Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? (829 Views)

Small Scale Business Venture That Can Fetch At Least N2000 Daily. / How Do You Go About Registering Ajoint Venture With A Foreign Partner / How To Register Business Venture With Cac (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? by Ndipe(m): 2:50am On Oct 26, 2007
Relationships between family members can get tested when money is involved, though it can also strengthen the bond between family members. The resulting repercussions of a crumbling business empire can descend into a family feud, hostilities and vendeta that can destory the familial bonds held dearly in our African society. Hence, some family members can be very reluctant to get involved in a business relationship. Even those who form a business venture with one another could choose to forsake the alluring effects of money for the sake of unity. With this in mind, some folks may choose to form a business venture with strangers or friends. But then again, the truth is that if a stranger dupes you, the pain/betrayal may not be as aggravating/severe as being betrayed by a family member. So, if you have an idea that is a potential hit in the market, would you form a business alliance with a family member, or with a trust worthy friend?
Re: Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? by iice(f): 3:52am On Oct 26, 2007
My brothers and sister are the only family members (aside from parents)i trust with anything. Them and a few other friends are those i would go into business with. Money can bring out the worse in people. . .i have seen it time and time again.

1 Like

Re: Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? by denobleman(m): 6:52pm On Oct 27, 2007
Yes,money brings out the worst in people but the problem is more compounded if it's a close relation because I can't start a debt recovery proceeding against him/her.
In a nut shell,the answer to you question is NO!!! due to reason stated above and host of other reasons which you as well other nairalanders can give.
Re: Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? by niyyie(m): 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2007
As of today, I am not willing to go into a business venture with a member of my family. I dont know about tomorrow.
Re: Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? by Kaestro(m): 4:39pm On Oct 29, 2007
denobleman:

Yes,money brings out the worst in people but the problem is more compounded if it's a close relation because I can't start a debt recovery proceeding against him/her.
In a nut shell,the answer to you question is NO!!! due to reason stated above and host of other reasons which you as well other nairalanders can give.
Having said that,I think it is worth considering what business one is delving into when family members are involved.In a case where only a family member has access or more insight into a particular field of investment one would be inclined to deal with that person rather than a friend who knows less about that line of work.
Both options should obviously be measured carefully as both have there positive and negative attributes.It all borders around what line of business,what part each party is playing and basically the intensity of the relationship.
In my opinion, money truly brings out the worst in "us" humans but we are still left with such emotions like trust,belief,respect,Love,tolerance which is highly essential in ensuring the success any form of business/investment.
This qualities can be exhibited by anyone,friends or families.Therefore I could swing either way when it comes to who to trust.
Nuff said.

@denobleman: What makes you think you can't be on the otherside of things,i.e "The down runner"
Re: Would You Form A Business Venture With A Close Family Member? by Ndipe(m): 10:23am On Jan 03
So blood is not as thick as money contrary to the adage, "blood is thicker than water?"

(1) (Reply)

Tetrazzini Pp Offer Is On. / Be Your Brother's Keeper:i Need Guide On How To Write A Business Plan / Charcoal Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.