Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa (152498 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. / Beautiful Faces Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by macof(m): 12:32am On Nov 17, 2013
How Oromo and Amharic reach there?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 3:25am On Nov 17, 2013
Bazil: wrong,hausa were recognised as an ethnic group of gabon in 2005, hausas have been in gabon since the 1890s or so and are mostly found in the nort and north east of the country. the number of hausa speackers in gabon is closer to 35000 and not 100 000 like someone suggested earlier. among the politicians some are hausa and as a manner of fact miss gabon 2001 was an hausa girl called aicha sidi. i am also pretty much sure hausas can be found in cameroon as well.

He means countries that Hausa are native to. Hausa are not native to Gabon. Hausas are a Sahelian people. Gabon is nowhere near the Sahel. So it would make sense that Niger, Nigeria, and possibly Chad are the only countries that Hausa people are indigenous.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Bazil(m): 10:37pm On Nov 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

He means countries that Hausa are native to. Hausa are not native to Gabon. Hausas are a Sahelian people. Gabon is nowhere near the Sahel. So it would make sense that Niger, Nigeria, and possibly Chad are the only countries that Hausa people are indigenous.

I know that, but the discussion is about people that speak a particular language ,in our case Hausa. So whether Hausa people are indigenous to Gabon or not is irrelevant, because the fact remains that the language is spoken there by thousands of Gabonese Hausa. Just like English, french,Arabic,Portuguese and Spanish arnt indigenous to Africa but are still spoken by millions of Africans.

And my previous comment was not directed to him only.
Nayah:

Good morning, if you base your analysis on Wilkipiedia's sources you could be mistaken because references are written from "ordinary"people like you and I meanwhile we need to disociate the most spoken from the most used! MANDARIN (a chinese language among others) is more spoken than English while English is the most spreding and used language in the World. So the same for Swahili and Hausa. Sorry but Swahili hands down

PS As for Gabon there's NO hausa as tribe in this country but only immigrants[b][/b].
[quote author=Nayah]

The bolded part is wrong. Hausa arnt in gabon only as immigrants.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by anonymous6(f): 11:13pm On Nov 17, 2013
Interesting thread
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:58pm On Nov 21, 2013
One_Naira:

Oromo, Amharic, Yoruba and Igbo shouldn't even be on the list.

How did they make it in the list and Fulani and Lingala did not?
How many places have you heard Fulfude spoken? Though the Fulani defeated the Hausa states beginning from 1804, the Hausa defeated them linguistically.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Akpaife(m): 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
Yoruba came before Igbo!! Yaay! grin grin grin
Igbo ds igbo dat u guys cnt do without igbos

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2013
ifyalways: LOL @ list.Aside Swahili and Hausa,the list is funnnny.
Why not check any ENCYCLOPEDIA to verify? Or is it because Hausa is mentioned?
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ngodigha1: There are no Hausa in Gabon or any Central African country. The Hausas found outside Nigeria and Niger are immigrants to those countries.
Originally they were immigrants. But they are now citizens.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2013
ifyalways: LOL @ list.Aside Swahili and Hausa,the list is funnnny.
Sorry. I read it as "list aside", "Swahili and Hausa, the list is funny" Accept my apology.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 4:37pm On Nov 21, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
How many places have you heard Fulfude spoken? Though the Fulani defeated the Hausa states beginning from 1804, the Hausa defeated them linguistically.

In every west African country, fulfulde/pular is widespread with about 10 million speakers found in Northeast Nigeria. Adamawa, Gombe, Jos, etc has a lot of Fulani people.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by macof(m): 2:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
Fulaman198:

In every west African country, fulfulde/pular is widespread with about 10 million speakers found in Northeast Nigeria. Adamawa, Gombe, Jos, etc has a lot of Fulani people.

But how often is the language spoken? I have never heard fula, all the fulani I know speak Hausa
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Kponkwem(m): 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
I think the Igbo language is highly spoken by millions in non-indegenous commercial clusters across Nigerian and Africa. But it would have fared far better if the native Igbo descendants of the returneee slaves in Sierra Leone and Equatorial Guinea and Gabon are to understand the language.

They should number in their millions, and when added to offsprings of Biafran war evacuees in Gabon, Zambia and Cote d'Ivoire it would have been a strong African population. Also, there are massive Igbo descendants in Haiti, Brazil, Jamaica, Honduras and Southern USA.

The Hausa language is the highest in West Africa. The use of the language by the BBC, VOA, Deutche welle, China radio etc attests to this. Lately many international christian channels, having realised that the Igbo has the highest christian population bloc in Africa, have been using the language in their broadcasts. We hope to see the mainstream channels do same.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Kponkwem(m): 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
I think the Igbo language is highly spoken by millions in non-indegenous commercial clusters across Nigerian and Africa. But it would have fared far better if the native Igbo descendants of the returneee slaves in Sierra Leone and Equatorial Guinea and Gabon are to understand the language.

They should number in their millions, and when added to offsprings of Biafran war evacuees in Gabon, Zambia and Cote d'Ivoire it would have been a strong African population. Also, there are massive Igbo descendants in Haiti, Brazil, Jamaica, Honduras and Southern USA.

The Hausa language is the highest in West Africa. The use of the language by the BBC, VOA, Deutche welle, China radio etc attests to this. Lately many international christian channels, having realised that the Igbo has the highest christian population bloc in Africa, have been using the language in their broadcasts. We hope to see the mainstream channels do same.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Fulaman198:

The question is, how many Fulo speak Fulfulde? Most of them, especially those in Nigeria, speak Hausa.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Onlytruth(m): 1:04am On Nov 23, 2013
Someone here questioned the inclusion of Igbo in the top ten, I wonder why? A language spoken by at least 30 million people?
The list is very good and represents the closest answer to the truth.

BTW I LOVE Swahili. It gives me goose pimples each time I hear it.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 23, 2013
@original poster

Swahili is not spoken in southern Somalia or Ethiopia. It is the other way around, Somali is spoken in north eastern Kenya. The southern Oromo in Ethiopia are called Borana and they speak their own Oromo dialect.

macof: How Oromo and Amharic reach there?

32 million Oromos in Ethiopia alone. Amharic is the official language of Ethiopia thus making it a language spoken by 90 million people.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by olumidaie(m): 12:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
Fulaman198:

do you mean PEOPLE? The total number of Fulani range from 22-24 million, of which 12 million( including those taged with Hausa) are in Nigeria: making them the fourth lagest ethnic group in Nigeria after WA-ZO-BIA.

Most of the Fulani in Hausaland and Sokoto speak Hausa; while those in Gombe and Adamawa speak Fulani( yet, they still large speaking Hausa people there). Mind you it's not only Fula that are in Gombe and Adamawa. Gombe has 70 ethnic groups; and Adamawa has dozens of ethnic groups.

So your claim on 10 million fulfude speaker is false. Both In Nigeria and the whole of W. Africa.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 7:24pm On Nov 23, 2013
macof:

But how often is the language spoken? I have never heard fula, all the fulani I know speak Hausa

Adamawa, Gombe, Taraba (Jalingo) all speak Fulfulde. It is very widely spoken in Northeastern Nigeria.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 7:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
The question is, how many Fulo speak Fulfulde? Most of them, especially those in Nigeria, speak Hausa.

There are about 20 million ethnic Fulani in Nigeria out of those 20 million 10 million speak Fulfulde. Fulfulde is spoken in every west African country. It is even spoken in Chad, Cameroon, Central African republic by my fellow Mbororo brothers.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 7:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
olumidaie:

do you mean PEOPLE? The total number of Fulani range from 22-24 million, of which 12 million( including those taged with Hausa) are in Nigeria: making them the fourth lagest ethnic group in Nigeria after WA-ZO-BIA.

Most of the Fulani in Hausaland and Sokoto speak Hausa; while those in Gombe and Adamawa speak Fulani( yet, they still large speaking Hausa people there). Mind you it's not only Fula that are in Gombe and Adamawa. Gombe has 70 ethnic groups; and Adamawa has dozens of ethnic groups.

So your claim on 10 million fulfude speaker is false. Both In Nigeria and the whole of W. Africa.

Total Fulani number about 20 - 25 million with about half Fulani speakers being found in Nigeria and Cameroon. Highest concentration of Fulani people however is found in Guinea-Conakry country. In every west African country you will find people who speak the Fulani language. Even in central Africa, Chad, Cameroon and the Central African Republic has its share of Fulani speakers.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
olumidaie:

Sorry but you are giving false information

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_language
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by mensdept: 6:30pm On Nov 24, 2013
Its good that we know or think we know the top 10 languages spoken. Lets clap for ourselves.

Now can we get the top 10 or best regions in black africa, the best governors or projects or economies or airports.

What about the top ten african country names and meanings that are african and not given by the white masters if we are looking to stroke ego
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 8:15pm On Nov 24, 2013
mens dept: Its good that we know or think we know the top 10 languages spoken. Lets clap for ourselves.

Now can we get the top 10 or best regions in black africa, the best governors or projects or economies or airports.

What about the top ten african country names and meanings that are african and not given by the white masters if we are looking to stroke ego

We can make a thread on that my friend.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by ZACHIE: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
Once again, every demographic about our Northern folks is false.
The same region that lays claim to a dominant Hausa language region is equally laying claim to Fulfude as the next big thing in the same region.
Unfortunately, demographics is not politics. You cannot claim Hausa and fulfulde as native first languages in the same group.
So, let our northern folk tell us: are you Hausa or fulfulde speaking lot?
Igbo language has got to be fastest growing language in my opinion.
Yoruba is the least expanding. The native speakers have suddenly become sophisticated enough to despise their own language.
Seriously, Swahili is the most widespread language in Africa followed by Hausa regardless of their Fulfulde shenanigan.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 2:41am On Nov 25, 2013
ZACHIE: Once again, every demographic about our Northern folks is false.
The same region that lays claim to a dominant Hausa language region is equally laying claim to Fulfude as the next big thing in the same region.
Unfortunately, demographics is not politics. You cannot claim Hausa and fulfulde as native first languages in the same group.
So, let our northern folk tell us: are you Hausa or fulfulde speaking lot?
Igbo language has got to be fastest growing language in my opinion.
Yoruba is the least expanding. The native speakers have suddenly become sophisticated enough to despise their own language.
Seriously, Swahili is the most widespread language in Africa followed by Hausa regardless of their Fulfulde shenanigan.

Let us not be naive. If Nigeria a country that has a population of 165 million has a Fulani speaking population of 10 million that would mean native Fulani like me make up 6.1% of the population.... I don't see the big deal seems very realistic to me.

The problem with most naive Nigerians is that they think Fulani language is only spoken in Nigeria, when it is actually spoken in every west African country, and 4 central African countries.

The link I linked proves there are 25 million NATIVE Fulani speakers, where about 10-11 million of those come from Nigeria.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by StarFlux: 9:08am On Nov 25, 2013
I believe the amount of Fulfulde speakers is fairly accurate (13,6 million) if you look at other sources than Wikipedia. As seen here as well: http://www.ethnologue.com/language/fub
I'm not sure where they get the 25 million figure from though.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make ZACHIE.
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 3:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
StarFlux: I believe the amount of Fulfulde speakers is fairly accurate (13,6 million) if you look at other sources than Wikipedia. As seen here as well: http://www.ethnologue.com/language/fub
I'm not sure where they get the 25 million figure from though.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make ZACHIE.

If you combine Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, Chad it is about that number. Remember in the far west of west Africa, the language is called Pular or Puular.

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by StarFlux: 8:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
Fulaman198:

If you combine Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, Chad it is about that number. Remember in the far west of west Africa, the language is called Pular or Puular.

That makes sense.

Nice one!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by babaireti(m): 5:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
Baayanjida: Hausa ranked first in Africa and according to Wikipedia Hausa ranked 34th in the World ( 6000 languages) most spoken languages by Native speakers.
The stastistic was based on the first language.While Swahili ranked 59th in the world.
Oromo of Ethiopia ranked second behind Hausa in Africa and 56th in the world.
Yoruba ranked 3rd,Amharic 4th,Igbo 5th,Fulani 6th,Somali 7th in Africa.
These stastistics are based on the daily most spoken languages by Native speakers,not second language speakers.

The Northern Nigeria is dominated by Hausa,and the total Population of Northern Nigerian is over 70 millions.Almost of these Northern states speak Hausa languages.

55% of total population of the republic of Niger are Native Hausa which is equal to over 8 millions to the total of 16 millions of Nigeriens are Native Hausa.Almost 90% of Nigeriens speak Hausa ,or close to over 14 millions of Niger citizen speak Hausa.

When you Go to Ghana,there are Over 5 millions Ghanains who speak Hausa either first or second language.

What about Sudan,where there are over 1 million Sudanese Hausa,who speak Hausa as first language alongside of Arabic.

Cameroon,over there are Native Hausa who are numbered little bit more over 500,000 ,and another 500,000 speak Hausa as second language.

Benin,Hausa is the first most spoken foreign language alongside of indigenous languages of Benin.

Togo has noticeble Hausa speakers,and Hausa is also using to broacast on Togolese National Radio station ( Radio Lome )

Gabon has more than 100,000 Hausa speakers.

There more than 50,000 Hausa speakers in Algeria.

Libya also has few 1000s Hausa speakers.

Cote D'Ivoire has couple 100s of 1000s Hausa speakers.

Go to Senegal,there you will see numbered Hausa speaker.

The current speakers of Hausa Language is Numbered to over 100 millions included 65 millions speak Hausa as first language ( 45 million Native speakers)

Wherearea,Swahili has 5 million to 8 millions Native speakers,and ranked 59th in the world way behind Yoruba 48th,Igbo 55th in the world 6000 languages
Even in Chad,they speak Hausa

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Fulaman198(m): 5:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
baba ireti:
Even in Chad,they speak Hausa

Well it is a Chadic language
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Gamji007: 9:26am On Dec 07, 2013
Yoruba came before Igbo!! Yaay! grin grin grin

Lol! cheesy
Re: Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa by Nobody: 11:40pm On Nov 10, 2014
Rubbish list.
Where is Fulfulde-Pulaar?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language / 23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.