Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Why Do Believers Suffer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Believers Suffer? (1313 Views)

What Do Believers Get From God? In This Lifetime? / "Jonathan Will Suffer Massive Disgrace In 2015" - Prophet Marcus Korede Tibetan / Why Do Believers Go Through Much Pain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Believers Suffer? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Mar 14, 2012
Why Do Believers Suffer?
We are in a generation of prosperity preaching. It is the time of “bread and butter” Christianity. These are the days when Christianity has been turned into a commodity and a cash and carry business. It is now “buy one get one free”. A time when people come to God not because they love Him and desire to serve Him but because of what they think that they can get from Him. We no longer talk about contending earnestly for the faith that was once delivered unto us (Jude vs 3). In this week’s message, we will be looking at the suffering of believers. Let me say that we are not considering those who are suffering for the evil that they have committed against God or against the civil laws. Neither are we talking about those who are punished for distorting their church’s financial records in order to evade tax and deceive the government. We are also not looking at those who have been jailed for having carnal knowledge of under-aged fellow men and/or women (1 Pet 4:15). Our focus is on those who suffer for their belief in Christ and His cross. I ask again, “Why do Christians suffer?” Is it of God for believers to suffer, maimed, persecuted, martyred etc?
1. Sometimes God allows believers to pass through certain situations in life for them to be more matured in Him (1 Pet 1:7; James 1:3; Rom 5:3-5). God may also permit pain and affliction in our lives so that we might be able to comfort and encourage other sufferers (2 Cor 1:4), thereby deepening the effectiveness of our ministries (2 Cor 4:7-10).
2. God permits sufferings for the righteous in order to further the cause of His kingdom and His plan for redemption. For example, all the injustices that Joseph experienced were to preserve a remnant on earth and save lives by a great deliverance (Gen 45:7). God also used it to bring him to his place of destiny. Our Lord Jesus was permitted by God to be crucified in order to save man from sin (Mt 26:53-54).
3. Believers also suffer because we have the mind of Christ. To be a Christian or Believer means to be in Christ. He is one in Christ. He is one whose lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume (2 Cor 2:15-16 (NLT). Since the Christian is a dreadful smell of death and doom to the unbeliever he should therefore expect a hostile reaction from the world and its systems (1 John 5:19). The people of the world will always be antagonistic to the righteous because they are of their father the devil (John 8:44). Those who love the Lord Jesus and follow His principles of truth and righteousness will be persecuted for their faith. Suffering because of righteousness is an indication of our genuine devotion to Christ. Our Lord in Mt 5:10 says “Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Also look at 1 Pet 4:12-16.

Suffering as a Christian is not a curse but a blessing. Our fathers who earnestly contended for this faith suffered. James the brother of John was beheaded by Herod (Acts 12:1-2), Stephen was stoned to death by the Jews (Acts 7:54-60). Paul suffered greatly for the gospel (2 Cor 11:22-30). History has it that he was eventually be-headed by Emperor Nero. John was put into a boiling caldron but was miraculously delivered. He was later banished to the Island of Patmos where he received the revelation as we have it in the book of Revelation. None of the twelve apostles, except John the beloved died naturally. Persecutions did not start and end with the apostles. A look at Foxes Book of Martyrs by John Foxe shows an array of Christian martyrs through the centuries. The likes of Polycarp when told by the governor of Rome “Reproach Christ and I will release you” responded thus “eighty six years I have served him, and He never once wronged me. How then shall I blaspheme my King who has saved me?” he was eventually pierced through with a sword and his body burnt in fire. William Tyndale paid the ultimate price for us to have the Bible in English language.
Brethren the way of the cross is full of thorns. Although nobody prays for it but it will surely come. It is part of our lives as Christians (Phi 1:29). They who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution (2 Tim 3:12). Our Lord talks about persecution being part of the fringe benefits of being a believer (Mark 10:30). If you haven’t experience it now you will experience it later. One of my favourite ministers in Assemblies of God, Lagos, Nigeria in the early - mid 1990s will always say that if you don’t experience suffering and challenges as a believer, how then can you get to the level of cracking bones as a believer?

It is time for us brethren to develop the love and attitude like those of early believers who ran this race before us. Let us be positive when we suffer for His name’s sake. Remember that He also suffered, was humiliated and eventually crucified by those He created (Acts 2:22-24). He suffered all this in order to redeem us and give us life in Him. Paul in Rom 8:18 says that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that shall be revealed in us. Let us say to ourselves and be fully persuaded that nothing shall separate us from the love of God which is Christ Jesus our Lord (Rom 8:39). Remember that if we suffer with Him we shall also be glorified together (Rom 8:17).

God bless you.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Joagbaje(m): 6:58am On Mar 15, 2012
SUFFERING IS NOT FROM GOD

KThere different kinds of sufferings. Suffering poverty sickness ,defeat and death is not the will of God for his children. Christians who suffers such have themselves to blame. Its either due to ignorance or the attack of the enemy.

The only suffering allowed for Christians are sufferings of persecutions and our self denials which are our proud acts of faith. It's a choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by nuella2(f): 2:36pm On Mar 15, 2012
What kind of suffering are you talking about? To beg on the streets of Abuja?
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 9:14pm On Mar 17, 2012
I don suffer ooooo! Add me join the list.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by inedi: 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2012
They lack knowledge
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by antartica(m): 6:49pm On Mar 18, 2012
inedi: They lack knowledge

Period!!! Anybody that lack the mundane things of life,lacks knowledge.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 11:36am On Mar 22, 2012
Inedi, Jesus Christ suffered, even leaving us an example. Paul suffered. You lack the knowledge of God, ithink.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 22, 2012
antartica: sad

Period!!! Anybody that lack the mundane things of life,lacks knowledge.

Lmao.. Lack never signifies lack of knowledge. Covetous Christians!!!!
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Callotti: 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2012
Punishment for hypocrisy of course! They are mostly wrectched and miserable. Very UGLY and full of debilitating diseases too!
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:58pm On Mar 22, 2012
Yes it's true. Christians suffer much ...
I do not know exactly to be that ... but one possible explanation is that they chose the wrong religion, or that their god does not help.
We should analyze it.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 11:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
Everybody suffers. It's sheer folly to say that or insinuate that only christians suffer. It's also hypocrisy to say that christians do not suffer. Even Jesus Christ suffered, and told us to follow His footsteps.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 7:28am On Mar 23, 2012
interesting. Ok if we are to be persecuted like Jesus was, but not ALL persecution was accepted or tolerated. When the jews wanted to throw Jesus over the hill, He simply walked thru them. Paul was stoned tot dead, he rose up. My problem is those that say we MUST suffer refuse to consider the above.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 7:33am On Mar 23, 2012
Moreover, we hyped suffering more than the glories that Christ came to bring us into. For me, i desire -covet- those glories in Christ and let the persecution sort itself out. Godly -like God- is my consciousness. Let persecution follow, i wanna enjoy godliness.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 7:39am On Mar 23, 2012
Finally, in my view, condemnation is also the bane of christian suffering, sickness etc. And they must reject it.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 1:44pm On Mar 23, 2012
^When Jesus said we should walk in His steps, He's not saying we should all go and die on the cross, or walk on water or resurrect after three days. The point is that Christ suffered, and even the Bible calls it an example for believers to follow. All the apostles, ALL suffered. It's folly to come here and say suffering is borne out of ignorance, or that christians don't suffer.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 6:28am On Mar 24, 2012
^for me as i have said, walking in His obedience is my destiny and craving, let persecution follow but the MORE IMPORTANT is the result of His Obedience.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 11:39pm On Mar 24, 2012
It's IMPOSSIBLE to truly obey God and not suffer. I'd rather believe the Bible which says that ALL that live godly will SUFFER.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 6:37am On Mar 25, 2012
consider: Jesus attested to the fact, since they persecuted Him, We will also be-a servant is not greater than his Master! you agree! He also said "becos i believe, i will do what He did, and greater than what He did, shall i do because He has gone to the Father!
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 6:43am On Mar 25, 2012
in Essense, wat am implying is we accept the suffering, but to DO as He did which is a promise, we disbelief; talkless of the greater now that is wit da Father. this is quite queer!
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 7:42am On Mar 25, 2012
I accept His suffering, and i also accept all His promises. I didn't say anything about not accepting all His promises. I believe to do greater works.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by thehomer: 8:40am On Mar 25, 2012
They suffer and continue suffering due to their sheep herd like mentality. Even when they're being fleeced and oppressed, they continue to follow without speaking out.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by nicey1d: 9:21am On Mar 26, 2012
Joagbaje:
SUFFERING IS NOT FROM GOD

KThere different kinds of sufferings. Suffering poverty sickness ,defeat and death is not the will of God for his children. Christians who suffers such have themselves to blame. Its either due to ignorance or the attack of the enemy.

The only suffering allowed for Christians are sufferings of persecutions and our self denials which are our proud acts of faith. It's a choice.
Well said!
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by LogicMind: 10:19am On Mar 26, 2012
sufferers believe. religion need people to suffer in order to have a purpose.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by harakiri(m): 10:49am On Mar 26, 2012
inedi: They lack knowledge

Interesting. I guess that explains why MOST Nigerians live below the poverty line. Splendid analysis. I didn't know it was this simple.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by unphilaz(m): 7:39am On Mar 28, 2012
@image i didnt mean you specifically but generally reading thru the OP's post, it has a fine line of a defeatist mentality to JUST accept suffering. To which i believe is not correct, considering the promises in scriptures. I believe that emphasis should not be on SUFFERING but on the glories that Christ brought via His gift of righteousness and let what ever follow.
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by Image123(m): 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2012
unphilaz: @image i didnt mean you specifically but generally reading thru the OP's post, it has a fine line of a defeatist mentality to JUST accept suffering. To which i believe is not correct, considering the promises in scriptures. I believe that emphasis should not be on SUFFERING but on the glories that Christ brought via His gift of righteousness and let what ever follow.
Okay, philaz
Re: Why Do Believers Suffer? by adameve: 12:28pm On Mar 28, 2012
When times are good, God is credited with the goodness. But when things go bad, everyone makes excuses for God's action or inaction. This is intellectually dishonest.
I've been to church so many times where the pastor tells us "God loves us", "He protects us", and He takes care of us. And then when a tornado crushes a baby or a family, the tap-dance on the pulpit is ridiculous. Try as they may to convince us that this all makes sense. I’m smarter than that.
This kind of unreasonable logic is what drove me to research God. We created Him and the evidence is overwhelming. He doesn’t punish anyone, because he isn’t. Look at all the tornados in the Bible belt that tear-up the lives of good Christians. This proves God does not take care of his followers. http://wecreatedgod.com/god-punishes-christians-with-tornados/

(1) (Reply)

Was There Only One Man Named Jesus? / What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. / Christian 'love' And Hypocrisy Applied To Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.