Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

United States To Open Consulate In Kano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United States To Open Consulate In Kano (4864 Views)

States To Benefit From The N345b EU Fund / FG Not Responsible For Failure Of States To Pay Salaries / Safest Cities/states To Stay In Nigeria During The Coming Elections. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

United States To Open Consulate In Kano by auwal87(m): 8:50pm On Mar 05, 2012
U.S. Under-Secretary for Political Affairs, Amb. Wendy Sherman, says the US will open a consulate in Kano to further strengthen bilateral relations with Nigeria.

Sherman announced this on Monday in an interview with newsmen after a brief meeting in Abuja with the Minister of State, Foreign Affairs, Prof. Voila Onwulere. ``I am absolutely delighted to be here in Nigeria; the real focus of our deliberation is on the strength of our bilateral relations, as the U.S. and Nigeria are partners on Bi-National Commission (BNC). ``The Minister and I have discussed what we will do to ensure security, peace and democracy in Africa,’’ she said.

The embassy has an office in Lagos and also operates American Corner, a nationwide information service centre. Sherman said the additional consulate which would be opened in partnership with Nigeria, would further buttress the strength of bilateral relations between both nations.

According to her, the U.S. will continue to assist Nigeria to deal with its security challenges and support Nigeria in any way possible to deal with any threat. In her remark, Onwulere said the regular visits of top U.S. officials to the country in recent times were evidences of the cordial relations both nations enjoyed. ``There hasn’t been a time that our bilateral relations are stronger than this; it takes countries with similar ideas to come together for a common cause. ``This visit underscores the strength of those relations, and we also exchanged messages from our presidents. ``We talked about key position of Jonathan’s Transformation Agenda, so these visits signal greater things to come not just in Nigeria but globally,’’ Onwulere said. The BNC was established in 2010 to among other things promote good governance, regional security and tackle corruption.

Source
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Sunofgod(m): 8:56pm On Mar 05, 2012
C.I.A - Your Welcome - cheesy

(Expect Cocaine exports to quadruple from Nigeria)
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by muyoto: 9:37pm On Mar 05, 2012
really?
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by auwal87(m): 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^ Really!
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by swisscash(m): 9:49pm On Mar 05, 2012
I thought there is onne dia already!
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by ak47mann(m): 9:54pm On Mar 05, 2012
New Guantanamo cool cool cool
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by auwal87(m): 10:02pm On Mar 05, 2012
ak47mann:

New Guantanamo cool cool cool

How is it going to a new Guantanamo?

swisscash:

I thought there is onne dia already!

Wala, it means 'it doesn't exist' in Fulani language.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by konami001: 9:18am On Mar 06, 2012
hahaha, they want to have direct access to control Boko Haram, This one nor be matter of cocaine, na matter of oyel o, My people make una brace una self to see drones now ooooo,
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by babsjnr(m): 9:27am On Mar 06, 2012
Us is up 2 something
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by legendsilver(m): 9:28am On Mar 06, 2012
up gunners, we go win for sure
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by lifestyle1(m): 9:28am On Mar 06, 2012
I smell something fishy. undecided
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Okijajuju1(m): 9:30am On Mar 06, 2012
I would have thought that they would open one in Eastern Nigeria instead?!

Afterall, Igbos travel to obodo Oyibo more than any other tribe in Nigeria!! angry
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by GoldCircle: 9:33am On Mar 06, 2012
saw this on the tv last nite and i shook my head!  i just think the timing is wrong! Or do they want just the same treatment as their consulates (and military bases) are facing in the middle east?
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by chuks49(m): 9:56am On Mar 06, 2012
Good development, i pray they set up Bagram Style Prison in Kano for BH boiz.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by freshcvv(m): 10:01am On Mar 06, 2012
Simple LOGIC, they are preparing for the 2015 break up which is likely going to make Kano the capital of the new northern Nigeria.

Wake up guys, CIA script for the 2015 dis-integration is working pretty well.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Lasinoh: 10:03am On Mar 06, 2012
This is good news.
It shows the US will rather deal with the Northern parts of Nigeria than venture into the South.
Kudos USA. kiss
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Nobody: 10:13am On Mar 06, 2012
Lasinoh:

This is good news.
It shows the US will rather deal with the Northern parts of Nigeria than venture into the South.
Kudos USA. kiss
Olodo!
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 06, 2012
American consulate in kano is a military base in disguise since boko rams have links with alquaeda.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by shilling(f): 10:18am On Mar 06, 2012
Something fishy going on.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 06, 2012
Make una leave us alone !
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Lasinoh: 10:22am On Mar 06, 2012
olas2u:

Olodo!

YOUR FADA! kiss
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 06, 2012
Lasinoh:

YOUR FADA! kiss
Olodo,block head,with all the information avaliable,maga
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by nagoma(m): 10:30am On Mar 06, 2012
Would you ever imagine the US opening a consular office In Aba or in Onitsha? Some will die for America , will kill themselves in desperation to go to America but America is desperately trying to gain the affection of the ones who don't care about America . That's life.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by ektbear: 10:36am On Mar 06, 2012
nagoma:

Would you ever imagine the US opening a consular office In Aba or in Onitsha? Some will die for America , will kill themselves in desperation to go to America  but America is desperately trying to gain the affection of the ones who don't care about America . That's life.

lmao

"gain the affection"?

If your thinking is typical of Northern elites, ya'll are fvcked.

The consulate in this particular case is to assist the Nigerian FG to control a situation that appears to be spiraling out of hand.

They bear you no particular love. . . just don't want the cart (Nigeria) to be upset and knocked over.

Comparable to the British colonialists opening an outpost somewhere. . .
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by ektbear: 10:42am On Mar 06, 2012
It is like someone fitting a bridle for a horse he wants to break, and the horse thinking that the bridle is a sign of affection rather than control grin

lmao
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by Lasinoh: 10:45am On Mar 06, 2012
olas2u:

Olodo,block head,with all the information avaliable,maga

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/action-profile/u-494472/sa-showPosts/start-1152

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/action-profile/u-494472/sa-showPosts/start-1440

You have come again abi?
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by namfav(m): 10:51am On Mar 06, 2012
thanks for your concerns but no americans in are land, please, give them a platform and they will start to make there own rules within months, they will bring in security contractors to guard them who will act above the laws, they can stay in america, or somewhere else
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by SamMilla1(m): 10:51am On Mar 06, 2012
Yea they made a similar announcement in north east pakistan only to build drone conttrol center. Its a welcomed development anyway. I am sure jonathan already knows what they want to build.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by nagoma(m): 10:58am On Mar 06, 2012
@ekt bear

It is like someone fitting a bridle for a horse he wants to break, and the horse thinking that the bridle is a sign of affection rather than control

And what do you know about horses? If you had horses in the rain forest you would just eat them and make gbomo with their skin.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by ektbear: 11:05am On Mar 06, 2012
nagoma:

@ekt bear

And what do you know about horses? If you had horses in the rain forest you would just eat them and make gbomo with their skin.

Hehe cheesy

I did not grow up in a rain forest region, though.

Though at this point, my ancestral town and the environs can probably accommodate horses.
Re: United States To Open Consulate In Kano by ITbomb(m): 11:13am On Mar 06, 2012
so it is true that Nigeria is gonna break up, when are they opening in Enugu?

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019 Presidency: APC Need No Violence To Win - Tinubu To Opposition / BREAKING!!! Dino Melaye Passes Night On The Floor At DSS & This Happened(Photos) / How Peter Obi Looks Like With Artificial Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.