Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,719 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:44 AM

Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers (25444 Views)

Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 / Java Coding Challenge: Task Scheduler / Coding Challenge 5: Substring Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Seun(m): 1:44pm On Mar 29, 2012
delomos: @abbyode & @seun: this really isn't a valid entry anymore than MS Excel is...
Yeah, but it's the only entry so far, so he's a step ahead of everyone else.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by jeebz: 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2012
@abbyode, nice one, I'm tripping
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by UsherRaymond1: 7:16pm On Mar 29, 2012
Excellent work, i agree! competition over. E wa ma lo si ile yin.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by doncigalo: 1:05am On Mar 30, 2012
@abbyode nice one !! never heard of Alpha Five till today. By the way are there any open source alternatives ?
@don_jayzi so DHTML wot u been up to dese days ? tongue
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 5:44am On Mar 31, 2012
doncigalo: @abbyode nice one !! never heard of Alpha Five till today. By the way are there any open source alternatives ?
@don_jayzi so DHTML wot u been up to dese days ? tongue
Alpha five might be unpopular but it has been in existence for over 2 decades.
The new version allows you to write complex web and desktop applications FASTER and without writing a single line of code.
Alpha five is not an open source IDE but its underline programming language is XBasic.
You can read more of it on www.alphasoftware.com .

delomos: @abbyode & @seun: this really isn't a valid entry anymore than MS Excel is...
Okay cool, you could just try to upload your Excel to the web. Then you will appreciate what they mean by a web application.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Seun(m): 6:34am On Mar 31, 2012
@abbyode: Thanks for your entry. Can we see your source code?
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 7:24am On Mar 31, 2012
Seun: @abbyode: Thanks for your entry. Can we see your source code?
Like i said earlier, Alpha five gives you the option of developing complex web applications without writing a single line of code.
It generates a code for you at the backend.

Kindly find attached the attached file for the codes generated for the application.

Regards.

Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Seun(m): 7:35am On Mar 31, 2012
Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks so much.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by doncigalo: 11:03am On Mar 31, 2012
abbyode:
The new version allows you to write complex web and desktop applications FASTER and without writing a single line of code.
Alpha five is not an open source IDE but its underline programming language is XBasic.

Ait, perhaps you misunderstood my question, I didnt ask whether Alpha five was opensource or not. I asked whether there are any opensource alternatives to Alpha Five ?
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 12:29pm On Mar 31, 2012
doncigalo:

Ait, perhaps you misunderstood my question, I didnt ask whether Alpha five was opensource or not. I asked whether there are any opensource alternatives to Alpha Five ?
Alpha five background code is xbasic which is an open source programming language.
I don't know of any open source platform that is as easy as alpha five. You may give php a trial.
Regards.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by delomos(m): 8:55pm On Mar 31, 2012
abbyode:
The new version allows you to write complex web and desktop applications FASTER and[b] without writing a single line of code[/b].

Okay cool, you could just try to upload your Excel to the web. Then you will appreciate what they mean by a web application.

Tread softly partner, perhaps you didn't read the title of this thread: "Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers" writing your own code is implied -- this is not a challenge of how can use a piece of software faster.

Again, I repeat, it's not a valid entry in this context -- it's not fair to those honestly trying to solve the problem.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by pystar: 11:44pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Seun,
Here is my solution on Google code http://code.google.com/p/nairaland-coding-challenge/. I created it using Python/web2py, if you have any issues running it contact me @ twitter.com/pystar.or leave a comment here.

1 Like

Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 12:20am On Apr 01, 2012
delomos:

Tread softly partner, perhaps you didn't read the title of this thread: "Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers" writing your own code is implied -- this is not a challenge of how can use a piece of software faster.

Again, I repeat, it's not a valid entry in this context -- it's not fair to those honestly trying to solve the problem.
Did you also notice the below in the original post?

- Write the application in any programming language or web framework of your choice (except maybe PHP?)
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by doncigalo: 12:50am On Apr 01, 2012
@abbyode Isnt Alpha Five an RAD IDE and PHP a open source server scripting language ?? So how can I use PHP as an RAD IDE ?? Im looking for an open source RAD IDE not an open source scripting language.

@suen when r u gonna announce the winner ?
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by gururguy: 1:00am On Apr 01, 2012
i like php.. is very simple and clean. why shldnt we use php
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by delomos(m): 1:14am On Apr 01, 2012
abbyode:
Did you also notice the below in the original post?

- Write the application in any programming language or web framework of your choice (except maybe PHP?)

Perhaps seeing what a web framework is might enlighten and seeing how it differs from AW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application_framework
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 1:43am On Apr 01, 2012
delomos:

Perhaps seeing what a web framework is might enlighten and seeing how it differs from AW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application_framework
I still maintain that Alpha five is a web framework and a full IDE just like the way Visual Studio is.
It is more than just a RAD or a code generator.
I can relate it with ZEND for php but much more powerful.

I challenge you to read the whitepaper on the link below.
It will educate you on what alpha five is.

http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/whitepapers/2011_10_16_AlphaFivev11_overview.pdf

regards.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 1:49am On Apr 01, 2012
doncigalo: @abbyode Isnt Alpha Five an RAD IDE and PHP a open source server scripting language ?? So how can I use PHP as an RAD IDE ?? Im looking for an open source RAD IDE not an open source scripting language.

@suen when r u gonna announce the winner ?

Well, I'm not sure I got u clearly but I can answer you simply this way.

Alpha five is to XBasic just like Zend Studio is to php in developing web applications. However, alpha five could also build desktop and mobile applications.
It is a full IDE but not open source, just like Visual Studio.
However, its underlining code, XBASIC, is like visual basic and it is open source.

I will recommend that you try alpha five out.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by delomos(m): 3:29am On Apr 01, 2012
abbyode:
I still maintain that Alpha five is a web framework and a full IDE just like the way Visual Studio is.
It is more than just a RAD or a code generator.
I can relate it with ZEND for php but much more powerful.

I don't really understand how you think this is more powerful than Zend, the framework, the IDE or the Company?

The Whitepaper was clearly written by a marketer, I strongly doubt a developer will make this statement:

"Alpha Five Version 11 is a new major release of the InfoWorld #1 rated rapid
application development tool that lets you build powerful & secure AJAX
business database applications for the web and mobile devices significantly
faster than with products like visual studio, J2EE, and PHP "

This is absolutely comparing Apples to Mangos to Bananas and you are making the same mistake too. A5 is a software product with an integrated IDE, it is not a framework in the way they (or you compare it to VS).

Zend Studio and Visual Studio are IDE (development Environment) for languages, C#, HTML, CSS, PHP, ... The question is not if it's closed or Open (legacy C# is not open source), the question is, is it a programming framework off a language.

.NET is a framework off C# / Visual Basic
Zend framework or Symfony is a framework off PHP
Ruby on Rails is a framework off Ruby,
Is Alpha Five a framework of XBasic .. before you answer, you might want to read this: http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Xbasic+is+the+Brains+of+Alpha+Five
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 4:45am On Apr 01, 2012
@delomos: What exactly is your question? I really don't like exchanging words.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by delomos(m): 4:54am On Apr 01, 2012
Neither do I... question is, Is Alpha Five a framework of XBasic
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by abbyode(m): 5:27am On Apr 01, 2012
delomos: Neither do I... question is, Is Alpha Five a framework of XBasic
Yes it is, simply put.
Does that answer your question?
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by pystar: 6:57am On Apr 01, 2012
@Seun,
When does this competition end? I have already submitted my solution
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by pystar: 6:14pm On Apr 01, 2012
Or is this challenge an April Fool's joke?
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Seun(m): 11:43pm On Apr 01, 2012
pystar: @Seun,
Here is my solution on Google code http://code.google.com/p/nairaland-coding-challenge/. I created it using Python/web2py, if you have any issues running it contact me @ twitter.com/pystar.or leave a comment here.

Just seeing this. Thanks so much.
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Slimtugo: 7:29am On May 06, 2012

1 Like

Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by jeebz: 7:21pm On May 31, 2012
Oga Seun, when will u announce the winners?
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Nobody: 2:20am On Dec 04, 2019
Seun:
You've been hired to teach Computer Appreciation at a local Secondary school for one term. During that term, you're expected to give the students 2 tests (15 marks each), one practical project(10 marks) and 1 exam (100 marks to be scaled down to 60 marks).

Write a secure single user mini web application that you can use to enter each student's name and raw scores, calculate each student's total score for the term (a percentage), determine the position of each student in the class, and calculate the average score for males & females in the class.

- Use mercurial, git or subversion for source control and post your solution on git/bitbucket/google-code!!

The amount of money involve matters a lot[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by Dkyz(m): 1:57pm On Feb 01, 2020
cr8tv:

tnx, but how much is involve? i have a similar application like this...

Re: Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers by steveminer: 8:30pm On Dec 11, 2020
I was archiving some stuff and found this on web archive.
Too bad the challenge ended cheesy

I would've participated for www.nspek.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Programmers: What Project(s) Are You Working On Now? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / How Do I Start Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.