Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Africa Topic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa Topic (10491 Views)

Africa Topic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Topic by Jiah011(f): 6:03am On Mar 08, 2012
Spread the word and help bring this monster, Joseph Kony, to justice in Uganda! Let's do what we can to give a voice to the invisible children. At least as Nigerians with all the problems Nigeria has, things are not this bad. Abducting children and forcing them to kill and rape as to become child soldiers is as low as humanity can get and this does not happen in Nigeria. Let's move Africa into the light and stand in solidarity with those without a voice! At least for innocent children. They should at least have a chance! Reblog and repost and share this video everywhere you can! Let's get the word out. Children should at least have a chance to live! Reblog and repost and share this video everywhere you can! Let's get the word out. Thanks!

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=email[/flash]

Link: http://www.invisiblechildren.com/videos

#StopKony2012
Re: Africa Topic by igbaodun: 6:06am On Mar 08, 2012
^^^

You beat me to that.

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdBcypx1DfE?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Africa Topic by Jiah011(f): 6:38am On Mar 08, 2012
Great minds think alike! Keep spreading the word, friend. The more the better!
Re: Africa Topic by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 08, 2012
Don't worry, he will be hacked down soon enough. Remember Obama sent 100 special command forces to Uganda to provide logistics nd support in tracking down this bas-tard. He will definitely pay for all his crimes.
Re: Africa Topic by igbo2011(m): 8:17am On Mar 08, 2012
The troops don't care about the Africans. Kony has been away for over 5 years. That interview was shot in 2006. This entire thing is very fishy, don't beleive the propaganda. If you watch the KONY 2012 video around 12 minutes they go to the ICC. Why are all African leaders there? Why is Gbagbo and Gaddaffi and his son there? Are these men really war criminals? The ICC is just neocolonialism. You need to read between the lines.

Why did Obama send troops after they found the largest onshore oil find in 30 years? http://www.total.com/en/about-total/news/news-940500.html&idActu=2551

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!
Re: Africa Topic by HEALTHREMEDY: 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE.

YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL TO ME LETS SEND YOU THE NATURAL PLANTS INFECTION FREE APPLICATION FORMULA ON:

healthremedy@yahoo.com
(please carry the massage alone if this natural formula works for you thanks)
Re: Africa Topic by Beaf: 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
Joseph Kony has been fighting the Ugandan state for about 30 years now. What makes you fellows imagine that your email can stop him?
What is needed are troops and weapons on the ground.
Re: Africa Topic by k10: 12:46pm On Mar 08, 2012
is nigeria any better ? is boko haram not doing the same to get recruits ?
Re: Africa Topic by KMOS: 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
just the christian version of boko haram
Re: Africa Topic by omo9ja1(m): 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
What I saw on that video was very serious, imagine the kind of guns those animal are carrying, I sum it all that they are getting some financial backing some where? where that is what will need to know

or maybe they are one of the bank robbery guys

but men those guys arrange 0o0o00o

He look innocent to me apart from his boys looking like animal
Re: Africa Topic by yme1(f): 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2012
How can someone be this callous?
Re: Africa Topic by KINGwax(m): 1:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
HEALTH-REMEDY:

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE.

YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL TO ME LETS SEND YOU THE NATURAL PLANTS INFECTION FREE APPLICATION FORMULA ON:

healthremedy@yahoo.com
(please carry the massage alone if this natural formula works for you thanks)

guy, u don tire me o
Re: Africa Topic by ndividual: 1:18pm On Mar 08, 2012
igbo2011:

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!

Agreed. I saw the site's message this morning and it seems other people feel things are a bit odd. See below:

http://pomee.tumblr.com/post/18899601760/kony-2012-causing-more-harm-than-good

As it is, do your own research.
Re: Africa Topic by olapluto(m): 1:29pm On Mar 08, 2012
Kony is evil yes. He is a very evil Christian terrorist. He should be caught. BUT how?
DO you know anything about this NGO?
Do you know that only 31% of money raised by this NGO actually go to Uganda?
This NGO is as good as a scam gets. It plays on people's emotions to paint Africa bad in order to get money. Things are not as they claim. Google will set you people free.
I will post one or two blogs about this issue. Think and think again, as Africans, if this NGO's way is realistic. Think and think again if any white man intervention has quenched any conflict in Africa. Think and think how many Nigerian soldiers died in Liberia, yet USA claims to have brought peace to Liberia. Think and think if Africa's problems can be solved this way.
Do not be carried away by a 30 minutes hollywood video. Stop and Think.
Re: Africa Topic by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 08, 2012
@ King Wax, The troops don't care about the Africans. Kony has been away for over 5 years. That interview was shot in 2006. This entire thing is very fishy, don't beleive the propaganda. If you watch the KONY 2012 video around 12 minutes they go to the ICC. Why are all African leaders there? Why is Gbagbo and Gaddaffi and his son there? Are these men really war criminals?  The ICC is just neocolonialism. You need to read between the lines.

Why did Obama send troops after they found the largest onshore oil find in 30 years? http://www.total.com/en/about-total/news/news-940500.html&idActu=2551

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!

I support you! This video is 5 years old! For those who are intrested, Uganda just discovered Oil and the president has sidelined everyone to enter into an aggreement with multinational oil companies, the paliament is so weak that legislators are harrassed and even flogged by policemen. I think we are seeing oil politics beginning in Uganda again? Is the US trying to give a nationalist a bad name? I very much doubt the authencity of this video, and why is it being released almost  years after? If it is genuine at all? Please we shld learn to take some things in the media with a pinch of salt!
Re: Africa Topic by olapluto(m): 1:34pm On Mar 08, 2012
My mother’s family are members of the Acholi tribe, and they hail from Gulu, a town in Northern Uganda. Northern Uganda is a place which has experienced significant ups and downs in recent decades, but all the same I was very surprised to come home last night to find talk of it all over Twitter. And the hashtags continued this morning – #stopkony, #Kony2012, #stopKony2012, #InvisibleChildren, #MakeKonyFamous, #CoverTheNight, #LRA, #Uganda. All of a sudden, my family’s region was famous – or, at least, trending on Twitter. What was all this about?
The previous afternoon, I had received a message from a friend, the Nigerian poet and playwright Inua Ellams, asking if I had seen a video with a very moving message. I clicked on the link that he’d sent through, and what emerged was a painfully familiar tale. The video, created by Invisible Children, an American NGO, tells the story of Joseph Kony, and his horrific activities in Northern Uganda. For over twenty years, he and his Lord’s Resistance Army (or LRA) have been abducting children from villages there – boys so they can fight as soldiers in his army, girls so they can be subjected to rape and sexual enslavement. The video is part of a campaign, coming to a head this year, which aims to use a series of vigils to raise awareness of Kony’s atrocities. In doing so, Invisible Children aim to encourage the powers that be to stop this brutality and blood-letting.
Invisible Children has had some success already: late last year, President Barack Obama committed 100 US troops to provide “advice and assistance” to the Ugandan army in removing Joseph Kony from the battlefield. The President’s move came in part due to the NGO’s tremendous advocacy efforts. Everyone agrees that this a hugely important issue, but Invisible Children’s methods have come in for searing criticism; most scathingly, they have been attacked as “neo-liberal, do-good Whiteness”. Elsewhere, Foreign Affairs has provided some important context on this matter, in relation to Uganda’s strategic importance to the USA. I would also recommend the Twitter feed of Laura Seay, who was moved to comment this morning that “[Solomme Lemma] is tweeting links to great community-based organizations working in Northern Uganda. Give there if you really want to help.
I understand the anger and resentment at Invisible Children’s approach, which with its paternalism has unpleasant echoes of colonialism. I will admit to being perturbed by its apparent top-down prescriptiveness, when so much diligent work is already being done at Northern Uganda’s grassroots. On the other hand, I am very happy – relieved, more than anything – that Invisible Children have raised worldwide awareness of this issue. Murderers and torturers tend to prefer anonymity, and if not that then respectability: that way, they can go about their work largely unhindered. For too many years, the subject of this trending topic on Twitter was only something that I heard about in my grandparents’ living room, as relatives and family friends gathered for fruitless and frustrated hours of discussion. Watching the video, though, I was concerned at the simplicity of the approach that Invisible Children seemed to have taken.
The thing is that Joseph Kony has been doing this for a very, very, very long time. He emerged about a quarter of a century, which is about the same time that Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni came to power. As a result the fates of these two leaders must, I think, be viewed together. Yet, though President Museveni must be integral to any solution to this problem, I didn’t hear him mentioned once in the 30-minute video. I thought that this was a crucial omission. Invisible Children asked viewers to seek the engagement of American policymakers and celebrities, but – and this is a major red flag – it didn’t introduce them to the many Northern Ugandans already doing fantastic work both in their local communities and in the diaspora. It didn’t ask its viewers to seek diplomatic pressure on President Museveni’s administration.
About ten minutes into the video, the narrator asks his young son who “the bad guy” in Uganda is; when his young son hesitates, he informs him that Joseph Kony is the bad guy. In a sense, he let Kony off lightly: he is a monster. But what the narrator also failed to do was mention to his son that when a bad guy like Kony is running riot for years on end, raping and slashing and seizing and shooting, then there is most likely another host of bad guys out there letting him get on with it. He probably should have told him that, too.
I don’t think that Invisible Children are naïve. I don’t think that President Obama was ever blind to this matter either: his own father, a Kenyan, hails from the Luo, the same tribal group that has suffered so much at the hands of Kony. My hunch – and hope – is that they see this campaign as a way to encourage wider and deeper questions about wholly inadequate governance in this area of Africa.
And as far as President Museveni is concerned, my thoughts are these: if thousands of British children were being kidnapped from their towns each year and recruited into an army, you can bet that David Cameron would be facing some very, very serious questions in the Commons. You can bet that he would be grilled on why, years after the conflict began, there were still about a million of his citizens slowly dying in squalor in ill-equipped refugee camps. You can also bet that, after twenty-odd years of this happening on his watch, he wouldn’t still be running the country.

SOURCE:http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/03/07/stop-kony-yes-but-dont-stop-asking-questions/
Re: Africa Topic by olapluto(m): 1:39pm On Mar 08, 2012
Invisible Children and Joseph Kony
March 6, 2012
You may have heard of the little film titled Invisible Children that came out in 2006 documenting the Lord’s Resistance Army and their kidnappings of children. It took the media world’s attention and ran with it, generating millions of dollars for their newly formed NGO, Invisible Children.The aim was to shine a spotlight on the atrocities, to bring people’s attention to what was happening – hence the title, Invisible Children. They were going to make these children visible.
I became aware of the film shortly after it was released as many in the Church took on the cause of raising money for Invisible Children, screening the film, etc… The filmmakers exploded onto the media and humanitarian scene, creating apparel (their store is now selling ‘action kits’), holding large events, and marketing in all corners – all ostensibly for the benefit of children in Northern Uganda, often centered around the Acholi people and even more so an area named Gulu, where the LRA leader Joseph Kony is from (I attended a church that held a ‘Gulu Walk’ mimicking the children’s flight).
Now, they’re out with a new film titled, Kony – which has again gone massively viral.The aim of the film, according to Invisible Children, is to “make Joseph Kony famous…to raise support for his arrest”.
The problem? From the beginning to now, the goal was premised on a White desire to save downtrodden Africa regardless of facts. The movies are premised on the idea that: North American (White) attention will save Africa. I wrote about this same thing in regards to Nick Kristof and the logic goes like this:
White people only care about White people and the only way to save Black people is to get White people to care about them, so to save Black people we need to talk about White people.
But the problem is even bigger than this. It feeds into the public perception of what Africa is. It’s full of war, famine and rape. Its people can’t help themselves.
Kony and his atrocities are nothing new; they’ve been happening for a long time. There have been numerous very public policy discussions within North America about how best to deal with Kony but he’s elusive, he knows how to run and really governments in North America are minimally interested. To the people in the area he terrorizes, they have had conversations about how to deal with Kony & how to deal with things bigger than Kony – malaria, disease, education, society. I have an Acholi colleague who is researching education in conflict/post-conflict Acholiland. They care, they know, they’re researching and problem solving – this is nothing new, Kony is already infamous. So what will educating White people do?
Some will say, what’s the problem with bringing attention to the atrocities? This is a good thing, now people will know and do something. Who cares if it is White people, Black people, or Purple people who do it?
One problem: It falls into the trap, the belief that the problem is ignorance and the answer is education. When we tell more people about Kony and the LRA, something WILL happen. It’s not true. Bono, Bob Geldolf, Angelina Jolie and thousands of others have brought more attention, more education, more money to issues – it doesn’t solve them. White ignorance is not the problem. White colonialism/oppression/domination/violence (whatever you want to call it) in the past and present is. It is built on the idea that Africa needs saving – that it is the White man’s burden to do so. More education does not change the systems and structures of oppression, those that need Africa to be the place of suffering and war and saving.
It’s also about history. White folk have for centuries built industries on saving Black people in Africa. In creating images of what Africans look like, in order to justify saving them. Is it any coincidence that all of the filmmakers and subsequent heads of the NGO are white? Is it any coincidence that, despite ‘partnering’ with local people, on Invisible Children’s website, in a colonial-esque era division, that the White people involved in the organization are framed in a modern, neutral (White) room in ‘hip’ fashion while the Africans all have straw huts in the background? No, the ideal African still lives in huts! They’re exotic and poor. This is all no surprise when we bring history into the picture.
Part of this is the centering of our Western vision and logic. The very idea of ‘Invisible’ is ludicrous – these children were never invisible to their communities and families – only to us. It harkens back to the ‘unspoilt’ land of the new worlds where ‘no one had ever been before’ and which completely ignored the lives and realities of the Indigenous people, the Africans who had lived there for centuries before – who knew everything there was to know about this ‘untouched’ land. It is the re-centering of the West and the glossing over of those whose lives are being impacted most. We need to learn: It’s not about us. Race does matter for this reason, because of how it is constituted by history and continues to shape how we view the world.
There are other critiques about where the money that is raised goes, the filmmakers are just kids with no idea how to distribute aid, whether aid is really effective in solving problem, that Kony is long gone from Uganda, etc… They are all relevant but huge issues in themselves. This article is about representation and how Invisible Children erases local realities while purporting to showcase them. It’s about those people who watch the film and believe awareness is the answer to solving the problems. Raising awareness is our generations pat on the back, our absolution of guilt, our mechanism for maintaining our neo-liberal, do-good Whiteness which separates us from those OTHER horrible people who ‘do nothing’. We believe making a film or watching a film changes systems of oppression, patterns of violence, or centuries of colonial erasure. That is what this article is about.
You can read more about how the film frames “Bad guys vs. Good guys” from How Matters.
For those of faith who are supporting Invisible Children, some bigger questions to think on regarding love and charity.
Re: Africa Topic by tunnytox(m): 1:46pm On Mar 08, 2012
I can't wait for this monster to be slaughtered like ram!
Re: Africa Topic by Fhemmmy: 2:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
With all these, his days are definitely numbered . . . . Keep the fight alive
Re: Africa Topic by IdiAmin2(m): 2:17pm On Mar 08, 2012
Useless Propaganda! As if it will change anything
The questions we must ask:

Where does Kony get his funding, how does he get all these ammunitions. You think guns, rocket grenades, rocket launchers are cheap? or you think they cost 500 Naira a unit. Kiny has no legitimate business or bank account to use for his campaign, If this guy has been fighting for over 20 years without running out of money or weapons and he is still paying the 10,000s of soldiers, that means he has serious backers financing their plan. Kony is just a puppet face. As the saying goes, If you want to find the mastermind, trace the money.

1 Like

Re: Africa Topic by Ezeufi: 2:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
The guy is a christian and he terrorises for christianity. Therefore, it is not in the interest of the powers that be to pursue him and bring him to "justice".
Re: Africa Topic by bittyend(m): 2:55pm On Mar 08, 2012
Did they just discover oil in Uganda
Re: Africa Topic by Vansnickers: 3:52pm On Mar 08, 2012
Idi-Amin:

Where does Kony get his funding, how does he get all these ammunitions. You think guns, rocket grenades, rocket launchers are cheap? or you think they cost 500 Naira a unit. Kiny has no legitimate business or bank account to use for his campaign, If this guy has been fighting for over 20 years without running out of money or weapons and he is still paying the 10,000s of soldiers, that means he has serious backers financing their plan. Kony is just a puppet face. As the saying goes, If you want to find the mastermind, trace the money.

Exactly what came into my Mind, when I watched the second Video.
Re: Africa Topic by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 08, 2012
Idi-Amin:

I'm sure they wouldn't be needing your expertise. The international community is into this situation already and are more experienced in cases like this. . .you really think it has to take a Nairalander to tell them that Kony has his financiers?
Re: Africa Topic by Dainfamous: 7:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
We should give western world their credit because they got feelings for humanity which must other race lacked,
Re: Africa Topic by AfroBlue(m): 7:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
Re: Africa Topic by Jiah011(f): 9:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
igbo2011:

The troops don't care about the Africans. Kony has been away for over 5 years. That interview was shot in 2006. This entire thing is very fishy, don't beleive the propaganda. If you watch the KONY 2012 video around 12 minutes they go to the ICC. Why are all African leaders there? Why is Gbagbo and Gaddaffi and his son there? Are these men really war criminals?  The ICC is just neocolonialism. You need to read between the lines.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!

Propaganda or not, raising awareness is important. Most people will sit down and say, "Oh we can't do anything and no one can because of , " Just let calamity touch you or someone you really love, and then it becomes of utmost importance. We are inherently selfish. Governments are not involved in "goodwill missions." They are only interested in their interests and profits and power, etc. Revolution and change always comes from the people. Strength in numbers is important and to have a common cause is vital. Can you name any really great African leader of recent. Aside from Mandela and a couple of others, the rest are debatable. Why is it African leaders like to mistreat their people. Whether by conspiracy or not, something is wrong here and so the ICC has recognized these individuals. Whoever the ICC is is a point of discussion as well, but you can't deny that those on list have not treated their subjects well. Neocolonialism by foreigners (Western entities) or being degenerated by your own African leaders who stagnate progress. Which poison is worse- they both kill.

Idi-Amin:

Fear is the biggest tool! If you can enslave the children, the weakest and the most impressionable, who represent a fraction of the population, but 100 percent of the future, you can change the future. 30 years of enslaving a generation of children produces adult monsters, brainwashed to continue the cycle. Weapons are only part of the plan. If one can enslave the mind, everything else is at their disposal. There are more details and questions than we have answers to, I agree. But that doesn't mean there is no crisis. 

k10:

is nigeria any better ? is boko haram not doing the same to get recruits ?

What are you doing to inform the world about Boko Haram. So if they are doing the same, how do we stop them. Complacency helps no one. We'll just sit back and let them get to big to handle like they are progressively doing. Then hope that a white savior can come and champion our cause to the world because we have become to powerless to do it ourselves. There is too much wasted potential in Nigeria. We should be a first world nation, and yet we are not.

Ezeufi:

The guy is a christian and he terrorises for christianity. Therefore, it is not in the interest of the powers that be to pursue him and bring him to "justice".

By this logic, there are holy devils and beastly saints. Let them do whatever they want. Where are the people of honor and integrity in this world?

There are thousands of Konys all over the world. He is not the only one.
Re: Africa Topic by norrisman: 9:37am On Mar 09, 2012
Museveni has been in power for 26 years, just 4 years less than Mubarak ruled Egypt. If Museveni wasnt a yes boy to the west, the story would have been a whole lot different. It would have read something along the lines of: Revolutionary; Joseph Kony fights evil dictator Museveni for the liberation of Uganda. The message from the west is clear, If you are an African, Middle Eastern, South American leader, you can lord over your people for however long you like as long as you tow our line. I'll give some examples:

Yemen - Saleh in power 32 years - friend of the West - protected
Saudi Arabia - Royal family (dictators) - friend of the west - protected
Kuwait - Royal family (dictators) - friend of the west - protected
Qatar - - Royal family (dictators) - friend of the west - protected
Uganda - Museveni in power 26 years - friend of the west - protected
Cameroun - Biya in power 30 years - friend of the west - protected
Equitorial Guinea - Mbasogo - in power 33 years - friend of the west - protected
Burkina Faso - Campaore in power 25 years - friend of the west - protected
Zimbabwe - Mugabe in power 32 years - enemy of the west since he took white owned farms - persecuted
Egypt - Mubarak in power 30 years - friend of the west till the very end when they realised the Egyptian people wouldnt give up - protected
Iran - Ahmedinijad in power 7 years - opposes the west - persecuted
Venezuela - Chavez in power 12 years - opposes the west - persecuted

Ask yourself one question, why do you not hear anything about these protected long serving dictators in the western News. I am sure you know the answer to that.
Re: Africa Topic by cap28: 1:45pm On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^^^
GBAM!!!!!!!!, i couldnt have said it better myself.
Re: Africa Topic by namfav(m): 1:49pm On Mar 09, 2012
where is the justice in nigeria? who cares about uganda when people die everyday in nigeria?
Re: Africa Topic by GWslim(f): 2:12pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nigeria will be called up when there is trouble but when thing get batter for them they will start deporting us like south Africa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governors’ Meeting On Economic Crisis Inconclusive Again / FG: We Have What It Takes To Turn Economy Around / Impeachment Threat: Allow The Law To Take Its Due Course- Muric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.