Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? (31052 Views)

Poll: Make your choice for Second River Niger Bridge?

Second River Niger Bridge Model 1: 24% (6 votes)
Second River Niger Bridge Model 2: 32% (8 votes)
Second River Niger Bridge Model 3: 12% (3 votes)
Second River Niger Bridge Model 4: 32% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Cargo Hijack; One Of The Reasons Ships Dont Port At onne / Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) / HELP !! Yoruba Plot To KILL Ibaka Deep Sea Port (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:58am On Mar 17, 2012
The River Niger Bridge connecting Asaba and Onitsha one side and the Western Nigeria with South-Eastern Nigeria, this bridge is strategically located between Asaba and Onitsha and was constructed by the nation’s former colonial masters, Britain in December 1965 at the cost of 5 million British pounds. The Bridge has obviously become old with frequent complaints by motorists and experts who believe that regular vehicular traffics and heavy duty trucks amongst others and indeed old age now causes the Bridge to become a trap. Most of the nuts and bolts used by the British colonial government cannot be found anywhere in the world because they have become obsolesced.

Frequent complaints from experts compelled the Federal Government to carry out some rehabilitation works on the bridge in 2005, but before now opinions have called for the construction of another bridge in what has become known as the second River Niger Bridge to avoid foreseen disasters that might befall motorists on the bridge. Much as the cry for the construction of second River Niger Bridge has persisted, the government of the country has turned deaf ears, stylishly making promises on awards of contracts for the construction of the second bridge. By now, every Nigerian has become inured to these pledges and promises which never get fulfilled. Claims and counter claims for the award of the contract have only become part of the national anthem of the nation recited by the nation’s leaders either whenever an election is coming up or towards the end of their tenure.

Experts wonder why the government is finding it absolutely impossible to construct the bridge which will link Asaba with Owerri. Dredging the bridge has also become one promise we have become familiar with, anyone who turns on his radio is bound to hear of the dredging of this River but we never see it done. Observers maintain that the dredging of the river will enable easy passage of cargo ships and boats to the northern parts of the country and will indeed open up the South-Eastern region but our government never contemplates this to be so for the reason we cannot tell. We hear the government on December 1st 2008 signed a contract totaling 34.4 Billion Naira for the dredging of this river. Has work started?

Looking at this region which is strategic to the country, one would have expected that the river be dredged, another bridge be constructed in addition to the existing one and a commercial seaport set-up. No one will ask for too much if he advocates that a seaport be built around this river Niger to make the people of South-East, Niger State and the core northern part of the country less dependent on Lagos ports. It is thoroughly impossible to believe that a nation which laments of congestion of ports in the nation and imposes so much duty and demurrage on its citizens as a decongestion policy cannot think of constructing another port in this region. If a port cannot be located here will it be located on a desert? We must ask ourselves this question.

With the Delta State Government constructing an International and cargo Airport in Asaba, which if completed will serve the commercial needs of the entire Igbo; it will also be wise if our government cogitate on constructing a sea port at the Onitsha end of the River Niger. We must not bury ourselves in cheap excuses because we know that with today’s technology in place, anything is achievable, as we have seen landlocked nations artificially create rivers.

It is not strictly an affair of the Igbo but a national project that will benefit the nation as a whole. This area is a vibrant one and should not be idle for reasons not obviously established. And if the British colonial government thought it wise to construct the only existing bridge in the area, why is it difficult to construct another for the Igbo. We tend to read a different meaning to it when we recall that uncountable numbers of bridges are found on one lagoon alone in Lagos, yet we cry for just one more bridge to added where we know it should imperatively exist. We know it as our right; we may be crying to have it in place where it should truly belong today, but one day, we there shall arise a true leader who will wish that true federalism with equality without regard to ethnic-nationalities be enthroned. We just might not bother ourselves any more as our rights will be restored, until then we shall continue to make our leaders see us as part of the federation of Nigeria and do to us what they have done in other places. Let there be second River Niger Bridge between Asaba and Onisha.[url]http://www.hoppingent.com/bridge-construction-set/ [/url] [flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRW2pSuHpo[/flash]
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:01am On Mar 17, 2012
A Gate way Bridge and world class seaport.We shall celebrate.
Second River Niger Bridge Model 1

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 7:17am On Mar 17, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]well said,4 years will be enough 4 those who voted for Jonathan to see what will become of this project,afterall he was VP in 2008.

1 Like

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:46am On Mar 17, 2012
I am interested in what the gate-way-bridge would look like. I believe the model below and above is in order. GEJ no fall our hand oooo. wink

Second River Niger Bridge Model 2

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjCx8TFbKq4&feature=player_embedded[/flash]

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 17, 2012
The economic potential of a new bridge cannot be overemphasised.it is long overdue.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 17, 2012
the S.E is in need of more infrastructure considering the fact that easterners are blessed with technological inspiration. Awka and their metal works being an example of how a community is endowed with a certain expertise.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Ufeolorun(m): 12:05pm On Mar 17, 2012
With 98% turnout from the alliance precinct reported,that bridge should be 98% complete by now.
This alliance is 98% a failure.
Lol!

1 Like

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:07pm On Mar 17, 2012
Arch gateway bridge model. This has to be it Mr President. cool

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Mar 17, 2012
I'm waiting for that glorious day when the dredging of the river Niger will be completed.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:34pm On Mar 17, 2012
Bridge Construction Set

Second River Niger Bridge Model 3

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 5:40pm On Mar 17, 2012
This is so nice, I really hope it gets done. Maybe after building this, we can extend this sort of concept to other parts of the country. smiley smiley smiley smiley

Bliss4lye my wifey, How are you na ?

BTW afam4eve,

What good is dredging river Niger when there is port Harcourt, cross river etc

The shipment by river channel is for small goods not "container" size I presume
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Mar 17, 2012
alj harem: This is so nice, I really hope it gets done. Maybe after building this, we can extend this sort of concept to other parts of the country. smiley smiley smiley smiley

Bliss4lye my wifey, How are you na ?

BTW afam4eve,

What good is dredging river Niger when there is port Harcourt, cross river etc

Of what use is the port-hacourt and calabar port when there is Lagos. Of what use is Enugu when there is Anambra. of what use is Glo when there is MTN. Of what use is Shell when there is Chevron. of what use is USA when there is Canada.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 5:50pm On Mar 17, 2012
afam4eva:

Of what use is the port-hacourt and calabar port when there is Lagos. Of what use is Enugu when there is Anambra. of what use is Glo when there is MTN. Of what use is Shell when there is Chevron. of what use is USA when there is Canada.

LOL what a reply for bros afam grin grin grin

I assumed that a port in the east would be a good idea rather than shipment to Lagos then travelling by road all the way to Anambra that is the reason you advocated for River Niger to be dredged.

Now I am just saying that knowing the huge "containers" would be going to the east, I would suggest that the resources for the dredging could be passed to River or Cross river to make a DEEP seaport rather than a river port.

More productivity I would say. BTW Glo is Nigerian owned while MTN is foreign owned, there is a difference wink
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by DuduNegro: 7:10pm On Mar 17, 2012
With the Delta State Government constructing an International and cargo Airport in Asaba, which if completed will serve the commercial needs of the entire Igbo; it will also be wise if our government cogitate on constructing a sea port at the Onitsha end of the River Niger. We must not bury ourselves in cheap excuses because we know that with today’s technology in place, anything is achievable, as we have seen landlocked nations artificially create rivers.

It is not strictly an affair of the Igbo but a national project that will benefit the nation as a whole. This area is a vibrant one and should not be idle for reasons not obviously established. And if the British colonial government thought it wise to construct the only existing bridge in the area, why is it difficult to construct another for the Igbo. We tend to read a different meaning to it when we recall that uncountable numbers of bridges are found on one lagoon alone in Lagos, yet we cry for just one more bridge to added where we know it should imperatively exist. We know it as our right; we may be crying to have it in place where it should truly belong today, but one day, we there shall arise a true leader who will wish that true federalism with equality without regard to ethnic-nationalities be enthroned. We just might not bother ourselves any more as our rights will be restored, until then we shall continue to make our leaders see us as part of the federation of Nigeria and do to us what they have done in other places. Let there be second River Niger Bridge between Asaba and Onisha.

This is double-speak! The author of this message is deluded. Let me give you a breakdown of the palaver over this bridge.

First, it carries a political burden. It appears from this write up, and generally from its predecessors through various channells and media advocating the same ideal, that the Igbo people are attempting to dominate and monopolize River Niger. If you dredge the River downstream, you will create problems for its dependent farmers upstream. Also, bearing in mind that it is already dammed upstream, a dredging downstrem creates a potential eco hazard for the farming settlements on its banks in the midstream, particularly in Lokoja, at its confluence with Benue.

There is no way North will allow you to monopolize and set mandates that choke their commerce upstream. Dredging the river will make you a landlord on the Niger and a very antagonistic and difficult partner to share maritime rights with. The best opportunity you have lie in the current administration of GEJ. Get to work and get your Eastern Governors to amass lobby and pressure on him.

. . . but then this creates another problem for his Ijaw people. The people even downstream from you will likewise suffer a loss of maritime rights and commerce if the Niger is dredged and a seaport installed at Onitsha. The only people who are unaffected by your call are the Yorubas in the West. It makes no difference to us whether or not you dredge the Niger or get a seaport or get a bridge to link Asaba to Owerri; but by all means this article is implicitly using Lagos, Yorubaland as a competing and paradoxical dynamics for why Igbo nation must get its seaport and bridge. You are fighting the wrong enemy. Deja Vu, no wonder the project has not successfuly come into fruition. Start your fight with the correct orientation. . . put the horse in front of the cart, not the other way around!

2 Likes

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by tarano: 7:16pm On Mar 17, 2012
River Port...PortHarcourt is good enough...
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by jidestar: 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2012
Na only second Niger gate way bridge, Star gate bridge ni. Dreamers Igbo.Jonathan dey take una do maradona. Nigeria mugu numero uno as una don become. I think say Jonathan done come launch Onitsha Sea Port. U people are very funny bunch. OP, geta life and stop posting crap that can never happen. Afam4eva, most sensible post so far. Wen they finish dredging first, Jonathan done waka commot for Aso Rock as tenure don finish. 99.9999999%. I dey laugh oooooooo
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:10pm On Mar 17, 2012
^^Trust is something that people earn overtime in character. Chinaemeze of Igboland has earned the trust of Igbo people that matter and we have given him our full support and with GEJ we will remain in support. Do not derail my thread with ur chums and bigotry.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 1:01am On Mar 18, 2012
I find it amazing that Afam4eva has not answered my question. LOL

You know the reality but chose to ignore the facts that productivity is way better than "at least we have it" mentality.

I wonder what is stopping a country like Nigeria have 2 working class deep sea ports rather than just Lagos and 2 underclass seaport with 1 river port ? It makes prefect nonsense I must say !!!!!

[size=13pt]Why not invest the money in Cross river or Rivers state, get the deep seaport to world standard, transfer ships their rather than lagos then gradually, make rivers state an economic hub ?[/size]
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by bakila: 1:38am On Mar 18, 2012
afam4eva: I'm waiting for that glorious day when the dredging of the river Niger will be completed.
It is like that project died with Umaru Musa.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by bakila: 1:45am On Mar 18, 2012
Lets have the second niger bridge with savings from the various subsidies removal.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:55am On Mar 18, 2012
bakila: Lets have the second niger bridge with savings from the various subsidies removal.

^^^Hehehe grin. You must be in some kind of utopian parallel universe, and not Naija wink.

The only problem i see with your suggestion is that other ethnic groups/geo-political zones (or whatever term you want to use) no go gree, and they will want their own [b]EQUAL SHARE [/b]of the booty or they scatter the whole thing wink. What? You mean giving attention just to the 'okoros' shocked? Abi you don start dey craze shocked?
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Afam4eva(m): 5:51am On Mar 18, 2012
alj harem: I find it amazing that Afam4eva has not answered my question. LOL

You know the reality but chose to ignore the facts that productivity is way better than "at least we have it" mentality.

I wonder what is stopping a country like Nigeria have 2 working class deep sea ports rather than just Lagos and 2 underclass seaport with 1 river port ? It makes prefect nonsense I must say !!!!!

[size=13pt]Why not invest the money in Cross river or Rivers state, get the deep seaport to world standard, transfer ships their rather than lagos then gradually, make rivers state an economic hub ?[/size]

The same people who are advocating for regionalism are also saying that we should not spread the wealth. How hypocritical can some of you be. I'm talking of a port that will serve Asaba, Onitsha, Awka, Enugu, Ebonyi and increase the commercial activities in these places and you're telling me it's better to invest the money in cross river and rivers state. What exactly are you scared of?
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:31am On Mar 18, 2012
Surely in 2012, we can do better than this model of the first niger bridge. I mean Onitsha is a strategic location for business and commerce, the bridge is a gate way of east to west. We have to make good this promise and build a fitting monument that will withstand the sands of time. We need a bridge that will fit the changing image of the east.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:45am On Mar 18, 2012
I mean the people of the south eastern region and beyond have waited over 52 years for a second bridge. It has to berra than bridge no: 1 or on par making two world class bridges. cool

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:07pm On Mar 18, 2012
Why a second Forth Road Bridge? The existing road bridge has for many years been carrying volumes of traffic far in excess of what was expected at the time it was built. This has led to structural loads much larger than originally forecast, and has also caused one of Scotland's worst bottlenecks, especially for traffic heading southeast from southwest to North on weekday mornings. Additionally, in recent years corrosion has begun to appear in the steel strands making up the main suspension pillars. The two factors have together resulted in fears that use of the bridge by heavy vehicles might have to be restricted within a decade, and that it might have to close altogether by 2020.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:13am On Mar 19, 2012
The future is an arch bridge.

Second River Niger Bridge Model 4

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 12:44am On Mar 19, 2012
afam4eva:

The same people who are advocating for regionalism are also saying that we should not spread the wealth. How hypocritical can some of you be. I'm talking of a port that will serve Asaba, Onitsha, Awka, Enugu, Ebonyi and increase the commercial activities in these places and you're telling me it's better to invest the money in cross river and rivers state. What exactly are you scared of?

Dude if there is going to be anyform of regionalism it is 3 not 6. Old East

I don't understand why people would want to keep dividing and dividing like Ideeiots

Old east is what it is !!!
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:03am On Mar 19, 2012
^^So the federalist have finally settled for regionalism? Soon it will be secessionist.Which way na? undecided
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 1:12am On Mar 19, 2012
^^^^

Bliss, I was for one Nigeria but apparently it cannot work.

Lets do regionalism or SNC and one so people can know there regions value and work harder

Apparently GEJ and co don't want that,of which I do not know.

I would prefer the Old east with part of delta state etc so with the same culture can move together in Oneness

thus the problem of a 60 years old bridge would not be a problem facing easterners today.

I mean must the bridge collaspe before the FG does something about it ? Our government have failed us.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:27am On Mar 19, 2012
^Very funny and rich coming from Mr One Nigeria by all means necessary. So because GEJ is now President you want SNC and regionalism? lol!! The current set up is working just fine. winkThe sub-divisions are happier than ever and that makes Ndi-igbo happy, at least they can breathe ease knowing Igbos are not out to dominate dem as previously believed.hahah grin
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 1:32am On Mar 19, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: ^Very funny and rich coming from Mr One Nigeria by all means necessary. So because GEJ is now President you want SNC and regionalism? lol!! The current set up is working just fine. winkThe sub-divisions are happier than ever and that makes Ndi-igbo happy, at least they can breathe ease knowing Igbos are not out to dominate dem as previously believed.hahah grin

Good, then after GEJ don't come complaining wink I would think we want a developed country rather than tribal country

BTW, when are we going to meet na ? kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:35am On Mar 19, 2012
Who said anything about tribal? We are talking equity and justice for all Nigerians, surely that is the way forward if any? As for meeting, did they send you because am far gone and u are in the distance in the dark. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala Ran Nigeria Like A Come-and-chop Restaurant — Shehu Sani / Bishop Predicts Tinubu Presidency, Says Nigerians Abroad Will Return / Obiano Poses With Ifeanyi Ubah At His Aguleri Home Over His Victory(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.