Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,298 members, 7,811,889 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of (1224 Views)

Awolowo Asked Ojukwu To Be Open And Forthright . But Ojukwu Was Trying To Do Wuru Wuru Backroom Deals / Ojukwu Was Forced To Defend His People, Says Tinubu / In London, Ojukwu Was Lonely, Dumb – Igwe Nwokedi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by oduasolja: 6:12pm On Mar 03, 2012
With the troops of Eastern Region back in Enugu and the non-Eastern troops withdrawn from there, with Nigerians of non-Eastern origin driven out of the East in their own interest, and with Easterners at home and abroad returning home with news of Nigerian's brutality against them, and with the oil flowing in the Eastern Region, the way was now open for the implementation of the secession.  The East and the North began a virulent of words through their radios and newspapers.  Early in 1967, a peace negotiating meeting of the Supreme Military Council of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Eastern Region Military Governor, Lt. Col. Ojukwu was called under the auspices of Gen. Ankrah of Ghana in Aburi, Ghana.  As it turned out, all the other members of the council except Ojukwu were either too thrusting, too naive or too ill - prepared for the meeting.  Therefore Ojukwu scored a vital goal in his ambition.

Walter Schwarz remarked :  "Ojukwu got his way with little effort, by being the cleverest.  He was the only one who understood the issue. Step by step the others came to acquiesce in the logic of Ojukwu's basic thesis - that to stay together at all,  the regions had first to draw apart.  Only Ojukwu understood that this meant, in effect, a sovereign Biafra (Eastern Region) and the end of the Federation."  (6:18)        Different versions of what happened in Aburi were released by Ojukwu in the East and by the Federal Military Government in Lagos. Ojukwu accused the Federal Government of bad faith and going back on promises.  The Federal Government accused Ojukwu of distortion and half truths.  After several meetings amongst the Federal and Regional officials, what amounted to the demise of the Federation was promulgated in decree No. 8 of 17 March 1967 in a desperate effort to implement the Aburi decisions and to avoid further stalemate and possible civil war. Not surprisingly, Ojukwu completely rejected Decree No. 8 as falling short of full implementation of Aburi decisions.  The die was cast.  All efforts to intervene by eminent Nigerians and well - wishers to Nigeria like Gen. Ankrah,  late Emperor Hallie Selassie of Ethiopia and the late Dr Martin Luther King proved abortive.

The flurry of conciliatory meetings achieved nothing.  Gen. Obasanjo remarked:  "Ojukwu was adamant, obstinate and obdurate.  He refused to attend the Supreme Military Government meeting called in March in Benin city, Nigeria to discuss outstanding issues and deliberate on the budget for the coming fiscal year.  If he could not achieve his long cherished ambition of ruling an independent Nigeria, he could break it up and rule an  independent and sovereign "Biafra."   Nothing could stop him." (5:10) As early as 7 June 1966, after the May incident in the North, Ojukwu was quoted as saying:   We are finished with the Federation.  It is all a question of time."  (5:11)
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Osiris212(f): 6:21pm On Mar 03, 2012
Greedy bastarrd!

oduasolja:

The flurry of conciliatory meetings achieved nothing. Gen. Obasanjo remarked: "Ojukwu was adamant, obstinate and obdurate. He refused to attend the Supreme Military Government meeting called in March in Benin city, Nigeria to discuss outstanding issues and deliberate on the budget for the coming fiscal year. If he could not achieve his long cherished ambition of ruling an independent Nigeria, he could break it up and rule an independent and sovereign "Biafra." Nothing could stop him." (5:10) As early as 7 June 1966, after the May incident in the North, Ojukwu was quoted as saying: We are finished with the Federation. It is all a question of time." (5:11)
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Igwe9(m): 6:26pm On Mar 03, 2012
Osiris.212:

Greedy bastarrd!

you just got ban, thank God I  can start seeing my Yoruba friends as friends not as orisirisi again
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Osiris212(f): 6:29pm On Mar 03, 2012
Stop stalking me around.

Igwe.:

you just got ban, thank God I  can start seeing my Yoruba friends as friends not as orisirisi again

[img]http://3.bp..com/-U3Xuu8lb43E/Tv6tBt14t0I/AAAAAAAABMc/_msTBgglP7I/s1600/459648867_nofools_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg[/img]
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Igwe9(m): 6:36pm On Mar 03, 2012
Osiris.212:

Stop stalking me around.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-U3Xuu8lb43E/Tv6tBt14t0I/AAAAAAAABMc/_msTBgglP7I/s1600/459648867_nofools_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg[/img]
stalk you? I know you don't like it . . . . . kiss
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by oduasolja: 6:44pm On Mar 03, 2012
Ojukwu seized the Federal Government property and funds in the East. He planned the hijacking of a National commercial aircraft Fokker 27 on a schedule flight from Benin to Lagos. All these and other signs and reports convinced the Federal Military Government of Ojukwu's intention to secede. Lt Col. Yakubu Gowon, the Head of Federal Government, imposed a total blockade of the East. It was realized that more stringent action had to be taken to weaken support for Ojukwu and to forestall his secession bid. Short of military action at that time, creation of States by decree was the only weapon ready to hand. The initial plan was to create States in the Eastern Region only. Such action was considered impolitic and fraught with danger. Eventually 12 States were created throughout the country on 27 May 1967.

The Eastern Region was divided into three states. The reaction from Enugu was sharp and quick: the declaration of Eastern Nigeria as the independent sovereign state of "Biafra" on 30 May 1967. The month of June was used by both sides to prepare for war. Each side increased its military arsenal and moved troops to the border watching and waiting until the crack of the first bullet at the dawn of 6 July 1967 from the Federal side. The war had started and the dawn of a new history of Nigeria.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by okosodo: 7:22pm On Mar 03, 2012
As worthless as Ojukwu was to you , no nigerian wether living dead or yet to be born could achieve one tenth of what the earthquake achieved, Confirmed
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 03, 2012
okosodo:

As worthless as Ojukwu was to you , no nigerian wether living dead or yet to be born could achieve one tenth of what the earthquake achieved, Confirmed

Abge tell me what oju-iku achieve besides fighting for an ibo country ?
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by olabukola: 7:49pm On Mar 03, 2012
Why can't we start opening threads on people that matters. The number of threads dedicated to this man shows that he meant something to the thread starters. Focus your mind to something that will benefit you and not the once that will not benefit. If you like start truck load of thread that focused on negative part of his life you can't change the mind of his people so why border.

Seun i suggest to start charging money for new threads about Ojukwu.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by okosodo: 8:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Abge tell me what oju-iku achieve besides fighting for an ibo country  ?
he beat up his teacher whom he thought was discriminting his fellow student (a yoruba boy). He always speaks out genuinely against injustice no matter whom as involved.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 03, 2012
Rubbish talk, sometimes ℓ̊ feel threads are started with the hope it will grow long from useless arguments and facts that do not need to be proven.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 03, 2012
Rubbish talk, sometimes ℓ̊ feel threads are started with the hope it will grow long from useless arguments and facts that do not need to be proven.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 03, 2012
Re: Ojukwu Was A Callous Opportunist War Monger. Why Would Anyone Call Him A Man Of by BlackPikiN(m): 8:34pm On Mar 03, 2012
OP
See how Ojukwu is laughing at your stooopidity. Your compound f00lishness knows no bounds.

(1) (Reply)

The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media / Jonathan Consults With Tinubu, Fashola, Akiolu...2015? / Emeka Offor's Kaztec To Establish Pipeline Manufacturing Plant/others In N/delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.