Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,646 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:30 AM

Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel (4009 Views)

FUTA 500 level Student Wins Tony Elemelu’s $10,000 Grant (Photo) / Nigerian Wins Queen Of Africa Students In Russia / Team UNIBEN Wins International Award For Vehicle Innovation.(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by HyeBits: 11:26am On Mar 08, 2012
Nigerian writer and blogger,  Teju Cole, has won this year’s Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award for a ‘distinguished’ first book of fiction.

PEN New England, a regional branch of the international writers organisation, and the Hemingway Foundation announced on Tuesday that Cole, 36, would receive $10,000 for ‘Open City.’

Cole’s story of a Nigerian doctor’s physical and spiritual journey also is a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle award. The author grew up in Nigeria and currently lives in New York City.

The Hemingway award was founded in 1976 by Mary Hemingway, widow of the Nobel laureate. Previous winners of the Hemingway prize include Marilynne Robinson and Edward P. Jones.

According to his website, tejucole.com, he is a writer, art historian, street photographer and Distinguished Writer in Residence at Bard College.

It says he was “born in the US (1975) to Nigerian parents, raised in Nigeria. Lives in Brooklyn. Author of two books, a novella, Every Day is for the Thief, and a novel, Open City (which won the PEN/Hemingway Award and was shortlisted for the National Book Critics Circle Award). Contributor to the New York Times, Qarrtsiluni, Chimurenga, the New Yorker, Transition, Tin House, A Public Space, etc. Currently at work on a book-length non-fiction narrative of Lagos, and on Small Fates."

http://www.punchng.com/news/nigerian-teju-cole-wins-10000-award-for-first-novel/
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by Muttex(m): 1:36pm On Mar 08, 2012
Congratulations to you my brother, More progress to come. I hope you are part of NL? where are we celebrating this?
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by chines4(m): 1:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
Congrats
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by igbaodun: 2:42pm On Mar 08, 2012
Thank God I am not Ibo. Proud to be a Yoruba any day any time.

1 Yoruba brain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>100 Ibo brains
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by NaMe4: 2:49pm On Mar 08, 2012
^^^
But South Africans & co no send that one.

@ Topic
Well done and congrats Mr. Cole.
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by Intrepid1(m): 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
igbaodun:

1 Yoruba brain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>100 Ibo brains

And a tribalistic pig-defiler has popped out of the gutters to expose his retardation. Nice going, mate! Now you can crawl back to your shithole and continue inbreeding!
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by Businesstools(m): 3:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
Visit http://www.facebook.com/boostprofit.reducecosts for all the information you need to start and manage a successful business.
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 08, 2012
igbaodun:

Be more constructive brother, cannot see any relation between your post and topic
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by medjai(m): 6:12pm On Mar 08, 2012
One of those very few times we aren't making the news for the wrong reasons.

Congrats.
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by noniboy231(m): 12:08am On Mar 09, 2012
Yoruba traibal fool\
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by osasp(m): 4:19am On Mar 09, 2012
igbaodun:

are you for real?
you are a disgrace to yorubas. . .pull ur head out ur ass
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by zeelz: 10:31am On Mar 09, 2012
@intrepid! Nice one well served at igbaodun, he thinks he can com here and talk stupid.

@igbaodun pls take note NL is 4 enlightened minds
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
igbaodun:

I'm Yoruba but not as shallow minded as you. SHAME ON YOU!
Re: Nigerian Wins $10,000 Award For First Novel by roddk(m): 3:16am On Mar 10, 2012
Congrats to Him n many more of us hustling to make a livelihood

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Geology And Geophysics As Careers. / Strike Call Off | Students Need To Appreciate ASUU Action / Delta State Polytechnic Ogwashi-uku Post UTME Result For 2013 Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.