Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,487 members, 7,836,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity (8464 Views)

Northern Nigeria Governors Endorse Action Against Shiites / IBB Endorses Muhammadu Buhari For President - SaharaReporters / Festus Keyamo Shreds Gej, Endorses Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by omo9ja1(m): 11:36am On Mar 28, 2012
Good move, but again FG need to do thier home work well, because the british are very cleaver and smart, let us get figures and prove our argument
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Funkymallam(m): 11:44am On Mar 28, 2012
dayorx: banning an airline because of expensive business and first class fares is just plain stupid. why dont you impose taxes on them and make them pay for landing slots just as Arik needs to pay at heathrow....how does banning slove any issue it is d common man that will suffer, people that fly economy. i'm sick and tired of GEJ and his knee jerk reactions to everytin....It just doesnt make economic sense..BA and Virgin employ Nigerians,sleep in nigerian hotels and pay bills here maintain offices this is just plain stupid.

And u think that will not further increase the fares charged?
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by goldng: 11:48am On Mar 28, 2012
at their own peril
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by dabrake(m): 11:50am On Mar 28, 2012
gboye_1999: Its not the best route to handle this. there are much more subtle methods. The same approach BA uses to stifle competition.

The aviation minister should just find out how much BA and others pay for slots in Nigeria, increase it if need be.
tell all government details: Governors, senators, ministers and the rest to patronize Nigerian. Simply go Arik while enforcing arik to improve their standards.
I know a state in Nigeria where all state executive members fly a particular multinational carrier. That alone helps the capital flight the economy is experiencing, multinational carriers always repatriate large chunk they earn out of this country still with their low wage bill.
my guy, the g[b]a[/b]y lords won't agree. If persuasion fails, apply force. Violence works well with the nasal speaking albino escapees.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Ikonz(m): 12:13pm On Mar 28, 2012
musiwa,,.:
what ball is that, it only show, they lack understand of the issues. here is it, flight to nigeria is cheaper than any part of west africa. all the airlines , nigerian pay less than other west african. population is the reason why nigerian pay less. .

nigerian pay less than people from togo, ghana, senegal etc they can ask for waiver for airport taxes
(put on my eye-lens & searches for satelite images..cant see any) musiwa s'up na? Post d damn satelite stuffs to support this claim na!
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by kokoA(m): 12:16pm On Mar 28, 2012
Wetin concern me inside dey mata sef? If dem want make dem ban dem, me no even know where Airport dey talkless of to travle go London.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by phonebook: 12:21pm On Mar 28, 2012
Dis pple only fite for d rich. Who is fighting for the common farmer/fisherman in d nigerdelta region full of pollution and gas flaring?abi we no get minister for environment again?
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by paparazy09(m): 12:25pm On Mar 28, 2012
dayorx: banning an airline because of expensive business and first class fares is just plain stupid. why dont you impose taxes on them and make them pay for landing slots just as Arik needs to pay at heathrow....how does banning slove any issue it is d common man that will suffer, people that fly economy. i'm sick and tired of GEJ and his knee jerk reactions to everytin....It just doesnt make economic sense..BA and Virgin employ Nigerians,sleep in nigerian hotels and pay bills here maintain offices this is just plain stupid.

I really don't how some of us reason.How does imposing taxes on the already inflated prices going to help the situation?

It will only increase the fares as the burden of tax will be transferred to the passengers.Make we dey think well before we talk abeg!
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by teskyg: 12:44pm On Mar 28, 2012
fresh Air @ 2015.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by sucre05: 12:47pm On Mar 28, 2012
Again, Nigerian politicians are fighting for their own interests. If this fight was genuinely for the average Nigerian, I will have no issue.
Govt officials and thier corrupt cohorts in the private sector are the ones who fly business/first class. Why won't the airlines take advantage of the excess money they have to waste. This move is probably to make them afford to fly more family members and friends in first class on thier numerous foreign trips.

If the price disparity affects only economy, i'm very sure they would't bother.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by theviper1: 12:49pm On Mar 28, 2012
the moderators of nairaland dey fall my hand. yes i know that we have the freedom of thought and expression,bt then not all that is thought or expressed should be 4 public consumption.some should be done in the privacy of our toilets.examples are the posts of @musiwa and @dayorx. these 2 posts on this airline issue shouldnt have seen the light of day here.they should have been consigned to where they belong-gutter.what are those folks using,brains or akpu? tufiaakwa.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 28, 2012
@beaf your oga is starting to get my respect with the south Africa thing and now BA, if he keeps it up i will campaign for him com 2015, but he needs to take more steps because this idi88ts are starting to take us for a joke. he should also look into this their outrageous visa charges.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Tolexander: 12:53pm On Mar 28, 2012
afam4eva: It seems GEJ and his team only grow balls when government people are affected directly. A case in point was the issue with the south African airport authority over the repatriation of Nigerians, one of which was a senator. Now, just because the bulk of Nigerians that are flying the first class are governors, senators, ministers and other government functionaries, they're taking things to a whole new level. Would they even had bothered if it were the average Nigerians that were affected?
u made sense with this ur post. Moreover, were u the 1 i whose response i was reading to the south african trash on the soweto forum concernin thier government's apology to nigeria?
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Yeske2(m): 12:55pm On Mar 28, 2012
I am with the government on this one, BA and VA must be taught a lesson just hoping GEJ has enough balls to carry it out to the letter.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Yeske2(m): 1:01pm On Mar 28, 2012
musiwa,,.:
what ball is that, it only show, they lack understand of the issues. here is it, flight to nigeria is cheaper than any part of west africa. all the airlines , nigerian pay less than other west african. population is the reason why nigerian pay less. .

nigerian pay less than people from togo, ghana, senegal etc they can ask for waiver for airport taxes
Na vision i dey see and did you just Nigerians pay less?
Ok, it's you Musiwa
*sighs*
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by onyengbu: 1:03pm On Mar 28, 2012
[size=18pt]The price disparity is not only in Business class. It is also there in economy!

Why do you guys always jump into conclusions![/size]!!

Check vanguard home page here and see the table. http://www.vanguardngr.com/epaper/2012/march/28032012/index.html

Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Businesstools(m): 1:04pm On Mar 28, 2012
I'm 100% in support of GEJ on this.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by ideylaff: 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2012
faithin9ja: @Beaf

Unlike most nairalanders, I don't usually disagree with you, but this point I think the Aviation minister is misguiding her Oga.

Apparently the economy fares between Ghana and UK, and Nigeria and UK are similar, the problem is the business and first class fares. Really should the government be worrying about the 'luxury end ' of the travel business? It's bit like complaining that Mercedes Benz or BMW's are too expensive.

BA and Virgin are doing what businesses do; they use the business class and first class to subsidize the 'populo side'

Ghana probably has cheaper business and first class, because the Ghanaians have enough sense or not enough money to be rushing for seats that cost up ten (10) times the economy side on the same plane.

A long haul flight probably has 350 seats of which maybe 60 are business/ first class, in Nigeria those most expensive seats are quickly snapped up (by civil servants and oil executives no doubt) meanwhile the rest of us dey back of plane.

Now the Nigerian government wants to go war over the cost of the most expensive seats, please they shouldn't jeopardize the ease of getting flights for poor traders like us that have to manage 'talakwa class' because they feel first class should cost $5000 instead of $6000.

When last did Stella Oduah and her staff travel abroad using Arik?

GOD bless you @ faithin9ja u just spoke my mind... nor be dem FG/State Politricians dey full de plane... how ,any of dem dey enter Arik... yeye dey smell big time. Knee Jerk reactin with no thinking 1st....na 2day
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2012
This govt is a failure forever.All we need in this country is a new breed of non-corrpt pple to stand for justice and equity,that will move us to our greater height.We are tired of all this amature so-called govt in power.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Beaf: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2012
onye_ngbu*:
[size=18pt]The price disparity is not only in Business class. It is also there in economy!

Why do you guys always jump into conclusions![/size]!!

Check vanguard home page here and see the table. http://www.vanguardngr.com/epaper/2012/march/28032012/index.html

Don't mind 9ja's jare. Many of us don't bother to read details.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Vavavoom(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2012
The first question that readily came to my mind: What in terms of price difference exist between Arik vs BA/VA on that route?

Arik may be relatively substandard in their welfare schemes but it will never grow beyond neither meet Nigeian High-flyer requirements if same flyers fail to patronize it to grow. It is not a enough for our government to bicker at the diplomatic level - what will is for Nigerian passengers - high or low-flyer to vote with their feet and fly Arik. That way we keep the forex as well as drive the bargain on our side.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by kutchs: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2012
Some pple are so damn difficult that they are never satisfied. If the govt does not fight you say it is bc they can afford the fare nd now the fight they are fighting for themselves. The govt may not be meeting all our expectations rite now but it is gud we give it credit for even d little it does. Why a passenger on weda economy or executive class to Nigeria shud be charged higher than anoda one to Ghana is wot I dont understand. Nigeria nd Ghana are approximately d same distance 4rm d UK, the passengers gets the same kind of treatment on board nd yet they pay diff. It is not fair.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Beaf: 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
DivideUs: @beaf your oga is starting to get my respect with the south Africa thing and now BA, if he keeps it up i will campaign for him com 2015, but he needs to take more steps because this idi88ts are starting to take us for a joke. he should also look into this their outrageous visa charges.

I agree with you though that we have to put our foot down firmly with certain foreign companies and countries. These clowns have grown used to seeing Nigeria as a place where anything goes and the people as donkeys they can hitch a free ride on. Such insults and exploitation must stop.

With things like this, we will slowly begin to develop the self-pride that is necessary to push forward and develop.

By the way, GEJ is not my oga, I am just a fan. I believe he is a man of the people as he has shown over and over. Not just with the SA and BA actions, but with the airlifting of Nigerians out of trouble spots like Libya and Egypt; it was the first time in our history that such concern was displayed by the FG.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
if the govt imposes landing cost, taxes and all other charges, then the airlines will in turn pass the difference on the nigerian passengers, u get the gist. I think govt is on the right track with this.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Kx: 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
Can our govt ever resolve issues without talks about flexing muscles?
Ghana, SA, now UK, the list is growing.

Executive fiat does not and cannot solve economic realities.
Make our eco environ as business friendly as Ghana and d rest and see if cost of goods
and services wont come down naturally.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by Bastiger(m): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
This of course is a diversion 4rm the main issues facing d nation.be that as it may,i hope gej will have eno4 balls to face up to issues that concern ordinary nigerians who dnt knw d road that leads 2any airport.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by oradee: 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2012
Beaf:

I agree with you though that we have to put our foot down firmly with certain foreign companies and countries. These clowns have grown used to seeing Nigeria as a place where anything goes and the people as donkeys they can hitch a free ride on. Such insults and exploitation must stop.

With things like this, we will slowly begin to develop the self-pride that is necessary to push forward and develop.

By the way, GEJ is not my oga, I am just a fan. I believe he is a man of the people as he has shown over and over. Not just with the SA and BA actions, but with the airlifting of Nigerians out of trouble spots like Libya and Egypt; it was the first time in our history that such concern was displayed by the FG.

ok....but what about our National carrier?
and if Arik air is the new kid on the block, why dont GEJ make it a law that its strictly Arik for all foreign trips?
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by MARKREN: 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
I fail to understand how sanctioning BA and Virgin adds up in GEJ "Transformation Agenda" (We Nigerians never run out of phrases. I can name a few: Operation feed the nation, Health, Education, Food, Housing, etc for all by the year 2000, Vision 2010, NEEDS, SEEDS, Poverty Alleviation Programme, 7 Point Agenda, Vision 2020 now we have Transformation Agenda. It is as if we believe by saying over and over, again and again that it will meraculusly happen.)

1st what is the proportion of Nigerians who travel to the UK & other foreign destinations from NIG compared with our 160M population. To me GEJ is beginning to look like the proverbial ostrich who hides by burying its heat in the sand.

No power, No roads, No water, Boko Haram is terrorising Northern Nig., People are losing their jobs every day, Kidnapping is beginning to rear its ugly head again in different parts of the country, Factories are closing down every day, Corruption is now at a new high all over the country and the President is worrying himself with the cost of British Airways & Virgin Biz & First Class ticket prices simply becos our Senators, House of Reps, Govs, LG chairmen, corrupt biz men and looters of our common wealth say it is too expensive. Anyone who works hard for his money will think twice before he/she embark on frivolous foreign trips in the first place.

And the worst part is that some people blindly support this waste of time, simply becos he comes from their part of the country. Pls to those supporting this how does this solve any of the problems I mentioned above.

How has the President addressed the high cost of doing Biz in this country to justify this harassment from our Govt. I have tried to run a small biz in this country and failed due to in no small part, the nightmarish operating conditions in this country.

Can we compare the operating conditions to other countries? Beside should the Govt & Nat. Assembly not be trying to help local airlines who can serve as competition to the foreign ones and bring down prices through such policies as "Fly Nigeria" (compelling all govt officials to fly Nigerian Airlines as is obtained in US & UK), reducing operating fees and charges, providing credit lines and leveling the playing felid for serious airlines as is done in other countries.

GEJ has got to be the most incompetent and clueless President this country has ever had.

I am sorry I am saying this about a man old enough to be called an "elder" but it is one thing not to know anything. It is however another thing not to know that one does not know anything.

This is where we are as a country now "Blind People Leading Other Blind People.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by faithin9ja: 4:02pm On Mar 28, 2012
I fail to understand how sanctioning BA and Virgin adds up in GEJ "Transformation Agenda" (We Nigerians never run out of phrases. I can name a few: Operation feed the nation, Health, Education, Food, Housing, etc for all by the year 2000, Vision 2010, NEEDS, SEEDS, Poverty Alleviation Programme, 7 Point Agenda, Vision 2020 now we have Transformation Agenda. It is as if we believe by saying over and over, again and again that it will meraculusly happen.)

1st what is the proportion of Nigerians who travel to the UK & other foreign destinations from NIG compared with our 160M population. To me GEJ is beginning to look like the proverbial ostrich who hides by burying its heat in the sand.

No power, No roads, No water, Boko Haram is terrorising Northern Nig., People are losing their jobs every day, Kidnapping is beginning to rear its ugly head again in different parts of the country, Factories are closing down every day, Corruption is now at a new high all over the country and the President is worrying himself with the cost of British Airways & Virgin Biz & First Class ticket prices simply becos our Senators, House of Reps, Govs, LG chairmen, corrupt biz men and looters of our common wealth say it is too expensive. Anyone who works hard for his money will think twice before he/she embark on frivolous foreign trips in the first place.

And the worst part is that some people blindly support this waste of time, simply becos he comes from their part of the country. Pls to those supporting this how does this solve any of the problems I mentioned above.

How has the President addressed the high cost of doing Biz in this country to justify this harassment from our Govt. I have tried to run a small biz in this country and failed due to in no small part, the nightmarish operating conditions in this country.

Can we compare the operating conditions to other countries? Beside should the Govt & Nat. Assembly not be trying to help local airlines who can serve as competition to the foreign ones and bring down prices through such policies as "Fly Nigeria" (compelling all govt officials to fly Nigerian Airlines as is obtained in US & UK), reducing operating fees and charges, providing credit lines and leveling the playing felid for serious airlines as is done in other countries.

GEJ has got to be the most incompetent and clueless President this country has ever had.

I am sorry I am saying this about a man old enough to be called an "elder" but it is one thing not to know anything. It is however another thing not to know that one does not know anything.

This is where we are as a country now "Blind People Leading Other Blind People.
[color=#006600][/color]

This one of the most intelligent observations I have read on nairaland - young man with people like, I still have some faith in 9ja. smiley smiley smiley
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by aikuda(m): 4:13pm On Mar 28, 2012
What is with Nigerians self. Why all this self loath and pity. When will all this inferiority complex stop. In fact this is the main problem. The Govt is trying to correct a trade imbalance, and people are saying they shouldnt just because there is no power or good road in nigeria. How does that relate to air travellers exploitation by people who still see us as their colonial wards? The economics is simple: Nugeria is the biggest market in Africa, based on economics of scale principle, we should be paying less. The risk of flying to and from nigeria is lower for any airline whether is in the economy or more premium class.

Some people dont like that the government is doing this because they feel they dont take first class, or that it is only corrupt politicians that take first class. First, pray that one day you will be able to take first class. Second, there are many hardworking Nigerians business people who need to take first class or buy first class tickets for business associates because business strive first on impression. Its the same reason westerners do it.
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by clemmonce(m): 4:54pm On Mar 28, 2012
musiwa,,.:

look at you so u understand the issue pass d ministry of aviation. cool down o
Re: GEJ Endorses Action Against BA, Virgin Atlantic Over Regional Fare Disparity by MARKREN: 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2012
aikuda: What is with Nigerians self. Why all this self loath and pity. When will all this inferiority complex stop. In fact this is the main problem. The Govt is trying to correct a trade imbalance, and people are saying they shouldnt just because there is no power or good road in nigeria. How does that relate to air travellers exploitation by people who still see us as their colonial wards? The economics is simple: Nugeria is the biggest market in Africa, based on economics of scale principle, we should be paying less. The risk of flying to and from nigeria is lower for any airline whether is in the economy or more premium class.

Some people dont like that the government is doing this because they feel they dont take first class, or that it is only corrupt politicians that take first class. First, pray that one day you will be able to take first class. Second, there are many hardworking Nigerians business people who need to take first class or buy first class tickets for business associates because business strive first on impression. Its the same reason westerners do it.

@Aikuda,

What has inferiority complex got to do with this issue? This is simple case of Demand Vs Supply (what his advisers have refused to tell him).

If the Govt is worried about high prices they should focus on creating supply in order to force prices down. I guess from your argument then govt should regulate prices of everything :food, drinks , call rates, clothes, house rent etc including the toll gate fees charged by Lagos state. Let me ask why are house rent prices higher in Lagos than in Ibadan, Enugu & Kano? It is demand and supply. There are not enough houses to cater for the growing population of Lagos. How do u solve the problem? By creating infrastructure and pushing people outside Lagos & creating a means to still commute & work in Lagos. This is not rocket science; it is what obtains all over the world). How did NCC break the stronghold of MTN?: by issuing Glo (a serious local investor) a license (at a much cheaper rate than that paid by MTN)

Remember that GEJ tried to force down the price of cement last year. What is the result Cement still sell for 2K/bag retail price.

Same principle applies airlines fares. We have a much higher population than Ghana & other African countries we quickly compare ourselves with, while operating costs are lower in those countries compared to our country. What have we done to increase supply by helping local airlines eg Arik, Virgin Nigeria (now dead as usual due to our inability to uphold signed agreements) Belview (also dead) etc.

On the issue of praying to be able to afford a First/Biz class ticket, like i said earlier, a hard working person will weigh the costs and the benefits of spending his/her money whether on himself or on someone else whether for BIZ or Pleasure.
This is what is missing in our country. We have a lot of "rent seekers" (imaginary/emergency big men) in this country, a lot of people who do nothing and possess no genuine source of wealth, but earn a lot of money. As a result we do not cut costs according to our real income, and weigh our actions before we take them. We now push everything we want to achieve to God without supporting it with hard work (like some people will say just prophesy it and it will come to pass!!!!!).

Why should I pray to afford a first/biz class ticket if I do not genuine need it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers / Rochas Okorocha Acting crucified Jesus On Good Friday (pics) / They Discharged 25 People With Malaria Not Coronavirus - Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.