Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? (12822 Views)

10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / Suggestions To Make Nigeria Better / Four Nigerians That Can Lead Nigeria Better Than Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by onila(f): 5:29pm On Mar 10, 2012
Nayah:

Hello Onila, I'm not a fan of Paul Biya because we got a great potential in terms of agriculture, ressources and so on and for me this President and his governement have already shown their weaknesses, but when you talk about democracy you just talk about alternative gouvernments right? and in this statement I'm sorry to say a "good country" has nothing to do with "so called democracy" imposed by westerners, Africa is organised in a way that their so called democracy doesn't work, we were completely cut of the reality and that's why we got problems nowadays

Lybia and Ghana are two great illustrations: Khaddafi was labelled as a one the worst political man in the World but Lybia was one of the "best" country ( like the thread title) in Africa, since westerners brough their "democracy" we all know what's going on there
As for Ghana same thing: Rawlings was  blacklisted and viewed as dictator as this man was working for his country and now is known for the man who has initiated Ghana's developpement, the others are just following his steps

Paul Biya is maybe not an example for you but I'm sorry, Cameroun is a stable country and the first largest and diversified economy of the CEMAC equivalent of the ECOWAS, check some informations if you want but Cameroon has nothing to envy to any other country, we have our problems like others but far from being worst, it's a fact

I dont envy any country or region in Africa. because every region in Africa has its problems
Southern Africa- Aids, violation
East Africa- War, famine
Central Africa- War, violation, underdevelopment
Shahel west Africa- Extreamism, drought

THE WORST DEMOCRACY IS BETTER THAN DICTATORSHIP. There is no peace in Cameroon BUT FEAR. Libya, tunisia etc were peaceful countries years ago but look at what happened few months ago.

I quit this topic because theres no need to compare other African countries 2 the other  because all countries in Africa hs its problems
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nayah(f): 5:37pm On Mar 10, 2012
onila:

I dont envy any country or region in Africa. because every region in Africa has its problems
Southern Africa- Aids, violation
East Africa- War, famine
Central Africa- War, violation, underdevelopment
Shahel west Africa- Extreamism, drought

THE WORST DEMOCRACY IS BETTER THAN DICTATORSHIP. There is no peace in Cameroon BUT FEAR. Libya, tunisia etc were peaceful countries years ago but look at what happened few months ago.

I quit this topic because theres no need to compare other African countries 2 the other  because all countries in Africa hs its problems

I agree every part of Africa has its problem that's my first point so no need to say a country is better ( we agree  wink, and for the so called "fear" in Cameroon I hope you've been once out there to feel this fear because many Nigerians out there would say you're wrong: Maybe it's difficult to understand for you sister, but some people prefer cholera to snakes and that's Cameroonians' mind, and if you want to know more about Cameroonian mentality  just google: RUBEN UM NYOBE

I repeat even though it hurts some people ( and this is not my intention but we have to be honest) there's no country better than other, being patriotic doesn't mean being subjective: DRC has the bigger economic potential in Africa, but we all know what's going on out there so this is completely unrelevant to think "better" by the size or potential, but it's all about concrete things
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by onila(f): 5:46pm On Mar 10, 2012
Nayah:

I agree every part of Africa has its problem that's my first point so no need to say a country is better ( we agree  wink, and for the so called "fear" in Cameroon I hope you've been once out there to feel this fear because many Nigerians out there would say you're wrong: Maybe it's difficult to understand for you sister, but some people prefer cholera to snakes and that's Cameroonians' mind, and if you want to know more about Cameroonian mentality  just google: RUBEN UM NYOBE

I repeat even though it hurts some people ( and this is not my intention but we have to be honest) there's no country better than other, being patriotic doesn't mean being subjective: DRC has the bigger economic potential in Africa, but we all know what's going on out there so this is completely unrelevant to think "better" by the size or potential, but it's all about concrete things

there is fear in cameroon
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzD-mSxMXHc?version=3&amp[/flash]
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 10, 2012
This is a pointless discussion that serves no intellectual purpose!

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nayah(f): 5:56pm On Mar 10, 2012
@ Onila
http://www.wescocenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=75
And I just came from Cameroon, I know what I'm talking about, people don't like BIYA but they prefer him to Westerners interference when you'll get this you'll get our mentality, majority of population can eat and drink, no electrical issues and good dilplomatic relations aborad, this is why Cameroonians don't want war, we're more than 250 tribes and we know what could happen in case of war this is called: wisdom

Again, I don't like Biya, but Cameroon is not better not worst than others
Engineerd, yes you're totally right, but sometimes we need to underline some points
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by nairawall: 6:12pm On Mar 10, 2012
Nigeria still among the first 5 nation in Africa in terms of general security and standard of living.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by obongoboy: 6:22pm On Mar 10, 2012
@nairawall. where did u get yr information
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by marcus1234: 6:33pm On Mar 10, 2012
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 5:54am On Mar 11, 2012

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by GChux1: 7:58am On Mar 11, 2012
With Boko Haram on the loose and seemingly winning, Naija will be second to Somalia. Life in other African states, apart from a few others, is easier than it is in Naija. Ask around.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by yourfada: 11:09am On Mar 11, 2012
doctimothy: Nigeria is better than Somalia, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Congo, uganda, Namibia, Burundi, Cameroon, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc. But we are too egotistical to acknowledge that. We compare oursleves to UK and USA, the same paople who are responsible for our problems. They have a strange hold on Africa, may God deliver us from them

Nigeria is better than Namibia? REALLY? hahahahaha you definitely havent got a clue my friend
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by wuwu(m): 11:44am On Mar 11, 2012
To my own best of knowledge nigeria is far beta dan some african countries..let's take a look at our economy,though we stil hav large unemployment but yet we stil hav good standard of living looking at d human resources we hav it,mineral resources we are leading in west africa..power politics we hav d second largest party in nigeria PDP..even wit d boko haram issue we stil hav peace in d country and I tink we can't be compared wit d likes of somalia,sudan zimbabwe to mention a few..let's take d issue of french speaking counties where by b4 spending any money from d govt account they take permission from d french govt having 20 percent access to their account we can stil see dat colonialism is stil in africa..which is now called neo colonialism which means new form of colonialism...wit some of dis few points I'm sure dat nigeria is better dan african countries..
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by 360command: 9:26pm On Mar 11, 2012
NIGERIA can be better than some countries in Africa but we just have failed out-rightly in certain areas.Let us take for instance power supply in Nigeria, it is very bad. To start with the West African countries i have been to, Benin, Togo,cote d voire, they are all having light 24/7 . i have friends from burkina faso living in Ghana who tells me they have constant light in their country.If a country like Burkina should have light, why is Nigeria's own different?

I do tell my Ivorian friend living in Ghana where i study that NIGERIA IS THE GIANT OF AFRICA(I say this because i feel proud about Nigeria). He says to me that the countries of the francophone regions or ivory coast in particular do not know it to be 'The Giant of Africa' but THE GIANT OF AFRICA WITH THE FEET OF CLAY'; This cannot be disputed but a fact. Our foundation is shaken- power inefficiency, security issues, political instability etc.

There is one thing i do tell them all, despite the fact that he says we are THE GIANT OF AFRICA WITH THE FEET OF CLAY ,our economy is doing very well. at least he can see for himself that Nigerian businesses are springing up across other African countries such as banks,insurance, telecoms etc so he should tell me what has his countries offered to the African region aside from they been the world leaders of cocoa..

So i say to you nairalanders, Nigeria is better or can be better than some African countries but depends on how you put it.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by chucky234(m): 12:26am On Mar 12, 2012
I Nigeria is far better is far better than so many African countries including Ghana,I often wonder why people keep comparing Ghana to Nigeria forgetting that the size of Ghana equals the smallest state in Nigeria.
Aside roads Nigeria is better than so many African nations in the area of infrastructures,bank buildings in most African countries I have visited are smaller than major supermarket buildings in Nigeria but they are edifices here.
Economically Tanzania,Botswana,Angola,SA and Ghana are doing great but thats no say Nigeria is doing badly economically as the cost running the Nigerian economic great exceed that of any of the above mentioned countries.
Our major problem in Nigeria is bad and dishonest leadership,someone mentioned Senegal being a better place to live than Nigerian but Dakar is more like Lokoja and in same league with cities like Lagos,Abuja,PH and Calabar.
Politically I think Nigeria has performed below average compare to even smaller nations like Ghana and the root of our economic crises.
In summary,Naija rocks.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nkonkonsa: 3:46pm On Mar 12, 2012
chucky234: I Nigeria is far better is far better than so many African countries including Ghana,I often wonder why people keep comparing Ghana to Nigeria forgetting that the size of[b] Ghana equals the smallest state in Nigeria[/b].
Aside roads Nigeria is better than so many African nations in the area of infrastructures,bank buildings in most African countries I have visited are smaller than major supermarket buildings in Nigeria but they are edifices here.
Economically Tanzania,Botswana,Angola,SA and Ghana are doing great but thats no say Nigeria is doing badly economically as the cost running the Nigerian economic great exceed that of any of the above mentioned countries.
Our major problem in Nigeria is bad and dishonest leadership,someone mentioned Senegal being a better place to live than Nigerian but Dakar is more like Lokoja and in same league with cities like Lagos,Abuja,PH and Calabar.
Politically I think Nigeria has performed below average compare to even smaller nations like Ghana and the root of our economic crises.
In summary,Naija rocks.

"Ghana equals the smallest state in Nigeria".... are you nuts! Ghana is one-third the size of Nigeria. Check the maps. As a matter of fact Ghana is equal in size to the entire UK, and equal in population to Australia! Have you resulted to blatant lies just to make a point?
And in any case, what has the size of Ghana got to do with anything - Switzerland is smaller than Nigeria, with an even smaller population why don't Nigerians brag about how much bigger they are than Switzerland, and how much bigger their economy is - yes, Nigeria's economy is terms of GDP is bigger than Switzerland's. But we all know that is a mute point - STANDARD OF LIVING IS WHAT COUNTS MORE !

plzUSE your head!
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by OneNaira6: 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2012
In Nigeria and it's citizen dreams, it is. Nigeria is performing below average when compared to other African nation. Nigeria is better than some East African countries like Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Sudan (south and north) and maybe, just maybe, Uganda. It is better than two or three west african country like Mali, Niger and Guinea and One Central African country,Congo. Other than them, every other African country is better than Nigeria in living standard, Human GDP, security, Infrastructure, etc.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by ak47mann(m): 6:55pm On Mar 12, 2012
One_Naira: In Nigeria and it's citizen dreams, it is. Nigeria is performing below average when compared to other African nation. Nigeria is better than some East African countries like Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Sudan (south and north) and maybe, just maybe, Uganda. It is better than two or three west african country like Mali, Niger and Guinea and One Central African country,Congo. Other than them, every other African country is better than Nigeria in living standard, Human GDP, security, Infrastructure, etc.
is a shame.that country is too big for black people to manage,they need to divide the country 2015 will tell..............
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by andrewza: 6:03pm On Mar 13, 2012
personally i think South Africa is the best. Strong economy and great public service for a African nation. Yes there are problems crime and ADIS the biggest of them, but we are making progress which is good.

On Nigeria you not the worst. I guess it is all about where you go there.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Jameni: 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2012
Considering its geographical size and abundance in natural resources like oil, Nigeria should be the richest country in Africa. Unfortunately, Nigeria is a laughingstock in Africa. Nigerians have to line up at gas stations to get rationed gas, yet Nigeria is one of the worlds biggest oil producers. Nigeria is a great disappointment. Look to countries like South Africa, Mauritius, Botswana and Namibia to see real African success stories.

Nigeria has great potential but is a complete failure in reality.Nigeria is like a 7-foot tall, muscle-bound man with a 2-inch penis.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Rossikk(m): 4:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
Nwogbe: Those of us that have been privileged to travel widely in Africa  can attest & also tell u categorically that Nigeria ranks amongst the best three countries in Africa. Take it or leave it.

Don't mind these guys. When you visit some of these African countries and venture outside their capitals, that is when you'll realise how far Nigeria has come. In my days in the US I knew one Ugandan guy who could never understand why I kept talking about ''my village'' in Naija, or why I always visited my village at christmas etc. He said his own village in Uganda doesn't even have a ROAD that leads to it. As in not even an untarred road. Just a bush path - if you could find it. No electricity, no markets, shops, or any kind of services. Just mud huts and poor folk.

I told him that 'the village' as far as concerns Nigeria is a very very different kettle of fish - vibrant, with markets, masquerades, festivals, churches, bars, hotels and even mansions. He still couldn't understand. cool He said ''do you mean in the city?'' I said no, in my village. The guy was just looking at me. grin
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Rossikk:

Don't mind these guys. When you visit some of these African countries and venture outside their capitals, that is when you'll realise how far Nigeria has come. In my days in the US I knew one Ugandan guy who could never understand why I kept talking about ''my village'' in Naija, or why I always visited my village at christmas etc. He said his own village in Uganda doesn't even have a ROAD that leads to it. As in not even an untarred road. Just a bush path - if you could find it. No electricity, no markets, shops, or any kind of services. Just mud huts and poor folk.

I told him that 'the village' as far as concerns Nigeria is a very very different kettle of fish - vibrant, with markets, masquerades, festivals, churches, bars, hotels and even mansions. He still couldn't understand. cool He said ''do you mean in the city?'' I said no, in my village. The guy was just looking at me. grin
Another Nigerian braggart!

There are lot of villages in Nigeria without electricity and tarred roads, and all those things you listed. There are many countries in Africa which is far developed than Nigeria in term of those basic facilities. FYI, Nigeria will no come out 3rd as you are alluding to here.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Rossikk(m): 3:52pm On Sep 11, 2012
all4naija: Another Nigerian braggart!

Another Nigeria hayrer!

There are lot of villages in Nigeria without electricity and tarred roads, and all those things you listed.

Who said there were no villages without those things in Nigeria?

There are many countries in Africa which is far developed than Nigeria in term of those basic facilities.

Name them!!!

I just showed you that Kenya has electricity coverage of 16% for the country. In Ghana 40% are connected to their national grid. That's about 10 million people or less than half the population of Lagos. So who are these ''many African countries'' you're on about?

FYI, Nigeria will no come out 3rd as you are alluding to here.

In Nigeria, 50.6% of the 160 million population (ie 82 million people) are connected to the national grid (at last count in 2009). That figure continues to rise, and is starting to impact lives positively as power generation and supply radically improve under the Jonathan administration.

''The Access to electricity (% of population) in Nigeria was 50.60 in 2009, according to a World Bank report, published in 2010. Access to electricity is the percentage of population with access to electricity.''

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/access-to-electricity-percent-of-population-wb-data.html
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 11, 2012
Rossikk:

Another Nigeria hater!

What a stupid thing to type. Who said there were no villages without those things in Nigeria?

I just showed you that Kenya has electricity coverage of 16% for the country. In Ghana 40% are connected to their national grid. That's about 10 million people.

FYI, Nigeria will no come out 3rd as you are alluding to here.

In Nigeria, 50.6% of the 160 million population (ie 82 million people) are connected to the national grid. That figure continues to rise despite much vaunted political drawbacks.

''The Access to electricity (% of population) in Nigeria was 50.60 in 2009, according to a World Bank report, published in 2010. Access to electricity is the percentage of population with access to electricity.''

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/access-to-electricity-percent-of-population-wb-data.html
You're speaking to a Nigerian, dude. Those your statistics are flaunted and based on guess work, not the reality on ground. The Nigeria cities take close to 90% of the chunk of the 50.6% you are giving here despite the largest population still live in the rural areas.

In terms of basic facilities, all North Africa countries are better. Mauritius, Seychelles,Cape Verde, Namibia,South Africa, Angola, Botswana,etc

What is the percentage of the population of those countries you made mentioned in comparison to Nigeria?

Indeed,you are just another individual who is blinded to the reality on ground in finding better solutions.

Please, give me a break from those lies of yours!
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Rossikk(m): 4:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
all4naija: You're speaking to a Nigerian, dude. Those your statistics are flaunted and based on guess work, not the reality on ground.

You do NOT know the ''reality on the ground''. The ONLY way you can know it is by RESEARCH, which YOU have not conducted, and are therefore in no position to question the World Bank study.

The Nigeria cities take close to 90% of the chunk of the 50.6% you are giving here despite the largest population still live in the rural areas.

Wrong. HALF the Nigerian population today live in cities. Your information is outdated.

''The Rural population in Nigeria was last reported at 79,528,437.36 in 2010, according to a World Bank report published in 2012''

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/rural-population-wb-data.html

Indeed,you are just another individual who is blinded to the reality on ground in finding better solutions.

Please, give me a break from those lies of yours!

YOU are the one peddling lies based on zero research, or at best, beer parlour research.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Rossikk:

You do NOT know the ''reality on the ground''. The ONLY way you can know it is by RESEARCH, which YOU have not conducted, and are therefore in no position to question the World Bank study.

Wrong. HALF the Nigerian population today live in cities. Your information is outdated.

''The Rural population in Nigeria was last reported at 79,528,437.36 in 2010, according to a World Bank report published in 2012''

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/rural-population-wb-data.html

YOU are the one peddling lies based on zero research, or at best, beer parlour research.
You are very quick to post statistic with wrong proofs. At 79,528,437.36 when Nigerian population was 154 million proves the largest part of the population live in the rural areas. 79,528,437.36 * 2 =159,095,687.72. Please...

Even with what you are insinuating here how does the rural area now have electricity and tarred roads, when the cities are lacking them?

It is a shame your research is proving you wrong. Stop peddling lies in a forum like this.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Rossikk(m): 4:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
all4naija: You are very quick to post statistic with wrong proofs. At 79,528,437.36 when Nigerian population was 154 million proves the largest part of the population live in the rural areas. 79,528,437.36 * 2 =159,095,687.72. Please...

Nigeria's population is 162 million:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=-UXl21ni9_slKFOT520wNQ&cp=11&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=nigeria+population&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=nigeria+pop&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=7111783c0f23c04b&biw=1024&bih=618

Even with what you are insinuating here how does the rural area now have electricity and tarred roads, when the cities are lacking them?

You sound dense. Do you actually travel around Nigeria?

It is a shame your research is proving you wrong. Stop peddling lies in a forum like this.

You wouldn't know the truth if it walked up to your dumb face and punched it.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
Rossikk:

Nigeria's population is 162 million:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=-UXl21ni9_slKFOT520wNQ&cp=11&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=nigeria+population&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=nigeria+pop&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=7111783c0f23c04b&biw=1024&bih=618

You sound dense. Do you actually travel around Nigeria?

You wouldn't know the truth if it walked up to your dumb face and punched it.
The statistic you posted was for 2010 when the population was 154 million. The rural people are the ones who increase the population most because they don't practice birth control and lack things to control the population. So, it is evident that the rural population must have increased the population progressively in a chart comparing it to your Google link!

"I wouldn't know the truth...", you said!Dude, stop humiliating yourself with your failure to prove your points. They are contradictory already.

Please, relief yourself of those lies you are trying to carry on with in this forum!
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
If we are going to succeed in developing Nigeria truth and reality must be our watchwords! Not until then people like you pedaling false statements will keep holding some segments of the nation down while thinking it is a service to the nation - like the nationalist would do.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Rossikk(m): 7:32pm On Sep 11, 2012
all4naija: The statistic you posted was for 2010 when the population was 154 million. The rural people are the ones who increase the population most because they don't practice birth control and lack things to control the population. So, it is evident that the rural population must have increased the population progressively in a chart comparing it to your Google link!

"I wouldn't know the truth...", you said!Dude, stop humiliating yourself with your failure to prove your points. They are contradictory already.

Please, relief yourself of those lies you are trying to carry on with in this forum!

You have a lot of nerve, after providing ZERO documentary evidence for any of your assertions while manufacturing lies about the well-sourced evidence I'm posting. If you click on the source, the 162 million figure was dated 2011 by the World Bank, so my use of it is completely valid for the debate. In any case this is all diversionary - nit-picking over a percentage point here or there. The main points I've established are indisputable.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Appoints Auditors To Monitor States’ Finances / PDP Died Day Obasanjo Publicly Tore His Membership Card – Perry Opara / Falana Replies Presidency, FG Should Stop Subjecting Sowore To Media Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.