Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,370 members, 7,864,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:41 AM

Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal (8649 Views)

FG Signs Solar-Power Deal With India / Nigeria's Power Sector Is Ready For Investment - General Electric / General Electric To Assemble Train-Engines In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by kokoA(m): 8:32am On Mar 26, 2012
Whistling 2Face Idibia's song ******* e be like say dem want to tell us anoda story again ooo*****
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 26, 2012
udochika: With all the jobless electrical and mechanical engineers our universities produces year-in year-out, cant they buld a power plant ??, this kontery don tire me ohh!

Power is not a small venture. GE is one of world leading brand, with their assets running into trillions of USD; and according to a little research, the smallest funds a start-up company willing to go into power business would require, starts from $100,000,000 upwards. I'm not talking about these Chinese companies that would sell you inverters you"d have to plug to a battery, or generator manufacturers, those are back-ups, and not real energy. So, do your maths in your Nigerian Naira.
And besides, banks dont loan this kind of money out....because when it comes to power, the ROI takes sometimes, 2-3 decades before they start coming. Even one of the world largest investment group: Berkshire and Hathaway, owned by Warren Buffet, never went anywhere near Power because it serves a board thats concerned in yearly dividends.
Its an extremely big business, not the type our half-baked mech and elect-engineer have an iota of idea about, or the capital to start.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 26, 2012
Another way to waste money

I'm just so sure that we are probably going to hear nada about this project again

The money is certainly being pocketed by some people

GE? That one is just another cover up

God help us and we help ourselves by making our Government accountable
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 26, 2012
Na Wa oo....1 billion dollars.....158 billion naira
10 billion dollars....158*10....The answer is.....Which means there is something missing here....On the long run, if something has to be planned in a country, why should it be signed in another....Very weird..
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by LailaIkeji1: 9:19am On Mar 26, 2012
ceejay80s: was about 2 say same thing! Once upon a time, time time

i think say na only me oo.

i don grab my pop corn jare make we dey watch them.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by PhysicsQED(m): 9:20am On Mar 26, 2012
Good news.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by globalaid(m): 9:26am On Mar 26, 2012
how can #175 billion equal to $10 billion dollar, junk reporting, they normally proof read before publising.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by jyaky123: 9:29am On Mar 26, 2012
hi welcome to this forums site
here we can get much more solution
from expert thank you
Top Ten classified website
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 26, 2012
Another animal talk.... undecided
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Eazybon(m): 9:41am On Mar 26, 2012
I did pay for steady light than payin for unsteady one every month.screw PHCN n NEPA
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Ozonna(m): 9:49am On Mar 26, 2012
aasog1:

Power is not a small venture. GE is one of world leading brand, with their assets running into trillions of USD; and according to a little research, the smallest funds a start-up company willing to go into power business would require, starts from $100,000,000 upwards. I'm not talking about these Chinese companies that would sell you inverters you"d have to plug to a battery, or generator manufacturers, those are back-ups, and not real energy. So, do your maths in your Nigerian Naira.
And besides, banks dont loan this kind of money out....because when it comes to power, the ROI takes sometimes, 2-3 decades before they start coming. Even one of the world largest investment group: Berkshire and Hathaway, owned by Warren Buffet, never went anywhere near Power because it serves a board thats concerned in yearly dividends.
Its an extremely big business, not the type our half-baked mech and elect-engineer have an iota of idea about, or the capital to start.

Spot on!!! Infact dis's a gud time 2 study Elect/Elect,mech and every course dat has 2 do wit Power generation. Those dat've degrees from foreign schools will ofcourse have more advantage getin employed. Cos I doubt if we have enuf well trained and qualified engineers to man d many power stations dat'll be acroSs d country in d next 5-10 yrs. We wouldn't wanna have plenty oyibos still here manning our power in next 50yrs just like d Oyel industry, do we?
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by xterra2(m): 10:03am On Mar 26, 2012
175billion is NOT equal $10billion
Geez who the hell is the writer

$1billion is 158billion
While $10biilion is 1.58trillion
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by unclenna(m): 10:07am On Mar 26, 2012
moderattor: we are finished!
These americans will show us peper!
Steady power supply with enslaving tarrif!
Anyway sha
trust naija
if NEPA too cost we roll out our tiger generators!
Gbagaun!
no matter how, it will still be cheaper than gen. I said that time shall come when you will tell the unborn that there was a period in this country when blackout was everywhere but they will not believe you.

1 Like

Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by blacksta(m): 10:20am On Mar 26, 2012
Please wake me , when they start building a plant until then na the usual talk and talk
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by desthan(m): 10:44am On Mar 26, 2012
Forget all this red-necks. . .

Go get the Asians i.e Daewoo, Hyundai. . . . and the see magic
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by playboy19(m): 10:44am On Mar 26, 2012
blacksta: Please wake me , when they start building a plant until then na the usual talk and talk

Well i will like to believe that this project will be a bit different from others. GE is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Electric supplier in the world and majority of it's stake is own by Warren Buffet, and if you know that man, you'll know he doesnt joke with his biz. Plus, this is not in anyway political, it's strictly business, so let's be optimistic.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by prettyboi1(m): 10:53am On Mar 26, 2012
shymmex:

Tell me one successful American project in Nigeria or West Africa? They only have exploitation corporations like Chevron and Exxon Mobil. American companies don't give a phuck about Nigeria. They see the Nigerian establishment as utterly corrupt - and they will join in the corruption.

What happened to corporations from countries like:

- China.
- South Africa.
- Brazil.
- South Korea.
- Iran (yes Iran).
- Canada.
- Germany

American and British companies in Nigeria are fraudulent! Another Halliburton project in Nigeria!

Low IQ and utterly corrupt leaders + stupid, retarded, and gullible followers = Nigeria
I agree with you all the way from the beginning of your post to the very end of it. We are too gullible & never learn in this country. I love the idea of the whole deal,I'm only against the fact that we never learn in this country. Americans & britons don't give a Damn,they know how corrupt the Nigerian system is & they always get soo happy to join in the fun of corruption & as always,we never prosecute them. When are we going to start looking away from America & Britain everytime & connecting with other trustworthy & also efficient people? Your list for instance is also a cool suggestion of countries we could check for partners in terms of power generation & electricity.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by prettyboi1(m): 10:54am On Mar 26, 2012
desthan: Forget all this red-necks. . .

Go get the Asians i.e Daewoo, Hyundai. . . . and the see magic
.WORD.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Kobojunkie: 11:09am On Mar 26, 2012
Exponental:

then, who was d minister of power? Wat knowledge had he in d power sector. No matter d amount, management is very very important.

I think it is safe to say at this point that the knowledge claimed by our ministers counts for little when it comes to tackling the problems in this nation. With the high number of PHDs we have in office today, one would expect that would amount to a real push in the positive direction for the nation but so far, all we still have are just the PHDs carrying politicians, and not much else.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Acelifted: 11:57am On Mar 26, 2012
However, $10 billion can still make a significant dent in the power needs of this nation, as it stands today.

Significant "DENT"? Haba! make una dey speak dis English small small abeg.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by debosky(m): 12:06pm On Mar 26, 2012
We still don't even have clarity on what was signed - it sounds like it was a general agreement/MOU, not a contract for GE to invest $10bn.

Related to this GA/MOU is that GE MAY be interested in taking 15% equity in certain power projects - whether this refers to existing facilities or new ones is also not clear.

Furthermore, any investment will not happen till AFTER privatisation - it's not clear when privatisation will be completed.

The article is just full of contradictions - in one breath Nnaji said that GE will provide '15%' and the government will provide 'the rest', while in the next the article says the FG will NOT be involved in the projects but provide guarantees to private investment.

The conclusion to me seems to be that the GE may be willing to be an equity investor in power plants thereby making financing of new power projects easier.

However, there is no clarity on who these private investors will be, who will ensure they provide good quality power projects (not like the botched OBJ IPP's building turbines and power stations with no gas supply).

Bad journalism and poor information management in general - I'd have expected Nnaji to release a concise press statement covering the signing so readers can understand what was signed instead of reading in between the Nation's own comments and quotes from a few individuals.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by deenee: 12:28pm On Mar 26, 2012
The deal is a step in the right direction. I just pray that it is not politicized like most capital projects we have embarked on in Nigeria. No doubt, GE is one of the best firms in the world and they have participated in a lot of seminal transactions in many countries. The power project embarked on by Obansanjo's regime would have seen the 'light of the day' if the aforementioned issue( politics) had been left out of it.

God bless Nigeria!
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Beaf: 1:15pm On Mar 26, 2012
Ozonna:

Spot on!!! Infact dis's a gud time 2 study Elect/Elect,mech and every course dat has 2 do wit Power generation. Those dat've degrees from foreign schools will ofcourse have more advantage getin employed. Cos I doubt if we have enuf well trained and qualified engineers to man d many power stations dat'll be acroSs d country in d next 5-10 yrs. We wouldn't wanna have plenty oyibos still here manning our power in next 50yrs just like d Oyel industry, do we?

Word. cool
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Wallie(m): 1:36pm On Mar 26, 2012
pretty_boi:
I agree with you all the way from the beginning of your post to the very end of it. We are too gullible & never learn in this country. I love the idea of the whole deal,I'm only against the fact that we never learn in this country. Americans & britons don't give a Damn,they know how corrupt the Nigerian system is & they always get soo happy to join in the fun of corruption & as always,we never prosecute them. When are we going to start looking away from America & Britain everytime & connecting with other trustworthy & also efficient people? Your list for instance is also a cool suggestion of countries we could check for partners in terms of power generation & electricity.

@shymmex and pretty_boi

What you guys fail to realize is that businesses are out to make money and ANY business will seek an advantage if the environment allows for it. However, unlike almost every other country, the US actively seeks to punish companies that violate American law. There’s a law (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) of 1977) that makes bribery by businesses illegal even when operating in a foreign land.

The following American companies have been charged for foreign corrupt practices in the last few years:
-IBM
-Halliburton
-Tyson foods
-General Electric
-Alcatel-Lucent
-Daimler (Mercedes-Benz)

Germany allows bribery either directly or indirectly because foreign bribes paid by German companies are tax deductible. This means that if a German company and an American company are competing for a contract, the German company will likely win because they are free to pay-off the government officials.

Show me any other country in the world, including China that prosecutes businesses for what they do abroad. I doubt you would be able to name more than one!
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Wallie(m): 1:42pm On Mar 26, 2012
I think the $15 billion will be financing offered by GE towards purchasing their power generating turbines. I highly doubt they would be running the power generating plant(s) themselves. American companies are somewhat handicapped in operating in an environment like Nigeria.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by KnowAll(m): 2:02pm On Mar 26, 2012
That would be the 1,000,000th millionth Mou

Nothing to show for after signing all those good for nothing Mou’s

Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Kobojunkie: 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2012
Wallie: I think the $15 billion will be financing offered by GE towards purchasing their power generating turbines. I highly doubt they would be running the power generating plant(s) themselves. American companies are somewhat handicapped in operating in an environment like Nigeria.

GE will finance a problem of that amount in Nigeria, knowing it is likely it will have no hand in the running of the plants at the end of the day? undecided undecided undecided

From what I have seen to date, anytime Government mentions it will not be funding a project or another, at the end of the day we discover it is, so I would wait to see if this MOU amounts to much at the end of the day, where exactly the funding will come from. I remember the many PPP projects that ended up near 100% funded by, yes, Government.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by kokoA(m): 2:08pm On Mar 26, 2012
Dis our naija gofement sef.. dem no dey taya for 'MOU'? Haba! Not like any of the so called MOUs have worked before o.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Marlboro1: 2:44pm On Mar 26, 2012
Point of correction. GE and FGN will each contribute 15 % as equity interests to the project and the difference will be sourced from public and pension funds.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Wallie(m): 3:27pm On Mar 26, 2012
Kobojunkie:

GE will finance a problem of that amount in Nigeria, knowing it is likely it will have no hand in the running of the plants at the end of the day? undecided undecided undecided

From what I have seen to date, anytime Government mentions it will not be funding a project or another, at the end of the day we discover it is, so I would wait to see if this MOU amounts to much at the end of the day, where exactly the funding will come from. I remember the many PPP projects that ended up near 100% funded by, yes, Government.

I merely highlight the fact that running a company and having an equity stake are two different things. The money (financing) will be provided to highly capable/solvent companies with the experience to take on the monumental challenges presented. If I were a betting man, I would bet that you will not see GE Power Generating company in Nigeria. You will probably see the likes of Halliburton & co with GE turbines. But I guess only time will tell!
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by playmode(m): 3:34pm On Mar 26, 2012
It is always so sad to see so called educated Nigerians go gaga over such news. Let me ask you guys one question ,how hard can be to build a power plant that we need to ask foreign firms to build one for us?

Generating power is not rocket science! All it requires is commitment, funds and a trained staff. The Nigerian Government makes a lot of money every year that if we want to build one new power plant per year we could do it. I am sick and tired of all this BS stories. We don't need GE or any other company to pay for our power plants. GEJ simply needs to contract an experienced company to build one for us and train the Nigerians who will run it.I also agree that any agreement involving Americans never bear any fruit, just some propaganda to get us all hopeful.

Our leaders just make Nigerians look stupid on a daily basis , we can not do anything for ourselves except we involve a 3rd party.We are still talking about 10,000 Megawatts when we actually need 170,000 Megawatts to effectively power Nigeria.We will never have change until we decide and commit to change. Shame on us.
Re: Fed Govt, General Electric (GE) In $10b Power Deal by Wallie(m): 4:02pm On Mar 26, 2012
playmode: It is always so sad to see so called educated Nigerians go gaga over such news. Let me ask you guys one question ,how hard can be to build a power plant that we need to ask foreign firms to build one for us?

Generating power is not rocket science! All it requires is commitment, funds and a trained staff. The Nigerian Government makes a lot of money every year that if we want to build one new power plant per year we could do it. I am sick and tired of all this BS stories. We don't need GE or any other company to pay for our power plants. [b]GEJ simply needs to contract an experienced company to build one for us and train the Nigerians who will run it.[/b]I also agree that any agreement involving Americans never bear any fruit, just some propaganda to get us all hopeful.

Our leaders just make Nigerians look stupid on a daily basis , we can not do anything for ourselves except we involve a 3rd party.We are still talking about 10,000 Megawatts when we actually need 170,000 Megawatts to effectively power Nigeria.We will never have change until we decide and commit to change. Shame on us.

Contract and train Nigerians like they’ve been doing over the last several decades with nothing to show for it? How can you keep doing the same thing and expect different results? Even the government knows that help is needed to break the current cycle!

1. Between 1999 and 2007 Nigeria spent $15 billion on power. Can you please show me the result?

2. It is estimated that Nigeria will need about $10 billion yearly to meet the current power needs. Where exactly is the money going to come from? Out of which budget? As it is, the current government is getting rid of the fuel subsidy because it is putting a strain on the economy and you want them to make a $10 billion yearly investment? How much exactly do we earn from oil, yearly?

3. Lastly, I would say “what's more pathetic is seeing people who take overly simplistic views on issues!”

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

War On Terrorism: India Pledges To Train Nigerian Security - Vanguard / Nnamdi Kanu Handcuffed In Court Today - Photos And Video / Godwin Emefiele: Don’t Panic; No Nigerian Bank Is Distressed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.