Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man (6331 Views)

Soldiers Kill More Boko Haram Militants,Recover Weapons In Borno. Graphic Photos / Soldiers Kill Zakzaky’s Wife, Son, Destroy Shiites’ Headquarters, / Three Dead As Soldiers Chase Ballot Box Snatchers In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by jidsoon(m): 4:01pm On Mar 09, 2012
Tension is now brewing between a former lawmaker and his Alesa-Eleme people, the hosts of two refineries and muti-billion Naira Ndoroma Petro-chemical, near Port Harcourt, Southsouth Nigeria, over the killing of a man by soldiers guarding his house and property in the community yesterday.
We gathered that two soldiers shot and killed a young man said to be slightly mentally unstable in Alesa, Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State.
The mentally unstable man usually used hard objects to smash parts of private cars without provocation but he was tolerated because of his mental state by many residents of Eleme.
We learnt from residents of Alesa community that the soldiers were on regular security guard duty at the home of a two-time former member of the House of Representatives, Chief Olaka Wogu, who had served as a two time Chairman of Eleme local Government, before proceeding to the National Assembly.
An eyewitness said the the soldiers were in a Hilux van on the way from the Refinery junction towards their duty post in Alesa when the man threw the bottle he was holding in their direction. It was not clear if the bottle hit any of the soldiers.
Angered by the impunity of the man, one of the soldiers stopped their vehicle and threatened to shoot him. But the man picked a stone and pelted at them.
This further angered one of the soldiers who shot him in the leg.
The eyewitness, who does not want his name mentioned, said another soldier who who was apparently not satisfied that his colleague only shot the man in the leg, perhaps unaware of the man’s mental state, quickly jumped down from the Hilux van and shot the man in the chest, killing him on the spot.
“It was not the first time this man was smashing the windscreen or side mirror of private vehicles. People in Eleme know him for that, but it is unfortunate he did what he did to the wrong people. The soldiers too thought that he was a violent person, “ an yewitness also said.
The incident triggered angry reactions by youths of Alesa community. They took to the streets to protest the killing of the man, but were later calmed by the executive chairman of Eleme Local Government Area, Chief Oji Ngofa Oji.
Ngofa frowned at the action of the soldiers and called for the immediate withdrawal of the military men from the area.
“It is unfortunate that this kind of crude action is still being experienced in a democracy. Why will the soldiers just kill a man like that? I am calling for the immediate withdrawal of the soldiers from Eleme.
“I am aware that the soldiers were guarding a private person and a private property. Is it not the constitutional responsibility of soldiers to protect lives of Nigerians? How can soldiers shoot a man and another soldier came down from their vehicle and shot the same person? Now, they have killed him just like that. We as a council will not take this lightly. We must insist on the prosecution of these soldiers, because we know them,” the council boss said.
The Army Public Relations Officer (APRO) Lieutenant Colonel Aminu Ilyiasu has not reacted to the incident as he was said to be in a meeting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State over the incident.
Mr. Ken Atsuete, a Port Harcourt-based human rights lawyer, condemned the killing as” callous, inhuman and a violation of the man’s right to life. In the Niger Delta,what we have is an army of occupation killing the people at any slightest provocation.
“If their lives were threatened, shooting the man in the leg was enough to demobilise the alleged mentally unstable man rather than denying the man’s right to life.”
The State Police Public Relations Officer, Ben Ogbuegbulam confirmed the incident to our correspondent on telephone, saying, “Yes, I heard it, but I have not really gotten the details.”
Meanwhile, Alesa youths vowed to insist that Olaga Wogu and the Army authorities withdraw the soldiers from their community as they no are longer safe if two soldiers can shoot and kill one man.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/03/09/tension-in-alesa-as-soldiers-kill-man/
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by LEXYLOV: 4:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
So the best help Nigeria soldiers can render to a mentally unstable person is to kill him ever since this man acting like that no authority think about helping him to psychiatric hospital for treatment and everyone ignored him What a wicked nation and her zombies undecided
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by GboyegaD(m): 4:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
May his soul rest in perfect peace.

But, why did they not refer the guy to a mental facility all the while? Sometimes, we usually act silly. Someone who has been destroying things without being provoked and we all think the best is to tolerate his actions rather than seek help for him? The Youths should be ashamed of themselves.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by GboyegaD(m): 4:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
LEXYLOV:

So the best help Nigeria soldiers can render to a mentally unstable person is to kill him ever since this man acting like that no authority think about helping him to psychiatric hospital for treatment and everyone ignored him What a wicked nation and her zombies undecided

The soldiers might not be aware of his state but killing him was wrong since he wasn't armed. Remember, our soldiers most times in their high state do not value life and might have acted in retribution to the killings of some JTF officers were killed earlier this week.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Okijajuju1(m): 4:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
If the Nigga had been destroying properties prior to now and the commuinity knew about it, before anyone blames the Soldiers, lets hold the commuinity leaders, Local Government and residents responsible for his life. . . Someone was bound to kill the dude or be killed by the dude sooner or later.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Efizzi: 4:48pm On Mar 09, 2012
I think those soldiers should be charged with first degree murder.
Imagine shooting the guy in the leg is not enough ( even though its wrong)
The colleague went ahead to finish him off.
( SO soldiers are meant to kill freely now on the slightest provocation?)
If this is how they want the country to be then I suggest Nigeria citizens should be allowed to carry Firearms just like LOS ANGELES
so that when next a soldier wants to shoot someone he would remember the person as well as passersby have their own guns too.

LAZY SOLDIER, kILLING UNARMED MEN IN THE NIGER DELTA , Meanwhile his mates are fighting fire for fire in Maiduguri,
mscheew
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 09, 2012
What are the foolish so-called youths protesting for? So they knew the man was a violent and destructive loafer, yet they were condoning his excesses? Even though one might not support the soldiers extreme action, I have absolutely no sympathy for the dead man - neither do I have any solidarity with the useless protesting youths. I would probably have shot him to death myself if he shattered my car windscreen without provocation.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Dede1(m): 5:37pm On Mar 09, 2012
Okija_juju:

If the Nigga had been destroying properties prior to now and the commuinity knew about it, before anyone blames the Soldiers, lets hold the commuinity leaders, Local Government and residents responsible for his life. . . Someone was bound to kill the dude or be killed by the dude sooner or later.

For the first time you seemed to have your psychotic head in the right place. grin grin grin
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by doofanc: 6:42pm On Mar 09, 2012
You mean a mentally unstable man had been destroying vehicles with impunity and the so called youth (babies would be more apt given their display of idiocy) saw nothing wrong with that?

Now they have the audacity to protest? Against what? The Soldiers apparently went for the wrong mad person. . .the youths are clearly worse than the unfortunate lunatic.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Raxxye(m): 6:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
pro01:

What are the foolish so-called youths protesting for? So they knew the man was a violent and destructive loafer, yet they were condoning his excesses? Even though one might not support the soldiers extreme action, I have absolutely no sympathy for the dead man - neither do I have any solidarity with the useless protesting youths. I would probably have shot him to death myself if he shattered my car windscreen without provocation.

I‘m surprised u can take a life because of a shattered windscreen. It goes to show how much we hv degenerated to valuing material things over human life! The soldiers n urself really deserve being kept in a mental facility!
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by DualCore1: 7:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
GboyegaD:

The soldiers might not be aware of his state but killing him was wrong since he wasn't armed.
He was armed.
. . . with stones.

This can be used by the defense if they are court marshaled. I am not a Barrister but when you date a Barrister who practices on you too. . . you get to think like them a bit  tongue
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
Soldiers are meant to be in the barracks. Jeez! That country is disorganized to the worst level of things.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by cdoffx(m): 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
its rather unfortunate that the mad man was killed however it should be noted that considering his violent act he might end up killing some one maybe a kid one day,the local authority should have done something about him a long time. besides it shows the type of person he was before going mad.
considering the security situation in the ND the soldiers could have even thought he wanted to throw a bomb or perhaps he was some kind of evil mission, its very hard to know who is who in the ND now
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by mekaboy(m): 8:10pm On Mar 09, 2012
[b] IN NIGERIA NOW, SOLDIERS DONT TAKE CHANCES, AND THE MAN SHOULD BE IN THE MENTAL HOME, I GUESS HIS TIME WAS UP.

THIS IS A DEMONIC MANIFESTATION, WHY IS IT THAT WHEN SOMEONE IS MENTALLY DISTURBED IN NIGERIA, THEY BECOME VIOLENT, WHY CANT THE MENTALLY DISTURBED PERSON IN NIGERIA " FIND BUCKET AND WAS PEOPLES CAR FOR THEM? " WHY CANT A MENTALLY DISTURBED PERSON FIND BROOM AND CLEAN THE STREETS?  MUST MENTAL IMBALANCE LEAD TO VIOLENCE ?

WELL, THE MAN WAS PROBABLY CONTROLLED BY DEMONS WHO FELT ITS TIME FOR THEM TO TOTALLY DESTROY HIM, HENCE MAKING HIM THROW A BOTTLE AT SOLDIERS. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE SOLDIERS RESPONSIBILITY IS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY OF CITIZEN.

IF YOU ASK THEM, THAT IS WHAT THEY DID, THIS MAN DESTROYS PEOPLE PROPERTY AND THEY FELT THAT THE ONLY WAY TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY WAS TO ELIMINATE THE DANGER.

WAT IF THIS MAN TAKES A KNIFE AND STABS SOMEBODY TO DEATH ONE DAY?

THIS IS A LESSON FOR NIGERIAN MAD MEN AND WOMEN ASSOCIATION (NMMWA), IF YOU WANT TO BE MAD, USE YOUR MADNESS FOR THE BENEFIT OF NIGERIA AND NOT AGAINST NIGERIA.

I DONT SUPPORT THE SOLDIERS KILLING HIM BUT, SINCE THE COMMUNITY PROTESTING NEGLECTED THE MANS CONDITION IN THE FIRST PLACE, IT MEANS THEY HAD NO VALUE FOR HIS LIFE.[/b]
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by emiye(m): 8:40pm On Mar 09, 2012
executive chairman of Eleme Local Government Area, Chief Oji Ngofa Oji is the chief culprit, he failed and he should accept it. His council left a violent mad man on the street attacking continuosly passerby, and he wasn.t moved away.
If the madman had not been killed, he probably would kill someone later
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2012
emiye:

executive chairman of Eleme Local Government Area, Chief Oji Ngofa Oji is the chief culprit, he failed and he should accept it. His council left a violent mad man on the street attacking continuosly passerby, and he wasn.t moved away.
If the madman had not been killed, he probably would kill someone later
That does not justify the killing. Picking stone from the ground after been shot on the leg is an evidence to prove he is not right in his mind. This is a direct evidence into the psychological minds of the Nigerian army. It's a sad story indeed!
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by sylve11: 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2012
mad people sometimes ehn! cool
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by BankoleNco: 8:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
Sorry but aren't Soldier suppose to be able to "ARREST and DETAIN" too? Or have they forgotten how to do that?
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Remii(m): 8:59pm On Mar 09, 2012
BankoleNco:

Sorry but aren't Soldier suppose to be able to "ARREST and DETAIN" too? Or have they forgotten how to do that?

pls don't make that mistake oo, soldiers are not trained to arrest, they are trained to kill, na police dey arrest, soldier no get cell.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by mekaboy(m): 9:03pm On Mar 09, 2012
 HE WAS CONSIDERED A MEMBER OF BOKO HARAM, BECAUSE ITS ONLY BOKO HARAM PEOPLE THAT ATTACK SOLDIERS .
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2012
Raxxye:

I‘m surprised u can take a life because of a shattered windscreen. It goes to show how much we hv degenerated to valuing material things over human life! The soldiers n urself really deserve being kept in a mental facility!

As long as a person ('mad' or not) goes about damaging peoples' property with impunity and formenting unprovoked violence on innocent people, then he is hardly fit to live amongst normal humans. If it takes a bullet or two to take the menace out of circulation for good, then so be it! Since nobody in that community cared enough to check the raving lunatic into an institution, why should they care when he winds up in a shallow grave?
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by nice4life: 10:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
pro01:

As long as a person ('mad' or not) goes about damaging peoples' property with impunity and formenting unprovoked violence on innocent people, then he is hardly fit to live amongst normal humans. If it takes a bullet or two to take the menace out of circulation for good, then so be it! Since nobody in that community cared enough to check the raving lunatic into an institution, why should they care when he winds up in a shallow grave?
Guy something is wrong with your mind.You need to see a psychiatrics.Are you this wicked or your just typing?
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by Ryabcool(m): 4:55am On Mar 10, 2012
mekaboy:

HE WAS CONSIDERED A MEMBER OF BOKO HARAM, BECAUSE ITS ONLY BOKO HARAM PEOPLE THAT ATTACK SOLDIERS .
mekaboy:

[b] IN NIGERIA NOW, SOLDIERS DONT TAKE CHANCES, AND THE MAN SHOULD BE IN THE MENTAL HOME, I GUESS HIS TIME WAS UP.

THIS IS A DEMONIC MANIFESTATION, WHY IS IT THAT WHEN SOMEONE IS MENTALLY DISTURBED IN NIGERIA, THEY BECOME VIOLENT, WHY CANT THE MENTALLY DISTURBED PERSON IN NIGERIA " FIND BUCKET AND WAS PEOPLES CAR FOR THEM? " WHY CANT A MENTALLY DISTURBED PERSON FIND BROOM AND CLEAN THE STREETS?  MUST MENTAL IMBALANCE LEAD TO VIOLENCE ?

WELL, THE MAN WAS PROBABLY CONTROLLED BY DEMONS WHO FELT ITS TIME FOR THEM TO TOTALLY DESTROY HIM, HENCE MAKING HIM THROW A BOTTLE AT SOLDIERS. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE SOLDIERS RESPONSIBILITY IS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY OF CITIZEN.

IF YOU ASK THEM, THAT IS WHAT THEY DID, THIS MAN DESTROYS PEOPLE PROPERTY AND THEY FELT THAT THE ONLY WAY TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY WAS TO ELIMINATE THE DANGER.

WAT IF THIS MAN TAKES A KNIFE AND STABS SOMEBODY TO DEATH ONE DAY?

THIS IS A LESSON FOR NIGERIAN MAD MEN AND WOMEN ASSOCIATION (NMMWA), IF YOU WANT TO BE MAD, USE YOUR MADNESS FOR THE BENEFIT OF NIGERIA AND NOT AGAINST NIGERIA.

I DONT SUPPORT THE SOLDIERS KILLING HIM BUT, SINCE THE COMMUNITY PROTESTING NEGLECTED THE MANS CONDITION IN THE FIRST PLACE, IT MEANS THEY HAD NO VALUE FOR HIS LIFE.[/b]
These posts are just senseless and mentally confusing even to the person who typed them. You have allowed your supersticious beliefs becloud your mental capabilities. You said "why can't a mad person in africa pick up brooms n assist the community". Now tell me, how many mentally unstable people abroad dyu know that sweep the roads? Please spare me that load of crap. Secondly, you proved your wide state of ignorance by saying "soldiers jobs are to ensure the safety and properties of the citizens", that is absolutely wrong. The soldiers duty is to "protect the country's sovereignty from internal and external threats". That ur lame definition is the job of the police not military. So any attack on the military is considered a direct attack on the nigerian country. Get that clear! Though i do not support the killing, i see no reason why i should blame the soldiers. And as for that boko haram post, Good Lord!!! Do you even think b4 you get on your computer and start typing? Please just shut up and let mature and sensible people post beneficial and intellectual opinions. Thank you!
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by ojoyentalk: 6:37am On Mar 10, 2012
How men suddenly become judges without factual information.Were the dead man alive,he would have narrated exactly how everything happened.
Yes,he was mad but the madness was not total.This is a man that recovered for over a period of 2 months before d madness resurfaed d night before his SLAUGHTER.
Talking about his being violent and throwing stones,well by grammer u could say he was a public nuisance.And to the best of my knowledge,the man had only been at the refinery junction for barely 20 minutes before the hungry wolves devoured him and there was every sign of madness that even a school child can see.

To add,he was murdered as HIS YOUNGER BROTHER WATCHED every release of the bullet pierce through his agonising brother.
He had gone out with some youths to return the young man home.But for the youths that held him back at the scene,the death toll should have greater.

What a life?You lost your wife,ur child,urbusiness,ur property.Leaving your old mother to sob and weep in pains.

Pastor,You were a great preacher and an envy of many.

Honourable,At the recent poll,we wished u were in ur nomalcy to fearlessly and intelligently represent our ward like u proved.

RIP
Nyian Ogbere!
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by emiye(m): 7:05am On Mar 10, 2012
all4naija:

That does not justify the killing. Picking stone from the ground after been shot on the leg is an evidence to prove he is not right in his mind. This is a direct evidence into the psychological minds of the Nigerian army. It's a sad story indeed!
I have not justified the killing in any way, i have only pointed out that the LGA chairman is the chief culprit, ofcourse the soldiers went overboard killing the madman that brutally.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by bakila: 7:41am On Mar 10, 2012
Dede1:

For the first time you seemed to have your psychotic head in the right place. grin grin grin
He is speaking about Nigeria, if you comment on biafra or Ojukwu you know the answer. Glad you comment the way you did, when I saw you qoute him I said mhhhm.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by bakila: 7:55am On Mar 10, 2012
@Mekaboy you are joking and we are amused.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by tnktosin(m): 11:31am On Mar 10, 2012
Dual Core:

He was armed.
. . . with stones.

This can be used by the defense if they are court marshaled. I am not a Barrister but when you date a Barrister who practices on you too. . . you get to think like them a bit  tongue

Maybe you missed the part of the story where he was first SHOT IN THE LEG, would you still be holding a stone if that were you? Maybe dating a barrister translates to a degree in law.
Re: Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man by sojimade(m): 1:39pm On Mar 10, 2012
Mumu Soldiers. I bet de are northern nigeria. And especially that one that shoot him in d chest is no doubt from borno, silly fellaz.
Serves the mad man right. He is hiding under d clause of mentalinstability to do what ever he wants. Now Nigeria's mad men are less than one. Lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually / America Is Now Waiting For Nigeria To Collapse! / A MUST READ : Predictions For 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.