Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens (10716 Views)

The Nigeria Immigration Deports 6 British Citizens / Nigeria Deports 56 More South Africans -- More To Follow / Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Diplomatic Row Deepens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Nobody: 3:18am On Mar 06, 2012
Fed Govt demands review of Yellow Fever certificate policy
NIGERIA hit back at South Africa last night.

Twenty-eight South Africans were denied entry into Lagos – a Bosom for tat that has deepened the row between the two countries.
South Africa last Friday deported 125 Nigerians from the Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johanesburg after denying them entry into the country for allegedly possessing fake yellow fever certificates. The Federal Government frowned at the action.
The 28 passengers flew into the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos aboard a South African Airways flight at about 9.30pm.
They were expected to be deported last night or this morning.
A source said: "The Federal Government decided to deny these 28 South Africans entry because of invalid documents and relevant health certificate clearance.
"We are also deporting them back to South Africa. The Presidency has been notified of this action.
"We will no longer overlook certain procedures which we have condoned in the spirit of African brotherhood."
Earlier yesterday, Nigeria had threatened to retaliate South Africa’s maltreatment of Nigerians.
Interior Minister Albo Moro said: "I want to assure you on one thing. The Federal Government has the capacity to reciprocate appropriately if it is found that (the deportation) was not done in good faith."
He added: "At the moment, Nigeria maintains a very cordial diplomatic relations with South Africa and I can assure you that we will react appropriately if it is found that South Africa has taken unfriendly action against Nigeria.
Moro spoke to reporters at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
Also yesterday, the Federal Government summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Kingsley Mambolo.
Besides, the House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs asked the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Olugbenga Ashiru, to appear before it today to clarify Nigeria’s relationship with other African countries.
The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on the Diaspora Affairs, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, asked the Federal Government to apply the principle of reciprocity in dealing with South Africa.
Mambolo was at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to explain why South Africa maltreated Nigerian travellers last Friday.
According to sources, when he got to the Ministry at about 3pm, Mambolo was asked to see the Permanent Secretary, Ambassador Martin Uhomoibhi, instead of the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
A source, who spoke in confidence, said: "When the South African High Commissioner got to the Ministry, the Permanent Secretary was directed to ask him to explain why 125 Nigerians were deported without diplomatic courtesy.
"He spent about an hour interacting with the Permanent Secretary, but Nigeria was not convinced about the explanation given by South Africa.
"We are demanding unreserved apology from South Africa for this ill-treatment of Nigerian travellers or else, we will take more drastic actions."
Ashiru confirmed the invitation of the High Commissioner but he declined further comments.
The Minister is to appear before the House Committee today to clarify Nigeria’ relationship with its African countries.
The Chairman of the Committee, Hon. Nnenna Elendu-Ukeje, said it was disturbed by the series of negative attacks on Nigerians and its embassies, especially in the sub region.
Elendu-Ukeje recalled the recent lock-up of some Nigerians in Togo without any explanation to the Nigerian government.
She said: "We are indeed worried about all these indignation and scorn Nigerians are subjected to all over the world, especially by sister African nations. This calls for a review of our relationship with these countries.
"So, we have invited the Minister of Foreign Affairs to a meeting on Tuesday to come and explain to us, our relationship with these countries and why Nigerians are being subjected to ridicule all over the world," she said.
To Mrs Dabiri-Erewa, the illegal deportation of 125 Nigerians by the South African government is "inhuman".
In a statement in Abuja, she faulted the "continuous unwarranted hostilities against Nigerians by the South Africa government".
She said: "It is pathetic that 125 Nigerians, the highest so far, which include women and children, were delayed for 24 hours without water and food in an inhuman condition before being bundled back to Nigeria".
"Do Nigeria ask South Africans to fill Yellow card when coming to Nigeria? Even then, passengers must have passed through this process while applying for visa in the Embassy. Why treat Nigerians with scorn and indignation. This is really appalling.
"Is this the way to pay Nigeria back with their kind gesture? This is unfair and un-African."
Mrs Dabiri-Erewa also recalled how South African businesses, such as MTN and Multi-Choice – owner of DSTV - among others, are thriving in Nigeria better than any part of Africa without any form of molestation from Nigerian government.
The lawmaker recalled how the South African government stopped charging Nigerians deportation fees when Nigeria Embassy in South Africa under the High Commissioner Mohammed Marwa introduced it.
She said: "I call on the Federal Government to protect her citizens by applying the law of reciprocity to South Africans coming to Nigeria by introducing the same stringent treatment meted to Nigerians going to South Africa."
Speaking on Nigeria’s Porous border, Moro said: "It is unfair to say that we don’t know the category of persons that enter Nigeria. Nigeria, like any other big country, has this problem of border porousity. I agree with you that Nigeria’s border as vast as it is, is porous to some extent but that is not to say that we don’t know the category of people that enter Nigeria."

http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/1011-nigeria-deports-28-south-africans-as-diplomatic-row-deepens
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by bittyend(m): 3:49am On Mar 06, 2012
I laugh in xhosa!!!

How about deporting Americans, Europeans and Chinese, huh??
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Obiagu1(m): 4:17am On Mar 06, 2012
Good one. I think this is a first.

Start caring for your people, Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by ektbear: 4:20am On Mar 06, 2012
mcgman025:

Mrs Dabiri-Erewa also recalled how South African businesses, such as MTN and Multi-Choice – owner of DSTV - among others, are thriving in Nigeria better than any part of Africa without any form of molestation from Nigerian government.

What exactly is her point? Isn't it the ordinary course of affairs not to molest private businesses, assuming that they are compliant with the law?
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Jellita: 4:32am On Mar 06, 2012
a Bosom for tat

grin
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Nobody: 4:59am On Mar 06, 2012
mehn, I heard south africans dont like Nigerians lol abeg Nigeria shouldnt try this with america, I love my life here abeg grin

but its good to care for your citizen tho sad
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by ektbear: 5:04am On Mar 06, 2012
Toaskarity:

mehn, I heard south africans dont like Nigerians lol abeg Nigeria shouldnt try this with america, I love my life here abeg grin

but its good to care for your citizen tho sad
hehehe grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by dasparrow: 5:33am On Mar 06, 2012
@Post
I am loving this. Nigeria should start by sending MTN and other South African businesses packing because the best way to get back at them is to hit them where it hurts most: their wallet! After that, Nigeria should stick to her promise of reciprocity. In other words, treat South Africans the same way they treat Nigerians. It is obvious that there is no brotherly love and unity amongst Africans or the human race for that matter so it best that everyone watches their back since people around the world do not need much reason to hate each other these days.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by ibrokay(m): 6:24am On Mar 06, 2012
That is a good one. It serves them right.
Hope they will learn from this.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Kx: 9:21am On Mar 06, 2012
Hm, high time something was done about MTN and DSTV?
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by chux76(m): 9:23am On Mar 06, 2012
Just 28 angry GEJ u yab!!,find as many as you can and deport 'em all.  Imagine people that we helped get out of SLAVERY now wants 2 form apkako, we go knack akpako 4 dem head. Foolish Zulus. All South Africans living in Nija should be subjected to rigorous AIDS screening. That country is AIDS infested and infected.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by GoldCircle: 9:33am On Mar 06, 2012
i hear with this deportation of 28, a wild flu has been spreading fast at MTN, Dstv Nigeria and Shoprite! their executives have been sneezing uncontrollably since they got wind of this info! grin
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by baslone: 9:37am On Mar 06, 2012
MTN- don't care, i'll survive

DSTV- then my television is useless!!!
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by gegee(m): 9:39am On Mar 06, 2012
abeg o make dem no do the one sa govt go come deport ma guy for there o!! shocked
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Standing5(m): 9:51am On Mar 06, 2012
For a country that depends on experts for virtually all its industrialized sectors, i don't deporting foreigners indiscriminately is the best. What happens when we have a row with, say, Britain or Italy?
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Machini(m): 9:55am On Mar 06, 2012
For d first time in a very long time, I think I can say this: "I am so proud of my Fatherland"
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by chuksonu(m): 10:05am On Mar 06, 2012
Come to think of it,HIV\AIDS and Yellow fever which is deadliest?.Nigeria should make it mandatory for any South African visiting the country to produce ,no to undergo A HIV test At the point of arrival in Nigeria.Before he\she will be allowed into the country.Or Demand that they send their blood sample together with their application for screening.This is the best news I have read about Nigerian government for long time now.Next should be the Chinese then the Indians.If we treat them back the way they treats our citizens in their countries,their people back home  will also read it in the news and will realize that whatever treatment they melted at Nigerians will be reciprocated to them too.Most of the people in these countries don,t even know that they have many of their citizens working and living large in Nigeria whereas they only allow Nigerians to live in the worst places and areas in their countries with constant molestation and exploitation by their rogue police.More than 40,000 Indians are living and working in Nigeria today whereas there are not up to 10,000 Nigerians in India.Yet they maltreat Nigerians too much.There are some night clubs where Nigerians are not allowed entry.Can will do the same to them in Nigeria?.They live large and in the best places like G,RA'S Ikoyi,V,I.They will never allow you to live in nice place in their country even if you can afford to pay for the rent.They will tell you that you are not permitted to live there.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Nonybb: 10:08am On Mar 06, 2012
gegee:

abeg o make dem no do the one sa govt go come deport ma guy for there o!! shocked
i knw wat nigerian govt are trying to do here, esp when some nationalities step on there toes but believe me these idiotic so called govt are nt doing this sham because they love us, they are merely trying to satisfy there egocentric minded atitude. This is typical of nigerian character when they are abused collectively as a nation, but sincerely dat doesnt in anyway show the same zeal and urgeness to work for national development. They didnt reciprocate becos they love those 125 deportees, they are up against sa becos these hungry-cowardly-corrupted politics doin it to satisfy there taste for power on african soil. I didnt wanna comment but it had became very ostensible hw ppl had become euphoric due to this latest development and hw our fellow sa would thought we are actually been well taken care off
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by PeeBee: 10:11am On Mar 06, 2012
When two elephants fight . . .
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Machini(m): 10:12am On Mar 06, 2012
@Standing5: Experts my foot. We r d ones dat make these manchies feel so "expertish". True Story: There is dis Multi-national coy in lagos, whenever any of their machines broke down they wuld fly a so-called "expert" from Tottenham to Nigeria to fix it. Until d guy arrives nobody is allowed to touch d machine. They wuld take care of all his expenses, and @ d end pay him millions of naira for doing only God knows what. There ws dis time their machine broke down and d "expert" wasnt free @ dat moment to com down to Nigeria. Normally, nobody is allowed to touch d machine but a "non-expert" Naija Engineer, afta plenty plenty tok and begging, ws finally allowed to try and c if he can fix it. Guess wat? You alredy know d end of d story. So most times we just deplete our foriegn exchange all in d name of bringing in "Experts"! While we can do it ourselves.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by ocelot2006(m): 10:17am On Mar 06, 2012
All visiting South Africans must possess a "HIV Free" card. fail to get one, and the Nigerian Immigration Service will deport them so fast
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by ayusman16(m): 10:18am On Mar 06, 2012
dasparrow:

@Post
I am loving this. Nigeria should start by sending MTN and other South African businesses packing because the best way to get back at them is to hit them where it hurts most: their wallet! After that, Nigeria should stick to her promise of reciprocity. In other words, treat South Africans the same way they treat Nigerians. It is obvious that there is no brotherly love and unity amongst Africans or the human race for that matter so it best that everyone watches their back since people around the world do not need much reason to hate each other these days.

See your level of thinking? It seems senselessness has overshadowed your reasoning. So what will be your achievement if they are kicked out? Oboy you are childish like most Nairalanders making comments here.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 06, 2012
Yes. They must also provide a mental fitness certificate to make sure they aren't mad. If not, immigration depot them.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Fyngal1(f): 10:20am On Mar 06, 2012
For a country that depends on experts for virtually all its industrialized sectors, i don't deporting foreigners indiscriminately is the best. What happens when we have a row with, say, Britain or Italy?

C.O.W.A.R.D!
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by gigabytes: 10:21am On Mar 06, 2012
Thank God that my beloved Nigeria has woken up from slumber since 1914. More to come. Watchout and other countries beware, your business thrives in Nigeria without molestation.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by shilling(f): 10:22am On Mar 06, 2012
Serves SA right.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by dustydee: 10:22am On Mar 06, 2012
Jellita:

a Bosom for tat  grin
you are very observant.  grin  grin  grin
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by spicyhoney(f): 10:27am On Mar 06, 2012
A good move by the FG but 28 is a small number. South Africans are just a bunch of insecure f ools, their hatred for other Africans is so unreasonable. Abeg, let FG make them do HIV/AIDS test at the point of entry like someone suggested, let them feel the heat from us too.
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by HOLYFIRE: 10:30am On Mar 06, 2012
TRUST NIGERIA. THIS IS YHE BEGINING
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by onyewec3: 10:32am On Mar 06, 2012
Good one, if not for anything I love this administration for this tit-for-tat approach, first it was brittish airways, now south african dat we spent a lot to assist dem during the apartheid period. Dey shuld av atleast thought of dat singular good we did for them, govt shuld come to apapa because we av a lot of indians roaming dere witout valid residence permit, good one GEJ and his team
Re: Nigeria Deports 28 South Africans As Row Deepens by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 06, 2012
In the midst of all our accusations and counter accusations coupled with chest beating and all what not, it is also right that we also tell our citizens living in SA to reduce their level of criminality. I heard these our countrymen are all over the news for all sorts of vices over there, from drug peddling to prostitution, keeping prostitutes and forced enslavement. I have seen these things on YouTube and it is disgusting and embarrassing that these are our fellow country people indulging in these heinous crimes.

Why are citizens of other countries not being deported, why is it always Nigerians? Why have certain Nigerians decided to flood SA with their population to the detriment of that country. No country would sit around and watch it's integrity eroded away by bunch of criminals from another country, just take a look at Malaysia now. So i support SA in this after all, it is not like they have deported all Nigerians living there. There must be a reason those guys were deported going from the way i see Nigerians move around with fake documents from fake university certificates that they can't defend to fake travel documents issued by some ghost workers in the ministries.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abuja begins installation of Surveillance cameras to curb insecurity. Video / Why Is It Difficult To Return Home? / FG Approves Upgrade Of Benin Airport To Int’l Standard With Cargo Terminal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.