Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court (3595 Views)

Breaking: Mama Taraba Wins At Appeal Court / Judgment In Wike’s Appeal Ongoing At Appeal Court / Eligibility: PDP Congratulates Jonathan For Victory At Appeal Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Afam4eva(m): 6:42pm On Mar 14, 2012
Andy Uba losses again at Appeal Court
On March 14, 2012 · In News
4:10 pm
Email0

By Tony Edike

ENUGU – THE Court of Appeal sitting in Enugu, Wednesday, struck out a petition brought before it by candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for Anambra South senatorial election, Senator Andy Uba, asking it to set aside the December 22, 2011 verdict that nullified his election.

Chairman of the panel, Justice Abdulkadir Jega, who delivered the unanimous judgment said the 60 days provided by section 285 sub section 7 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended for disposal of election petition matters had elapsed.

Jega held that any law that is inconsistent with the mentioned section of the constitution is a nullity, adding that no court has powers to extend the time allotted by section 285 by even a second.

He stated that Sundays, Public Holidays as well as court vocations were included in the 60 days.

Justice Jega, however, stated that there could be consideration if the last day of the 60 days fell on a Sunday or a Public Holiday.

He therefore maintained that the court cannot make any order on Uba,s application because he failed to file it within the 60 days stipulated by the law.

The court therefore dismissed the application and struck it out with no cost.

Earlier while adopting his written addresses yesterday, counsel to Senator Andy Uba, Arthur Obi Okafor had told the court that the compliant his client brought before it was a constitutional matter.

He argued that since the judgment that nullified Uba’s election breached the constitution, there was need to make the constitution supreme.

Okafor, therefore prayed the court to grant his application seeking the setting aside of the verdict against him on the ground that it did not comply with section 285 subsection 7 of the Constitution.

But counsel to Nzeribe, Obiorah Obianwu urged the court to strike out Uba’s application and uphold his preliminary objection on the ground that the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the matter.

Towing the same path with the applicant, counsel to INEC, Onyechi Ikpeazu urged the court to strike out the preliminary objection and reminded the appellate court that the complaint before it was a constitutional matter.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/andy-uba-losses-again-at-appeal-court/
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Afam4eva(m): 6:43pm On Mar 14, 2012
This guy should just leave politics for good. His destiny certainly does not lay there.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Geomac: 6:57pm On Mar 14, 2012
Andy, it is high time you said goodbye to politics. It is not your calling.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by kokoA(m): 7:07pm On Mar 14, 2012
That guy is a born looser. I bet even in a councillorship election, he will loose.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Gbawe: 7:17pm On Mar 14, 2012
Geomac: Andy, it is high time you said goodbye to politics. It is not your calling.

I find the responses to this thread to be funny with the use of words such as "destiny" and "calling".

We would not have such an effed up nation if politics is truly the "destiny" or the "calling" of even 30% of our politicians!!!!

Abeg free Andy Uba in his effort to join, by all means possible, the ranks of the very small percentage of jobbers controlling the vast wealth of the nation for themselves. Afterall Uba came from the diaspora bankrupt and discredited. The fact he was ready to join the "owners of Nigeria" club, and pledge looting allegiance, has now seen him become very rich and relevant.

Whether folks like it or not, politics will be Andy Uba's "destiny" and "calling" in a nation where cash, and never uprightness , is king.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Ejine(m): 8:18pm On Mar 14, 2012
kokoA: That guy is a born looser. I bet even in a councillorship election, he will loose.

chineke! This one is even talking about councillorship. I'm telling you that even in a bid for the post of a Primary 5 class prefect, Andy Uba won't win SHIIIT!
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Afam4eva(m): 8:21pm On Mar 14, 2012
But really the legal system has been unfair to this dude. is he the only political jobber there is? As those that beat him in court are any better.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Gbawe: 11:00am On Mar 15, 2012
afam4eva: But really the legal system has been unfair to this dude. is he the only political jobber there is? As those that beat him in court are any better.

Uba may just be suffering for his sins as Obasanjo's "son". Otherwise I really don't see why he is unable to buy justice as so many others do with ease. Did a judge not acquit Ibori of over a hundred charges of corruption? Did Odili not manage to obtain an injunction against Efcc prosecution that still stands till today? Did Teslim Folarin's murder charge not disappear totally once he was deseparately needed to deliver delegates for Gej?

I don't see how Uba is worse than all the other desperados currently masquerading as politicians. Yar Adua, shortly after becoming President, basically sanctioned the cancellation of Uba's guber win to send out a powerful message of "I am my own MAN" to Obj. It is probably same going on now i.e someone powerful beefing Uba and frustrating his effort to fulfil his "destiny" and "calling".
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by nku5: 11:24am On Mar 15, 2012
Nice one. Anambra State has suffered from crap leadership for more than 20yrs, save for brief sparks from the time of ngige. The last thing we need is a trillionaire with no means of livelihood except being around the corridors of power. Most of all he is one of the Uba brothers for crying out loud. Can't they just keep away from power? Wetin sef
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by chuks49(m): 12:44pm On Mar 15, 2012
Uba is not court friendly
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by onyengbu: 1:35pm On Mar 15, 2012
nku5: Nice one. Anambra State has suffered from crap leadership for more than 20yrs, save for brief sparks from the time of ngige. The last thing we need is a trillionaire with no means of livelihood except being around the corridors of power. Most of all he is one of the Uba brothers for crying out loud. Can't they just keep away from power? Wetin sef

Believe it or not, Andy Uba is a saint compared to the guy who won him in court.

Chuma Nzeribe is evil very very evil!

Since the people of Anambra South has no other sellable candidate, I pray Andy wins in the fresh elections.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by crackhouse(m): 2:09pm On Mar 15, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

Believe it or not, Andy Uba is a saint compared to the guy who won him in court.

Since the people of Anambra South has no other sellable candidate, I pray Andy wins in the fresh elections.
is it chuma Nzeribe that he is battling with? I mean that dude that worked for Mbadinuju?. Ahww, in that case Andy Uba is truly a saint when compared with Nzeribe cos most of the people that worked 4 Mbadinuju can be likened to a highway armed robber letalone Nzeribe who was his chief security adviser.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by crackhouse(m): 2:11pm On Mar 15, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

is it chuma Nzeribe that he is battling with? I mean that dude that worked for Mbadinuju?. Ahww, in that case Andy Uba is truly a saint when compared with Nzeribe cos most of the people that worked 4 Mbadinuju can be likened to a highway armed robber letalone Nzeribe who was his chief security adviser.
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by kizito96(m): 2:13pm On Mar 15, 2012
This man was born to Loose
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by emmajew(m): 2:45pm On Mar 15, 2012
ddddddddddd
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by segebobo: 3:09pm On Mar 15, 2012
Ejiné:

chineke! This one is even talking about councillorship. I'm telling you that even in a bid for the post of a Primary 5 class prefect, Andy Uba won't win SHIIIT!

You can bet! Hope he's still d head of his family sha
Re: Andy Uba Losses Again At Appeal Court by Niseamaka(m): 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2012
kizito96: This man was born to Loose

How can you refer to one of the most successful hustler on
planet earth,worth billions of dollars, as born to lose?.

(1) (Reply)

Ndigbo: What Projects Have Our Federal Representatives Brought To Igboland? / The Top 10 Military Powers In The World / This PICTURE Should Motivate You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.