Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,396 members, 7,853,759 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 11:31 PM

Thanks Mr Jude Obionwu For Replying Oprah! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thanks Mr Jude Obionwu For Replying Oprah! (798 Views)

Jude Nkama Appointed As Judge In New Jersey / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thanks Mr Jude Obionwu For Replying Oprah! by dollyshow(f): 3:04am On Nov 01, 2007
After watching on dstv that day, i felt pained in my heart that why didnt Oprah blame those thieves for thinking with 5,000 or 10,000 dollars deposit they will have claims to a dead man's claimed foreign account. I had to join oprah.com, aired my own views, sent a personal email to her, " though i didn't know if she got it" that why did she rubbish us like that?? Nigerians are not the only sending this letter , people do from other countries as well.
The image Nigerian, is only God that can help us to redeem our image abroad!
pls read on what i came across online,

OPRAH, 419 AND NIGERIA'S IMAGE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listened with despair as my sister narrated how Oprah ended her show about Nigerian fraudsters by telling everyone to hold on to their letters. She did not want to hear the Nigerians' sides of the story she just told America. A story that further casts Nigeria in much poorer light in the already biased minds of the world and especially the American public: a story about 419 fraudsters.

Oprah, the world philanthropist who built a $50 million school for poor South African girls. The first most powerful black woman on earth - after my mother and Nefetiti. Alright, I will not write to her. Instead I will write to the millions she just cast in a negative light in front of millions of her fellow Americans.

If one does a good deed to someone and turns around and spits in the recipient's face, the good deed is replaced with memories of anger and anguish. How can Oprah spend so much money to help revitalize a needy continent and turn around to bash the reputation of the most populous country in the same continent? This will leave one to surmise one thing: her purported good deed is for her own personal and emotional satisfaction; not meant for the benefit of the African recipients.

I have always had this love-hate relationship with her. In one show she will presents a good and humble personality and the next show she will come off as being pompous, slapdash, unnecessarily arrogant and unduly garrulous. Recently, on Larry King Live, she gushed, "The opening of MY leadership academy is the greatest day of MY life. Ever." It should have been the greatest day of those girls lives Oprah; not yours. It makes one to suspect it is all about her.

I don't want to turn this article into an issue about how I feel about her entire life-style. She worked hard for it and is entitled to it. My case with Oprah is her inability to know the power she wields behind the platform of her show. How easy it is to make and destroy. Or maybe she does. And meant to destroy Nigeria's image on that show. Her reason is best known to her. When she did and the way she did it, she touched me and millions of others. She may have given hundreds of children the chance to pursue a bright future in South Africa, but she single handedly broke the light bulbs of millions of other kids' lives in Nigeria.

advertisement

My wife and I feed the homeless. The first thing we teach volunteers is to treat the recipients of our benevolence with the utmost respect. The food you serve the homeless will not be appreciated if you show the slightest sign of disdain or disrespect for them. That is not Oprah's MO. Instead she used the most powerful tool she has to decimate the image of a country with over 150 million people just because of the ugly actions of a few. Right after she spends a whopping $50+ Million to build a school in the same continent. She knows what power she has with her show.

I am, by no means, supporting 419 fraudsters. But just like typical American way of seeing things, she did not want to hear the stories of the people who believe that with $5000.00 paid to a total stranger from the poorest continent in the world, they will be able to receive some deceased person's $1 Million. Oprah should realize that it takes two to tango. Her show should have been about those errant fools who search for the quick millions from Africa. Oh my, what fools. And, oh my, what unrepentant 419 imbeciles for giving Oprah do a show that gives the reason to make people look at me twice with suspicion every time I say I am a Nigerian. It should have been a balanced show, Oprah.

For the disrespectful way she presented the show, Nigerians will forever remember her; all the way to ignominy. Unless she uses the same platform to address the true facts. I am not saying that Oprah should not do a show about 419 fraudsters. She should remember to balance your stories

The South Africa she professes to love so much was paved in part by the billions of dollars Nigeria committed to the anti-apartheid cause.

This show brings up one important agenda the Nigerian government should seriously pursue: image laundering and stiffer penalties for 419ers. They are doing a lot more damage to Nigeria than we realize.

source::::::::::::: http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2007/may/033.html
Re: Thanks Mr Jude Obionwu For Replying Oprah! by almondjoy(f): 3:20am On Nov 01, 2007
We don hear!
Re: Thanks Mr Jude Obionwu For Replying Oprah! by evergie(m): 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2007
This oprah woman sef, how i wish she knows how angry we are.

(1) (Reply)

The World Will End In 2012 / Zenith Bank Share Offer Debuts! / Superman For President !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.