Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,825 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience (32333 Views)

Confusion In Customs As Newly Retired Officers Stay Put / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. / Nigerian Seamen Date Other Race? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by Mickky85: 2:48am On Oct 30, 2013
iKoksi:

2. Wat position are you looking at on Product Takers? Mandatory Courses, International Passport are also part of min requirements for ay position
4. there'r couple of ship/rig manning agencies, mostly in Lagos and PH.
5. some Nija guys have graduated from Poland Maritime and doing well.

After graduating, no job, I opt for a professional program nautical science (coxswain). I'm kinda like the poster in that I've been able to acquire all the necessary maritime documents but I seriously and urgently needs seaterm. I've done the nimasa SID hoping that they would call on me some time, and I've submitted CV to some companies too yet to hear anything, I dont want to wait forever untill all my documents will expire. @ikoksi do you know of any manning/crewing agency that can help facilitate this as I dont want to fall victim of fake agents. Bien merci!
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by chillopepper: 10:18pm On Nov 11, 2014
goodevening peeps...
pls which of these country is best for me to do my EOOW course INDIA and EGYPT? and which school can o e recommend for me in India or Egypt that run d EOOW course
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by sholex14: 8:35am On Mar 07, 2015
gud day hause am Raheem mustapha, marine engineering student of yabatech.plsss am looking 4 a beta place to obtain my mandatory and also a mentor on my career...can any1 pls help
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by captainmichaelo: 9:13am On Mar 07, 2015
sholex14:
gud day hause am Raheem mustapha, marine engineering student of yabatech.plsss am looking 4 a beta place to obtain my mandatory and also a mentor on my career...can any1 pls help

Well, usually for u to Hv d eligibility to go onboard u need some mandatory certifications which includes # pst, pssr, efa, n anoda one can't remember now# den oil tanker familiarization. These courses used to b conducted only in maritime academy of Nigeria Oron Akwa ibom. Buh u can easily do dem in lagos now at Coastal marine 15b awolowo way ikoyi just bsyd efcc sign board. U can ask for directions Wen u get there. I don't work with dem though just helping u out as an aspiring seaman cos one can easily get confused without adequate info.. U can send me a mail on captainmichaelo@gmail.com for further questions n mentorship.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by lugard234: 8:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
How much is Seaman Discharge Book and where can I do it in Lagos?
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by engrvik: 9:47am On Jul 09, 2015
Som1 pls help asap. I hv b.ENG MECH., stwc, intl pp, yelocard, seaman rdischarge as OS an AS can these qualify me to apply for watchkeeping? Anything else?
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by Pamelayoung: 9:22am On Aug 01, 2015
Konjour:
I dont want to debunk the claims of some of the fellow posters on this thread so as not to derail the purpose of the thread in the first place. @Poster,I was advising you about trying to acquire a couple more certificates before venturing to sea to enable you join a ship as a cadet and not as a rating,but if as you quipped before,you'd like to join as a rating,no problem,its your choice. However,if you can afford it,you'd find my advise useful in the long term. Cheers.

I wish to work on board a cruise ship, I have passion 4 sailing n I'd love to see the world.
How do I go abt it? Do I need to get a bsc in nautical sci to achieve this.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by Konjour(m): 7:22pm On Aug 01, 2015
Pamelayoung:

I wish to work on board a cruise ship, I have passion 4 sailing n I'd love to see the world.
How do I go abt it? Do I need to get a bsc in nautical sci to achieve this.

You do not need a degree to work aboard an international cruise ship. The crew of a cruise ship are engaged in activities that are as diverse as the nationalities of the passengers of the ship in order to keep her functional (I admit i slightly exaggerated there, but I suppose you get the drift). The biggest obstacle to your passions being fulfilled is that the cruising industry in Africa is virtually non-existent save for a few spots like Cape town and Alexandria where some of the ships sailing around the world might sail close to, or berth in. Thus, getting jobs on cruise liners might be especially hard to get from Nigeria. In terms of the certification needed, you must be proficient, first of all, in a core job that might be required at anytime on board a cruise ship e.g International catering, Hotel management etc then you would also need some up-to-date STCW/HTW certification. All you'd need from then on would be a significant cache of good luck.

If you happen to have a degree in Nautical science tho' especially from a reputable University plus an unlimited operating license from a reputable flag (country), you'd definitely be in a better stead to gain employment on a cruise ship as a deck officer, which is a world away in terms of bettering your professional and personal prospects positively. Wish you all the best. Cheers.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by Pamelayoung: 11:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
Konjour:

You do not need a degree to work aboard an international cruise ship. The crew of a cruise ship are engaged in activities that are as diverse as the nationalities of the passengers of the ship in order to keep her functional (I admit i slightly exaggerated there, but I suppose you get the drift). The biggest obstacle to your passions being fulfilled is that the cruising industry in Africa is virtually non-existent save for a few spots like Cape town and Alexandria where some of the ships sailing around the world might sail close to, or berth in. Thus, getting jobs on cruise liners might be especially hard to get from Nigeria. In terms of the certification needed, you must be proficient, first of all, in a core job that might be required at anytime on board a cruise ship e.g International catering, Hotel management etc then you would also need some up-to-date STCW/HTW certification. All you'd need from then on would be a significant cache of good luck.

If you happen to have a degree in Nautical science tho' especially from a reputable University plus an unlimited operating license from a reputable flag (country), you'd definitely be in a better stead to gain employment on a cruise ship as a deck officer, which is a world away in terms of bettering your professional and personal prospects positively. Wish you all the best. Cheers.

Tnx alot, u sound very knowledgeable abt d industry. Now if I decide to take on international catering for instance, don't the cruise line have opening for trainee n in terms of job placement hope they don't discriminate against blacks.
I really want to sail, even if it be 4 a short time b/4 retiring to work on land.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by preshlysoundz(m): 5:11am On Aug 17, 2015
Hello house,i am a physics electronics graduate,i did my marine mandatories from joe marine institute warri,i would like to go on to oron for oow,i really don't know how to go about it. Any ideas?
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by Etizz: 11:31am On Aug 26, 2015
Hello, I seriously need a help, i need to know d major credentials to acquire before going on board the ship as a DECK HAND and the major function of a DECK HAND on board the ship.. ... I so appreciate your response.... Thanks.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 11:01am On Nov 22, 2015
Intended Seafarer who had degrees from other institute especially from commercial and art field, am very sorry to inform you that they are in- relevant in this sector. As seafarers we deal on licences. but for those of you who study science related courses especially Engineering has advantage over other degree holders when it comes to obtain you licence EOOW and OOW. If you have any difficulty in obtaining any document you may add me up on whatsapp 08139388136 or call me.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 11:06am On Nov 22, 2015
To Obtain your Discharge and watchkeeping call me on 08139388136
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by havocypie: 2:29pm On Nov 22, 2015
Am a Mechanical engineering graduate, I've acquired my Mandatory courses certificate, medical fitness certificate, Int Passport, yellow fever, Discharge book but since 9 months now after I finished my trainings I'm yet to get an invitations from all of the shipping company I applied to in Lagos. I even had to collect recommendation letters from NIMASA yet they ignored it.

Pls, if any one have an advice or information to relate to me kindly do am on 08098802452.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 4:01am On Jan 05, 2016
Getting a job onboard an ship with a good paying salary could be some how difficult, but with just a link you dream comes true and feel is that easy. you need to register with agents who can deliver, they will scout for placement for you, with less stress in ur own side. For further enquiries contact me on 08139388136.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 4:07am On Jan 05, 2016
Getting a job onboard an ship with a good paying salary could be some how difficult, but with just a link you dream comes true and feel is that easy. you need to register with agents who can deliver, they will scout for placement for you, with less stress in ur own side. For links and enquiries contact me on 08139388136.

Note: Procrastinators keep off.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 6:06am On Mar 30, 2016
Ongoing job recruitment on a multinational vessel demanding for the following Positions experienced and competent Seafarers. – Engine Rating
– Deck Rating
– Offshore Cook
– Electrician
– Third engineer. Forward your CV to vydae@yahoo.com or contact 08139388136
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 3:57am On Jun 23, 2016
Some of you seems to be acting smarter, but you are the most stupid.....I now understand most of you on this trend want free things. if you can't afford my consulting fee pls there is no need contacting me. Those of you on this trend helping their fiance searching for links and after all they tend to act smarter. pls if you are the type stay off this trend else you might end up putting the concern seafarer into more problem and they might end up not getting that job and still will get frustrated.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 3:58am On Jun 23, 2016
Some of you seems to be acting smarter, but you are the most stupid.....I now understand most of you on this trend want free things. if you can't afford my consulting fee pls there is no need contacting me. Those of you on this trend helping their fiance searching for links and after all they tend to act smarter. pls if you are the type stay off this trend else you might end up putting the concern seafarer into more problem and they might end up not getting that job and still will get frustrated. my links are sure and not for free.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by Kingzy4pep(m): 7:52pm On Aug 10, 2016
iKoksi:
Guys i presume others might benefit if we do an open discussion rather than private mails.
Please share your concerns/experience here, we'll try to sort out as much.
Seafaring in Nigeria is just picking up speed, if 'by luck' PIB & Cabotage law are fully enforced then we'll be looking at the bright side.
Then also we need to pray for NIMASA to wake up to their responsibilities.
I sent you a pm. Please acknowledge it.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by woblow1(m): 5:00pm On Aug 26, 2016
Please I need information on how to obtain deck officer certificate in Lagos
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 12:09am On Aug 30, 2016
Crew urgently needed : co, 2o, 3o, 2e, 3e, 4e, eto, fitter ...those with lng experiece will be a advantage. All documents should be forward to tesraworld@gmail.com NOTE : Only Experienced and valid documents should be forwarded and subject should be your Rank/Position you applying for.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 12:45am On Aug 30, 2016
Urgent Vacancies needed to be filled up on a new LNG vessel Abroad. For the following Positions;

Chief Officer
2nd Officer
3rd Officer

2nd Engr
3rd Engr
4th Engr
ETO
Fitter

Complete scanned copies of credentials should be forwarded to;
tesraworld@gmail.com

NOTE: Only crews with LNG and Tanker Experience will be considered.

contact ; 08151911884 for more enquiries
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 2:21am On Sep 05, 2016
For any assistance into Maritime School in Poland, Southampton UK, and any documents from Nimasa and job placement onboard contact me on 08139388136 whatsapp enabled or send me an email.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 2:31am On Sep 05, 2016
For admission procurement in southampton UK, Poland, Ghana Document from Nimasa Job Placement....cadet, Rating and Officer.
contact me on.....08139388136.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by LodJayYou: 3:38pm On Sep 21, 2016
Please any house any one with idea on how to get a discharge booklet cos so far it's not in circulation. Thanks
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 3:32am On Sep 27, 2016
For now discharge is said to be un-available.
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 9:27am On Mar 07, 2017
what is the possibility of an oiler becoming a deck officer and what are the basic requirement he may need to switch over?
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by rukky44: 3:24pm On Nov 27, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Employers are flooded with resumes. Depending on your industry and the company, they sometimes have to look through hundreds of resumes just to fill a single position.

Most resumes get ignored because they...
1. Don't Stand Out - The very first thing someone notices on a resume is design. A generic or dated resume design is the number one way to fast-track a resume to rejection.

2. Are Irrelevant - most resumes are irrelevant, meaning they don't have the skills or experience to qualify for the job. If you're a relevant candidate, make sure your resume reads that way with similar phrases and keywords from the specific job description. You should always customize each resume for the specific job and profession you're applying for. Don't be generic!

3. Use Bad Formatting - If your resume stands out and you're a relevant candidate who is still getting rejected, check your formatting. Many modern companies use software to automatically screen resumes. If your resume is difficult for a computer program to process for things like keywords, experience level, etc... your formatting could be to blame for your job search setbacks. Our premium designs use field-tested resume formats designed to be read by humans and computers alike.

If you need any of our service please send a reply here and I shall
respond with more details as soon as I can.

Stay Safe & Warm regards
Tesra-Til Group

Olori Oghenerukevwe O. (HND Mech Engr, HSE, HLO)

Maintenace & Safety Engr
Mechanical Engineering(Graduate).

Staff at Tesra-Til World Enterprises.

14, Unity Avenue Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria.

whatsapp Only: 08139388136(9am - 5pm, weekdays)
Email: tesraworld@gmail.com (24/7)
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by maxlev1: 1:37pm On Nov 23, 2023
rukky44:
what is the possibility of an oiler becoming a deck officer and what are the basic requirement he may need to switch over?
Mr Rukky44 it has been a while you posted on the thread. Hope you are good!
Re: Seamen: Ratings, Officers, Engineers, Captains: Please Share Your Experience by chiboy441(m): 2:57am On Apr 24
rukky44:

Oiler can convert to AB, but the sea experience as oiler will not count on while upgrading to officers rank. AB will need 36 months of sea experience before upgrading to 4th/3rd class officer. Same goes to Oiler working with the engineers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Magistrate Denies A Muslim Counsel Audience For Wearing Hijab / How I Moved From Management Trainee To Assistant Manager Within 4 Years. / Daniel Joshua Reveals Why He Returned 3 Months N-Power Stipends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.