Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

What Up And Coming African Artists Can Learn From Mo’hits & The Split! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Up And Coming African Artists Can Learn From Mo’hits & The Split! (579 Views)

The Truth: D’banj Explains How He Was Kicked Out Of Mo’hits Records By Don Jazzy / Don Jazzy & Akon Top Richest African Artists, Musicians In 2013– Forbes Magazine / Kelly Hansome Arrested & Released After Signing An Undertaking To Mo’hits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Up And Coming African Artists Can Learn From Mo’hits & The Split! by pckid: 7:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
The band, group or label break-up isn’t unheard of in the music biz. It’s a business rife with uncertainty and drastic changes. I’m well versed with the Destiny’s Child line-up changes, the inter-camp domestics, the back and forth media rebuttals, the drama – like any relationship, things go wrong.

So while the relationship between the two men at the helm of Africa’s finest African-owned label, Mo’hits Records – Michael Collins a.k.a Don Jazzy, the founder, and D’Banj, the label’s first signed artist as well as its Vice President – may now be at an end, it’s not earth-shattering news. It happens.

Nonetheless, their 8-year relationship seemed so perfect and fruitful that the reaction to mere rumours of the split was widespread disbelief, and Don Jazzy had to take to Twitter to clear things up: “It is with a heavy heart that I announce the end of a long era and the beginning of a new one”.

So what does this mean for the recent signing of the label to Kanye West’s G.O.O.D Music? We’ll have to wait and see. Everyone knows that egos are usually involved such break-ups, so it won’t surprise you to learn that rumours of an ego clash between the two are floating around, rumours relating to the aforementioned signing with G.O.O.D. Both guys are making international moves, but Don Jazzy is the one with vocal and production credits on hip-hop’s most anticipated album of 2011, Watch The Throne, for Lift Off, a song featuring Beyoncé.

I’m not too concerned about what caused the split, the ‘exclusive interviews’, the division of the camp, the speculation and personal details. People who care about who takes which rides and who keeps the bling can monitor the gossip blogs all day long if they have the time. Music history has shown that the end of one thing often means a breath of life for another. And when Don Jazzy writes that, ‘…to end [the] old era, I will be donating the proceeds of my production catalogue from day one till date to five ch... http://questionmarkmag.com/2012/03/what-up-and-coming-african-artists-can-learn-from-mo%E2%80%99hits-split/

(1) (Reply)

Aceworld Exclusive - Pass The Mic | The Nigerian Rap Game ...by Wale Applause / Are U A Fresh Comedian? / Which Is P-square's Best Music Video So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.