Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment (2546 Views)

The Banana Experiment / Hurray!!! Nairaland Is 10 Years Today!!! / Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Pennywise(m): 12:45pm On Mar 18, 2012
This is not about having difficulty getting used to something new. I didnt have any problem adjusting to the old Nairaland when I signed in. I doubt it if I would have stayed beyond a few days had the website been like this. The new NL is almost a week old yet the site still looks like a kaleidoscope of white and gray. It is amorphous, it doesn't look right and it doesnt feel right even if it appears to be the best 'web interface' in the eyes of the site owner.

The old NL was good and everybody loved it. If that was the case why change a good thing? There may have been a few complaints from the 'webmasters' and 'internet denizens'. But they were few and far between and mostly unserious. The vast majority loved things the way they where.

There are many different ways the site can be modernized. What has been done is a complete no no. Other changes like the exact date and time that posts were made should be retained rather than a user having to research for it. Again it is really not necessary to have a separate record for all the posts that were initiated by a particular user. It takes something away from the anonimity the site is supposed to give.

I know several threads have been opened on this same topic, it will be insensitive for Seun to continue to ignore the opinion of users on this matter. The new Nl is difficult in fact it is impossible to love.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by antartica(m): 12:56pm On Mar 18, 2012
He is gonna lose traffic seriously,the whole thing is more like a task now going about nairaland.It is no longer like a place you can just pop and pop out casually with out having to think about.It is more like going to work now,stressful.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by naptu2: 1:12pm On Mar 18, 2012
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the new mobile site, but the full site almost made me go blind. I think he should use the new interface for the mobile site and revert to the old interface for pc users.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by NwaNimo1(m): 1:33pm On Mar 18, 2012
The number of people visiting is plumeting:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/nairaland.com
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
likewise me too i dont like this new NL before i visit NL everyday but now just don't know why feel very uncomfortable visiting frequently
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Callotti: 2:02pm On Mar 18, 2012
I particularly frown at the whole world looking at my nyansh o!
It was meant for only 'nosey' e badu belle and e jolosi NLanders.
Is there anything I love about the New Look?
Yep! It is NEW!
But boy. . .posting or using the youtube embeds has been a chore.
I would love the old functions back, with the NEW LOOK.

Do I miss the old look? NO! I have forgotten what it looks like.

I love the smell of new homes. Just make it more user friendly. Simple. kiss

Yep. . .you can see all recent and total number of threads started by a given poster on their profile page too.

I lovvvvit!

2 Likes

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by peckhamboi: 2:28pm On Mar 18, 2012
The owner is a such a fool, I can't fathom the reason for changing it to this nonsense. I visit this site 90% less now.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Seun(m): 2:29pm On Mar 18, 2012
Pennywise: This is not about having difficulty getting used to something new. I didn't have any problem adjusting to the old Nairaland when I signed in. I doubt it if I would have stayed beyond a few days had the website been like this. The new NL is almost a week old yet the site still looks like a kaleidoscope of white and gray. It is amorphous, it doesn't look right and it doesn't feel right even if it appears to be the best 'web interface' in the eyes of the site owner.
I'm sorry that it doesn't look right or feel right for you. But I don't really understand what it means for a site to not "feel right" or to be "amorphous". When people said it was too bright, I made the greens darker than the former site. When people said the colors were too loud, I desaturated them, even though I prefer the more saturated look. Specific feedback is helpful.

The old NL was good and everybody loved it. If that was the case why change a good thing? There may have been a few complaints from the 'webmasters' and 'internet denizens'. But they were few and far between and mostly unserious. The vast majority loved things the way they where.
We didn't change Nairaland for the purpose of modernizing the look. We moved from PHP and SMF to a new platform that we understand very well, Python and CherryPy, so we can start adding new features regularly. We had to change the look because the old look doesn't belong to us and we used the opportunity to create a theme that looks alright on mobile phones and PCs. I made a bet that a uniform look on mobile and web will give us unique advantages. It was my call.

There are many different ways the site can be modernized. What has been done is a complete no no. Other changes like the exact date and time that posts were made should be retained rather than a user having to research for it. Again it is really not necessary to have a separate record for all the posts that were initiated by a particular user. It takes something away from the anonymity the site is supposed to give.
I feel that this feature is an extremely important one whose benefits outweigh the risks.

I know several threads have been opened on this same topic, it will be insensitive for Seun to continue to ignore the opinion of users on this matter. The new Nl is difficult in fact it is impossible to love.
I'm very sorry that you feel this way. We will invest more time and effort into irresistible features.

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by peckhamboi: 2:40pm On Mar 18, 2012
Seun:
I'm sorry that it doesn't look right or feel right for you. But I don't really understand what it means for a site to not "feel right" or to be "amorphous". When people said it was too bright, I made the greens darker than the former site. When people said the colors were too loud, I desaturated them, even though I prefer the more saturated look. Specific feedback is helpful.

We didn't change Nairaland for the purpose of modernizing the look. We moved from PHP and SMF to a new platform that we understand very well, Python and CherryPy, so we can start adding new features regularly. We had to change the look because the old look doesn't belong to us and we used the opportunity to create a theme that looks alright on mobile phones and PCs. I made a bet that a uniform look on mobile and web will give us unique advantages. It was my call.

I feel that this feature is an extremely important one whose benefits outweigh the risks.

I'm very sorry that you feel this way. We will invest more time and effort into irresistible features.
Why are you being so stubborn and blockheaded and revert the whole thing or at least give people the option of choosing the previous site.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Seun(m): 2:46pm On Mar 18, 2012
We cannot revert the whole thing. It's technically very difficult and expensive and would hurt our traffic immensely. That would be suicide. What we can do, however, is correct specific things that are wrong with the new Nairaland. We've corrected saturation, brightness, and readability of board pages, and we will correct more things. This is our platform, and we can do anything we want with it. Our imagination is the limit to what we can achieve here.

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by jamace(m): 2:48pm On Mar 18, 2012
Seun has killed my fun on this forum.

I'm using glasses inorder to use the site now. It is blinding, wallahi.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by naptu2: 3:07pm On Mar 18, 2012
Rather than stubbornly insisting that everything reverts back to the old interface (which increasingly seems impossible), why don't we suggest specific things that can be improved?

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by yamakuza: 3:22pm On Mar 18, 2012
naptu2: Rather than stubbornly insisting that everything reverts back to the old interface (which increasingly seems impossible), why don't we suggest specific things that can be improved?

Reminds me of that Ebenezer Obey song.
[s]
The one about the man, his son and a donkey.[/s]

What happened in the end sef?

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 18, 2012
ђã†̥ pains ♏έ most are the email notifications that ceased, Seun re activate them and please change the colours to the old ones. This colour scheme is horrible, you can not amend it. ℓ̊ was speaking τ̅☺ a guy ℓ̊ met here on bbm and he told ♏έ NL is presently a no go area for him and he used to be a very active user. Only my  permits ♏έ τ̅☺ stay for minutes, ℓ̊ have τ̅☺ rest my eyes before coming back for more eye torture.

This is a big mistake and ℓ̊ am beginning to feel you will only revert or make amends when traffic drops to the point you can't survive ☺ƞ the income generated here. This is the worst bday present ever. If you can't revert, then provide us a link to NL classic.

Coca. Cola used to think they were infallible and tried forcing a new coke into the market but sales decline thought them a hard lesson and classic was introduced and the new coke eventually discontinued. Some members you will lose now will likely forget their passwords and find it difficult coming back. Who knows, another forum might J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ overtake Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by naptu2: 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2012
What I miss most is the E-mail notification. Please restore it (this feature keeps members coming back. If I comment on a thread and then decide not to return to nairaland, the curiosity generated by an E-mail notification will force me to have a rethink).

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Pennywise(m): 4:37pm On Mar 18, 2012
@Seun

Maybe this is where the problem lies. The technology now is different but you didnt need to change the theme! The new theme may work perfectly for mobile users but for web users it is a complete disaster. Both mobile and web users on fbk have different themes but we enjoy it nonetheless.

You can leave the present theme for mobile users and retain the old theme while using the new technology for web users.

Secondly folks talking about web traffic melt down are not helping issues. We should think more constructively b/c good or bad NL is a desirable part of our lives and that is why we are here. I had a seen a scenario a few years ago when some folks tot their departure from NL will collapse the site. Anyway traffic doubled. No shame admitting it. A lot of us are NL junkies and Seun is the dealer. You can get angry with your dealer but killing him shouldnt come to mind

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by hadg33(m): 4:54pm On Mar 18, 2012
peckhamboi: The owner is a such a fool, I can't fathom the reason for changing it to this nonsense. I visit this site 90% less now.

Stop been vulgar,the new look is not bad,i think it is cool

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by adonisgold: 5:20pm On Mar 18, 2012
The new NL is so wonderful on my mobile!
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 18, 2012
Seun: We cannot revert the whole thing. It's technically very difficult and expensive and would hurt our traffic immensely. That would be suicide. What we can do, however, is correct specific things that are wrong with the new Nairaland. We've corrected saturation, brightness, and readability of board pages, and we will correct more things. This is our platform, and we can do anything we want with it. Our imagination is the limit to what we can achieve here.

This guy is very arrogant sha,I like that in you.btw,what are you doing about mulitple quoting ?
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On Mar 18, 2012
It's a matter of choice. As for me i'm having a swell time with this new nairaland. But i don't like the fact that we no longer have signatures. Seun, why now?
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by yamakuza: 5:28pm On Mar 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

This guy is very arrogant sha,I like that in you.btw,what are you doing about mulitple quoting ?

^ Its not really arrogance.

The 'we' there refers to all Nairalanders.

The owned platform creates the opportunity to mold Nairaland into whatever we desire.

All we have to do is be supportive, creative, imaginative and suggest new features.

Thats my interpretation.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2012
yamakuza:

^ Its not really arrogance.

The 'we' there refers to all Nairalanders.

The owned platform creates the opportunity to mold Nairaland into whatever we desire.

All we have to do is be supportive, creative, imaginative and suggest new features.

Thats my interpretation.

If 'we' means all nairalaners,why is he making the decisions alone without considering the contributions from others ?
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by adonisgold: 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2012
peckhamboi: The owner is a such a fool, I can't fathom the reason for changing it to this nonsense. I visit this site 90% less now.

must u be so rude!?!
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by yamakuza: 5:44pm On Mar 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If 'we' means all nairalaners,why is he making the decisions alone without considering the contributions from others ?

but he has been tweaking and retweaking based on the suggestions in those other threads na?
[s]
Everytime he tweaks, he steps on new toes.[/s]
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 18, 2012
yamakuza:

but he has been tweaking and retweaking based on the suggestions in those other threads na?
[s]
Everytime he tweaks, he steps on new toes.[/s]

Na him sabi o,anything he likes he should do with his site.All I am saying is that he should review the complaints from users and adjust.

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by strangerf: 6:16pm On Mar 18, 2012
^^^

What audacity to question Seun! . . .Like you actually pay to post. He needs not consult anyone as long as you are not paying to use HIS forum. It is a privilege not your right to come here. Dont like it, GTFOH. Hmmmm, Nigerians and their sense of entitlement, no wonder most of them are lazy intellectually

1 Like

Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Rossikk(m): 6:31pm On Mar 18, 2012
Whoever 'redesigned' this crap needs his head checked. The former set up was FAR better than this. I mean, what is so hard about realising something so simple?
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
strangerf: ^^^

What audacity to question Seun! . . .Like you actually pay to post. He needs not consult anyone as long as you are not paying to use HIS forum. It is a privilege not your right to come here. Dont like it, GTFOH. Hmmmm, Nigerians and their sense of entitlement, no wonder most of them are lazy intellectually

Sule igbira,i hope you are not talking to me.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by OAM4J: 8:15pm On Mar 18, 2012
yamakuza:

Reminds me of that Ebenezer Obey song.
[s]
The one about the man, his son and a donkey.[/s]

What happened in the end sef?

lol grin

It ended with d man blocking his ears with quality music from Obey and went about his journey ignoring everyone. grin

@Topic

The only thing I think we need back now is email notification, this I think is also good for the forum traffic .
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by yamakuza: 8:36pm On Mar 18, 2012
^ Hmmn.

[s]They must have called that man an Arrogant Dictator too.[/s]

Time will tell.
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by LogicMind: 8:41pm On Mar 18, 2012
Seun: We cannot revert the whole thing. It's technically very difficult and expensive and would hurt our traffic immensely. That would be suicide. What we can do, however, is correct specific things that are wrong with the new Nairaland. We've corrected saturation, brightness, and readability of board pages, and we will correct more things. This is our platform, and we can do anything we want with it. Our imagination is the limit to what we can achieve here.

So what is stopping you from making it look and act like the old one?
Re: The New Nairaland Is Such A Bad Experiment by naijaking1: 8:58pm On Mar 18, 2012
@poster
This upgrade edition of N/L is just fine. We, as modern scientists should embrace innovations. I'm sure this is not perfect, but I'm sure it's better than the previous. It probably gives Seun and the adm. more room to play with in terms of upgrading the features. Give it a few more weeks, and we'll all get accustomed to it.
If you had a yahoo, or gmail account from the 1980 to the 1990s, you'll agree that each has improved, and updated considerably.
That said, I think the new platform needs to show people number of posts with their handles. This is important, because the reply for someone with only 1 post (new memeber, or dubious member with multiply accounts) is usually different.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

LAWRENCE ANINI, The Robber. The Gangster That Seized A Nigerian State / How To Get 1GB MTN Data For ₦134 (valid For 30days) / Contact Office Address Needed In Victoria Island.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.