Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group (41996 Views)

The 3 Largest Ethnic Groups Are Hausa,igbo,kanuri / The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria / Odumchi: Yorubas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 24, 2012
I just noticed some people commenting didn't attend primary school. Why won't u know ijaw as the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria?
Don't u read at home? Pls you now have a phone that can browse, make use of it.... We shouldn't play politics here(maybe because d president is an ijaw man)
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ijawcitizen(m): 10:43am On Sep 24, 2012
Dede1:

I did not call you and your forbearers change artists for nothing. If Brass came from Ijo phrase instead of the corrugated metal sheet used in making salt out of sea water, I wondered why it was not Brassama since everything in Ijo’s foolery ends with “AMA”. Did the Europeans forgot something here?

I must conclude you are looking more foolish than your forbearers in the act of self-denial. The majority of people who are latter known as Ijo were from the area of Gold Coast known today as Ghana. They were practically boat people who later moved inland with European explorers as porters.
MR DEDE, YOU WONT STOP SURPRISING ME WITH UR SILY STORIES, PLS TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE "EJIKE" THAT FOUNDED TWON BRASS. I'M WAITING
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Afam4eva(m): 11:10am On Sep 24, 2012
Who even opened this thread sef...na waoo grin grin grin
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ijawcitizen(m): 11:23am On Sep 24, 2012
Dede1:

I did not call you and your forbearers change artists for nothing. If Brass came from Ijo phrase instead of the corrugated metal sheet used in making salt out of sea water, I wondered why it was not Brassama since everything in Ijo’s foolery ends with “AMA”. Did the Europeans forgot something here?

I must conclude you are looking more foolish than your forbearers in the act of self-denial. The majority of people who are latter known as Ijo were from the area of Gold Coast known today as Ghana. They were practically boat people who later moved inland with European explorers as porters.
THERE ARES SO MANY IJAW TOWNS ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST THAT ARE INTO SALT MAKING, WHY ARE THEY NOT ALSO CALLED BRASS. FOOLISH IGBO MAN!
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 12:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
Dede1 could you please provide any evidence of these your insinuations because they seem kind of unsubstantiated to me. For example, is there any lingual similarity between Akan and Ijaw to start with? Phenotypicaly, I noticed that they have the same level of darkness but nothing more after that.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
And the word Igbo is from the Edo word Igbon. The people were referred to as Igbon by the Edos cos of their ape like physique.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by chyz(m): 2:25pm On Sep 24, 2012
killayut: And the word Igbo is from the Edo word Igbon. The people were referred to as Igbon by the Edos cos of their ape like physique.

Stop deceiving yourself. They never refered to Igbos as apes. They recognized Igbos by their clans and that is only the clans that were neighboring them.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:25pm On Sep 24, 2012
chyz:

Stop deceiving yourself. They never refered to Igbos as apes. They recognized Igbos by their clans and that is only the clans that were neighboring them.

Its good to ignore sometimes.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
chyz:

So the use of Igbo on a people started with the people neighboring the Edos who look like apes right ?
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 24, 2012
Is it also true that the AROCHUKWU IGBOS ran away When they first saw KALABARI people wearing the Portuguese Etibo ( don ) cloth at the mouth of the CALABAR river ? They thought the KALABARI IJAWS were strange beings with angelic covering.

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by chyz(m): 6:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
killayut:

So the use of Igbo on a people started with the people neighboring the Edos who look like apes right ?

Another reason why the Ijaw will always be beneath us. Go back and reread my comment.

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by dayokanu(m): 6:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Shameless fool,when did the Igbo claim 60million ? And what did the topic say again. You are a block head!

The EzeYibo wuruwuru on NL

Onlytruth: And I personally believe that because of our spread in Nigeria, Ndigbo stand the best chance of ALWAYS producing Nigeria's presidents. Somehow we dropped the ball in the past.
I think it is time we grab our future by the throat!

Imagine a 60 million voting block! shocked

Umu Igbo we can do it! cool
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 7:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
killayut: Is it also true that the AROCHUKWU IGBOS ran away When they first saw KALABARI people wearing the Portuguese Etibo ( don ) cloth at the mouth of the CALABAR river ? They thought the KALABARI IJAWS were strange beings with angelic covering.
The Ijaw rectum dwelling monkey, it's high time you come up with a proof of what you are writing here. All this stories your illiterate parents told you is boring us. Why not respect the Aros that has achieved more than the ijaw nation in this Nigeria. Are you really silly in real life or just in nairaland?.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 7:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
chyz:

Another reason why the Ijaw will always be beneath us. Go back and reread my comment.
WORD.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 7:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
killayut: Is it also true that the AROCHUKWU IGBOS ran away When they first saw KALABARI people wearing the Portuguese Etibo ( don ) cloth at the mouth of the CALABAR river ? They thought the KALABARI IJAWS were strange beings with angelic covering.

Hope you are aware that Cross River people including Aro and Eastern Igbos wore a more sophisticated version of that "etibo".

2 Likes

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ijawcitizen(m): 7:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
WELL, HAVING SUCESSFULLY ENLIGHTENING & DEFEATED THE IGBO HOSTILITIES, I, THE OGBOLOTEBEPUGHA 1 OF IJAWLAND HEREBY REAFFIRM IJAW AS THE 4TH LARGEST ETHNIC NATION IN THE ABOUT-TO-BE-DEFUNCT NIGERIAN POLITY. (APPLAUDS)

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Ngodigha1(m): 7:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
ijaw citizen: WELL, HAVING SUCESSFULLY ENLIGHTENING & DEFEATED THE IGBO HOSTILITIES, I, THE OGBOLOTEBEPUGHA 1 OF IJAWLAND HEREBY REAFFIRM IJAW AS THE 4TH LARGEST ETHNIC NATION IN THE ABOUT-TO-BE-DEFUNCT NIGERIAN POLITY. (APPLAUDS)
No, you are wrong as always. The Efik-Ibibios are more than the Ijaws in population.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Dede1(m): 9:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
Abagworo: Dede1 could you please provide any evidence of these your insinuations because they seem kind of unsubstantiated to me. For example, is there any lingual similarity between Akan and Ijaw to start with? Phenotypicaly, I noticed that they have the same level of darkness but nothing more after that.

I owe no duty of substantiation to any moronic Ijo about their ancestral background. The main denial artists knew when Ijo evolved and how the polity in Nigeria pressured them to slide into the path of perpetual self denial. Even the so-called cultural attire of Ijo reeks of attire commonly found around Akwampim-Togo range.

Ijo are not nothing but boat people who were better known as European porters.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 9:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
Dede1:

I owe no duty of substantiation to any moronic Ijo about their ancestral background. The main denial artists knew when Ijo evolved and how the polity in Nigeria pressured them to slide into the path of perpetual self denial. Even the so-called cultural attire of Ijo reeks of attire commonly found around Akwampim-Togo range.

Ijo are not nothing but boat people who were better known as European porters.

Dede1 you know what it means to make ignorant statements and its effects on your personality. I'm not saying there might not be some people dropped by Europeans at the coast because I know of some families in Rivers State that were brought from Sierra Leone by Europeans but they are also known by their host communities as settled strangers that have been absorbed. Ijaw has always been around to the best of my knowledge.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ijawcitizen(m): 9:49pm On Sep 24, 2012
Abagworo:

Dede1 you know what it means to make ignorant statements and its effects on your personality. I'm not saying there might not be some people dropped by Europeans at the coast because I know of some families in Rivers State that were brought from Sierra Leone by Europeans but they are also known by their host communities as settled strangers that have been absorbed. Ijaw has always been around to the best of my knowledge.
MR ABAGWWORO YOU IMPRESS ME SOMETIMES!
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 25, 2012
chyz:

But Ijaws are already on top you. You copy every Ijaw thing. From Ijaw attire to Ijaw food and now you have been begging to be with the Ijaws.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 25, 2012
Abagworo:

Hope you are aware that Cross River people including Aro and Eastern Igbos wore a more sophisticated version of that "etibo".

LOL shut up and stop copying Ijaw Etibo.. You dont even know the meaning of ETIBO. Even the Cross Rivers will tell you that they copied it from the Ijaws. As per the AROS you were naked and using leaves to clean your ass after you defecate when you saw Ijaw people wearing Etibo
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 11:35am On Jun 23, 2013
FOM WIKIPEDIA AND CITYPOPULATION RESEARCH IN 2006: IJAW LOCAL GOVT IN DELTA, AND ONDO STATE IS 500,000:

1.) DELTA STATE:
a.)URHOBO LAND: 1,575,738

Uvwie 191, 472
Ughelli N. 213, 576
Ughelli S. 321,028
Sapele 171, 888
Ethiope W. 203,592
Ethiope E. 200,792
Udu 143,361

b.)IGBO/IGBOID LAND: 1,229,500

Ika N.E. 183,800
Ika S. 162,600

Aniocha N. 104,700
Oshimilli N. 115,300
Aniocha S. 140,600
Oshimilli S.(Asaba) 149,600

Ukwuani 120,300
Ndoka E. 103,100
Ndoka W. 149,500

c.)ITSEKIRI LAND: 557,398

Warri S. 303,417
Warri N. 135,300
Warri S.W. 116,681

d.)ISOKO LAND: 355,347

Isoko N. 130,200
Isoko S. 225,147

e.)IJAW LAND: 350,790

Burutu 207,977
Patani 67,707
Bomadi 86,016

2.)ONDO STATE

Ese Odo 154,978
(NOTE: The local govt, ESE ODO, is not exclusive Apoi and Arogbo Ijaw, as its capital, IGBOKODA, is an Ilaje-Yoruba land; and its former chairman/councillor was also Yoruba).

This is 2006, from wikipedia, both Bomadi and Burutu figures are from citypopulation.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 11:48am On Jun 23, 2013
Delta population link

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_State

Burutu link

www.citypopulation.de/php/nigeria-admin.php?adm2id=1004

Bomadi link

www.citypopulation.de/php/nigeria-admin.php?adm2id=1003

Ese Odo link

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ese_Odo
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 11:53am On Jun 23, 2013
olumidaie: FOM WIKIPEDIA AND CITYPEOPLE RESEARCH IN 2006: IJAW LOCAL GOVT IN DELTA, AND ONDO STATE IS 500,000:

1.) DELTA STATE:
a.)URHOBO LAND: 1,575,738

Uvwie 191, 472
Ughelli N. 213, 576
Ughelli S. 321,028
Sapele 171, 888
Ethiope W. 203,592
Ethiope E. 200,792
Udu 143,361

b.)IGBO/IGBOID LAND: 1,229,500

Ika N.E. 183,800
Ika S. 162,600

Aniocha N. 104,700
Oshimilli N. 115,300
Aniocha S. 140,600
Oshimilli S.(Asaba) 149,600

Ukwuani 120,300
Ndoka E. 103,100
Ndoka W. 149,500

c.)ITSEKIRI LAND: 557,398

Warri S. 303,417
Warri N. 135,300
Warri S.W. 116,681

d.)ISOKO LAND: 355,347

Isoko N. 130,200
Isoko S. 225,147

e.)IJAW LAND: 350,790

Burutu 207,977
Patani 67,707
Bomadi 86,016

2.)ONDO STATE

Ese Odo 156,400
(NOTE: The local govt, ESE ODO, is not exclusive Apoi and Arogbo Ijaw, as its capital, IGBOKODA, is an Ilaje-Yoruba land; and its former chairman/councillor was also Yoruba).

This is 2006, from wikipedia, both Bomadi and Burutu figures are from city people.

Nigeria's population has never been really counted and hence we neither know the actual population of Nigeria nor the Ijaw speaking people. Ijaw could be 1million or 30million; none of us knows for sure.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 11:56am On Jun 23, 2013
Abagworo:

Nigeria's population has never been really counted and hence we neither know the actual population of Nigeria nor the Ijaw speaking people. Ijaw could be 1million or 30million; none of us knows for sure.
at least going by census this is what is provided ok!!!!!!
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 12:06pm On Jun 23, 2013
olumidaie: at least going by census this is what is provided ok!!!!!!

It seems you are based in an advanced country where there exists authentic data. Our census in Nigeria is similar to our elections. Rigging, manipulations and competition is involved beyond the actual head count.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by PrinceB1(m): 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2013
[quote author=Abagworo]While it is not good for an Igbo like myself to talk about Ijaw, I'll have to refer you people to pre-colonial books. Ijaws actually occupied the waterside from around Bayelsa all the way to Lagos. They are actually not land people hence they tend to leave people to occupy lands which they 1st settled. The other half Ijaw known as Eastern Ijaw were not really Ijaw. Even Jonathans Ogbiya was not Ijaw. They called the West Ijaw and themselves by different names. Most of them have Igbo origin and Ijaw influence to form new ethnicities. Nembe/Brass, Ogbiya, Kalabari, Bonny and Opobo are some of the Eastern Ijaw groups. However they have recently decided to do away with their differences and come out with one voice as Ijaw, hence the claim of 4th largest ethnic group.

As for the ethnic composition of Rivers of which my mother is from, Ikwerre is the largest ethnic group with over 1.5 million people. Rivers State does not officially recognise Ijaw and Igbo as ethnic groups in the State.[/quote]
[color=#000099][/color]

The Ijaw in Rivers state are the Kalabari, Okrika, Bonny, Opobo,and Adoni. that make them the Largest ethnic group in R/s.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 1:24pm On Jun 23, 2013
Prince B.:
[/color][color=#000099][/color]

The Ijaw in Rivers state are the Kalabari, Okrika, Bonny, Opobo,and Adoni. that make them the Largest ethnic group in R/s.
hw would u claim 4th largest when u peeps are only located in Bayelsa; a state of 1.7-1.9 million, and Rivers; a state of over 5 million, with 700,000-850,000 Ogoni people(by wikipedia), Ikwerre, S.E. Igbo(Eche-Ogba and co), and other Ijaw. I doubt if Ijaw would number up to 2 million in Rivers, tens of thousand in Lagos(settlers aspecially Idumagbo and co) and few thousands in Edo, Akwa-Ibom and Imo.

Do the maths plus my stats in Delta, Ondo and else(9ja and jand) sums up to over 4 million; whereas, TIV, IBIBIO, EDO/EDOID, NUPE and KANURI surpass that figure.

WHERE DID YOU PEOPLE GET ADDITIONAL 10, 000, 000 PEOPLE
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 1:33pm On Jun 23, 2013
Abagworo:

It seems you are based in an advanced country where there exists authentic data. Our census in Nigeria is similar to our elections. Rigging, manipulations and competition is involved beyond the actual head count.

I know of those; especially counting of cattle, and I'm in Nigeria, but you can't convince me that Bayelsa was GROSSLY UNDERCOUNTED; a state, though rich, with excessive land, air and water polution, and only 9 local govts(least in Nigeria), 35 most populated state, haba!!!
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 1:48pm On Jun 23, 2013
olumidaie: I know of those; especially counting of cattle, and I'm in Nigeria, but you can't convince me that Bayelsa was GROSSLY UNDERCOUNTED; a state, though rich, with excessive land, air and water polution, and only 9 local govts(least in Nigeria), 35 most populated state, haba!!!

It shouldn't be a headache to anyone. The headache should be how to develop Nigeria, reduce tribalism and corruption. When all that is done, then a credible census can be conducted with ethnicity and religion included. As for now, all are mere speculations.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Sweetlemon(f): 1:51pm On Jun 23, 2013
ballabriggs: Igbo people like to "claim relationship". I see why Osuofia the great sang the song, "Know mw when I'm poor not when I am rich, you claim relationship". They claim everybody around the Niger Delta are their brothers because of oil. My question now is, where did the Igbo man originate from? They would tell you they are Jews and they originated from Israel. Yet there is no clear link between them and the Jews. Uwazurike at a time was deceiving the 'inaga' riders in Owerri that they were working towards "unrestricted entry for Biafran's to Israel". For what now, to spread their 'Otokoto' lifestyle? Me thinks the Igbo man was banished from Congo for fraudulent practices. I have enough prove to this.
Lol! Don't mind them!
We have NOTHING in common with Igbos. It's only other south-southerners that we can claim such with cos we have similar traits and dressing. Eg bowler hats, caftans, blouse and goerge, etc.
Also south-south men in general drink "kai kai" a lot and womanize more than most other men from other regions.
So Igbos, abeg park well, go and look for your own oil and stop claiming brotherhood with us cos of our oil.
Lol!

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Excited Residents Share Free Goat Meat To Celebrate Buhari's Return. Photos / Benue Massacre: Doyin Okupe Provides Shocking Revelations / Sanwo-Olu Donates Vehicles To Lagos State Judges (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.