surrounded the car until March 11th, 2006, when armed robbers raided the factory of Izuogu Motors taking with them the molds for the engine blocks and crank shaft, mudguards and other components. This was a big setback for the project. Since then not much is known on the status of the car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izuogu_Z-600

can anyone tell us if they are still trying to rebuild the engine or have they given up totaly on the project like soo many other nigerian projects.

i pity the owner after all the hard work, such a man would have been a world icon if only he took this technology to another country including south africa, there is no gain in trying to make nigeria proud instead you end up heart broken and broke.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2012
I think izuogu can partner with innoson to make vehicle engines. Abroad there are companies which specialize in making/developing various types of vehicle engine,v6;v8 and others.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by texazzpete(m): 10:54am On Mar 04, 2012
90% of the car was fabricated locally? Who the heck do you think you're kidding?

Are we so behind technologically that any feat is subjected to immense hyperbole? Imagine the OP saying the man would have been a 'world icon' for crafting a crude internal combustion engine vehicle with cobbled parts.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by erico2k2(m): 10:56am On Mar 04, 2012
Ok the moulds where stollen, new ones could be made.he should seek for funds properly, most of our inventors want to do it all by themselves, it donw work like that, you got to be managed by somebody who could give financial breakfrus
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by erico2k2(m): 10:58am On Mar 04, 2012
texazzpete:

90% of the car was fabricated locally? Who the heck do you think you're kidding?

Are we so behind technologically that any feat is subjected to immense hyperbole? Imagine the OP saying the man would have been a 'world icon' for crafting a crude internal combustion engine vehicle with cobbled parts.

Tell them the 2nd time.
People dont know there is such thing like backward Re-Engineering.I wish we could invest heavily on this as this is what China are doing.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by ziccoit: 12:59pm On Mar 04, 2012
Let's get started where the world has reached now. No one will patronize a product developed in 10th century that has been forgotten in a museum in 21st century. While the rest of the world is moving forward, Nigeria is moving backward at high speed.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by mansmith(m): 1:40pm On Mar 04, 2012
honestly,i think the guy was more of a politician than an engineer.bc after z600,he was contesting to be governor of imo state
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by erico2k2(m): 1:44pm On Mar 04, 2012
man smith:

honestly,i think the guy was more of a politician than an engineer.bc after z600,he was contesting to be governor of imo state
there goes your answer lol Greed
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by supereagle(m): 9:50pm On Mar 04, 2012
man smith:

I saw the car when it was lunched at Dan Anyim Stadium by Mr Diya. The man is just interested in becoming Imo Gov . and notting more. He is a Polictian, a real scientist is more in his lab.but a politician stays more on the field of polictics.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by ikeyman00(m): 10:05pm On Mar 04, 2012
@@@@

and still on it!!

nigerians should learn and embrace the igbo spirit!!!

for the betterment of our country

bad belle can only destroy i think

my 1 naira
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by igbo2011(m): 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2012
They need to team up with Innoson so we can have a car 100% made in Nigeria. THis will develop the car industry and have us competing world wide in a couple of years.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by velo10: 11:14pm On Mar 04, 2012
The South-east is blessed with a lot of innovators, however the environment kills their innovation.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by obua: 8:42am On Mar 05, 2012
The car was a political car. Just meant to boost his campaign .
A real auto producer will not go the way Izuogu went about the car.
Izuogu did not have the resources  to buy the kind of equipment for car production.
Producing engines locally is not cost effective due to volume issues
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by member479760: 9:48am On Mar 05, 2012
Building a traditional car is not a new technology, the man never invented anything to deserve any praise. get the piece of metal mold it, cut it add the shit together put gas the shit will move.
Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by ikeyman00(m): 12:36am On Mar 07, 2012
^^^^

only a fool will write such jargon!!

wonder what goes on in the brain lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Izuogu Automobile by Penthus: 6:59pm On May 11, 2013
I am keen in knowing what happened to Z-motors and I have tried contacting him on facebook to hear from the horse mouth. I think there is one big iusse all of you must understand irrespective of our personal meanings and ideas. Z-motors product Z-600 is a fabulous creation and development. It is not a new ideas but a trial to develop what was going on in Biafra when the whole world supported Nigerians to kill all the easterners.
We also realized that war is the root to inventions, and that Eastern Nigeria which bore the brunt of the wars has a lot to give to Nigeria as well as make the nation proud. The weaponolog aspects have not yet surfaced. That Z-600 is crude is nonsense. ruthless and single minded of the writer. After all it was this crude inventions that saved Biafra from total annihilation. please praise Z-motors for raw ideas which can be improved over time. GM, Hyundai , Mercedes Benz, BMW all started in the same way. Has anybody seen their prototypes?. Is Z-600 not better than theirs.?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Servicing My Injector Nozzles / Insearch Of Diagnostic Tool With ECU Programming(J2534 Flashing)capability In PH / This Cheap GPS Tracker Might Interest You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.