Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,975 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

The Prophecies In The Book(s) Of Revelations. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Prophecies In The Book(s) Of Revelations. (1124 Views)

BIBLE Study(understanding the prophecies concerning Christ and salvation) / 2014 Prophecies By Dr. DK Olukoya Of MFM / 2014 Prophecies By Pastor Adeboye (RCCG) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Prophecies In The Book(s) Of Revelations. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 03, 2012
The Book of Revelation is the strangest book in the Bible, and the most controversial. Instead of stories and moral teaching, it offers only visions—dreams and nightmares, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, earthquakes, plagues and war. In the climactic battle scene, Jesus appears as a divine warrior, Satan is thrown into a pit, and all humans who had died faithful to God reign over the earth for 1,000 years.
The author, John of Patmos, was a Jewish prophet and a follower of Jesus who probably began to write around the year 90 after fleeing a war that had ravaged his homeland, Judea. But his Book of Revelation wasn't unique. At the time, countless others—Jews, pagans and Christians—produced a flood of "books of revelation," claiming to reveal divine secrets. Some have been known for centuries; about 20 others were found in Nag Hammadi, Egypt, in 1945.

The Revelation of Zostrianos, found in 1945, tells how the young author, tormented by questions and overwhelmed by depression, walked alone into the desert. Finding no place "to rest my spirit," Zostrianos says he had resolved to kill himself. But he says that suddenly he became aware of a being radiating light, who "said to me, 'Zostrianos…have you gone mad?' "[/b]This divine presence, Zostrianos says, released him from despair and offered illumination. Then, Zostrianos says, [b]"I realized that the power in me was greater than the darkness, because it contained the whole light."

The Secret Revelation of John opens, again, in crisis. The disciple John, grieving Jesus' death, is walking toward the temple when he meets a Pharisee who mocks him for having been deceived by a false messiah. These taunts echoed John's own fear and doubt. Devastated, John turns away from the temple and heads toward the desert, where, he says, "I grieved greatly in my heart."

Suddenly, he says, he saw brilliant light as the heavens opened, and the earth shook beneath his feet. Terrified, John says he saw a luminous presence that kept changing form, and then heard Jesus' voice: "John, John, why do you doubt, and why are you afraid?…I am the one who is with you always. I am the Father; I am the Mother; I am the Son."

Throughout the ages, Christians have adapted John of Patmos's visions to changing times, reading their own social, political and religious conflicts into the cosmic war he so powerfully evokes. Yet his Book of Revelation appeals not only to fear and desires for vengeance but also to hope. As John tells how the chaotic events of the world are finally set right by divine judgment, those who engage his visions often see them offering moral meaning in times of suffering or apparently random catastrophe. Many poets, artists and preachers have claimed to find in these prophecies the promise, famously repeated by Martin Luther King Jr., that "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Excerpted from "Revelations: Visions, Prophecy and Politics in the Book of Revelation," to be published by Viking Tuesday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203753704577253611876502848.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLE_Video_second
Re: The Prophecies In The Book(s) Of Revelations. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 21, 2012
Bumped for Buzugee/Obadiah to tackle...

(1) (Reply)

Wofbi Help / What Has Nigerian Pastors Done Since The Lagos Plane Crash Happened? / Homosexualism As An Hermaphrodite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.