Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,760 members, 7,813,518 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

River State State Currently Generate More Power Than They Need - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / River State State Currently Generate More Power Than They Need (663 Views)

Sylva: I Remain APC Governorship Candidate In Bayelsa State State / There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo / There Will Be No More Power Outages – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

River State State Currently Generate More Power Than They Need by remmyz(m): 10:51pm On Mar 24, 2012
i was watching a video interview by funmi iyanda about portharcourt on AIT about an hour ago now. and to my surprise, The state governor said the state currently generate 500megawatt of electricity and what the state needs is just 400mgw. he was asked y d state his not having 24hr power supply, he replied....the law of the land does not permit states to distribute their power. i really dnt know how true dis is, and is it nt insane dat we still keep such law in dis country. y cant dey use the 400 they need and sell d remaining to d fg

1 Like

Re: River State State Currently Generate More Power Than They Need by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:57am On Mar 25, 2012
That's Nigeria for you: a country where logic is turned on it's head. Trust me, you're not the only one wondering about the existence of certain laws and constitutional provisions that are in place only to protect the interests of a few or a section of the country that doesn't want to contribute its own quota to development, but prevents others from reaching their full potential in the process.

They say we run a 'Federal' system of gov't yet the component parts are not allowed to develop and progress at their own pace. Some are encumbered by others who don't want to take education seriously, make the most use of the vast tracts of arable land they have for agriculture and just allow peace to reign so the country as a whole can attract foreign investments and tourists.

I believe if we practised true 'Federalism', states with proactive Governors like Lagos, Rivers, Imo and Akwa Ibom would be able to make the most of the natural resources God has blessed them with (remitting about 50% of revenue collected to the centre), and a state like Lagos could even make a killing from getting its fair due from tax revenue.

For as long as the leaders/Elite (esp'in the South) don't grow a strong pair of blocos and DEMAND the convocation of a SOVEREIGN NATIONAL [b]CONFERENCE [/b]to iron out a few issues, i can assure you we will continue to have motion without movement in this country. Sometimes i wonder what we've been able to achieve since 1999 besides GSM, paying salaries and living from hand to mouth : nothing in provision of power, nothing in sports, hardly much achieved in health care, nothing in education (Universities, public secondary and primary schools are a disgrace), nothing in roads/highway construction, nothing in tourism, etc. There are pockets of development and success stories hear and there (esp' with a few state Governors, and Abuja), but nothing to make an impact nationally.

For those thinking that there is one person or the other that could have been voted in at the centre and things will automatically start improving, abeg no make me laugh. A house built on a decayed/faulty foundation will never last, no matter the quality of materials used; get the basics right first and the rest will follow.
Re: River State State Currently Generate More Power Than They Need by jason123: 3:31am On Mar 25, 2012
sad sad sad angry
Re: River State State Currently Generate More Power Than They Need by remmyz(m): 6:04am On Mar 25, 2012
@pro igbo....well said bro. even we as.a citizen are not ready to fight for our right. d problem we hv in dis country are too enormous. u wont believe i tried to mobilize sm youths in my area to go to our local council development area in ipaja. to meet with d chairman and ask him wat he has done for d past 8month or so. d response i got was so bad, and to add salt to insult, dey said i hv collected moni from pdp. d party i hate with so much passion. well lets just cont to pray to God to gv us a good followers so dat we can rise up and demand for our right as a citizen.

(1) (Reply)

FT Praises Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / How Adamawa Ex-ssg Stole N300m In Three Months, By ICPC / kolo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.