Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,871 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Job Interview Tips - Urgent - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Interview Tips - Urgent (2785 Views)

Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. / PZ Cussons Group Interview Tips (URGENT!!!) / Uba Interview Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Interview Tips - Urgent by nawah(f): 12:20pm On Mar 23, 2006
I have this interview with an American company and I really need some tips.
What questions to expect etc.
In Germany it is all stiff- necked and very formalbut I get the impression that I have to go about this interview differently.
This is urgent the intervie is tomorrow.
Do I address them by first names,?
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by LoverBwoy(m): 6:07pm On Mar 23, 2006
Before your interview find out everything you can about the company (read their annual report which can be obtained by telephoning them). Re-read your application, thinking through your own career and the questions they might ask you. You should try to anticipate the general questions which they will ask and also prepare some questions to ask them.

To do well at the interview you will need to convince the interviewer you are technically qualified to do the job. You will also need to show that you are sufficiently motivated to get the job done well and that you will fit in with the company's organisational structure and the team in which you will work.

You should dress smartly for the interview and should leave home earlier than you need to on the day of the interview - you may be delayed by traffic or for other reasons. Be courteous to all employees of the company. At the interview itself you must be positive about yourself and your abilities - but do not waffle.

u can find tips on the net, hope u havent left it too late

don't call the by their first names except they say that during introduction

smile  grin

don't panic , don't blow grammar  cool

GOODLUCK wink
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by LoverBwoy(m): 6:16pm On Mar 23, 2006
Why do you want this job?
Think carefully about this question. Stress the positive aspects which have attracted you to applying for this position. Do not mention the negative aspects of your current job or the job in question.

What qualities do you think will be required for this job?[/b]Their advertisement for the job may help you a little bit, but you should also think of the other qualities that may be required. These may include leadership ability, supervisory skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, problem solving, analytical skills, etc.

[b]What can you contribute?

This is your chance to shine. Tell them about your achievements in your previous position(s) which are relevant to the new position you are applying for.

Why do you want to work for this company?
Emphasize the positive reasons why you want to join their company, but avoid aspects such as more money or shorter hours. These would not endear you to a prospective employer.

What do you know about this company?
This is your chance to impress the interviewer with your knowledge of their company. Give them a run down of their products/services, sales figures, news, company figures, customers, etc.

What interests you about our product (or service)?
Again, your research into the company should aid you in answering this question.

What can we (the new company) offer that your previous company cannot offer?
Tread carefully here! Again do not mention money. Stress opportunities for personal growth, new challenges, etc.

dont mumble through ur answers wink
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by nawah(f): 9:23pm On Mar 23, 2006
´Thanks guys,all I neednowis a little luck.
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by richolly(m): 12:33am On Mar 24, 2006
@LoverBwoy
you are a wonderful fellow. thanx for helping out. i dont think anybody can put it in a better way.

@nawah
wish you the best. we're looking forward to popping champagne with you
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by larger20(m): 1:28pm On Mar 24, 2006
I hate interviews, I dont wana go through another one soon
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by lexjuris: 2:45pm On Mar 24, 2006
If you get that job and need to travel to Africa, USA or outside Europe, please whisper to us your intentions
You never can say, We may be of good assistance to you.
Good luck to you,
check this out @
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-8944.0.html
grin grin grin
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by LoverBwoy(m): 3:26pm On Mar 24, 2006
You have not done this sort of job before. How will you cope/succeed?

Say that you are the sort of person who aims to succeed at everything you do and that you are very determined and will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Why should we employ you?

The answer to this question will be based on your previous experience and achievements which relate to the company. At the end you could add that you think there is a good fit between you and the job, and do ask the interviewer for their opinion.

How long do you think it would be before you were making a significant contribution to the team/company?

If you think that you could contribute from day one then say so. Then turn the question round on them and say how soon would they expect it.

How ambitious are you? Would you compete for my job?
Depending on the position you are applying for you may want to sound fairly ambitious, but do not look as if you are after the interviewer's position.

What do you like and dislike about the job we are discussing?
Likes: stress things such as a new challenge or the opportunity to bring fresh experience to the company. Dislikes: Imply there is nothing to dislike about the job, which is why you are so interested.

Why did you choose a career in …?
Be positive about your reasons. If you have changed careers make a logical argument as to why you did so.

Why are you changing careers?
This question will only be asked if you are making a radical change in your career. Always stress the positive aspects of the change rather than the negative aspects of your previous career - you do not want to come across as someone who is moving just because you hate your old career. Say why you think you will be good in the new career - this should come from your experience and achievements, stress the transferable skills you have, such as leadership ability, etc.

How much does your last job resemble the one you are applying for? What are the differences?
The interviewer is trying to see how well you would fit in to the position you are applying for. So you should stress the similarities rather than the differences. When it comes to discussing the differences it will help your case if you can show that either you have done something similar in the past or that you can quickly pick up the new skills.

What do you think of the last company you worked for?
You should stress the positive aspects of your last company saying that they were a good company to work for. Tell them about the training you received or the work related experience you gained.

Why did you join your previous company? Did they live up to your expectations? Why are you leaving now?

Always be positive about your reasons for joining and leaving a company. Be very careful that you do not say anything negative about your present employer. If you do, the new company will wonder what you will say about them when you leave. You might want to stress that you are looking for a new challenge and that you feel that the company who is interviewing you fits the bill!

Explain the organisational structure in your last company and how you fitted into it?
This sort of question may be used to find out whether your old job is at a comparable level to your new job. If the new job being discussed would be a step up the ladder you will need to show that you are ready for a more demanding position. You may be able to show that you have already had many of the responsibilities and the necessary skills which would be required for the next step.
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by LoverBwoy(m): 3:34pm On Mar 24, 2006
  [center]    BODY LANGUAGE[/center]
When you are being interviewed it is very important that you give out the right signals. You should always look attentive - so do not slouch in your chair. Never lie to anyone in an interview, your body language and tone of voice or the words you use will probably give you away - classic body language giveaways include scratching your nose and not looking directly at the other person when you are speaking to them.

If you have a moustache you may want to consider shaving it off - people with moustaches can be perceived as being aggressive. You can always grow it again once you have got the job.

ps: alec.co.uk n some others
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by Rhodalyn(f): 3:42pm On Mar 24, 2006
* good facial expression
* be composed
*get all your stuffs neatly arranged
* arrive on time
*answer all questions clearly
*look directly in the eyes of your interviewer
*have a good body language
*ask questions after he's through with the interview but not tooo many questions
*make sure you know a good deal about what you're gonna be asked, research on it
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by Abeem(m): 6:26am On Mar 27, 2006
I am going through the interview process and I have done a lot of research on it.  I hope you find these contributions timely, but if not they will be useful to others in future.

Familiar questions posed by American recruiters:
Why should we hire you? Here is the chance to really sell yourself. You need to briefly and succinctly lay out your strengths, qualifications and what you can bring to the table.
Why do you want to work here? Your answer to this question will demonstrate to the recruiter that you have done your home work.  Before attending an interview, you need to research the company, to find out its mission, vision and the industry it plays.
What are your greatest weaknesses? Be honest about a weakness, but demonstrate how you have turned it into a strength.
What strength do you bring to this job You want to back up your answer with a concrete evidence. An example of a weak answer would be - I am a self starter and I can work without close supervision.  A strong answer would be - I am a self starter who can work without close supervision.  In my last job, I spent roughly two weeks of every month on the road.  I was responsible for organizing my own schedule, calling on customers, keeping records, and sending in reports to the home office.  In my most recent performance, my manager wrote that handled responsibility well without needing close supervision.  I have a copy of the evaluation form here if you will like to see it.
Why did you leave your last job? Even if your last job ended on a sad note, be careful about being negative in answering this question.  You want to be as displomatic as possible.  If you point out some negatives, also remember to say positive things as well.
Describe a problem situation and how you handled it? Sometimes it is difficult to come up with an answer to this type of question, especially if you are just coming out of college.  Interviewers are usually interested in seeing that the interviewee can think critically and come up with solutions regardless of the issue.  Be creative and show your ingenuity. Even if your problem was not havng enough time to study, describe the steps you took to prioritize your schedule.  That will demonstrate that you are responsible and can think through situations on your own.
What accomplishments gives you the most pride? The secret to this question is being specific and selecting an accomplishment that relates to the position you are seeking.
What are your salary expectations? Unless pressed for a more specific answer, steer clear of discussing salary specifics before receiving a job offer.  Let the interviewer know that you willbe open to discussing fair compensation when the time comes.  Case of I do not want to count my chickens until they are hatched.
Tell me about yourself The important thing to know is that the recruiter is trying to figure you out professionally.  Pick up a couple of points about yourself, your professional experience and your career goals, and stick to those points.  Wrap up your answer by bringing your desire to be part of the company.

Interviews are supposed to be a two -way affair.  After the interviewer is done with the interview, the ball will be passed over to you to ask some questions.  Ask questions to learn more about the job and the organization. For example, you can ask:
Where does the job fit into the organizational structure?
How will your work be evaluated?
What opportunities for enhancement exist?
What kind of orientation and training are available to new employees?
How will you describe a successful candidate in this position?

MOST IMPORTANT - after the interview, remember to send a thank you letter to the interviewer within one or two days of the interview.  Reiterate your interest in the position and your qualification.  Also it will be better if you mention some of the salient points that were discussed during the interview, especially the interviewer's response to to your questions.
For more interviewing resources look at the following website: http://www.acinet.org/acinet/default.asp
navigate to career resource library.
Good luck
Re: Job Interview Tips - Urgent by dharsubho627: 11:41am On Nov 30, 2020
Your image takes you to the ladder of success in interviews. Some things are very important during the (interview), which makes the performance of your interview very impressive. Things to keep in mind when going to the interview that greatly influence the selection in your interview. Our confidence is very important during group discussions. It is very important to keep a few things in mind in a group discussion that positively influences your interview performance. The first thing you should keep in mind is how your dress is, whatever clothes you wear should be improved.
https://ultimateletter.com/important-job-interview-tips-and-prepare-methods-to-crack-job/

(1) (Reply)

Vacacies For All / Nddc Post Graduate Scholarship Interview / Dss Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.