Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,235 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? (6985 Views)

Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) / Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by nissparts(m): 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2012
Driving around Lagos, I see a lot of vehicles being towed for various reasons from voluntary to involuntary.
This towing is carried out by both enlightened and unenlightened personnel and it suddenly occurred to me that a number of people may not know there are rules to towing vehicles in order to prevent serious transmission damage.

The rules in summary are as follows:

2 wheel drive vehicles(FWD)

The paramount rule for any vehicle is to keep its drive wheels off the ground when towing.
Therefore for FWD vehicles, a towing vehicle with a lift to keep the two front wheel off the ground is a good option.
Towing such a vehicle with all 4 wheels rolling for more than 5 minutes will result in serious transmission damage.

Another option is to tow the vehicle by placing it on a flatbed(trailer) where all 4 wheels will be off the ground

Rear wheel drive vehicles

If u intend to tow such a vehicle by lifting the front wheels, you'll need to disconnect the drive shaft or else the transmission will be damaged.
The simplest method is to use a flatbed.

I'm sure there are other methods to tow rear wheel and 4wd vehicles which other members here may be able to chip in on.

Just thought to share this.

Good night.

3 Likes

Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by Exponental(m): 12:45am On Mar 15, 2012
@ OP, nice one!
A rear wheel (back asle) could also be towed in d opposite of d front wheel i.e. towing from d back.
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by nissparts(m): 10:27am On Mar 15, 2012
Thanks.
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by gbolio4(m): 10:51am On Mar 15, 2012
Been looking for this for a long while! Nice Post
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by nissparts(m): 10:59pm On Mar 16, 2012
Saw this today...sigh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by Chuksyno(m): 12:21am On Mar 17, 2012
Indeed, dis post is very educative. It was act of ignorance dat made me 2 damage d transmission of my mercedes benz 300E while towing it just because of minor engine problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by nissparts(m): 9:32pm On May 22, 2012
Be informed
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by USAutoBuy(m): 2:25am On May 23, 2012
I very much agreed with much of the post. However, we still have to keep everything in context. In Nigeria, everything is different. The idea of spending millions of Naira for a tow truck is not practical if you are going with the thinking of the tow operators.

Why do that when you can find an old Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol to convert and be in business. All under N500k!

Even you will count yourself "lucky" to get a tow truck in critical time in this country. Don't eve n begin talking about the cost!

If you have to be towed like in the picture, it comes down to the speed. Anything under 60km / hr should be fine. Otherwise you MIGHT ruin your drivetrain.

Good luck out there
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by Nobody: 12:31am On May 24, 2012
Got this info off a Nissan bulletin
1. 4WD/AWD vehicles equipped with Automatic Transmission:
• DO NOT Flat Tow – doing so will damage internal transmission components.
• DO NOT use a tow dolly – doing so will damage drivetrain components.
2. FWD vehicles equipped with Automatic Transmission:
• An appropriate vehicle tow dolly MUST be placed under the vehicle’s front wheels.
3. RWD vehicles equipped with Automatic Transmission:
• An appropriate vehicle tow dolly MUST be placed under the vehicle’s rear wheels.
4. 2WD/4WD vehicles equipped with a manual transmission:
• Always flat tow with the manual transmission in Neutral.
• Always flat tow a manual transmission vehicle facing forward.
• After towing for 500 miles, stop. Start and idle the engine with the transmission in
Neutral for two minutes - failure to do so may cause damage to the transmission.
• For 4WD vehicles, always flat tow with the transfer case in the 2 HI position.
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by Nep2une(m): 3:13pm On Jan 12, 2015
if your car broke down yu could just call autosave roadside assistance they make sense. they normally send a mechanic to come help yu repair the car or send a towing van to pick yu. check their site http://autosave.com.ng or call 07051990781
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by nissparts(m): 2:46pm On Jun 15, 2015
smiley
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by emperorlaqrin: 9:59pm On Apr 18, 2020
Nep2une:
if your car broke down yu could just call autosave roadside assistance they make sense. they normally send a mechanic to come help yu repair the car or send a towing van to pick yu. check their site http://autosave.com.ng or call 07051990781

Please can you guys tow a bus from ibadan to Lagos ?
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by emperorlaqrin: 10:01pm On Apr 18, 2020
Please I need a towing van. I am in Lagos but wants to tow a bus from ibadan to Lagos tomorrow Sunday or latest monday. Please I will really be glad for assistance with a reliable contact.

Thanks
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by spinna: 11:18am On Apr 26, 2022
emperorlaqrin:
Please I need a towing van. I am in Lagos but wants to tow a bus from ibadan to Lagos tomorrow Sunday or latest monday. Please I will really be glad for assistance with a reliable contact.

Thanks

Good morning bro.. pls how did you resolve this and how much did it cost.. i also want to tow my vehicle from ibadan to Lagos
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by Xenisha: 8:51am On Sep 08, 2022
Hello. Well, if you have already chosen a new car and it is not in your city, then I recommend using my advice. Namely, order the services of the company long-distance car towing I have tested them myself and can recommend them. I was delivered to Chicago auto transport from California. I think that you will definitely need this information.
Re: Towing Your Vehicle....did You Know? by MotoringNigeria: 10:17pm On Mar 14, 2023
emperorlaqrin:

Thanks

Hi emperorlaqrin We offer emergency, local and interstate flatbed towing services for our customers. We cover all routes but our most frequent routes are Lagos to Abuja, Ibadan to Lagos, and the East.

Kindly visit our website next time you are in need of a towing truck or simply search Motoring Nigeria on Google or call

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Guard Against Buying Stolen Vehicles? / Toyota Matrix / Can Any One Beat This Speedometer ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.