Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Is The Census A Failure? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Census A Failure? (1762 Views)

The Scandal Of Census Figures / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results / What Is The Importance Of Census In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Census A Failure? by toshmann(m): 2:29pm On Mar 24, 2006
brothers (and sisters),
i was reading the guardian newspapers today and i got to know,quite sadly that the census is not going as planned.stories of violence, unpaid enumerators,unhappy populace etc. infact, to add insult to injury, the ugandan environment minister is quoted as having derided the country. this is unimaginable. but i would like to hear what my brothers in the forum think. more information can be got from this site

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article02/240306

(this is my 1st thread and i hope i did not break any rules and more importantly i hope i got it right)

cheers
toshmann sad
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by otokx(m): 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2006
i wont say its a failure because i did not expect anything better. the common man is forced to starve at home while the big shots move about in sirens. just imagine staying in the house with this our weather and no electricity you will want to run MAD.
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by toshmann(m): 3:03pm On Mar 24, 2006
why can't nigeria get something right?
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by Larufa(m): 6:45pm On Mar 24, 2006
This census is a fraud, Waste of time and money.
I am not surprise at all.
Federal Govt. of Nigeria is always working toward the answer.
They know the census exercise will be a failure and there will be demonstrations all over the country. Maybe OBJ wants to use that to overstay in ASO ROCK.
I wonder what the NPC has being doing all these days.
No Logistic at all, payment of traineee na wahala. Droping of trained personnel for untrained politicials. No Pencil , No eraser, no form NPC NO --------.

They will just give a figure. No reasonable statistical analysis can be done with the figure.

OH MY GOD, why waste 17Billion Naira.

Census and the Effect of 5 days stay at home:
A. More Babies.
B. Overweight.
C. Empty Pocket.
D. Boredom.
E. Power Holding Punishment.
F. Neighbours' nuisance.
G. Endless wait for census guys,
We are winning.

Census as robbery By Reuben Abati --http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article02
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by Mariory(m): 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2006
onanugaola:

This census is a fraud, Waste of time and money.
I am not surprise at all.
Federal Govt. of Nigeria is always working toward the answer.
They know the census exercise will be a failure and there will be demonstrations all over the country. Maybe OBJ wants to use that to overstay in ASO ROCK.
I wonder what the NPC has being doing all these days.
No Logistic at all, payment of traineee na wahala. Droping of trained personnel for untrained politicials. No Pencil , No eraser, no form NPC NO --------.

They will just give a figure. No reasonable statistical analysis can be done with the figure.

OH MY GOD, why waste 17Billion Naira.

Census and the Effect of 5 days stay at home:
A. More Babies.
B. Overweight.
C. Empty Pocket.
D. Boredom.
E. Power Holding Punishment.
F. Neighbours' nuisance.
G. Endless wait for census guys,
We are winning.

Census as robbery By Reuben Abati --http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article02

First of all, points A, B, D, and F are all your choice and have absolutely nothing to do with Government. There have been problems in certain areas. There are 36 States in nigeria + FCT and the number of states that have had problems is not up to 10 from what I have heard. And in those States, the problems are only in certain areas not State wide.
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by otokx(m): 2:23pm On Mar 25, 2006
@mariory; we have heard your opinion and we thank you for the information which is a replica of what the NPC chairman said.

this is a dress rehearsal for what will happen in the next elections. right in front of my office now now now; they have taken over the place. an entire LG area has relocated their administrative staff and they have been photocopying and carrying census forms since yesterday. they are complete with mobile policemen making sure nobody interferes. i was not thumbprinted infact they just mark your hand to indicate that you have been counted after filling the form for you. But again I will say its not a failure cause they are perfecting their plans for the mother of all election come 2007
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by Mariory(m): 4:08pm On Mar 25, 2006
otokx:

@mariory; we have heard your opinion and we thank you for the information which is a replica of what the NPC chairman said.

this is a dress rehearsal for what will happen in the next elections. right in front of my office now now now; they have taken over the place. an entire LG area has relocated their administrative staff and they have been photocopying and carrying census forms since yesterday. they are complete with mobile policemen making sure nobody interferes. i was not thumbprinted infact they just mark your hand to indicate that you have been counted after filling the form for you. But again I will say its not a failure cause they are perfecting their plans for the mother of all election come 2007

Thanks for hearing my opinion. We have also heard yours which is also what people who like to complain about everything say. Photocopying forms you say? Yeah right. Those forms have computerised serial numbers and bar codes, so making a lot of copies of the same serial numbers won't work. But of course why bother? After all, according to some people everything is about "third term".

After all, anything a nigerian government does is a waste of time. So lets just leave the system as it is and keep complaining. Because simply moaning about our situation is the best way to improve our lives. Well Done.

Even when the British carried out the first count, they also ran into problems.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060325/ap_on_re_af/counting_nigerians;_ylt=AuvJxT352nu6c9VRrS1VFwm96Q8F;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--
(Last paragraph)
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by otokx(m): 8:56am On Mar 27, 2006
@mariory, i don't know why the generalizations? every government has something it does right. even the so called "wicked" Abacha did one or two things right so don't make such a conclusion. The 2 day extension was due to the complaints that were voiced. Even on the NTA people were shown photocopying and using forms due to a dearth of materials so whats your stress?
Re: Is The Census A Failure? by Chxta(m): 11:20am On Mar 27, 2006
Did you know that it takes exactly 13 minutes at 80km/h to go from Mobil Bus Stop at Victoria Island to Ajah Bus Stop? This timing was done on the morning of Tuesday 21 March 2006 between 0812 and 0825 hours in a friend's car. Because of the confusion surrounding whether there would or there would not be a census, all three of us (myself, Lanre and Uche) had gone to our respective places of work, all on the island to confirm. Happily, there was no work and we were able to go back to our little bunker in Ajah to get this incredible stretch of rest which I am now sick of. A lot happened during the period of the census, and my thoughts as to what to actually write are still jumbled up, but I will make an effort to fill your screen,

On Wednesday, I left Ajah for my uncle's place at Magodo, the other end of Lagos. Who knows, that may have been a blessing in disguise as I got counted on Saturday. For your information, I was not counted during the last census (due to a bit of recalcitrance on my part which I'd rather not go into). Why do I say it was a blessing that I have been counted? Because on my return to Ajah yesterday, I found that no one there has been counted. This is for an area that covers at least Ajah down to Abraham Adesanya Estate, and probably beyond. An area that I would estimate contains at least half a million people! Is there a chance of their being counted today which is the last day of the extended census? I sincerely doubt it if I am to go by what I was told by a colleague at work this morning. He claims that census officials got to his area in Ejigbo, took one look at the estate and decided that there were too many people for them to count!

Reuben Abati in yesterday's Guardian wrote a fine article on why the census will not be successful and he was only echoing Jeremy Weate's article in Naijablog. This census has failed already, because there was a lot of insincerity on the part of the Federal Government. Personally, I saw a lot of stranded census officials on Wednesday, and all of them had the same complaint: lack of materials. Haba!

One great piece of news to come out in the last one week was Babangida finally taking a stand on the 3rd term issue. I was thrilled by the retired general whose influence is something to be taken seriously, coming out openly to say “I will run in 2007, and there will be no 3rd term.” I wonder what Baba will do about this one, abi will EFCC go after Maradona? We shall soon know.

Meantime, another interesting thing happened during the last week. An acquaintance of mine was nabbed by EFCC for 419. Rather sad story when you consider that his parents are rich, I wonder what his problem was really. To be honest, I can't say I really feel sorry for him, but I ain't gloating either, this is because I am not a saint. Like every other person, I have committed my own 'crimes' one way or the other, and in my case maybe some of my crimes are slightly more serious than those committed by a lot of other people, but I haven't been found out, so I shouldn't be making noises. Why I am commenting on this is that I keep wondering why is it that so many boys go into something that obviously has no future? Look at Ajudua. Look at Anajemba. The list is endless. I'll write more about the 419 thing some other time, for now let me get back to work,

(1) (Reply)

The Concealed And Gospel Truth About The Jos North Lg Election Crises / Cross River Loses Status As Oil State / S-africa With Their Envyness! Nigeria On The High Side! E Go Beter If We Want

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.