Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,785 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Using Your Resume To Get The Desired Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Using Your Resume To Get The Desired Job (922 Views)

7 Major Reasons Why You Should Avoid Sending Your Resume To Recruiters / How To Increase Your Chance Of Getting Desired Job After Graduation / Join Me Praise Jesus I Got My Desired Job!!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Using Your Resume To Get The Desired Job by teenenny: 10:16am On Mar 13, 2012
In my seven years as a human resource professional; I have observed with deep regret, several applicants submit resume(s) that only qualify to be thrown into the thrash without given any further consideration. Resume-writing is a skill you fine-tune as you practice more often. You must know how to self-criticize, self-appraise and edit correctly. There are so many features to assist you along the way both on the internet or even the most basic form of edit on Microsoft Word (such as the review functions of spell-check, thesaurus and comparison)

Getting the perfect job is no small feat and your resume is your first opportunity to make a outstanding impression on the recruiter. It is a big deal - never trivialize its efficacy.
Here are some points to bear in mind as to prepare your resume:

1. Where the advertisement requires specific education or industry experience, do not apply if you do not qualify in any respect. However, if you qualify at least 85%, please by all means do apply.
2. Typos and spelling errors are very annoying to recruiters.
3. Keep it brief and simple.
4. The Career Statement or Profile Statement is to sell your individuality. Never blow your trumpet higher than your experience or educational qualifications, most recruiters can see through the charade.
5. Career Statements and Profile Statements are required to be job-specific. For example: Do not say you “close deals easily” unless you are applying for a marketing job, do not say you have impeccable communication skills and make grammatical errors in your resume (talk about irony)
6. Follow specific instructions given by the recruiter. For example: If you are required to use the Job title as the subject of the email, do not play funny by adding your name to it.
7. Display your skills by employing specific description of your work experience. (If you are seeking a position that requires experience, This is your strongest selling point)
8. Do not sound desperate in your cover letter or resume and most importantly your email. You are a unique individual, there are several recruiters looking out for someone with your unique personality, never sell yourself short. (Never title your letter “Application for any position available”)
9. When asked to send your resume by email, send your resume as an attachment. Do not just copy and paste as an email (for God’s sake, it always disjointed!) or send it as a scanned document (haba! an electronic copy is as original as the hardcopy). This shows you are not as computer literate as you want recruiters to believe. (The generally acceptable formats are pdf, word or excel)
10. Open up an email address that sounds and looks professional not “talktosexybaby@yahoo.com”. (Hilarious!!) You can always use the different variations of your name for example omayeli.richards@yahoo.com or Orichards@yahoo.com.
11. Never use vague career objectives for example “To improve the efficiency and productivity of ANY organization that can afford me the opportunity” Remember what we discussed about being job-specific.
12. Don’t break your activity chain. If you are yet to obtain admission to school or find work, join an activity group, work pro-bono in a charitable organization, take a course, start a small business and by all means get busy. Recruiters look out for innovative personnel, not lay-abouts.
13. It is better not to have references in your resume than to have references that either do not know you in person (and so cannot have any handy comment when called)or use a family member as referee (even with a different surname, when called impromptu, they readily give you away)
14. Always keep track of your applications and have a list of the position and the company you applied to. Never call to ask which position you applied for, it just shows you really do not have a specific professional area of interest.
15. A good resume must highlight your educational qualifications and details of your work experience.

You can get in touch with me by email for further clarification - teenenny@gmail.com
Re: Using Your Resume To Get The Desired Job by mcchegzy(m): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2012
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Wellness Home Nigeria. Urgent Recruitment / Ethic Communication Ltd / Feedback From British American Tobacco (BAT) ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.