Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets (1200 Views)

IMF Advices Nigeria To Remove All Forms Of Fuel Subsidy / Presidential Poll: Soldiers Arrive Lagos’ Streets / When Will WAEC Start Selling New Forms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets by Nchara: 6:17am On Mar 19, 2012

Saturday, March 17, 2012

New forms of begging on Lagos streets

by ADEOLA BALOGUN

Despite efforts to curb it, begging is back in full swing on the streets of Lagos, writes ADEOLA BALOGUN

New forms of begging on Lagos streets

advertisement

Begging, an act Lagos State frowns at, still thrives on the streets of the state.

SATURDAY PUNCH investigations have shown that begging has assumed new forms in the bustling metropolis and beggars are determined to sustain their means of livelihood.

Almost every day, groups of women dressed in white native buba and iro clothes of the Yoruba, invade parks, major bus stops and busy markets to beg for alms.

Described as worshippers of Osun, incidentally the Yoruba goddess of love and wealth, these women move in pairs, often mixing freely with the crowd. With tiny bells that jingle at every turn, they try to draw the attention of passersby.

On sighting a prospective benefactor, they would launch into a long chant, praising him in a manner so patronising that he would be forced to part with some cash.

Usually, the praises are accompanied with prayers for protection of the giver from his enemies.

SATURDAY PUNCH learnt that in Yoruba traditional religion, Osun is believed to be omnipresent and omnipotent. It is said that the deity embodies the cosmological forces of water, moisture and attraction. And so, her worshippers must be revered.

Another group of beggars known locally as 'Fine bara' are often found hanging around crowded and noisy places, such as bus stops. They are usually well-dressed, fluent and polite.

Most of the time, they choose their targets carefully and quietly walk up to them to beg alms. They seem to have redefined the act of surviving in the city in the face of mounting and seemingly insurmountable odds.

A third group of people surreptitiously plant themselves in commercial buses plying major routes in Lagos. As soon as the bus starts moving, they spring into action, preaching the Christian gospel to other passengers and praying for them.

These pseudo-evangelists remind the passengers about the importance of committing the day's business into the hand of God. Then, just as the vehicle approaches the final destination, they launch into prayers and handing each passenger an envelope, politely request donations in support of the 'ministry' or 'work of God.'

Commuters travelling on inter-state routes are also not spared in the prayer hawking game. The prayer 'warriors' lurk in bus parks and wait for passengers to board a vehicle before emerging to 'share the words of God' with them and to pray for a safe journey.

Aware that they have just a few minutes to talk to the passengers and get something in appreciation of their gesture, these preachers finally request handouts from the audience, saying 'God bless you as you help the work of God.'

As soon as he gets whatever the passengers are willing to drop, the prayer warrior recedes to his corner and waits for the next bus.

A fourth category of beggars neither solicit alms directly nor preach the gospel in disguise. They are neat, well dressed and speak fluent English. They loiter around busy places, patiently waiting for whoever they deem capable of parting with some cash.

When they eventually spot their target, they approach him quietly and in a deliberately contrived tone, recount a string of misfortunes that have befallen them in order to win his sympathy.

These artful beggars pretend to circumvent the subject, at first telling incredible tales of sorrow, often embellishing it with a brief account of how they got stranded in a particular place.

Then they tell their victim how much money they would need to proceed on their journey and apologize for troubling him with their problems.

Yet, another dimension to begging in Lagos is the existence of so-called 'mobile ministries.' This form of begging is common in places like Ojodu Berger, Ogba and Ojota bus stops.

Usually, the mobile 'preacher' attaches two or three specially built boxes to his cart. Although they are of different shapes and sizes, one feature common to all the boxes is the space created for 'offerings.' Without requesting it, the preacher expects passersby to drop in an occasional token, especially during rush hour.

In his reaction to the issue of begging by other means, Mr. Adedipupo Awofemi describes those who engage in it as very lazy. Awofemi, who works on Lagos, Island says he has no respect for anyone that hawks prayers.

He says, "Such people are just lazy and they lack shame. I encounter them every day on my way to work. But, after falling for their tricks initially, I have vowed never to give them anything again.

"A few years ago, I met a gentleman in a bus on my way from Ojodu-Berger to Lagos Island. His knowledge of the Bible was vast and his spoken English impeccable. As he was distributing tracts, he tucked in envelopes and without even asking us for money, most of the passengers put something in the envelopes.

"A few days later, I met the same person on the same route. As a Christian, I listened to what he said, but I did not fall for the envelope stuff again. I began to wonder why such a young man chose to live by begging indirectly. Since then, I have refused to give anyone who thinks he can exploit me to live, not again. "

Another resident of Lagos, Temitope Olutoye, says he gives arms only to the physically-challenged and those genuinely need financial assistance.

He says, "I am sure those women in white must have wondered what kind of man I am. There is nothing they have not said to flatter me. But I have not been moved to give them anything. Those who give them money know why they do so. I have made up my mind never in my life to throw money away."

Mr. Mutiu Daramola explains how a Muslim should give alms and warns that they could be held accountable for giving out money carelessly on Judgement Day.

He says, "My religion encourages alms-giving. But it forbids you to give money to people who spend the money in doubtful circumstances.

"As far as I am concerned, the women in white that you talked about are out of it because they indulge in idol worship. No smart guy that is supposed to look for something meaningful to do can force me to give him money to support any ministry."

The Opemolua of Ikateland, Chief Adesegun Elegushi, who is also the leader of all Osun worshippers in Lagos, frowns on those who beg for alms in the name of the goddess. Elegushi deplores the act of street begging among worshippers of the deity.

He says, "Osun is always in white clothes and this is not in any way related to poverty. We have banned those who take to begging on the streets and we have directed our police to go after them. Nobody that is abarameji (witch/wizard) can come near Osun. And as a worshipper of the goddess, you dare not engage in evil or she will expose you."

On Thursday, the streets of Ikeja, Yaba, Ojodu, Agege, and Ogba, a few of the areas where they are usually sighted in Lagos, were unusually without the familiar figures of female worshippers of the deity dressed in white clothes. Our correspondent learnt that they were absent because they had gone to perform a weekly ritual of sacrifices to Osun.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/new-forms-of-begging-on-lagos-streets/
Re: New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets by Nchara: 6:17am On Mar 19, 2012
These folks are so ridiculous. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets by KINGwax(m): 9:17am On Mar 19, 2012
Nchara: These folks are so ridiculous. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
are u so vile and afraid u can't wait for someone to comment? U posted, u made d comment too. And u've been so nicely ignored that i'm posting this after like 3hrs. Don't worry, i'm making u get d cheap publicity u craved for. I knw comments may start rolling in too.
In my opinion, i think since these people aint carrying guns in beggin for alms, we should concentrate on those who take by force! And from what i knw, of every 10 arm-robbers arrested, 8 are igbos!
Re: New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets by Ejine(m): 10:23am On Mar 19, 2012
Oh wow. It's a pity @OP. But folks gotta find a way to survive.
Re: New Forms Of Begging On Lagos Streets by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 19, 2012
funny enough. Those fine bara wearing suits are not Yorubas.

(1) (Reply)

APGA Is Bent On Taking Abia State, But That Won’t Happen . / Gov Amechi And Okporo Road / SSS Parades Suspect Hired By Governor Akpabio To ‘kill’ Senator Etok

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.